Our wedding rings mean more than we expect

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    March 28, 2011 7:48 p.m.

As one who has been married in the temple for over 20 years I have yet wear a ring. I see no importance in one. other then to lose my finger because of wearing it. some exsamples getting my ring hooked on a ledge as I work over head and have the ring deglove my finger. or have electrical current go thru it and damage my finger. sorry my work requires me not to wear one.

• Andy Horlacher Sandy, Utah
    March 28, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Kudos to the author for a well thought out article about many critical aspects of marriage.

Vanka: Thanks for reminding us of the doctrine aspect. While rings are less significant in an eternal sense (and I submit that rings have NO eternal significance) than the Sealing, there is an earthly significance which should be remembered.

IMHO, once the person has passed to the eternal world, there is no significance of it to that person. I hope my wife removes mine privately just before the casket is closed because when I rise, I will no longer need it. This practice could lessen the likelihood of grave-digging/robbing in the future.

• lookbeyond Moab, UT
    March 28, 2011 9:48 a.m.

There was a moment of choice recently given to me, "do you want to remove your husbands wedding ring?" before they closed the casket! I hesitated and in that moment a flood of thoughts raced through my mind.....my answer was "no".....I want it to remain where it has been for almost 41 years! This article, written so eloquently, sums up the importance of the symbolism of the wedding ring and the marriage relationship that follows!
    I had a quick flash of what my sweethearts hand would look like without the ring and decided the beautiful memories we share and the special bonding that is ours as represented in our rings should not be removed.....ours was/is a marriage of love and harmony...one that will last through eternity!

• jdcray Richmond, VA
    March 28, 2011 6:28 a.m.

Nice article, and great thoughts on marriage.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    March 27, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Exchanging rings is not part of the temple marriage ceremony. Church leaders caution that a ring exchange should not turn into a second wedding or minimize the importance of the temple sealing. "No ceremony should be performed, and no vows should be exchanged.

According to Church policy and doctrine, wedding rings mean LESS than we expect.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    March 27, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Now wasn't that a beautiful and descriptive way of talking about your wedding ring. I liked the way she described it. Cudos to the gal who wrote this...it was such a pleasant and uplifting comment and it was very much appreciated by this reader...I too, appreciate and try to take care of my wedding ring.