Sports

The Top 20 things that need to be changed in the world of sports

Comments

• Serenity Now American Fork, UT
    June 11, 2011 8:57 p.m.

I agree with Eagle's comment about the NCAA football playoff....11 conferences with auto-invites, so only 5 at-large bids in a 16-team playoff scenario (likely going to mostly power conference teams).
    If you only give the 6 BCS conferences auto-invites, you perpetuate the hierarchy problem and exclude the cinderellas from the Sun Belt or Mid-America conferences. Plus, is there really a good reason to give teams in the SEC 4 bids (as the writer's projected bracket does) all that extra playoff cash? Haven't the Tressell, Fiesta Bowl, USC, Tennessee and other scandals convinced most of the sane people in the world that BCS cash absolutely corrupts the recipients?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 11, 2011 5:27 p.m.

The pay of basketball and baseball players is out of control. Average players getting 4 year deals for 40 million is nuts and the high end players getting 120 million +. How can this crazy stuff continue? I see a player like ARod that has some sort of 200 million dollar deal and I think... how can an owner afford this? I mean yes he is a good player but he is third baseman and he hits 4-5 times per game. Maybe a great pitcher I can see getting a big deal but a third baseman?? Then you see average - very average players - getting 40 mil ++ and you think - what is wrong with this picture. Basketball is crazy too. The salaries are insane.

• Scots Ogden, UT
    April 3, 2011 6:54 p.m.

Nevada!!!!! They did not play good teams, ya Boise State thats one game and they won in OT, they would not pick them. I think Utah would have beat Nevada if they played.

• DPC3738 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 3, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Everything goes except 12 and 13. The "one and done" rule in college bball is the sole reason why small powers such as Butler and VCU are able to make the final four. Imagine if Kentucky was able to keep John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins for 2 more years, or UCLA had been able to keep Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook which would have been seniors this year? Who would be in the final four? certainly not VCU or Butler.

• clyde Provo, UT
    April 2, 2011 10:35 a.m.

i like your pathetic attempt to show that you dont think soccer is a sport...on a sports blog. Fact is you cant run as fast, jump as high, lift as much, react as quickly or think enough to compare to a single professional soccer player, so quit making stupid remarks simply because you dont enjoy WATCHING the sport. lets face it, all you do is watch the sports you talk about. let someone who plays them be the judge. If i remember right, one of the NFLs most talented athletes (chad ochocingo) just tried to play for a division 2 soccer team and said he wasnt coordinated enough.

• 458italia Draper, UT
    April 2, 2011 12:48 a.m.

Jazz and BYU fans..."The refs stole the game, the refs are all corrupt, the refs are on the take, the refs this, the refs that". Come on. Like you lose every game you play. What about the games you win? I know, you won DESPITE the referee's best efforts to stop you guys in your tracks. It's NEVER because the Spurs/Lakers/Utes/USU/(Insert Team Here) are just plain old BETTER.

I like the Jazz and the Cougars. They win and play hard for the most part. Their fans? Not so much.

• WAdad Mt Pleasant, Utah
    April 1, 2011 6:11 p.m.

"The refs will never let the JAZZ win" boo hoo, unbelievale! Are you really blaming it on the refs?

• eagle Provo, UT
    April 1, 2011 5:47 p.m.

The baseball playoffs before the last several years have been great. it's not the games but how they drag out into November now. There are too many days off in between the playoff series. For example, one team had off over a week between series. What is great about the MLB regular season is that you play every day. You must have depth. You can't just rely on three pitchers. What the playoffs have done have deemphasized depth. Playoff games should mirror the regular season meaning they take place every day for the most part. The NBA needs to follow the same pattern and shorten the days off between games. October baseball is great especially when it stays just in October. I think the NBA regular season ought to end this week with their playoffs starting the week after the NCAA basketball tournament would help the NBA capitalize in the interest in basketball.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 1, 2011 3:39 p.m.

A very hard salary cap in all sports would be appropriate. That way these NBA slobs wouldn't be able to dictate where they play because they would all be getting paid the same.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 1, 2011 3:03 p.m.

I must admit my error. Since the UNLV game the U has won 41 and lost 7 for a 84$ winning record. Sorry for my error - I omitted the 10-3 '09. "My bad!!" as the say.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    April 1, 2011 1:29 p.m.

I agree with this article, especially getting rid of the NBA officials. I used to watch the Mavericks play but since they played for the championship with Miami and saw their wins get smashed by the refs because the owner, Mark Cuban, points out the plain faults of the NBA and its officiating. Those refs would not let the Mavericks win when it was obvious which team was better and who was going to win.

I stopped watching the NBA after that. I agree with the writer, it is right up there with WWF and pro boxing. The NBA is full of thugs and criminals, and that is just the NBA Head Office and the officials.

• BYU/Jazz fan West Valley, UT
    April 1, 2011 12:47 p.m.

Wow... it's funny to see how jaded every fan is. Why can't we just accept and enjoy each other's accomplishments? When the U went against Pitt and then again against Alabama, did I want them to win? Yes I did, because they represented the state and conference well.
    Hedgehog- you only love the BCS because you're in an auto bid conference now. You probably hated it before and you know it. It's about time you stop trolling BYU articles (any others but this one obviously) and post some classy comments.
    It's about time the childishness on both sides stop. Try being a real fan instead of having to trash everyone else.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    April 1, 2011 12:19 p.m.

@veritas

I like your suggestion about hanging another banner at RES. I have a similar suggestion for BYU. Put an asterisk next to the 1984 National Championship banner at LES and then below it hang another banner which states that the win came against a 6-6 team that was unranked who the cougars only managed to beat by a touchdown.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Re: Riverton Cougar
    "At least BYU can score points against UNLV. 0-27 remember?" Boy, you got me with that one!!! Do I remember? Yes, Sept. 22, 2007. It is highlighted as a most memorable event by me. NOT the game itself, but how the Utes reacted to it. Since that date the Utes have"
    Won 31 games - lost 4 (89%)
    Enjoyed their second undefeated season in 8 years - no other team has done that
    Won their second BCS Bowl game
    Won 2 of 3 bowl games
    Extended their consecutive bowl wins to 9 (second best in football history)
    Added to the best bowl winning percentage of all teams with 10 or more bowl appearances (this include last years loss)
    Tied with the most wins over a BCS team by any non-BCS team
    and been invited to join the PAC-12.

I would say we both have something to be proud about!!!

• Daddiooh Orem, UT
    April 1, 2011 8:03 a.m.

I am OK with all but #6. Look, If a team has to cheat to win, then penalize them. I think we can all see by how the NCAA handled the Cam Newton situation--they are reluctant to do anything unless their hand is forced. Also, am I the only one who thought that the only reason the Ohio State coach decided to personally extend his own suspension to 5 games was nothing but a PR stunt? I kept wondering if the mostly positive press given to BYU and their handling of the Brandon Davies suspension didn't make the Ohio State administration squirm a little? Their President made a big deal about how the non BCS schools didn't deserve to play on the biggest stage. I think if you are planning to operate your athletic programs at the highest level, then you better obey the rules.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    April 1, 2011 6:11 a.m.

Love the bowl games.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    April 1, 2011 2:35 a.m.

There are too many days off in the playoffs in MLB, but October is something they do really really well?

that's a contradiction; how can they do it well, if there are too many days off?

• willy Glenwood, UT
    March 31, 2011 10:46 p.m.

My 2-cents
    1- Make NFL do the OT like College Football does.
    ( I love watching OT games -of college football)
    2- Shorten MLB season and add more teams for playoffs, the present "wildcard"
    is a joke, there are too many games for a good team not to make the
    playoffs.
    3- NBA- like the other posts I seen - too many games - shorten playoffs.

But as you know.....the money/contracts go up...... owners will need
    more games to pay for them.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 31, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Who am I sir? | 9:02 p.m. March 31, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    re: veritas Aequitas

===

I'm with you all the way.

You kids hang the banner of the score in the Vegas Bowl against the WAC powerhouse next to the BCS banner, and I will personally tell every recruit that BYU lost to USU. Don't forget to mention the UNLV score to Utah recruits.

And every time you bring up BCS, BYU can bring up NC.

It's great to be a Ute!!!

I think that is fair and honest.

(Remind why we are playing this silly game, sir?)

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    March 31, 2011 9:19 p.m.

"Make you a deal. We'll acknowledge we lost to a nationally ranked Boise State (who happened to be the WAC champion and was 1 point away from probably playing in the national championship game) in the Vegas Bowl if you tell recruits you lost to Utah State."

At least BYU can score points against UNLV. 0-27 remember?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:02 p.m.

re: veritas Aequitas

Make you a deal. We'll acknowledge we lost to a nationally ranked Boise State (who happened to be the WAC champion and was 1 point away from probably playing in the national championship game) in the Vegas Bowl if you tell recruits you lost to Utah State. Now that's "truth in advertising"!!! By the way, in what conference are the majority of BYU sports playing in next year?

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Great article - loved the ideas. It would be nice if the powers that be would read articles like this and pay attention to what the fans want. I was salivating over the matchups in the proposed NCAA football tournament - man that would be fun! The current mess with the Fiesta Bowl just proves that the BCS and the bowl system are only still in place to continue to feed the fat cats and keep out the teams and conferences that aren't part of the good old boy network. What a disgrace!

My suggestion for another change is to shorten the shot clock in college basketball. If the women can play with a 30 second clock, why do the men need 35 seconds? How many times per game do we sit and watch some guy dribble the ball at mid-court while waiting for the shot clock to run down? How many games end up with final scores of 52-50 or something close to that because one or both teams have milked the clock on every possession? A shorter shot clock means more action, more scoring, more basketball, more entertainment.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 31, 2011 7:37 p.m.

I think the BCS is perfect. Simply perfect.

• David R. SLC, Utah
    March 31, 2011 7:03 p.m.

I don't like any of them except #1.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 31, 2011 5:57 p.m.

I love them all...

May I add one?

How about we make the college football Nationional Championship more important than winning a BCS Bowl?

And if you hang a banner that states you won a BCS Bowl Game, right next to it, you have to hang a banner stating that you lost (got blown out) the Vegas Bowl to a WAC team.

Truth in advertising....

Otherwise, you are phony wannabes...

• Thlete Draper, UT
    March 31, 2011 5:52 p.m.

Correction on #4:
    "Youve got two baseball teams, two basketball teams, a hockey team, a soccer team (for crying out loud), yet no football team"

They have 2 hockey teams (LA and Anaheim are same TV market, right?) and 2 MLS teams: Chivas and Galaxy play in the same stadium. Mix that with the Sacramento Kings might be moving to Anaheim for a 3rd NBA team in the area, and I think they've got enough.

• thrashsoundly Logan, UT
    March 31, 2011 5:31 p.m.

I disagree with #13.
    Conferences should be able to pick their automatic representative to the NCAA tournament, whether the season winner, or a tournament winner and not be forced to chose one or the other.
    Examples from this year:
    WAC/Big South/A-Sun: USU, Belmont and Coastal Carolina were runaway winners during the season and their conferences should be allowed to pick them as opposed to team who may beat them on a last second shot in the tourney. USU and Belmont won their tournaments, Coastal did not.
    WCC/Horizon: Teams at the top are too close to call a winner. It's better for a conference to have a tournament to decide who to send. How different would this year's NCAA tournament be if the Horizon regular season winner, Milwaukee got the auto bid instead of Butler? The conference was lucky in sending the tournament winner.
    Ivy: The Ivy gets around the rule by electing not to have a tournament. But this year a tie forced a playoff between Harvard and Princeton.

I think the conference should decide what criteria they want to use to send a team as their automatic representative

• doingmyway Salem, UT
    March 31, 2011 5:10 p.m.

Another change should be to raise the basket to the height of 18 feet, then it would be more a game of skill than height.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 31, 2011 5:09 p.m.

On the DH in baseball:

I agree that it needs to be one or the other; either get rid of it completely or make it universal. And since it is pretty much universal other than the National League, I'd have to say getting rid of pitcher hitting has to be the choice. But you can't have different rules if the two leagues are going to be facing off.

Case in point: Chien Ming Wang. Guy hurts his foot running the bases in an inter-league game; doing something he's not used to doing. How many major league pitches has he thrown since? Next to none. Switching rules may have ruined his career.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 31, 2011 4:55 p.m.

The argument against #13 is UConn, who may not have even made the tourney without winning their conference championship.

The argument against #12 is big schools losing freshman to the NBA is bringing parity to NCAA basketball. It is one reason VCU and Butler made the final four, it is one reason those schools can retain their coaches (why go to a bigger school with more pressure when you can have a shot at the title coaching at the school you love?), it is one reason MWC, WCC, teams can compete. It is also one of the reasons Utah doesn't have a coach yet. Why move to a lower tier Pac 12 team when you can stay at an elite team from a "lessor" conference and make the tournament?

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 31, 2011 4:35 p.m.

"Here's a twenty-first suggestion: Shorten the NBA season"

Here here, the games in the middle of the season are flat out boring, they just go through the motions. If you're one of the handfull of elites, games are little more than practice, if your everyone else, it's just get through it and on to the next city.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 31, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Good article, and a good list. I disagree with #15 - I think pitchers should be required to bat in all leagues. But I'm 100% behind a playoff system in college football. I like the 16 team idea, but even if it were 8 teams it would be better than how it is now. With 8, each BCS conference gets 1 team and then 2 at large teams. Strength of schedule needs to carry more weight in college FB. Too many teams are focused on playing the patsies for their non-conference games. Nobody wants to watch those.

• RKC Highland, UT
    March 31, 2011 4:33 p.m.

None of this will ever work. There is to much common sense in it.

• satch Highland, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:54 p.m.

Excellent article. All of which are common sense.

I used to be a basketball fan. Since the 90's I quit watching. The officiating was so predictable! It really has destroyed the game. Maybe they need to hire people who know nothing about the game, teach them the rules, and let them call the game. The NBA game has its glam still- but the product is corrupt.

Finally, college football is the biggest disappointment of all! College football is such a great sport- that is until the end of the year. The current individuals in charge are holding 90% of the nation in bondage. Enough already. There would be 20 times the money and we would have a TRUE national championship. Those college playoffs would be more popular than any sport in the US.

• 3rdGenAggie Logan, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:54 p.m.

Great list! I wholeheartedly agree with everything said here! (I admit, I don't much care about baseball...so that sport can do whatever). But the suggestions for NBA, NCAA B-ball and Football are great. The powers that be will never let it happen, but there would be so much more parity and sports would be fun again! Too bad money has essentially ruined sports.

Re: Boris. I think that's a great idea too, but I think they should do it for NCAA conferences too. Have 4 regional conferences with different tiers. Winners in Football move up, losers move down. Do the same thing for basketball. You keep regional rivalries relatively healthy, the best programs will almost always stay the best, but the other programs will have a chance to get better. "Olympic" sports can all just stay in geographically based conferences that don't change. Everybody is happy, money is saved and it's fair.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:45 p.m.

You missed the Number 1 needed change in NCAA sports--

* All referees should be pulled OUT of the NCAA conferences and placed in a pool of national referees. They do not work for any conference, and they answer to a national organization of referees, where they are ranked and judged on their abilities, skills, talents and lack of mistakes.

When officials or calls are in question, teams/coaches can go to a governing board and have calls looked into. A report should be made public when errors are made.

• Mars x, CA
    March 31, 2011 3:34 p.m.

20 great points. Thanks for the thoughts. Excellent sports article!

• boris Provo, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:26 p.m.

I love #1. A tournament style playoff for college football would be great.

I think the NBA should do what England does with soccer. Keep the D league as a third tier but divide the current NBA into a first and second division. Games are focused mostly within the division but division losers are relegated and division winners are promoted. With so many teams it would create a few other interesting scenarios of meaning to follow besides the playoffs. Heck, do the same thing with baseball. So many teams have nothing to play for year after year so make a few divisions and create a system with promotion/relegation. Of course the business of sports wouldn't let these ideas fly but it would sure add some excitement.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:22 p.m.

This is a very good start. I can't see any of them I don't like. I would get rid of everything on NBA all star weekend except the actual game and the 3 point shooting contest. The dunk contest is a waste of time. I like the idea of some one on one except it would just be another ego feeder for what should be a team sport.

How about a hard salary cap in the NBA.

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:17 p.m.

On further look on his football playoff, just like the NCAA basketball tournament all conference champions should get a chance. That's 11 conferences and five at large. The point of a tournament is to be inclusive. If the BCS system was used or even this suggested playoff system, teams like Butler wouldn't even be in the tournament. And on further look, in college basketball get rid of the conference tournament. Certainly it doesn't do the little conferences any good to have their #8 team somehow win the tournament and get roasted in the first round. Make sure you are sending your best representative and make the regular season actually mean something besides seeding for a stupid tournament.

• Uncle Gadianton Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 31, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Here's a twenty-first suggestion: Shorten the NBA season, so that each team plays every other team twice, at home and on the road (I believe this adds up to about 60 games). Two games could played every weekend, starting with Thursday/Saturday and a Friday/Sunday schedule. (Like the NCAA Tourney). Some games could be moved to Mondays, particularly during the last half of the season.

This would eliminate the back-to-back games where some poor road team staggers into an arena after catching a 3:00 am flight from who knows where, and then sleepwalking their way through a game that they have no chance of winning.

Having all games on the weekend would allow the NBA to benefit from the publicity that NFL teams enjoy: Everyone will talking about the matchups for the coming weekend. It will also allow players to spend more time at their own homes, rather than 7-10 days on the road, living out of hotels. Fewer games means less revenue, but it will open up arenas for other events.

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:12 p.m.

I agree mostly except for a couple of baseball issues.

1) Get RID of the DH in the American League and play baseball.
    2) No need to get rid of baseball games unless you go back to 154. The cool thing about baseball is that you can compare players from all eras for the most part. There can be more double headers etc. and also the way the playoffs are structured with rest days between the games vs. how the sport is generally played in the regular is the real culprit for November baseball. This wasn't a problem until the last few years even with the 162 game schedule. That is what needs to be retooled, not lesser games (but 154 could be a reasonable cut because that is how baseball used to be).

But overall a good list. I would like to see NCAA athletes get a stipend or something and perhaps that would lead to less corruption. And I would like coaches to be put on probation etc. if their programs get out of line. It is usually the program that gets the sanctions and the kids that suffer and the coach still gets paid.

• Booyatzee Syracuse, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:05 p.m.

Amen. #21 allow strength of schedule to play into college football rankings. Yes I'm talking to you Ohio State and Florida.