Utah Utes roundup: ESPN visits U. football practice

• papa ute murray, ut
    March 30, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Nice to see that the tds are having another bad day. If you are so much better off as an Indy-lol why do you have such jealous fits every time something nice happens for the Utes? And quit comparing yourself to Notre Dame, they are exclusive with NBC! And the most followed team in the country, you lost to Utah State, imagine what Espn will think if the Aggies roll you again?

Go Utes!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    March 30, 2011 1:54 p.m.

You're right, BYU's situation is similar to what it was in the MWC, and that is what I said in my post. I also pointed out that I think it will be a little easier because their only true competition for that spot is BSU, now that Utah and TCU are out.

As for Utah, that's a legitimate question. 50 years is certainly a long time to only rack up 6 titles, but Utah's 3 titles in the past 9 years, is probably a more accurate assessment of the current state of Utah football. Yes, I do think that Utah's path to a BCS bid will ultimately be easier. It is a very difficult thing to have a 1 or 0 loss season. It also raises Utah's ceiling to actually have a chance to play in the BCS championship game, which, realistically, is out of reach of a mid-major team.

BYU's contract is nothing like Notre Dame's with NBC, which is a truly exclusive contract. The fact that another tv entity will be televising BYU home games means it is not an exclusive contract.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    March 30, 2011 12:24 p.m.

BYU's BCS deal won't be quite as good as Notre Dame's, but it will be very similar to the deal they already had in the MWC - finish as the highest ranked non-AQ program with a BCS ranking of 12th or better. That is still doable with an 11-1 record.

Do you really think Utah's path to a BCS game got any easier being in the PAC 12? Sure, the Utes can do that with 2 or 3 losses, but the Utes will have to win the PAC 12 title to do that. Since the Utes have only won six conference titles in the weaker WAC/MWC conferences in the last 50 years, how realistic is it to think that the Utes will be winning PAC 12 titles anytime soon?

btw, exclusive means a contract strictly between BYU and ESPN, similar to Notre Dame and NBC. Most of BYU's home games will be televised on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, with the remainder being broadcast on BYUtv, which is already working on I-Phone apps so BYU fans will even be able to watch BYU games on their mobile devices.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    March 30, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Yes, some BYU games will be on ESPN. To my knowledge, ESPN won't be televising every BYU game over the next 8 years.

I'm also sure ESPN will be broadcasting other teams besides BYU, so I don't know how exclusive applies.

BYU has done well do get some elite programs like ND and Texas. But BYU also gets Idaho State, Idaho, Central Florida, New Mexico St. and USU, compelling match-ups, which, surely will have many eyes glued to the TV.

I'm not saying BYU's move to independence is good or bad. But the stance that BYU has somehow risen out of the ashes of the MWC and has doors opened to them that were beyond possible prior to independence is incorrect, in my opinion.

Until BYU gets a BCS deal like Notre Dame, they are still fighting the same uphill battle they were in the MWC. They will likely have more money than before, but they still essentially have to go undefeated to bust the BCS. With Utah and TCU moving on, their path is likely a little easier as they only have BSU to compete with, but still uphill.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 30, 2011 10:18 a.m.

The Cougars know all about jumping ahead - See move to independence, exclusive 8-year contract with ESPN, and scheduling of elite programs like Notre Dame and Texas, September 2010

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    March 30, 2011 9:26 a.m.

The Cougars know all about being left behind - See PAC 10 Expansion June 17, 2010

• Mt Rushmore Arlington, VA
    March 29, 2011 10:40 p.m.

The Utes know all about being punching bags on ESPN - see Las Vegas Bowl 2010.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    March 29, 2011 10:06 p.m.

I'm not sure being a punching bag would constitute highlights on ESPN. But they say, there no such thing as bad press.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2011 9:16 p.m.

Wow - such a small article brought out such a large amount of jealousy.

The coogs are the perenial preseason national champions so I guess it's to be expected. Something else you can all look forward to is the weekly crowning yourself a sweep of your conference awards! I love it.

As for the Utes, there is a lot of positive news coming from the football program and I can't wait for our first season in the PAC 12 to begin.

As for the coog basketball team, you had a great year. I would think your arms are getting tired of patting yourselvs on the back by now. I do find it interesting that the best byu basketball team in 30 years only made it to the sweet sixteen. The best basketball player to ever play for byu (and he is amazing) only won 3 NCAA tournament games. I'm glad all that has made you so happy. I guess when the program is overall mediocre you get excited about the sweet 16 - the Utes made it there with coach Giac! how sad is that?

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    March 29, 2011 8:10 p.m.

YOu have to wion big games BYU fans because your an indy now. Which equates to you still waiting to go to a BCS bowl.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    March 29, 2011 7:36 p.m.

No nerves were hit hedgie. Enjoy your podcast. LOL.

The lack of comments on this article tells us all we need to know.

If it wasn't for you and me replying to each other this article would be lost due to its irrelevance.

Kind of like the utah basketball team.

How is that coaching search going for you guys?

• jiacheng09 Provo, UT
    March 29, 2011 7:32 p.m.

U of U's basketball program might be in dire straits, but their football team is going to be brilliant. Here's to hoping that they make some noise in the Pac-12.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    March 29, 2011 7:25 p.m.

NO, BYU has just won a National Championship!

something the Utes used to do in women's gymnastics

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 29, 2011 6:50 p.m.

"because if the Cougars do well...."

I love how you and your other tds troll friends always paint the piture of "if" the kewgs do well and "when" the Utes fail. Nothing ever more balanced or rational from your ilk.

Now if you'll excuse me I'd like to head over to ESPN were several podcast of todays practice are available for viewing. I'd suggest maybe the 'cougar board" for "balanced information".

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 29, 2011 6:19 p.m.

oh such gloating remarks from folks who support a school that has never made it to the final four, nor ever played for a national championship in men's basketball...pride does cometh before the fall...and always when those who lack perspective open their mouths to gloat over small potatoes.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    March 29, 2011 6:18 p.m.

"the PAC12 has a dedicated ESPN reporter"

That's nice; so the reporter is doing the typical cover all of the teams in the conference during spring ball and fall practice, and then switch to only covering the big name programs during the regular season.

Which will leave the Utes where, when they get soundly beaten in their first PAC 12 game at USC?

BYU won't need the dedicated reporter, because if the Cougars do well, highlights from their just completed nationally televised game on ESPN will segue nicely into Sports Center. And then the Cougars will hyped by ESPN during the next week leading up to their next nationally televised game on ESPN.

See how nicely that all works out for BYU.

No worries. You'll get used to it.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 29, 2011 5:46 p.m.

Sorry if i hit a nerve. I'm just letting you know that the PAC12 has a dedicated ESPN reporter.....updated blog everyday and on campus reporting several times a year. Not sure y the Y doesn't have such a similar set up?

It probably has to do with being assoicated with a BCS conference. But for the life of me i can't figure out y Notre Dame has a dedicated espn reporter....I mean they're and "indy" as well.

Oh well, I guess some things are just they way they are.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    March 29, 2011 5:26 p.m.

Hedge have you not read anything the last 3 months?

ESPN has done nothing but report on BYU and the Jimmer.

They already have 3 NATIONALLY covered games scheduled and that is before they have even announced their Saturday games.

I'm guessing 7 or 8 NATIONALLY televised games for BYU on ESPN.

What channel can I catch the Utah games on? No seriously have they put the pac 10 on a network yet? Where do they broadcast those top bcs conference games?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 29, 2011 5:06 p.m.

"ESPN was just there to see which latest rumored basketball coach..."

Nope. Actually ESPN has a dedicated reporter to the Utes and PAC12. Infact, Ted, will be back several times this year. You see when you're in a top BSC conference you get this type of NATIONAL coverage.

and yes, I wonder Y no espn reporting at the Y?

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    March 29, 2011 4:49 p.m.

ESPN was just there to see which latest rumored basketball coach was going to turn down utah this week.

They should have kept Boylen. They aren't finding anyone better....

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    March 29, 2011 4:47 p.m.

Utah has a football team?

When did that happen?

I thought they were a women's gymnastics school.

I know for sure they don't have a men's basketball team.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2011 4:18 p.m.

Wait a minute. I thought ESPN only covered BYU?

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    March 29, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Miller was just there to see if little Wynn's mustache had grown any thicker...

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 29, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Gosh...the Utes on ESPN....no ESPN love for BYU? Oh, I forgot...only on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 29, 2011 2:26 p.m.

New athletic facilities, ESPN at spring practices.....It's GREAT to be a UTE!