Utah

UDOT makes history with American Fork bridge move

Comments

• Norm Salt Lake City, UT
    March 28, 2011 1:14 p.m.

I think it is amazing they can do this. It is needed but curious as to the cost and if a savings how much. I agree that the down time and traffic has been a big influence in building the bridge off-site and then moving into place. I would guess the people who use the free-way in this area appreciates the new system. I do know that UDOT very respected throughout the transportation world for being forward thinking on bridge construction. It is nice to see creative thinking and success such as the moving bridge.

• Murray Dad Murray, UT
    March 28, 2011 9:44 a.m.

Another successful bridge move. All parties make these incredibly complex feats seem like just another day on the job. Congratulations to the team - still a lot of work left to do and the clock is running; keep it up.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    March 28, 2011 9:16 a.m.

I am impressed that someone had the IDEA to build the bridge OFF-SITE and then transport it and put it into place! That's a true engineering feat!

Are these wise transportation dollars at work? Yeah! The amount of commerce that is generated in Utah County alone with the large college population helps stabilize the entire state of Utah, as well as the other larger metropolitan areas. It's a vision for the future while looking at the present and seeing what could be done, without being over taxing and overbearing.

I wish Oregon would think that way, instead of enacting law upon law that has no funding, and demanding that money be found. It's definitely squeezing blood from a turnip.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    March 28, 2011 7:21 a.m.

So Gentile what is wrong with coming out against something that is wrong? It doesn't matter if you are a liberal or conservative, if it is wrong, it is wrong. Why do liberals bring up things in the past and say all conservatives are against it because a conservative backed it. I guess we need to put all democrats in the same category as all liberals. Now that would be hilarious!

Way to call all fruit, apples!

• Gentile brookings, SD
    March 28, 2011 6:27 a.m.

"my problem is with liberals who want to spend money we don't have on projects we don't need" is hillarious. Remember the "project to nowhere" in ... Alaska defended by a vice-presidential candidate by the name of.... Palin!!!

Please genuflect before posting.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 27, 2011 9:00 p.m.

Re: MenaceToSociety | 1:31 p.m. March 27, 2011

Since you're not against these projects, since these projects are important, and since they have funded by federal fuel taxes I see no problem with this money being used for the purpose intended.

My problem is with liberals who want to spend money we don't have on projects we don't need.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    March 27, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Where are the protests over out of control federal spending? It's amazing all the complaints we have about federal spending, then those same people praise federal spending when it's in our state. I-15 reconstruction, hello! NSA spy center, hello! Orrin Hatch, hello!

Personally, I am not against these projects. They're important. But the hypocrisy of those who complain about spending in other states and praise spending in our state is a waste of time and should end.

• donburi Oceanside, CA
    March 27, 2011 1:16 p.m.

A football field + end zones is 360 feet, so 254 feet not even close. Do you mean 354 feet?