Utah

Piles of books burned in FLDS border town; would-be president cited in separate incident

Comments

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    May 3, 2011 11:16 p.m.

Is there any evidence this was an intentional burning and not just a fire due to the books being over-crowded in a small, probably flamable building?

I fully believe Warren Jeffs should serve time for his crimes, but this seems like a case of assuming the worst. Why is it assumed the fire is an arson?

• justcap Provo, UT
    April 20, 2011 9:32 a.m.

I think it's about time that the average members of the FLDS church stand up to all of the abuse and control--both physical and social. Burning all the donated books for a library is a sad situation, and the FLDS ought to take a stand against it.

• Livingstone Orem, UT
    April 18, 2011 10:52 p.m.

I cannot express my shock at this story to the level I believe it deserves without having my comment denied by the moderators. Suffice it to say, it saddens me that such a thing could happen in our country beyond words. I hope this story makes it to the front pages of newspapers around the industrialized world. It seems a terrible crime to burn books, even if the books are considered offensive or of bad quality.

• Captain Picard Houston, TX
    April 18, 2011 10:23 p.m.

The website for Americas Most Wanted TV show mentions on subject of Warren Jeffs, that Jeffs is admirer of Adolf Hitler, so it is appropriate to quote this from a German writer:

Heinrich Heine:

Das war ein Vorspiel nur, dort wo man B├╝cher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen

When people burn books, they will also burn people.

This plain scary!

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    April 18, 2011 9:28 p.m.

All my comments concerning these Washington county neighbors are always denied, but.....
    I will say it AGAIN. Those people are very strange. What will become of the children, growing up in such a peculiar environment?
    Burning books now!

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    April 18, 2011 8:49 p.m.

What a complete soap opera...