BYU basketball: Reaction to Reilly's take on Jimmer

• gchris rock springs, wy
    April 8, 2011 10:44 p.m.

It's Friday night and Jimmer just won the Wooden Award. Tell me again how many Wooden Awards Rick Reilly has won. Jimmer Fredette is a great basketball player and, more importantly, a truly humble and decent young man. There aren't many real heroes left for young guys to emulate, but for a few months in 2010-2011 they had one. All the speculation about Jimmer's NBA future might be interesting, but this college season was made so much more special because of him. The guy who was too slow, too short, not athletic enough and who couldn't play defense(?) just swept the individual awards. In the end, he even Jimmered Rick Reilly!

• gus15 Mantua, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:08 p.m.

None of these comments about how amazing he is address Reilly's point. Can he play NBA caliber defense? Im interested in your thoughts. There have been a ton of great college scorers that have been duds in the NBA(especially recently). I just looked up the nations leading scorer in he past ten years and none of them have had any sort of NBA career. Is there something in Jimmer's game that sets him apart? Because a lot of them scored more. Again I am not attacking him just not seeing it happen.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Let's all vote on whether the sun is up or not. Fredette will or won't have an important NBA career, but the enthusiasm of BYU and bias of non-BYU fans won't answer the question. It's been fun to celebrate Jimmer's stellar college achievements and now let Jimmer answer the bell in the NBA. If he never plays a minute in the NBA it won't detract from his games against Arizona, Utah, UNLV, SDSU, etc. A word of warning, don't sell him short, people have counted Fredette out before.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:56 a.m.

@weber cat

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    April 6, 2011 7:39 a.m.

OK editorial board, I'll try again...since you just allowed JustGordon to post the exact same analogy. I said yesterday if Jimmer was a Muslim reading his Koran would the column have even been printed? Would Reilly still have a writing job? Just pointing out the hypocracy of the big media allowing Christian bashing, and have extra fun with LDS-bashing, but be timid with Islam-bashing. Since Gordon's comments stand, now mine should too. Thank you....

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 6, 2011 4:06 a.m.

So the studying his bible in his hotel room is a slap at the LDS religion? If Jimmer was a Baptist would the same conclusion be drawn by the same people? I doubt it! Seems like a severe case of hypersensitivity to me.

• gus15 Mantua, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Jimmer is amazingly talented on offense but he doesnt play defense or box out on long rebounds that is all Reilly said really. He added humor because that is what he is paid to do. Honestly I don't think he will do well in the NBA because I don't think a team can afford to sacrifice that much defense for his offense. I used to think he would do well but then I thought do I think he can guard D-Will or Chris Paul or any NBA guard for that matter? The answer is I don't think so. Please Jazz don't draft him to sell tickets to BYU fans!

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 5, 2011 6:35 p.m.

Who cares what Rick Reilly says or thinks anyway?

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Let's see what happens at the pre-draft camps. If Jimmer is faster, stronger, and outplays every other guard there, turning heads of scouts and GM's in the process, then maybe, MAYBE, he has a chance at the next level. Until then...

• stgjazzfan Saint George, UT
    April 5, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Wikipidia discription for a hedgehog. A defense that all species of hedgehogs possess is the ability to roll into a tight ball, causing all of the spines to point outwards. However, its effectiveness depends on the number of spines, and since some of the desert hedgehogs evolved to carry less weight, they are much more likely to try to run away. The type found on this comment board has no spine, so please just run away... Thank You

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    April 5, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Just consider the source and have a good chuckle.

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    April 5, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Re: CT98

Yes, I have a question. Why is Kemba Walker projected by many experts to be a top 5 pick, while Fredette is projected to go 15?

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    April 5, 2011 2:26 p.m.

@CT98 I have a question for you. How many shots did Jimmer Fredette take against Florida? How many shots did Walker take against Butler? i.e., what were the shooting percentages? Oh, one more question. Who is the better defensive team Butler or Florida?

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    April 5, 2011 12:12 p.m.

On Jimmers off night against Florida, he scored 32.

On Kembas off night against Butler, he scored 16.

Any questions?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Nut jobs to the left, jokers to the right.

I do not know who the better player is, but if UConn had to rely on KW the same what BYU rode Jimmer, UConn would not have finished as high as 9th in the Big East.

I'll put it this way.

I really think Utah would have beat UConn last night (easily Butler too.)

Those two team last night were two teams that won a tournament. Not the two best teams in the country, and none of them were the best player in the country.

Question for Hedge. Why were the only halftime highlights that worth showing Jimmer?

Sir Charles is dead on.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    April 5, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Danny AInge was still better, made of tougher stuff, got the Cougar further.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 5, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Jimmer will play in the NBA - how long and how successful is yet to be seen. Jimmer has a strong upper body and can take the pounding in the NBA and he is a proven shooter so all that remains is getting on the right team that will allow him to blossum.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    April 5, 2011 9:48 a.m.

@ Y-ASK-Y,
    "This is why sitting in your hotel room reading the Bible (trying to earn God's blessings for the game) is an excellent explanation for why Jimmer's performance against Florida was sub-par: 37% from the field; 20% from distance; and 6 turnovers."

I'm sure Jimmer wasn't reading scriptures before the Florida game for blessings to play well in that game. He reads his scriptures for blessings that will come to him through out his life on earth, and beyond. And, if you want to talk about someone that is being blessed in this life I would put Jimmer pretty high on that list with all that he has accomplished, and will still accomplish. Based on Jimmer's experience, I think we all could benefit by doing like he does and read the scriptures more!!

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    April 5, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Oh Jimmer boy, the scouts, the scouts are calling
    From glen to glen, and down "Y" mountain side
    The season's o'er, and all true Cougars crying
    'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
    But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
    Or when happy valley's hushed and white with snow
    'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or Gonzaga's shadow
    Oh Jimmer boy, oh Jimmer boy, we love you so!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 5, 2011 9:30 a.m.

All is right in the world.

A Big 6 program wins the NCAA ( as usual)

• T-Roy Summerville, SC
    April 5, 2011 7:35 a.m.

From Living in SEC Country any team and I repeat any Team in the SEC would have loved to have Jimmer on there Team, IF KY had him they would have won it all. He goes all out everygame the only Thing U of M does it get put on probation in any sport they play.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 5, 2011 6:19 a.m.

@Hymn to the silent

And to what purpose is taking my comments out of context, then juxtaposing them to the world's problems and doing so as a representative of BYU accomplish?

Yours is a very strange and bizarre comment. I work with several of BYU academia and students and they would say the same.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    April 5, 2011 5:42 a.m.

I'm hoping Jimmer gets the chance to play for the Utah Jazz. Being that I'm a Nugget fan it will be fun to watch Lawson and Felton run Jimmer through a BUZZ SAW!!! Seriously!!!

• Ernesto de Bajo Albuquerque, NM
    April 5, 2011 12:48 a.m.

"If I had been banned from having premarital sex in college, I'd have barely lasted three years. OK, three and a half." --Rick Reilly

What looks on the surface like a try at self-deprecating humor is probably, in fact, a macho exageration. Odds are, he graduated a whole man. In fact, any ongoing joy is likely the charity of a saintly wife.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:12 p.m.

I can't believe the moderators have let so many of you post negative things about Jimmer. Come on moderators, what's up?

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:00 p.m.

I liked Jimmer's red tie.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 4, 2011 10:43 p.m.

Walker was unimpressive in NC game tonight. He seems too small for the NBA. Didn't really take over the game like Lamb did in the second half. I wasn't impressed at all. I am sure the Jazz will trade up to draft him though......

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:37 p.m.

@BYU/Jazz fan

Jimmer's the better shooter I think that part is obvious. However who is a better rebounder? Plays better defense? Better passer? Kemba's a more all-around player. Looking at shooting alone isn't necessarily going to lead to the right answer. Otherwise Durant would've been MVP last year in the NBA.

• Teddy Bear Las Vegas, NV
    April 4, 2011 10:15 p.m.

NC Game = worst game ever (except maybe PSU-Wisc in the Big Ten tourney).

• BYU/Jazz fan West Valley, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:13 p.m.

Kemba scores only 16 points in the biggest game of his life on 5 of 19, 0 for 4 from 3 point, and 6 points coming from the free throw line? Yeah, sure sounds like a better player than Jimmer.....

Jimmer: 12-30 pt games, 3-40 pt games, and 1 50 pt. game while shooting .452 FG %, .894 FT %, and .396 3pt %.
    Kemba: 10- 30 pt games, 1- 40 pt games, and 0 50 pt games while shooting .432 FG %, .818 FT %, and .336 3pt %.

Jimmer not only has better stats overall than Kemba while averaging less minutes but has certainly faced more double and tripple teams while the refs let him get hacked on a nightly basis.

Jimmer vs Kemba? No contest- Jimmer in a land slide.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    April 4, 2011 9:57 p.m.

Do we really have to take EVERYONE so seriously? (Reilly, I mean?)

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    April 4, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Sammyg: I teach at BYU and asked my students about the Jimmer. They knew who he was, but were not "absolutely captivated" as you say. They were actually more worried about their final projects. The kid is a good baller, but the world didn't stop to watch him play...world hunger didn't go away, our boys didn't come home from Iraq...a college hoopster made a half-court shot and got the awards he deserved. Good for him. Shame on those who can't simply enjoy it rather than live a proxy life through him.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 9:35 p.m.

No game could be as awful as that Butler-UConn game... how does a team go 3-31 from INSIDE the three point line?

• Slim Shady 801 Bluffdale, UT
    April 4, 2011 9:35 p.m.

How come Reilly didn't write a negative article about Nolan Smith of Duke?

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 4, 2011 9:14 p.m.

Jimmer has just as good a chance of making it in the NBA as Kemba. They both have weaknesses that could cause them to bust.

I strongly suspect that both of them will find a niche with the right team.

Whether either one will be a NBA all star is a long shot.

The only question for either is where in the first round they go.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 4, 2011 8:24 p.m.

'The final four games were some of the most lack-luster games in college sports this year. What a bore"

And I'm guessing you say this because the jimer wasn't there to boost your self worth.

If you cared to watch, bot VCU/BUTLER and KU/UConn were great games.

• TwoBitsWorth Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 8:05 p.m.

My father once quoted an old saying, "A man convinced against his will, will be of the same opinion still."

Of course, I don't know the ages of those who post here, but if they are all grown men, I am amazed at how childish many of them seem to be. Most of them seem to be grinding an axe that has no temper in its head, except bad temper. Now, if you don't understand that analogy, you prove my point.

Now back to the subject. I think Jimmer is great - a great basketball player and a great person. He also has a great work ethic and a great personality.

And I believe he will have a great future - whether or not he "makes it in the pro's".

And I believe he will be happy, which of course is more important than playing basketball, or any other game for that matter.

If the game can bring happiness, then go for it.
    If not, find something else to do.

• peter Alpine, UT
    April 4, 2011 7:46 p.m.

The final four games were some of the most lack-luster games in college sports this year. What a bore!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    April 4, 2011 7:04 p.m.

Ah yes, the pseudo Utah fans, who are really just Mormon/BYU haters are really starting to come out of the woodwork now that they've found an ally in Rick Reilly.

Y-Ask-Y? Why should we believe you'd keep your word about the $1,000 anymore than we believed hedgehog would keep his word about not posting on any BYU article until after basketball season was over?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 7:01 p.m.

"But James Fredette is the better individual player than Kemba Walker. Don't get me wrong, Kemba is a great player but the stats prove Jimmer is the best player of the year when considering the entire season. "

Jimmer's a better scorer/shooter. Kemba I think is better all-around which to me means more. Kemba's my PotY while Jimmer's my MVP. (There's a difference, I think Kembas the better player but Jimmer's more valuable to his team than Kemba is.) Since I'm aware that PotY and MVP can be defined differently to different people I'm not upset with Jimmer winning.

• stillwater Saint George, UT
    April 4, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Go Jimmer Go in the Pro's. If it doesn't work out, you have given me many great moments watching you play. Thanks for the fun games. Your competitiveness will make you a pro in the game of life.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 6:56 p.m.

Eh, I meant to say that I wouldn't bet against Jimmer starting a game his first year. (otherwise the rest of my comment makes no sense).

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 6:55 p.m.

I wouldn't bet on him starting a game his first year... even if he's how reilly thinks he'll be, he'd probably be drafted too early, land on a bad team (minnesota? Kahn loves his point guards) and then start due to everyone else being abysmal. Or there could be injury troubles with the team he gets drafted by (see: Jazz, Utah)

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 4, 2011 6:52 p.m.

Rick Reilly was accurate in his description of his play against Florida. My problem with him is Reilly judged Jimmer by his performance at one of the worst games he had ever played this year. There was no balance.

The POY award is for the best COLLEGE player, not the player most likely to succeed in the NBA. If you asked coaches around the nation who the one player is they would most like to add to their team, it would be Jimmer. They can run a zone defense in the NCAA. Jimmer would have the most impact even if he can't play defense.

The entire BYU offense was built around Jimmer. They had to keep him in the game. I am sure that coach Rose told Jimmer not to foul. Not bad advice. Jimmer just did not take chances. It was a good strategy for the team this year.

Jimmer erased Ainge's scoring record but did not start his freshman year like Ainge, and Jimmer was fighting Mono last year.

Jimmer was nothing short of incredible.
    Rick Reilly's article was absolutely not credible.

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 4, 2011 6:21 p.m.

Re: hedgehog

"God doesn't care about basketball..."

How do you know?

"at least mine doesn't."

Clay figurines tend not care about anything.

I do agree w/ you about Reilly though: "he's funny to boot" (especially when one is wearing boots w/ steel toes).

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    April 4, 2011 6:15 p.m.

You're lucky you live so far away in Michigan. Those of us in Utah have to deal with this attitude every day. If you dare question the skills of even one player in Provo, it's like the end of the world or something.

To boot, you have all of these media types encouraging BYU fans and making them believe they really are something special and superior to any other college, especially the U.

The Riley ordeal is just the latest example. Whether Jimmer can play on the next level is a legitimate question. What's more, and let's be honest here, Jimmer really doesn't enjoy playing defense.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 4, 2011 6:07 p.m.

" This is why sitting in your hotel room reading the Bible (trying to earn God's blessings for the game"

God doesn't care about basketball... at least mine doesn't.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    April 4, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Where's Stockton??? Well first its near Tooele and second great comment, you are right on, I didnt follow the Y much this season until March. I know that Jimmer was being ridden like a horse and playing major minutes, and up until that last game he delivered at the end.......

• Bill Freeze Lindon, UT
    April 4, 2011 5:58 p.m.

On the Jimmer analysis Reilly has undoubltedly consulted Bob Knight and used the same intuitive process that the General used in sizing up Larry Bird. Jimmer will do just fine in the NBA...no thanks to Reilly!

• gchris rock springs, wy
    April 4, 2011 5:48 p.m.

Two things are certain: Jimmer Fredette is a better basketball player than Rick Reilly is a writer and Jimmer Fredette will be an NBA All-Star before Rick Reilly wins a Pulitzer Prize.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    April 4, 2011 5:41 p.m.

If we think jimmer wouldn't read this article and be affected by it, maybe we should take the same road. It's always lonely at the top of the ladder......

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 4, 2011 5:39 p.m.

For all of those who are just too slow on the uptake about why Jimmer appeared to be lacking on defense this year. I think you are going to be quite foolishly suprised when he actually proves you wrong. Why I say that is because you people haven't got the slightest clue as to what was going on this year. With both of the BYU's best big men i.e. Chris Collinsworth and Brandon Davies out for most or a significant portion of the remaining part of the season Dave Rose made a significant but highly unorthadox coaching decision to try and compensate for their absence on the court. The entire key to BYU's success without Collinsworth and Davies on the court centered on keeping Fredette in the game. To spell it out for those not able to grasp what actually was taking place. Rose had Fredette intentionally backed off on Defense to keep him out of foul trouble. Fredette averaged over 38 minutes a game of playing time...That's almost unheard of in college basketball. Most of his fouls were offensive. You are absolutely dead wrong if you think Jimmer can't play defense.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    April 4, 2011 5:39 p.m.

Did you see what riley said about the new men's bb coach on the hill? That's right, nothing. Why, because Jimmer and BYU basketball are all that the nation cares to look at in this state. Any attention is good attention, right? If riley doesn't think Jimmer will start, he is delusional. Has he ever seen what happens when the injury bug bites? Look who is starting for the Jazz right now. Jimmer is as good as Watson, hands down.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    April 4, 2011 5:26 p.m.

Reilly is right on.

Religion is fundamentally superstitious. Superstition begets inconsistency in athletic performance as the athlete engages in rituals that he believes bring about "blessings" (Austin Collie, back me up on this brau), but actually have either no relationship or a distracting and adverse relationship to performance. This is why BYU teams, having institutionalized superstition, are so flaky and inconsistent. This is why sitting in your hotel room reading the Bible (trying to earn God's blessings for the game) is an excellent explanation for why Jimmer's performance against Florida was sub-par: 37% from the field; 20% from distance; and 6 turnovers.

No matter how you try to spin it, Jimmer lost that game for the Cougars. Jackson was hot from behind the arc in the first half, but Jimmer hogged the shots in the second half so Emery got no chance to contribute. If I was one of Jimmer's teammates, I would be almost as ticked off at Jimmer as I am at Davies! These two guys completely let the team down!

I agree with Reilly. And I will throw $1,000 into the pot along with Reilly.

• Making Sense Herriman, UT
    April 4, 2011 5:08 p.m.

Reilly's comments say more about him than they do about Jimmer and/or BYU.

Hedgehog's comments say more about him than about Jimmer and/or BYU.

Chris B's comments say more about him than about Jimmer and/or BYU.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 4, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Kouger, hahahahahaha, to compare Jimmer and Heaps is pure comedy. Hahaha, "when he wins the Heismann" was a joke right? He looked like he was on pace to win it last year up until he took that first snap.

Give Jimmer some credit Kouger, he's not overhyped and overblown, and he doesn't even have a publicist to thank yet. Heaps will be solid, but never will he be mentioned with Jimmer or Ainge or Detmer or Young after his career is over....but thanks for the chuckle.

• brluthi Provo, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:54 p.m.

RE: PocyUte
    I agree. I am a BYU student and a BYU fan, and feel that a lot of "die hard" BYU fans have the persecution complex, where if someone says something bad about "our Cougs", they are attacking you, your grandma and Joseph Smith.

I thought Reilly's original article was pretty scathing and maybe not all the way true, but the man does have a point. I personally think that Kemba should have won the Naismith award.

And it's not like BYU fans are the only ones. People can make mountains out of mole hills out of any type of comment about religion, race, sexual preference, you name it. But in the end, we're all human and sometimes you just need to laugh it off when someone says something you don't agree with. Or listen. They might say something you can learn from...

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:50 p.m.

In other words, Reilly is saying in his present response that BYU is an easy target - compared to other schools - for his columns. And now with the ESPN contract for football, look for more BYU/Mormon attacks, ridicules, etc. Watch when (not if) Heaps wins the Heisman Trophy and Reilly comes out firing - he will never win a Super Bowl, or be a Pro-Bowler, and all his other riles (pun intended). Go Cougars!

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:43 p.m.

Okay, we all know the rules of engagement. Poking fun at ethnicity, (I believe caucasian is an ethnicity) and religion is fair game. Nice to know. The door is now open to have some fun with all ethnicities, religious persuasions, orientations, genders, newspaper editors and sports writer's mothers. I'm sure everyone will be just as accommodating as the never to be offended, happy -go-lucky Mormons.

• firestorm Lehi, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:36 p.m.

When Riley gets sober I'll pay attention to what he says, but for now it's Jimmer time! Dosn't matter what anybody says will happen it only matters what happens on the court, and this year in colledge ball, Jimmer OWNED the hardwoods. Nobody can ball as consistant night after night. No one gave Ainge much props coming out of college, but he seemed to do OK. So will "Da Jimmahhh"

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Reilly's column is an honest take on the chances of one Jimmer Fredette to make the pros.

Let's look at the teams projected to be picking in the lottery this year, and their point guard situations:

Cleveland - Depth need at PG.
    Washington - No need at PG.
    Minnesota - No need at PG.
    Toronto - No need at PG.
    Sacramento - No need at PG.
    Utah - Depth need at PG.
    Detroit - Depth needed at PG.
    Milwaukee - No need at PG.
    Charlotte - Could use a backup PG for Augustin.
    Golden State - No need at PG.
    Phoenix - Could use a backup PG for Nash.
    Houston - Could use a backup PG to Lowry.

Keeping it simple, Phoenix, Houston, and Charlotte are the teams with a definite need, while Utah, Detroit, and Cleveland could use depth at the position that Fredette plays. I'd give him a better chance of going to Phoenix, where he wouldn't be held accountable for his defense (or lack thereof). Houston might work too. But any team mired in losing isn't going to see benefits from putting him in their rotation, he would need the best situation in order to have any level of success as a pro.

• pb of vernal Vernal, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:33 p.m.

I think his comments were sort of funny. I hope you will have to donate $10,000, unless you have died because you are an aging sports write and have gone to h___, I would say it but this blog won't let me publish my comments if I say the 4 letter word, Sorry.

• zambo Washington, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:28 p.m.

Big Soccer and Lonestar Runner.

Rick Reilly's style has always tried to inject some humor in his writing. Look at his quote in context:

"Great kid, though. Polite, smart (good chess player, whiz at Sudoku), studies his Bible in hotel rooms. Maybe that was the problem. Fredette and the largely Mormon BYU Nation should've never been made to come to New Orleans. You can sin just by osmosis here.

When I read this it seemed to me he was saying Jimmer had to stay in to read his Bible cause New Orleans is no place for a Mormon. You assume he is saying he was terrible against Florida cause he read his Bible, your overreacting. These knee jerk, we are so picked on as mormons, reactions make us look like over sensitive whiners. JF may or not play in the NBA, either way I don't think it will affect mine or Reillys eternal status. Don't be so sensitive. Laugh a little.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Its funny, I have been watching too much basketball over the last few decades and ten of those years as a HS school coach, and I really havent seen this much controversy over a basketball player with Utah ties in a long time, if ever. Its hard to tell what Jimmer is going to be like as a Pro, but he will be a Pro in a few months. People say hes to slow, cant jump, doesnt defend, blah, blah, blah. The thing that I have liked about the kid is he works hard, how do I know well it shows in his game. He has learned how to make ridiculous shots and that comes from lots of time in the gym.

When the Jazz drafted Stockton, almost the same things were said about him except they threw in to small, to light, will be over matched, cant shoot consistently.

You just never know how players jumping from the college into pros will turn out. As a lifelong Jazz fan its hard to say this, but Fredette has more tools then Stockton did coming out of College

• TexasAg Humble, TX
    April 4, 2011 4:21 p.m.

C'mon BYU fans (I'm generalizing, I do realize not all fans are the same), Reilly wasn't out to get you. I attend all my meetings, hold FHE with my family, I don't cheer for BYU but share the same faith as most BYU students, and I wasn't the least bit offended. Laugh a little. Nobody is trying to get you. "Thlete" is absolutely right, don't be so sensitive. He didn't make fun of any of our practices. He simply mentioned, Jimmer isn't all the media makes him out to be and won't succeed unless he learns how to play defense in the NBA.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:20 p.m.

"...studies his Bible in hotel rooms. Maybe that was the problem."

Reilly is backpedaling today and it still does not change a thing. A long history of anti-BYU sentiment and now it's obvious that ESPN has yanked his chain to spin the rhetoric down a little.

Whether or not Jimmer plays or sits on a "padded foldup chair" makes no difference to me. I saw a kid absolutely captivate a nation and garner some awards that most dream about. He will get drafted and that's a dream come true.

And it would not surprise me to hear more about Jimmer down the road. If he has the tenacity to make it this far then...?

Jimmer has been an inspiration. I'll forget Reilly easily, Jimmer on the other hand has given us several moments to cherish for a long long, very long time like this one...

A half court shot as the first half winds down at the Huntsman Center, a buzzer beater... and it's in!!! The Ute crowd goes silent as the few BYU fans and then some Utes fans in astonishment acknowledge what has happened. It's on YouTube. It's there forever!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 4, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Well ... That was random....

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:06 p.m.

Uconn may be a better team as a whole than BYU. But James Fredette is the better individual player than Kemba Walker. Don't get me wrong, Kemba is a great player but the stats prove Jimmer is the best player of the year when considering the entire season.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 4, 2011 4:05 p.m.

As a BYU grad and active member of the church, I didn't feel that Reilly was mocking my beliefs. I do think there are members of my faith who have a bit of a persecution complex and will take any criticism they get straight to the "anti-mormon" card. I did think he was a bit over the top in writing Jimmer's NBA future off, but only time will tell.

• Thlete Draper, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Everyone claiming Reilly was making fun of the LDS church. He said, "Great kid, though. Polite, smart (good chess player, whiz at Sudoku), studies his Bible in hotel rooms. Maybe that was the problem."

Reilly doesn't care much for any type of religion, he didn't mention anything LDS-related specifically. Don't be so sensitive.

LDS Ute fan

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:57 p.m.

Attention Mount Olympus:

When a columnist makes fun of the LDS canon and lifestyle of its members, who is he making fun of?

By the way, did Reilly ever win any basketball trophies/awards, let alone PLAY basketball - college basketball?

• JustAnotherName Alpine, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:55 p.m.

hedgehog and Reilly = two peas in a pod

Let me quote you wedgie = "Jimmer is a gimmick!"

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:46 p.m.

I'm not sure anyone is concerned with the Spring game in Provo. There's nothing on the line for the Cougars, no conference title and no BCS invite. Well, i guess if BYU beats all those WAC teams, you could make the claim the Cougs are WAC champs.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:37 p.m.

Mount Olympus... you might be right, but go back and read some of the stuff he has written or said about BYU in the past. Reilly has an axe to grind and he just might have something against the LDS church.

Hey hedgehog. Good to see you. It has been awhile since your days in the Utah marching band. Good times man. I hear you are doing well. See ya up at Daybreak or at Rumors.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:35 p.m.

reply: Mount Olympus
    In his previous articles he does make fun of the church, he stated that Fredette was too busy studying the bible to be able to perform against Florida.

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    April 4, 2011 3:33 p.m.

For the most part his column is right on the money. Fredette doesn't play any defense right now. I think that can change though.

Some people say the best thing for him is to go somewhere like the Knicks or Warriors who don't care about defense. I think that would just cement his role in the NBA as a scoring role sub with poor defense.

On the other hand if he goes to a team that will bench him if he is lazy an uninterested on the defensive end he might take it upon himself to learn the other half of the game.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Mount Olympus

Attention BYU hater:

When a columnist makes fun of BYU fans' LDS beliefs, he is making fun of the LDS religion.

Maybe you'd like to explain how Jimmer reading his scriptures in his hotel room in anyway affects his ability to play basketball or how that's not poking fun at Jimmer's, and by extension, LDS religious beliefs.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:12 p.m.

The column was pretty harsh, but Reilly is entitled to his opinion. Who knows if any collage star will go on to NBA stardom. It doesn't mean that the kid wasn't the best of the lot this year. But what annoyed me is that ESPN left the column up for an inordinate amount of time.

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Attention BYU fans.

When a columnist makes fun of a BYU sports team or a BYU sports star or claims that the player is not as good as he is hyped up to be, he is not making fun of the LDS church.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:07 p.m.

He will start a game this year. Won't ever be an All-Star.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    April 4, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Wouldn't it be great when Fredette does make it, and $10K is split between the General Mission fund for the LDS church and to Catholic charities?

Really - I truly hope Fredette is successful, at whatever he does. He'll do it with class, style, and great warmth. What a class act and a great new example to the younger generation of hopefuls!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 4, 2011 2:52 p.m.

How do I join the Reilly fan club? The guy is spot on and funny to boot.