Trump may want to fire himself from Utah GOP presidential primary after new poll

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    April 19, 2011 4:09 p.m.

Utah is voting based on LDS candidates - while Trump has a lot of baggage, he may be what America needs. You can't trust any Dan Jones poll anyway.

• extremebricknmortar ocala, fl.
    April 12, 2011 9:58 a.m.

WE'LL see your DAN JONES & Associates 247 respondent statistically insignificant poll and raise you by 550,000 Newsmax respondents.

• extremebricknmortar ocala, fl.
    April 12, 2011 9:53 a.m.

We'll SEE YOUR DAN JONES & ASSOCIATES non-statistically significant 247 respondent poll and raise you by 550,000 NEWSMAX respondents!
    Numbers don't lie!
    Please, Dan should know better, 247 respondents, TWO standard deviations is virtually meaningless!

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    April 11, 2011 5:09 p.m.

I tell ya'... all these elections and candidacies and political races sure remind me a lot of Professional Wrestling.

See some guys in fancy clothes get in the ring, say strong words and make a few jabs. But in the end it is really all an act.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    April 11, 2011 12:30 p.m.

To "Pagan | 8:23 a.m" But Obama was just following the agreement that Bush made with the government of Iraq.

From NPR we read "Bush To Withdraw Troops From Iraq" written in September 2008.

Go and read up on the "U.S.-Iraq Status of Forces Agreement ", which was finalized in October 2008 by Bush's advisors.

• FarnsworthPMacGillicuddy Layton, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:30 a.m.

The Donald is indeed a self-serving publicity hound, but unlike our current "choices" in the GOP, he alone ADMITS it. I'm no fan of Mitt. Huntsman any day over Romney or Huckabee. Both of those guys are inconsequential and devoid of reality. There are far better candidates for Utah GOP people to vote for than Romney. How many of the LDS faithful here in Utah would vote for Brother Harry Reid? See? Same difference, there's NO difference between Reid or Romney except for the letters after their names.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2011 8:23 a.m.

'Umm, I thought Obama was the President now, and we're still fighting wars in both countries. Does Obama have any plans that include getting us out of Iraq and Afghanistan?' - Rifleman | 6:49 a.m.

*'Last U.S. combat brigade leaves Iraq' - By Rebecca Santana - AP - Published by DSNews - 08/19/10

'Seven years and five months after the U.S.-led invasion, the last American combat brigade was leaving Iraq, well ahead of President Barack Obama's Aug. 31 deadline for ending U.S. combat operations there.'

So, when Bush said he wouldn't 'cut and run'...

he meant just until his term ended?

I love how 'Obama's president now'...

and I guess that means Republicans don't have to take responsibility for two wars based on lies.

Obama INHERITED those wars.

Obama did not start Iraq and Afghanistan.

Republican leadership:

'I thought Obama was president now.'

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 11, 2011 6:49 a.m.

Re: Pagan | 3:41 p.m. April 10, 2011
    "Bush started the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan .... and then left us there."

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    April 10, 2011 7:45 p.m.

"To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day."
    "This country belongs to the people. Its resources, its business, its laws, its institutions, should be utilized, maintained, or altered in whatever manner will best promote the general interest.'
    These 2 quotes from Theodore Roosevelt are as true in our day as it was in his.
    I hope to see a statesman rise to the challenge today. That is who I can support wholeheartedly.

• hispanic from AF American Fork, UT
    April 10, 2011 6:10 p.m.

I forgot to say in my last message that Trump is my favorite candidate, so far. He speaks my mind.

• hispanic from AF American Fork, UT
    April 10, 2011 6:08 p.m.

Yes, in Utah we know what Republicans do....and no.....we do not like it! They cave to pressure from churches and Chamber of Commerce. What an eye opener the behaviour of the last Legislature was? I know for sure now to be very leery to vote for one of them, locally or nationally. I will not vote for Romney, Hunstman, nor any other religious candidate. The separation of Church and State is very difficult for these individuals. I will not take a chance! Thank you!! Republicans in the Utah's legislature. You have made an independent voter out of me.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2011 5:11 p.m.

'The main advantage that Donald Trump has is his willingness to see the importance of President Obama hiding his birth certificate and other records.' - MarieDevine Divine-Way | 4:27 p.m.

Reply fact:

*'Ex-Hawaii official denounces 'ludicrous' birther claims' - NBC - 04/10/11

'The Hawaiian state health official who personally reviewed Barack Obama's original birth certificate has affirmed again that the document is "real" and denounced "conspiracy theorists" in the so-called "birther" movement for continuing to spread bogus claims about the issue.

"Its kind of ludicrous at this point," Dr. Chiyome Fukino, the former director of Hawaii's Department of Health, said in a rare telephone interview with NBC.'

If this is Donald Trumps 'main advantage'...

then he dosen't have one.

• BU52 Provo, ut
    April 10, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Trump won't run but maybe he can stir things up, asking for the real birth certificate is a start, and how about opening up the college records where Barry enrolled as a foreign student? At least when Trump asks the questions, the lapdog media can't treat him like some wierdo from the backwoods. If the other candidates started asking the same things maybe Obama would be forced to reveal his history.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    April 10, 2011 4:39 p.m.

My recent comment was for ric2012 ---- you have no idea what you are talking about Romneys belief.I Know Mitt Romney and you have misreresented his beliefs about the Church.You either do not know Him or you have taken some other ant-Mormon blog and believed it or you are delibertly representing untruth as truth.

• MarieDevine Divine-Way Kansas City, MO
    April 10, 2011 4:27 p.m.

The main advantage that Donald Trump has is his willingness to see the importance of President Obama hiding his birth certificate and other records. Other possible candidates seem to ignore it along with the Democrats.

President Obama already said his father was not an American citizen; that make him a danger to our nation. We cannot have men from other nations and ideologies impregnating American wemen and raising the child with foreign ideas contrary to our nation. President Obama's policies of forced insurance and other Socialist leaning ways makes this a danger we should not ignore.

The real question might be, where are those brave enough to risk all for truth?

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    April 10, 2011 4:20 p.m.

There is a reason why the possible candidacy of Trump has caught national traction. He can speak well, has more than a surface understanding of issues, and could bring some amazing business talents to Washington DC. And, he might be able to carry New York State in the election. If you don't want a second term from the O-man, you should give Trump a serious look.

I think the biggest news in the poll is Huntsman's 15%. Where did his support go?

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    April 10, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Re: you don't know what you are talking about.You are taking someone else propaganda and acting like it is your own.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2011 3:41 p.m.

'They should support Ron Paul. He is the only guy that will pull us out of the middle east completeley and clean up the mess Bush and Obama started.' - Anti Bush-Obama | 3:13 p.m.

Um, Obama started Lybia.

which, is now under NATO command.

Bush started the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

America has been in Afghanistan for 10 years.

If you want to lump all of the 'middle east' conflicts, I would go with the person who took us INTO Iraq and Afghanistan under false pretense...

and then left us there.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington DC, MD
    April 10, 2011 3:13 p.m.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    April 10, 2011 2:54 p.m.

"Trump not popular among Utah GOP."

Might as well have a headline "the sun rises in the east."

The only GOP candidate Utahns will support in a primary is Romney.

Nevermind his MA healthcare plan provides state-funded abortions.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    April 10, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Let me guess....Donald Trump wins the nomination -- Next step: choosing a running mate on Celebrity Apprentice.
    To be followed in the next few episodes by.....Celebrity Chief-of-Staff and Celebrity Cabinet.

He has the makings of a long on-air run.....with likely much better ratings than those being achieved by the current Celebrity Amateur.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    April 10, 2011 1:48 p.m.

I am not sure it matter if the primary candidate campaigns in Utah as there is a very low voter turnout.

Another thing I would like to mention is I was part of the the very biased Deseret News poll last week. It was more like a group of people getting together to gossip rather than a true poll.

If I had requested or hired a company to do that poll I would expect a full refund. There was no real way to get around Mitt Romney's name. Although popular in the poll I am not certain that was the true feeling of those polled.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    April 10, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I am a moderate fellow, vietnam vet, about to retire from an adequate paying job, father of three, supporter of my step-daughter, lover of flowers, balance my check book, paid off my house, paid off my cars, I do garden, eat avocados, like mayonnaise, drink skim milk, own four or five good pairs of pants, play sports when I can, help my neighbors, chase down lost dogs, tell all babies that they are cute, go to church on occasion, pray daily, often, and still love my wife. I even burst into songs on a hourly basis.

I will not vote for Romney because he is not his own man. I will vote for Obama again because he is calm and rationale, slow to draw out the gun from the holster, and still believes we can make a better world.

It is humorous to read on this commentary page all of the "certainty" about life. Mitt, good or bad, won't get nominated. Obama will win against whomever the GOP puts up. Things are much clearer, shall we say, outside of Utah than in the loop along the Wasatch.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2011 12:36 p.m.

'In fact, most of the conservative Demos have left the party because it has been taken over by socialists and extremists.' - oldschool | 11:09 p.m.

Um, what party does Hatch belong to now?

What happened to Bennett?

What party did Sarah Palin cater too before the Republican party?

Of the two, I would say Republians have been taken over by extremist's, the Republican Tea Party.

I would vote for Trumps hairpeice...

before I would vote for Trump.

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2011 12:13 p.m.

If Trump drops out, does that mean the end of his crusade to prove that the President was not born in the USA? Will Mitt be able to carry on this "vital" national security issue or will he rely on talking only about religion and politics? Stay tuned.

• JeanPierre Mesa, AZ
    April 10, 2011 11:33 a.m.

Many Mormons would love to believe that the media reports of Mitt Romney making that "Moses and the bush" statement, and of his demonstrations of disdain for certain constitutional and moral principles are just a smear job. Believe me, they were not. And his popularity in Arizona took a hit among constitutional conservatives when he came here stumping for the 2010 re-election of AZ Senator John McCain.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    April 10, 2011 10:52 a.m.

After the mess that big business has made of our economy, I'm hesitant to elect any business man into the role of president.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    April 10, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Why is a Mormon Republican a bad thing and a Mormon Democrat isn't even on the radar? (aka. Harry Reid)

I'd vote for Trump just to hear him turn to Obama on the first Tuesday of November and say, "Your fired."

• sg newhall, CA
    April 10, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Romney is nice but not good enough to win. Trump is not a professional politician. We don't need another one in the WH. If Trump runs, I'm voting for him. If he's in the WH, then appoint Romney as either VP OR as a member of his cabinet. Let's be honest, a Mormon will NEVER be in the WH...unfortunately, but it is true. Utahns need to realize that their state will never be the impetus to put one in the WH. Be realistic folks. Trump would be a better choice than say Obama...again. I think we all know about his "Change" policies. He continues to destroy this country. He should be impeached, but then that's for another discussion. The REP choices stink.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Both are media darling with two much money that are un-electable.

• Be Practical Sandy, UT
    April 10, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Donald Trump has always been about Donald Trump, whether it's pandering to the media to promote his failing show or dumping his wife of 15 years for a newer prettier version just to dump that one 6 years after that. He has no political experience, he has no vision for the country and the only thing he is in the news for now if for jumping on the "Let's make Obama prove he was born in the U.S." train. Well that train left the station years ago.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    April 10, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Romney and Huntsman are politicians. It's time for a change.

If he runs Trump has my vote.

• hmmm interesting Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Wow. Condescending much, Jowers? People have opinions about Trump that prefer him over Romney and that equates to them being all about wanting to be apprentices or otherwise lightweight in their thinking?

I would find a cohesive "everyone for Mitt" poll result far more worrisome. Our nation thrives best when those of many persuasions find common ground and balance out our more inane ideas. Everyone in lock step would strike terror in my heart.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    April 10, 2011 8:36 a.m.

If Trump would retract favored trade status for China, balance the budget, make BO show a real b.c. and oh, get that hair cut, I would vote for him. Since he probably won't give up the hair, my vote will have to go to Ron P.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    April 10, 2011 8:32 a.m.

There is exactly one potential Republican candidate I can vote FOR -- Jon Huntsman, Jr.

If the Republican nominee is Palin or Bachmann or somone of their ilk, I would hold my nose and vote against them even if that meant a vote for Obama since Obama at his worst would do less damage than those candidates (and I have no real use for Obama or most of his policies).

Otherwise I will most likely do what I did last time -- write in "NONE OF THE ABOVE" since there was nobody on the ballot that I could in good conscience support.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    April 10, 2011 7:43 a.m.

@ric2012 and the rest of you Mormon Romney haters:

You are the reason we have Obama. Satisfied?? I figured so.

• David A Orem, Utah
    April 10, 2011 7:24 a.m.

You have to remember the one with the most money wins. A scarry thought.

• David B. Cedar City, UT
    April 10, 2011 6:02 a.m.

After what Romney did in Massachusetts By installing Romney care there's no way I'd vote for him.Just let another northeastern politician in and everybody and I mean everybody are going to see why. Higher taxes,higher everything,go and live in the northeast sometime! You'll regret it big time.

• MrsB1971 Pittsfield, MA
    April 10, 2011 5:44 a.m.

All of you people in Utah who have your hearts all aflutter over Romney really should do some research on the mess he left this state in. Go and study his mandatory health care law that was passed. Do some research and find out what the negative impact has been and will continue to be on the citizens, and that includes families, of the Commonwealth. Think about how you would like to be forced to buy health insurance at rates that go up every year even when salaries do not (well except the salaries of the CEO's of those insurance companies) and if you can't afford it you get fined. There are some who need the free care, those who have lost jobs and those with disabilities, but you can also get free care if you are an illegal alien. Sounds just peachy, doesn't it?

• UtahVoter Spanish Fork, UT
    April 10, 2011 1:26 a.m.

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing a poll including the 2-time CPAC winner over Romney - Ron Paul. I wouldn't be surprised if Paul's support has grown enough in Utah to place him at least 3rd behind Romney and Huntsman.

As for the alleged smear campaign about Romney not pandering correctly when he said God hadn't spoken to man -- as far as he was aware -- since Moses, that's not out of context. He *really* said such a crazy thing (precisely in that context) during the last Presidential campaign in a local Boston interview around Christmas of 2007. Certainly he doesn't believe that and he misrepresented himself as he cracked under the pressure of all the intense religious criticism and tried to humorously deflect it in a catastrophically failed way.

I agree with the many posters pointing out that the main reason that Romney and Huntsman get such outsized Utah support is, unfortunately, simply their combination of an "R" in front of their name with their LDS activity. That certainly caught my interest as an LDS Republican Utahn. But, despite those labels, neither is as good a match for my politics as Paul.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2011 11:43 p.m.

Sorry, but after the uncannily timely Dan Jones poll that "showed" that 70%+ of Utahns favored the 116 amnesty/"guest worker" bill, I don't give Dan Jones even a bit of my attention.

Besides, he didn't ask me.

And how fascinating that Trump supposedly is pulling a "publicity stunt" to "promote himself," but of COURSE none of the other candicates would POSSIBLY do such a thing.

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    April 9, 2011 11:09 p.m.

What a one-sided story. Jowers is quoted as saying the only thing Trump has done is bring up the birth certificate issue. False. Trump on Friday on national television brought up at least a dozen issues that almost any true-blue conservative would want. Whoever gets the Republican nomination will get my vote over any liberal Democrat. And there's no chance that any conservative Democrat will get his/her party's nomination. In fact, most of the conservative Demos have left the party because it has been taken over by socialists and extremists.

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2011 10:58 p.m.

Listening to Bill O'Reilly interview Trump on Fox, one thing was apparent: Trump blustered and pontificated, but, when asked HOW he would accomplish solutions or solve specific problems, had no specific answer. All talk, all publicity stunting, no real substance.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    April 9, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Whats with all the Romney haters from Mesa Arizona? Its hard to believe that Romney is LDS, yet doesn't belive in the revelations of Joseph Smith. I think this is just another smear job by the media - taking things out of context.

atl134 - thank you for letting us know who you are ... a "progressive." Did anyone ever doubt it? Its not hard to be an Obama fan when you are a progressive like he is. Lets redistribute boys.

I would vote for Trump above most candidates, especially Obama or Hillary.

• FarnsworthPMacGillicuddy Layton, UT
    April 9, 2011 9:41 p.m.

Missed the "poll". I would no more vote for Mitt Romney than I would Harry Reid. Same type of "political leader". Both appear to be completely self-serving.
    Trump can at least run a business well and profitably. Oh,but "Mitt saved the Olympics". Sorry,the Olympic Games and being President of the United States have as much in common as being a "community organizer" and President of the United States. I am active LDS, consider myself a true conservative-NOT a "Utah Republican-tax and spender" like those calling themselves conservative here in Utah.(they are neither fiscal or political conservatives at all)
    Trump would be far better than Romney,Reid, Huckabee, Palin, etc. I would favor Huntsman at this time over any other Republican candidate, so far.At least he could communicate first hand with the largest holder of US debt, noting all of the subtleties of the Chinese language syntax.Mitt would try to make a "deal", because that's all he knows how to do. Mitt Romney is no "Savior" of the United States at all.I believe in prophecy, not in Mitt.

April 9, 2011 9:08 p.m.

I would not vote for any of the three.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 9, 2011 9:00 p.m.

I still don't think Trump is serious. He's doing a publicity stunt. Why else would anyone be as foolishly outrageous in the political arena.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2011 8:59 p.m.

"Mitt Romney's statement on an TV interview to the effect that the last time he knew that God spoke to man was to Moses at the bush shoule raise a red flag for all LDS voters in the United States."

Wait he said that? That's not even the last time God spoke to man in the bible. Come on Romney pander correctly.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    April 9, 2011 8:42 p.m.

Utahns are so quaint in their belief that the world revolves around them. Even the Gentiles among us are rooting for Huntsman, the Moderate.
    There's a wide world out there with good candidates who aren't Mormons. Go figure.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    April 9, 2011 8:28 p.m.

I like Trump, he of course is a successful business man, but he also is tough and he would not put up with things from other countries. Do I think he can win, probably not, but I hope that by his running, he can help toughen up the republican candidates that will be the front runners. More then anything, I will vote for the person that I think could beat Obama.

• ric2012 Mesa, AZ
    April 9, 2011 8:17 p.m.

I can't understand why LDS in Utah or anywhere else are so quick to support someone who doesn't support the Constitution, even if that person is LDS. When are we going to wake up and do what the scriptures ask us to do? How can we support anyone who supports a socialist state sponsored health care plan?

• JeanPierre Mesa, AZ
    April 9, 2011 6:59 p.m.

Mitt Romney's statement on an TV interview to the effect that the last time he knew that God spoke to man was to Moses at the bush shoule raise a red flag for all LDS voters in the United States. His demonstrated disdain for certain principles of the US Constitution we can excuse since that allegiance to the Constitution seems no longer to be a principle of the Mormon faith.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2011 6:45 p.m.

This surprises nobody. I mean Mitt got about 85% in the primary against a full field of candidates to choose from. The only one that can make a dent in his power in utah is Huntsman.

"Are LDS politicians ready to govern the nation? "

One of the top three ranking leaders in the nation right now is LDS.

As for president, Huntsman would do a good job I would think (I'd still vote for obama since I refuse to let someone rubber-stamp this crazy republican congress). Since I'm progressive and think that that means he doesn't stand a chance in a primary for anything unless it's "Democratic" and "Utah state senate". Speaking of which, Huntsman... please take Hatch's senate seat.

• attentive Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2011 6:16 p.m.

If he runs against Obama, I'll vote for him.

• truthtrekie Mesa, AZ
    April 9, 2011 5:56 p.m.

I find it appalling that so many LDSs, including Mitt Romney, are unaware of their divinely mandated obligation to defend, uphold, and abide by the principles of the Constitution of the United States that the Lord and the American Founding Fathers intended us to live under. So much of Mitt Romneys political career is an example of this failure. But what can one expect from a man who cannot even defend a major tenet of his own faith.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    April 9, 2011 5:38 p.m.

Are LDS politicians ready to govern the nation? I have my doubts. Please let me explain. Go back to the days of Senator Garn. A more decent and competent man you could not have found in government, yet the Garn- St. Germaine Act was a disaster. The Savings and Loans were in deep trouble and in need of re- regulation but not DE-regulation. Senator Garn assumed that all were as decent and honest as he and those who attended church with him. But instead the Vernon Dixons, Richard Keatings and others were just licking their chops. Read The Best Way to Rob a Bank is to Own One by William K. Black. If business owners were a fraction as good as Huntsman then Mitt Romneys faith in business would be justified. But that just aint so. The country needs a Teddy Roosevelt more than someone who is willing to trust in the invisible hand of unfettered capitalism.

• ric2012 Mesa, AZ
    April 9, 2011 5:38 p.m.

Why is it that LDS people are so hung up on Mitt Romney for President? I and many of my friends are active LDS and we will never vote for Romney for President. He has denied any one receiving revelation since the time of Moses and the burning bush and he supported, though he knew it was wrong, a State sponsored socialist health care plan in Massachusetts. He DOES NOT support the CONSTITUTION, and he should.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 9, 2011 4:48 p.m.

The only thing more frightening than Donald Trump for President would be Donald Trump with Sarah Palin as VP.

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Donald Trump, the Silvio Berlusconi of American politics.

• AT Prospect, KY
    April 9, 2011 4:28 p.m.

Um, Lisa, a picture is worth a thousand words. Why didn't you just include a small chart or graphic showing the results? We could have quickly seen the results and then read your commentary. As it is, I'm still not sure what the poll results really were.