Sports

Red roundup: Utah-USC football game may be moved to a Sunday

Comments

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 4, 2011 9:56 a.m.

There's really not a whole lot of difference of being crushed on Sunday by USC as any other day. So what's the big deal...other than being exposed to about 14 million people nationwide on National TV. It has to happen to somebody!!!

USC 42 Utah 10

April 3, 2011 9:39 p.m.

TJ,

Here you go:
    From the Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective. The following is from their 2010 College Football Attendance Rankings showing the teams with the most sellouts in each conference based on percentage of tickets sold.

Utah 100.98% 45,459/game

Brigham Young 95.84% 61,381/game

Based on this analysis, the Utes had the highest sellout percentage in the MWC. So when we actually look at the numbers and don't rely on hyperbole we see that you are wrong.

As far as being careful what you wish for, I'm not worried about that, especially in football. We have good coaches in place and a good recruiting pipeline that will only be enhanced by the new conference affiliation. If we didn't have ther recognition or respect we wouldn't have been invited to join the conference. Why can't you simply be happy with were your team is going and leave us to be happy with our direction? Is your pride still stinging from not getting the invite BYU had not so secretly wanted for so many years? I'm happy for BYU and wish them well.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Mormon Ute. Which games are you counting as sellouts from last year? During the TCU game the stadium was only half full at halftime?

I keep hearing the word "exposure" thrown out there by the Ute fans and how it is going to work for them. Consider this. How bad will the exposure be if the Utes get beat down at USC on national TV. Will this negatively affect their recruiting? The Utes don't have a 10th of the national recognition, brand and respect of their brothers to the south so they would likely not be able to weather negative exposure as well.
    Be careful what you wish for Utes.

April 2, 2011 9:59 p.m.

Where's Stockton,

You obviously haven't been to a Utah game in a few years. We sold out more games than BYU this past season and have increased our season ticket sales every year for the past 3. You might want to check your facts before embarrasing yourself.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 2, 2011 8:33 p.m.

@ Wer...
    The utes attendance will be about the same as usual...half full...regarless of what day of the week

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 2, 2011 8:29 p.m.

Hedgie
    Work the Ann Arbor angle while your up there... and maybe bring a little Joy back to town by having the Wolverene's trounce the Utes in your backyard. Now that would be interesting.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 2, 2011 8:25 p.m.

@ken
    Yeap you're so right... watching USC cleaning their cleats on the PAC's new doormat will be an interesting event...no matter what day of the week.

April 1, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Are you seriously trying to compare what nurses, doctors, fireman and policman do to earning a living playing sports? You can't be serious. Sports is only played on Sundays, because that's when they get the most money. There is no compelling reason for them to do it like saving a life or protecting the public. So don't try to justify the choice of pro athletes by comparing them to more critical services.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    April 1, 2011 9:12 a.m.

A long time ago, BYU decided that playing any games on Sunday violated the fourth commandment which is to "keep the Sabbath holy." That others choose to interpret that commandment differently, or who don't believe in the ten commandments at all, is their business. I don't care if Utah plays all their games on Sunday, doesn't have an honor code or any standards at all. BYU has their standards and if that means not being chosen by the "bigger conferences" then so be it. Utah fans like hedgehog should enjoy Utah's new neighborhood and stop obsessing about BYU's choices. I also think that characterizing Utah's move to the PAC10 as "huge" for the state of Utah is a bit of a stretch, but if it makes everybody there proud, good for them. I probably won't be watching college football on Sunday anytime soon, but if Utah fans want to pack res on Sunday, more power to them.

March 31, 2011 7:54 p.m.

Well said, Magna Ute Fan.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:14 p.m.

As a Utah season ticket holder, I am not happy about the possibility of them playing on Sunday. I won't go to a Sunday game, though I doubt I'll have a hard time selling my tickets.

Some Utah bashers want to portray Utah's move to be simply about greed and money. I would argue that it's about raising the University's (and the state's) status and long term survival of the football team. Utah moving to the PAC 12 is HUGE for the state of Utah. If/when the "super conferences" are formed Utah could not afford to be left out. Staying in the MWC was a potential death sentence for all Utah sports teams. SO they did what they thought needed to be done.

The BYU officials recognized that they couldn't remain in the status quot. They had to match Utah's bet. So they did what they thought they needed to do.

Now we have some darn exciting football coming to SLC and Provo. Let's enjoy the ride!

Go Utes!

March 31, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Duckhunter,

I couldn't fit this in that last comment, but it is the very same issue, as some the BYU fans have put it. They claim it was a choice the U made knowing they would have to play on Sunday. So I am pointing out there are people they idolize who have made that same choice and those people are not condemned. So don't condemn the U for something we have little control over. Don't forget, officials at BYU have acknowledged, they have been trying to get into the PAC-12 or Big-12 for years. So don't sit back now and make it sound as though we are evil for taking the invitation.

If you read my first comment on this article, you would not even think that I was trying to rationalize this. I said right from the beginning college sports don't belong on Sunday.

March 31, 2011 4:51 p.m.

Duckhunter,

I guess you and I remember it differently, but the bottom line is that kids like Stanley Havili can now play in the PAC-12 and go on a mission if they go to the U and that was my point.

So if kids being recruited take into account Sunday play, how does that not affect recruiting? That is what you said and I didn't put that into your mouth.

I made that list of LDS professional athletes, because some of the BYU fans on here are making critical statements about the U for going to a conference that may ask them to play on Sunday. They are saying it was a conscious choice by the U. So I am saying, if you are going to condemn the U for that what about all those former BYU athletes that are idolized by the BYU faithful? They have made the choice to play on Sunday, but it's okay for them? Why do those people condemn the U for this situation?

With that being said, I am one Ute fan not happy about it. As I said earlier, college sports aren't for Sunday.

March 31, 2011 4:37 p.m.

skywalker,

I didn't say anything about BYU's ESPN deal. Stanley Havili had eliminated BYU from his list and was only considering the U and USC. I think he would have chosen the U, which would have allowed him to serve a mission, if the U was playing in the same conference as USC. The exposure isn't limited to the time of day the games are played. All the national sports writers will be watching the Utes play, because they can't afford not to cover the PAC-12. What they say about the kids has a lot to do with the scouts coming to see them live. This article and conversation isn't about whose TV deal is better. The Utes move to the PAC-12 will be infinitely better than what we had in the MWC, financially, recruiting and exposure wise. I have said nothing here to compare our situation to BYU, but obviously you couldn't resist. You should read my comments on some articles where that is actually relevant. I have fully acknowledged the Utes could not go independent, so why do you persist in comparing that move to our PAC-12 affiliation?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 31, 2011 4:05 p.m.

Actually mormon ute Havili did not narrow it down to utah and usc it was BYU and usc and when he had his announcement on tv thoese were the two hats he had in front of him and he picked up the usc hat. But that is a side note.

But you are putting words in my mouth anyway, I never said it would hurt utah's recruiting, I said it would be something certain kids would take into account when making their decision. If I had to guess however I think they will lose more LDS recruits than they will gain by playing on Sunday. But that is a completely different issue than whether or not they gain LDS recruits by being in the pac10. I'm sure LDS kids will take both of those things into account.

Also I'm not really sure why you are getting so worked up over guys that have played prof. sports on Sunday. Prof. sports are not the same as college athletics. Playing prof. is a career choice that very few have the option to do. It isn't even the same issue.

Perhaps you are trying to rationalize this to yourself?

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    March 31, 2011 4:01 p.m.

Mormon Ute

Do you really think that playing a late Saturday night PAC 12 game on FOX Regional is going to give a player like Havili more exposure than playing Ole' Miss, Texas, or TCU in much earlier national broadcasts on ESPN?

The PAC 12, based strictly on geography, is going to consistently have more late Saturday night games than any other conference. NOBODY is going to play a game starting before 7pm in Tuscon or Phoenix.

Remember Boise State playing Virginia Tech at Fed Ex Field. BYU playing Oklahoma in Dallas Stadium. BYU at Texas on a Saturday in early September and BYU vs TCU in Dallas Stadium on a Friday night in late October could both be just as big and both will be nationally broadcast on ESPN.

BYU isn't going to duplicate the exposure Notre Dame gets as an Independent, but it will generate MUCH more exposure than Utah fans are willing to acknowledge, and, depending on how BYU and Utah are doing, could easily dwarf the exposure Utah gets.

Nothing generates exposure like winning, but having the right television partner certainly helps when you are successful.

March 31, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Duckhunter,

I think playing in the PAC-12 will have the opposite affect. There are kids who have decided not to go on missions, because they were being recruited by top level programs and were told they would not have their scholarship when they got back, if they went.

Stanley Havili is a good example. As a running back out of Cottonwood High School in Salt Lake he was being recruited by BYU, Utah, and USC. He narrowed his choices down to Utah and USC, but USC told him he couldn't go on a mission if he went there. He chose USC to get the exposure he wanted for a possible NFL career. He wouldn't have to make that choice now. He could go to the U, serve a mission, and still get the exposure in the PAC-12 that he wanted.

March 31, 2011 1:20 p.m.

BYUCOLORADO,

Since you are trying to make this out to be so much about choice. Let's take a look at who has chosen to play sports on Sunday. Danny White, Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, Steve Young, Dale Murphy, Bishop Danny Ainge, Andy Toolson, Devin Durrant, Fred Roberts, Vai Sikahema, Jason Buck, Bart Oates, Shawn Bradley, and a whole host of other LDS athletes most of whom when to BYU that I could name if I had the space and the time to do the research. So while your condemning the Utes do you mean to condemn all of your beloved BYU athletes who go pro? There are plenty of other careers they could have chosen that wouldn't require Sunday play. Just ask Eli Herring.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 31, 2011 1:19 p.m.

Also nomo last time I checked the LDS church owns KSL TV and radio. Both operate on Sundays because in those business's they simply have to. When the church still owned IHC they didn't shut the hospitals down just because it was Sunday. Those doctors and Nurses that worked on Sunday made decisions about being in the profession they are in as well. My wife, who is an RN has to occasionally work on Sunday's and she is a full tithe paying, calling holding, member in good standing.

I would prefer that college athletics did not play on Sunday's. I think they owe it to the student athletes to not force it on them. But if someone decides they are going to do it then that is their choice not mine. I won't judge them for it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 31, 2011 1:13 p.m.

@nomo

Did you even read what I wrote? I said right in it that it DOESN'T make it ok but since it is their employment most of us understand it.

Also I am not judging anyone for playing on Sunday whether they are amateur or professional. That is their business not mine. I simply made an observation that there are going to be some players that are going to factor it into their decision when they are being recruited. There are also alot of fans around here that won't attend a game on Sunday.

But those sorts of things are personal decisions and I'm not going to tell someone I don't even know what they should decide. I can tell you that when I was a kid in California I chose not to play Allstar baseball because it required Sunday play. But if I had the talent to play professionally I might have made a different decision.

Anytime things are narrowed down to personal situations they are different than institutional ones. If an institution makes that decision then it makes it easy on the individuals. But an individual deciding his livliehood is a different matter altogether.

March 31, 2011 1:03 p.m.

BYUCOLORADO,

I have to challenge much of what you have said. The U still has a huge influence from the LDS students that go there. The LDS Institute at the U is one of the biggest in the Church and the LDSSA sponsors a ton of campuswide events that everyone is invited to. True, as a government run institution the U cannot let religious principles control too many decisions and the Sunday play thing is one of those. But I will ask you how many former BYU athletes have gone on to play pro sports on Sunday? Do you question their committment to the Church?

BYU cannot educate all LDS kids. Some years ago President Hinckley publicly encouraged LDS young people to go to school where they live, attend institute and be good examples to people of other faiths on those campuses.

I think the U in the PAC-12 will enhance recruiting with LDS atheletes being able to play in that conference and still go on missions.

You Bruce Pearl comment was an outright lie and an attack on the U that shouldn't have been allowed by the moderators. The U doesn't tolerate that kind of behavior.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    March 31, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Bottomline: it is the price to pay for being in the PAC12. And that will affect some recruits choice.

However, many BYU players go on to play in the NFL. But if I was a recruit and I could not play on Sundays during college that would be a nice draw.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    March 31, 2011 12:57 p.m.

@utesovertide

They are not obligated to do it. They chose that by choosing to join the PAC12. There are countless conferences (The MWC) that do not play on Sunday.

It is just a choice the Utes made. Very avoidable, but they decided it was worth it to them. And the Utes will be expected to play on Sundays. They are not a private university. The divide between BYU and Utah will grow larger. Everyone knows BYU will not play on Sundays.

• nomo Draper, UT
    March 31, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Duckhunter so I guess if you are a professional and its for money its okay to play on Sunday..Kids in college who play on Sunday are far more honorable than those that play on Sunday for millions of dollars. According to your logic its ok if its for the money and you are obligated..You are only obligated to play on Sunday if you choose to be a part of teams that play on Sunday. If a college football player would not go to a school because they play on Sunday than he better not even think about the NFL..Or is that ok? since he's making so much money...typical

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    March 31, 2011 12:30 p.m.

@utesovertide

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Sunday is the best day for football, wake up and watch football all day. No better way to waste a Sunday away!

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 11:33 a.m.

@Duckhunter

There are 3 points in my comment, and it seems you agree with them: 1) The people in charge at the U would soften the blow of any Sunday play as much as possible 2) Utes have beat USC before (not saying its not a hard thing to do, just saying it can be done) 3) Playing on Sunday is "understandable" if you are obligated to do it. These kids aren't working for the U, but they are given scholarships, stipends, etc. which is pretty close.

You're a logical commenter for the most part. My comment was aimed at those who came before me illogically bashing the U. for possibly playing on an occasional Sunday when many of them support the Jazz who also occasionally play on Sunday. (The Jazz may not have any LDS team members, but the Millers are LDS.)

I don't just "lash out" against BYU fans, but I do keep them honest every now and then with a different perspective.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 31, 2011 10:28 a.m.

@utesovertide

You almost made a decent post but there at the end you just couldn't help yourself.

1st of all the Jazz are professionals. That doesn't make it "ok" to play on Sundays but since it is their job we all understand they are obligated to it. I also don't think any of the current Jazz players and coaches are LDS. Then there is also the fact that the Jazz rarely play Sunday home games.

I honestly don't understand your point, to be honest I don't think you even have a point you just wanted to lash out at BYU fans. The truth is utah does have alot of LDS players and fans and my guess is the majority of them would prefer not to play on Sunday. They would probably do it if required to do so but I could see how that may affect some kids when it came time to decide what school to attend. Not playing on Sunday isn't going to affect any kids decision but having to play on Sunday very well might. Once again I am sure those in charge at utah are aware of that.

• Mmars01 Lehi, UT
    March 31, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Ken, you are wrong. It is the ONLY reason BYU may not be invited to a bigger conference. Winning and fan base apparently have nothing to do with it as proven by the utes and the buffs.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:50 a.m.

"The Utes are acquiescing at every turn right now"

I guess well have to just trust them to the Lords hands now, it's their only hope!!!

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Chris Hill does a great job at keeping the LDS faithful Utah fans in mind when doing scheduling. Ever wondered why most games on conference weekend in the fall are away games or Thursday games? If the Utes have to play on Sunday they'll likely do it on the road.

For the record, last time the Utes played USC on national TV we beat them, even with Carrol, Chow, and Davis on the USC staff.

I don't like the idea of playing on Sunday either, but for the BYU people bashing the Utes for considering Sunday play if they are told to do so by the league, lets all go bash the Jazz for playing on Sunday when the league tells them to. Oh, wait, most of you are Jazz fans so that makes it different.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    March 31, 2011 9:21 a.m.

This is the price of playing in the PAC12. For some the price couldn't be low enough. For others the price is very, very steep. Sad that the likes of @hedgehog don't recognize that.

Most Utes reference the LDS leadership having attended Utah as a way to legitimize the U. However, we will start seeing the number that attended the U dropping rapidly. The divide between the U and BYU is growing greater and greater every year. Some are happy about that. But they also have to recognize that some of their top athletes are Mormons and the school is in Utah. This will obviously affect recruiting. It is foolish to laugh about how "Utes" don't care about Sunday play in such when a LARGE portion of the team is mormon.

The Utes are even considering Bruce Pearl as a coach. The Utes are acquiescing at every turn right now. The divide will only get bigger and bigger. For some like @hedgehog that is fine. For others, it's a deal breaker.

Interesting times ahead!

March 31, 2011 9:11 a.m.

If that kid is good enough for UNC, it's too bad we lost out on him. We need to get our basketball program back to where we don't lose that kind of talent that actually wants to come to Utah. I don't think Larry K is the right man for the job. I'd rather see Hill hire an up and coming assistant from a solid program.

March 31, 2011 9:09 a.m.

I've never been in favor of college sports on Sunday for any school. This is all about TV money. The networks are worried about losing money if the NFL games aren't on and they are looking for ways to fill that void. It's too bad that money drives so many poor decisions that have a bad impact on our college athletes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 31, 2011 8:55 a.m.

I would imagine the powers that be at the university of utah know their attendance would not be good for a Sunday home game. The utes would play on Sunday if the pac10 asked them to do so but I'm willing to bet it would be away games not home games. I coach a baseball team with several LDS ute season ticket holders and asked them at practice last night if they would go to a Sunday game at res. All said they would not. I'm sure chris hill is more than aware of that fact.

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 31, 2011 8:35 a.m.

hedge,

I know quite a few Ute SEASON TICKET HOLDERS that won't attend a Sunday game at RES.

For all of you that don't understand this, there's a reason the Utah Jazz RARELY play a home game on Sunday.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    March 31, 2011 8:14 a.m.

Hedgie:

I found a ute article to see if you read them. You do. I find it funny that you spend your time on a ute article to go after the Y. Question? is it the Y that you hate or the faith and honor. If the utes want to play on Sunday that is their choice, not mine. So be it. They don't have to answer to me just themselves. There are a lot of religious schools that play regularly on Sunday, ND,SJ, BCU so what is the problem with the Y not playing.

• Justmythoughts Richfield, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Coach Whit.....former Cougar.
    Now Utah wants Dave Rose.....Cougar
    ESPN football coverage....for the Cougars..

but hey. Utah can get a beat down by USC on Sunday. Wow I'm so jealous

• Rolston SLC, Utah
    March 30, 2011 9:36 p.m.

Just for the record, not everybody can write for Bleacher Report, it's actually pretty difficult nowadays. You have to submit all kinds of writing samples and such and then they only select the best. There quality of writers has improved tenfold in the last few months.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:24 p.m.

Exposure of Idaho State, Idaho, New Mexico State and Utah State will be tremendous. Isn't North Dakota State on the schedule in 2012?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 30, 2011 8:49 p.m.

Although ernest that is going to still be better than being beaten down by usc on fox regional.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 30, 2011 8:19 p.m.

TJ is correct. Beating Idaho State by 3 on byu TV will be tremendous exposure.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    March 30, 2011 8:19 p.m.

id rather utah did not play sunday simply because of the number of LDS kids on the team, but as BYU fans justify it, its their job so its ok.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 30, 2011 8:01 p.m.

Say it ain't so.

I like my college football on Saturday, thank you very much.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 30, 2011 7:17 p.m.

@wedgie

I know plenty of ute fans that will not attend a game in res if it is held on Sunday.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 30, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Tommy,

I see you're from Lehi. Didn't they film Footloose there?

LOL!

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    March 30, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Sunday football for the Utes. What will they think up next? Maybe they'll even start paying the kids to play like Auburn and the other top programs do. Hey, a little extra cash to waste on a little ol' tattoo on the arm. Great to hear you might be getting a decent coach. Good luck representing our state.

• jiacheng09 Provo, UT
    March 30, 2011 6:04 p.m.

Boylen missing on that kid from NC is just another example of his shortcomings as a coach. Hopefully the U can get a coach that recruits athletic basketball players that want to go to the U. Its really inexcusable. How can you build a contender when you let athletes like that get away. I hope the U gets Larry Krystkowiak and becomes a contender again.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 30, 2011 6:03 p.m.

"I know that there are several LDS players on the Utah Football roster.
    If this game does end up happening, it will be interesting to see if any Utah players sit out of the game"

PSzoob,

Yea and maybe Kwhitt will watch from his coach. Somehow you tds fans confuse a public, free thinking liberal College with your iron fist honor code "school".

And by the way, If the game was played in Utah on Sunday it would be standing room only.

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    March 30, 2011 5:24 p.m.

I know that there are several LDS players on the Utah Football roster.
    If this game does end up happening, it will be interesting to see if any Utah players sit out of the game.

With the game being played in LA, I can definitely see it working out. The Colosseum fits nearly 80k fans and would have no problem filling up on a sunday. And I'm sure much of the Nation will tune in to watch the game as it will be an intriguing match-up to see how the Utes premier in the PAC goes.
    However, In 2010 Utah was beaten very badly whenever they surfaced for a game on National Television.
    So maybe it would be better if the game was kept regional?

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    March 30, 2011 5:24 p.m.

It'll never happen. The NFL will get its act together longer before September. Pre-season games might be sacrificed, but not regular season games.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    March 30, 2011 5:19 p.m.

College football games should not be played on Sunday. That is very disappointing that this is a possibility. I had thought of going to the USC game, but I won't if it is held on Sunday.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 30, 2011 4:36 p.m.

"If the game is in SLC, what kind of attendance do you think there will be?"

Google is your friend!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 30, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Great Scott (PAC-12 commissioner) Pro-active in promoting a great product - PAC 12 football. I too doubt it will happen but what if it does? National exposure (for the league and new member Utah); Utah vs USC(!!!). As I understand the arrangement Utah would get its full share of conference revenue from this game (additional $'s directly related to Utah's membership in the conference) And I would bet the $'s are BIG. Sunday replacement for NFL - WOW!!! AND WHEN WE WIN!!!!! EXTRA WOW!!!

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    March 30, 2011 3:57 p.m.

@ Oregonian:

Where do you have Oregon State finishing this year? Here in Seattle the talk is UW v Oregon and USC sanctions and that's about it. Seems to me that other than on the road at Oregon, the conference schedule looks manageable in terms of home vs. away games.

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    March 30, 2011 3:41 p.m.

hedgie-

Thanks for the clarification on the Bleacher Report. I actually have a job so I don't have time to troll the internet all day so any information from you helps out a lot. From now on I'll consider the Bleacher Report as written by people that have more zeal than intelligence (same consideration I give to your predictions).

ps..You should probably let the Utah beat writer in on your information too.

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 30, 2011 3:32 p.m.

hedge,

The fact that Dirk Facer quotes Bleacher Report's rankings means he gives them some credence. When's the last time he quoted you? I suppose since they didn't vote Utah #1 next year in the conference means they're a bunch of "shlubs", right?

• jefferysl Huntsville, Alabama
    March 30, 2011 3:31 p.m.

wer,
    It's at USC. Your concerns are valid, you should communicate them to the Utah athletic director. I'm sure accomodations can be made. Oh, and I'm UW Huskies fan living in Alabama that likes Utah and, like me, there are people in the PAC-12 who are somewhat ignorant of your concerns. Folks'll be more thoughtful once they understand. Even us Babylonians.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    March 30, 2011 3:18 p.m.

The article also emphasizes that there are a lot of legal hurdles in contracts to make this happen. It is purely conjecture. I don't see it happening. For one thing there will be NFL football in the fall. There is just too much money involved for anyone to walk away.

• TrueUte Holladay, UT
    March 30, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I can't believe Boylen missed offering the kid from NC anything maybe he thought the kid knew basketball and could see there was none at the U now. I hope whoever comes in knows Utah and it's nuances. I also hope they know how to coach (play, motivate , educate, recruit, etc.)

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 30, 2011 3:11 p.m.

UTAH vs. USC - National exposure on Sunday.

Nothing would be finer.

It's great to be a Ute.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    March 30, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Having a Sunday game is supposed to be an improvement, according to at least one poster? If the game is in SLC, what kind of attendance do you think there will be? Be sure and have the bishop move church meeting times to accommodate the rush to Babylon.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 30, 2011 2:03 p.m.

"This is a little higher than I have them but The Bleacher Report knows more than I do"

Oregonian,

I susepect most people know more than you. Do you understand how Bleacher Report works? Any shlub can publish on that site. For All we know they allowed the likes of "bluto" to write the article.

Move along now. Youve embarrassed yourself enough.

• jefferysl Huntsville, Alabama
    March 30, 2011 2:02 p.m.

UW fan here. You folks should check out Ted Miller's ESPN PAC-10 Football Blog (no, I don't know why they haven't changed the name yet). He had a nice rundown on quite a few teams and their progress in Spring Ball. It looks like USC is just ravaged with injuries right now, not a lot of kids participating. I can imagine Utah having quite an opportunity for good exposure if they can beat SC at home on a Sunday. It's doable!

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    March 30, 2011 1:48 p.m.

"The Utes are 6th"

This is a little higher than I have them but The Bleacher Report knows more than I do. I had Oregon State above Utah simply because they have a good returning QB. I think Colorado will be tougher than expected. 6th would be a great start and very doable. Especially since they don't play the two best teams in the conference next year (Oregon and Stanford).

Re: Ken "Sunday game, and ANOTHER reason a certain school will never be invited to the big leagues"

Exactly. It was simply several university presidents saying they will not allow a religious school in the PAC10. BYU understands that and decided to chart their own course. In the end, both schools did what was best for them and both schools will be better off because of it. To assume the PAC10 compared BYU and Utah as apples to apples is naive at best.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 30, 2011 12:44 p.m.

hedge;
    A major beatdown on national television is not the type of exposure your team needs in it's first year with the big boys.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 30, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Ken,

Great point. National exposure for everyone outside of provo.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    March 30, 2011 11:35 a.m.

Sunday game, and ANOTHER reason a certain school will never be invited to the big leagues. It will be an awesome showdown!

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    March 30, 2011 11:14 a.m.

If Larry Krystkowiak becomes the Ute head BB coach I might just have to stop looking at the Ute's program an ongoing laughing stock. Kristko is a great guy and a great coach. We loved him when he coached the Stampede here in the CBA. Hire him and I will likely pull for the Utes again, though being anything short of a welcome door mat in the PAC-12 for the foreseeable future isn't likely.

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    March 30, 2011 11:13 a.m.

"Utah lost out on signing Wilmington, N.C., prep star Stilman White. The long-time Ute fan, who received offers from BYU and Utah State, but not from Jim Boylen, has decided to become a North Carolina Tar Heel."

Did Boylen do any recruiting this year? I've only heard of one new player coming in who wasn't on the roster this season.