Utah

Wasatch High football coach Steve North charged with child abuse involving student

Comments

• soulwarden11 HEBER CITY, UT
    May 26, 2011 11:51 p.m.

Seriously? I had Coach North for three years straight as my PE coach as well as my Driver's Ed instructor. Sure he seems a bit rough around the edges, but he's gotta be in order to deal with the stupid kids acting up in class. PE classes are known for being the most rambunctious, but they're getting ridiculous.

I graduated in 2007 from WHS so it hasn't been that long. But I like to think of myself as a very "realistic" sort of guy and in my opinion: If North grabbed the kid, or pushed him, or "hit him with a hockey stick" as one News station alleged, the kid definitely deserved it. Heck, I wish he would've "hit" a few kids from my classes! Kids have no respect these days at all, and it's not just a local problem. Spend a few minutes in a residential estate in England and you'll see what I mean. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nil. Nought.

I vote in favor Corporal Punishment!

• Bronz Sunset, Ut
    March 24, 2011 4:49 p.m.

I'm not sure why anyone is saying Y ask Y get the information right? Y ask Y is stating an opinion. We all have one or else we wouldn't be wasting our time here! Lets wait a few weeks and see what the video tape shows! The truth will come out and I'm sure there are going to be many surprised people who have shared their opinion about the subject!

• i'm awesome Midway, Ut
    March 24, 2011 9:13 a.m.

Coach North is awesome and he is one of the best coaches in 3A. He going through another trial which he is going to overcome. He'll be fine. And did you know that the kid didn't even report it. A kid was talking about it and one of the teachers overheard him and reported it. So thats saying a lot if the kid didn't even report it. So Y ask Y you need to get the right information.

• Bronz Sunset, Ut
    March 23, 2011 11:13 p.m.

When the video is shown it will show the truth. Not until then will proof come of what 'truly' happened. Its not about the red/black game. Teachers are not paid what they are worth. There are teachers who take things too far and those who keep their cool and take control of a situation instead of having a situation control them! There are always kids who are disrespectful to others. Who knows what it was like for the coach or the student who experienced that day? Anger is what got us here in the first place. No matter what our opinions are we need to remember, we didn't experience it, we need not pretend we 'know' what really went on!

• Jazzguru Provo, UT
    March 22, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Who said I was a jock. What if I happen to like Jazz Music. Looks like you are full of assumptions. Coach did not assault him either. The problem with these comment boards is that no one puts their name on them. The internet is a mask where Joe Cool can sit behind a screen and run his mouth. I put my name on my comment, in the first comment I made. Also, I am not saying coach should not be disciplined, but child abuse? Give me a break. Maybe a suspension, but not anything that would cause him to lose his job or go to jail. What is the world coming to?

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    March 21, 2011 5:37 p.m.

Y of Y Come down off your high horse. You asked earlier "what is this world coming to?" The answer is... two or three generations now of lack of discipline and no respect for authority espoused by people claiming that a philosophy like yours is right. I believe the Proverb "spare the rod and spoil the child" is abundantly and evidently seen to be true by the results of dis-allowing corporal punishment in our American classrooms.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    March 21, 2011 4:08 p.m.

How is a teacher supposed to deal with an out-of-line kid like that? "Stop it! Stop it! If you don't stop it, I'll have to ask you to stop it again! Oh stop it! ... ". Seriously, the kid probably deserved what he got. I'm not saying teachers should start beating students if they get out of line, but in this incident it sounds like the kid crossed the line and the coach's patience finally wore out after all these months of dealing with him.

If this is how everybody raises their kids, this nation is in BIG trouble. Thank goodness there is some responsibility still out there.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 21, 2011 1:50 p.m.

YaskY, such a pathetic grouping of remarks. Lots of us "dumbjocks" now own businesses, are productive members our our communities, and are non-violent. But it sounds like somewhere along the line you weren't asked to be on the team, or were never athletic, that's ok, but you shouldn't judge those that have these abilities. I hope you do positively impact peoples lives, it's just by the tone of your arguments, that would be hard to believe. The video only shows him shoving the kid, which I agree is by definition, against the rules. To my knowledge, he didn't admit any wrongdoing, only said he was sorry it had to go that far. I think those of us who have dealt with unruly teens, know exactly what he is talking about. I don't care if it's a rule or not, sometimes you have to physically restrain an unruly person to be able to get their attention and deal with them. I guess that's why police officers do it huh? It will be dealt with, he'll be exonerated of bogus charges and we can all go back to loving Jimmer!

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    March 21, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Jazz Addict,

Research shows that "dumb jocks" often have difficulty understanding what non-violence looks and feels like. They resort to more violence in their interpersonal relationships than do others (except law enforcement).

I think the real "joke" is somebody such as yourself thinking they can replace and supplant a Judge, the 4th District Court, and the laws of the State.

But we shouldn't be surprised that a "jock" such as yourself doesn't understand nonviolence, and resorts to personal attacks, like the absurd one you leveled against me. Upon what basis could you possibly accuse me of not impacting the lives of many people? If you really knew who I was, I doubt you would make that false judgement.

If the DA did not think there was enough evidence (it was caught on camera), charges would not have been filed. The Coach himself has admitted he did something wrong. Other than that, let the Judge and his Court decide the punishment according to the law.

But neither you nor hundreds of demonstrators alter the principles I have espoused. The Coach needs to be responsible for his actions and accept the consequences.

• xxJazzAddict05xx heber, ut
    March 21, 2011 1:00 p.m.

Y Ask Y,

Your comments are a joke! Coach should be disciplined, no one is arguing that but not charged with abuse. There was no injury, no assault. Period. Trying to receive fairness does not mean he is avoiding consequences. You don't know the people involved so quit attacking an excellent educator who has impacted more lives than you could ever dream of doing yourself

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    March 21, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Jazzguru,

You wrote: "So you have never lost your cool? Ever?"

I "lose my cool" all the time. But I never assault another human being.

If you have a problem with that, but are able to confine your assault and abuse to people who will cover it up for you (such as your family), then I feel sorry for those who have to put up with your abuse.

More importantly, I am not the one being charged with child abuse and assault.

This coach is. They have it on tape. Others have commented that the Coach has expressed remorse for what he did. He must recognize he did something wrong.

This does not mean he is a "bad man". Prisons are filled with people who are not "bad people". But that doesn't mean they didn't break the law at one time or another.

All it takes is one crime to wipe out a good reputation. Trying to excuse that crime, or cover it up, or minimize it in any way, only piles deception on tope of crime and makes matters worse.

If Coach has any integrity, he will face the consequences of his abusive actions. Period. Seriously.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 21, 2011 9:43 a.m.

I made the drive over to Heber this morning to witness the student demonstration. It was an awesome showing of support for the coach. I think most of us now know that this incident was far from the "child abuse" label that was tagged to the story. What troubles me more than anything though, is the fact that I personally know that real verbal abuse is happening almost daily on one of Wasatch's other spring sports teams, yet we aren't hearing about it yet. I believe the players are scared to come forward because they want to play more innings and the coaches wont' play them more if they say anything. I know for a fact that the parents had a special meeting last week to discuss what they would do about it and they decided to wait until after the season to go to the board with their concerns, problem is, when does verbal abuse turn physical? If I knew of one of my kids coaches that was verbally abusing one of my kids, I wouldn't wait for anything, we need to realize that verbal abuse is just that, abuse!

• lcamp Holladay, UT
    March 21, 2011 7:08 a.m.

Its sad to see that our children have so much power that it is completely acceptable for them to be continually disrespectful to teachers. There seem to be no boundaries for rudeness, vulgarity, and basic disrespect for others. Common courtesy is a thing of the past. I am sad to think about the future of our country when there is tolerance and acceptance of disrespect.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    March 20, 2011 11:30 p.m.

Y Ask Y - are you serious?

• Jazzguru Provo, UT
    March 20, 2011 11:13 p.m.

Y ask Y

So you have never lost your cool? Ever? Only when you lost your cool, maybe no one saw. And it certainly did not end up on deseret news. I guarantee everyone of us have done something worse than what Coach North just did. And as I said before I know Coach North, and he is not a bad guy, he does not have anger issues. He made a mistake, that has gotten blown way out of proportion. I know all the details of this story and I know Coach North. These days teachers take all sorts of garbage from students, and risk getting in trouble for looking at a kid wrong. I am surprised teachers continue to be teachers, I know I never would. I don't think I will ever even let my kids have sleepovers when they get older, because if they trip on a stair, or get hurt playing, I'll probably end up on deseret news or getting sued. I am behind Steve North 100%! My prayers are with you coach.

• xxJazzAddict05xx heber, ut
    March 20, 2011 1:01 p.m.

Y ask Y

Coach North is remorseful and regrets his decision and will not try to avoid responsibility but search for a fair consequence.

My problem with this whole situation is that the kid was not injured and I don't believe he would have had any lasting issues if this was resolved in a different way. He wasn't going to be traumatized by this event but now he may be. Coach North may lose his job or go to jail for this incident and that will affect the rest of his life, career and family. Because of the outrage caused, this boy will be hated and disliked by students and unfortunately a community. I feel bad that the boy got caught up in this but a little incident that should have just been handled by the school administration has been blown out of proportion and now everybody loses. Its a shame.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    March 20, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Kids will sometimes be "unruly". That is no excuse for an adult to violate the law. If this coach lacked enough training and self-control that he couldn't be the adult, and behave professionally, then he does not deserve to be a coach or a teacher. We expect more from these "good men" than that.

Violence is not the answer. Short of self-defense, this coach had no business being violent with this student.

If the coach does not take personal responsibility for his bad behavior, and pay the price, suffer the consequences, then he is not the man of character and integrity everyone is claiming him to be. And he is setting a horrible example for the students he claims to be trying to teach.

If adults want children to grow up and be people of integrity, we must set the example.

Coach, I call on you to take responsibility for your actions. Don't try to minimize what you have done, or blame your actions on this "kid", or excuse yourself.

Practice what you preach and take responsibility.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    March 20, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Well, apparently the moderator at DN is ok with me honoring Y ask Y, Bronz, and Stilljustaguy's right to voice their opinion, but I can't voice my opinion as to why I think they are wrong! Or maybe it is because I called this kid a "brat".

I apologize! He is not a "brat" but rather a unguided youth who goes around disrupting class, making it so students who want to learn can't, refusing to adhere to accepted norms of behavior, and not shutting up when asked to by someone in authority!

I apologize! Perhaps I was in the wrong to infere that he was the one who caused this problem in the beginning. I should never have inferred that if he had been tought how to behave properly, this problem would never have reared its ugly head.

I apologize! Even though I did not use abusive, offensive language, was on-topic, did not misrepresent and did not use escessive caps--apparently I did not play nice enough with the people involved and was not politically corrent in what I said. The facts, though, speak for themselves, the kid was in the wrong!

• TruthBTold SLC, UT
    March 20, 2011 9:40 a.m.

To ALL the Bloggers who support this kid (or anti-Coach North), do you read any of the previous blogs before you post?

I find it refreshing that there are so many who are in support of Coach North and realize that the instigator of this incident was an unruly, misbehaved, classic example of a teenager out-of-control.

Where is your harsh judgement on the student? Don't tell me this kid didn't know what he was doing, or he's "just a kid", or he just "did what every teenager does"... that's bull. This teenager walked in with ANOTHER chip on his shoulder, looking for attention because he KNEW he could get under a teacher's skin, and there was nothing his absent parent, school or anyone else was willing to do anything about.

I UNDERSTAND completely, I have put 4 sons through High School, at both ends of the spectrum (Honors Grad to Drop-Out) and unfortunately 1 of them BEHAVED JUST LIKE THIS KID. He ended up being a HS drop-out who cared less about what impact he left in his wake. This kid doesn't care and should be disciplined.

Support CoachNorth!

• Andersonsue Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2011 9:28 a.m.

The unions in Utah are not like the unions in California. The UEA works for the principal and the state. He needs an attorney, and a good one.

• Bronz Sunset, Ut
    March 20, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Abuse is the improper usage or treatment for a bad purpose, often to unfairly or improperly gain benefit, physical or verbal maltreatment, injury, sexual assault, violation, rape, unjust practices; wrongful practice or custom; offense; crime, or otherwise verbal aggression.[1] Abuse can come in many forms.

I have been teaching in a class room with disrespectful children. In no way is ANY physical contact allowed to discipline in a school. Old school or not, (which I am), does a educated proffessional have the right to take the matters into their own hands, no! If the kid was so disrespectful as claims have been made then why didn't the teach throw him out of class to the Principles office and the kid suspended? Because there is more to the story, that's why!

If the coach had made a proper call, 'if' the student was out of control then this situation would not be an issue right now. In society, you can't look the other way and say the student 'got what he deserved,' if we do, we open the door to 'abuse' of all kinds by others in authority!

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    March 20, 2011 8:21 a.m.

sounds like the kid got what was coming to him? Just as the bully on the youtube vidio that is sweeping the country now. I have no clue what caused the situation in Utah but I do know the frustration of trying to deal with disruptive kids and not really being able to do anything about it because of sue happy people. Sounds like the kid was well on his way to being a pain in the publics behind in the court system. Maybe the coach saved the kid and county some expense later on.

• Wyomex Burlington, WY
    March 20, 2011 5:39 a.m.

"Daddy, what is abuse?" my daughter asked on coming home from school after a discussion on the subject.

I responded "Abuse is when you are not disciplined when you should be." And, being from the old school, I reminded her that if she got in trouble at school, she was in trouble at home.

Parents, educators and society are "abused" by undisciplined children, students and citizens when appropriate discipline (self and societal) are not taught and understood at an early age. Service (not "serve us") to others is a great antidote for this lack of discipline.

School district officials: please think of and give your poor abused teachers/coaches more opportunities to allow abusive students to engage in meaningful service. Society will then benefit when these kids are adults.

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    March 19, 2011 9:33 p.m.

He needs to fight this. There needs to be a jury trial. As one of his peers who believes that America would be a drastically better place if teachers could once again physically discipline disruptive students, I would vote for acquittal.

• Bronz Sunset, Ut
    March 19, 2011 9:13 p.m.

I am very dissapointed to hear the judgements towards the parents of this student! There are so many facets to a story. Even the best of parents have had issues with their children. We don't know the 'full' story behind the family, even if you know them personally, we have NO right to judge them as parents. Those of you without sin throw the first stone! There would not be a charge of A class Misdemeanor if there wasn't evidence behind it. Knowing the small community of Heber the district attorney was probably trying to appease both sides. Mr. North would not have been charged with a serious charge 'unless' it was warranted!

• stilljustaguy Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 19, 2011 9:12 p.m.

In a position of authority and trust, teachers, clergy, etc., attacking a minor regardless of provocation is child abuse. It's not the parents that are to blame in this circumstance, the coach lost control. According to my sources, there is surveilance video which corrobarates the allegations of the student, otherwise the coach would not have been charged with child abuse. Think about it. The teacher has been suspended; the district does not take this lightly and would not go to this length if there wasn't truth to the allegations from the minor student. It's fine to support the coach, but to go the lengths of accusing the parents is ludicrous and shows just how biased people are and how willing they are to turn a blind eye to blatant child abuse.

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    March 19, 2011 4:29 p.m.

The lack of student discipline in school is THE major reason why education is suffering. The decline of education began in the 70's when the ACLU said that children have the same status as adults, thus emasculating the teachers and taking away their authority (and ability) to teach. Disruptive students ruin the learning atmosphere of a classroom suck energy and interest out of a class.

Another problem is that our weak-willed principals don't have the guts to back good teachers, and so we lose the good ones we have and deter those who would like to get into the profession.

Let the parents home-school their child for a while or put him into a different class and give Coach North a commendation.

• Goet Ogden, UT
    March 19, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Carolyn:

It would be nice to have your idealistic situation, however many public school teachers don't have administrative support. Send a bad kid to the office and they're back in your room within minutes with a grin (and a candy).

Many of us have resorted to doing our own discipline above and beyond the usual. We give hallway "detention" because heaven forbid we keep kids after school and make parents pick them up. We punish them in many other ways that, if someone pushes the whine-button, would be discouraged and banned by admin.

Yet, they nary lift a finger to support classroom teachers. Why should they?

• xxJazzAddict05xx heber, ut
    March 19, 2011 2:32 p.m.

Y ask Y,

Have you spoken with students that were there? I have and this is not abuse. It was uncalled for and we are not condoning Coach's actions, but to be charged is uncalled for. Everyone knows that this kid was causing problems and he apologized after. So don't cast judgment on the community or this coach when you don't know what happened. What is this world coming to when kids that receive no teaching or discipline at home disrupt class and then cause a good man gets arrested for no real reason?! I'm worried about this world too but knowing this coach, he is not one we should be worrying about!

• one old man Ogden, UT
    March 19, 2011 1:38 p.m.

When this boy is finally arrested and tossed in jail, who will his Mommy cry to then?

We need more parents like the mother of the 6th grader I caught peeing in the restroom sink. She dragged him back to school every day for a week and he had to clean all the restrooms in the building -- with supplies he purchased with his own money.

The restrooms sparkled. And I'll bet he was much better behaved throughout the remainder of his school career.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    March 19, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Unbelievable that so many would justify violence against a student.

What is this world coming to?

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    March 19, 2011 11:59 a.m.

The concern I have is for the student in question. As an adolescent, he obviously hasn't learned what he needs to in order to survive in this world. Most likely he will follow a life filled with shameless acts, unless a caring individual(s) intercedes. Perhaps his parents haven't been able to reach him. If they've neglected him, and are trying to get at the teacher out of embarrassment, then they need help as well. I have no idea what the circumstances are with the parent/kid relationship. I know it happens to the best of parents.

However, this kid needs discipline! He could be kicked out of school, but then what? The parents can't help him apparently, and he is left to do whatever he wants. He finds a group of kids that are like minded or becomes a loner and begins an unproductive life of laziness and possibly crime. He soon realizes that his life is full of regret and shame. I believe the coach did what he thought was the only way he could get his attention...

I am truly grateful for discipline in my life by teachers and my parents!

• Carolyn Sharette Sandy, UT
    March 19, 2011 10:56 a.m.

Charter schools are under the same rules as public schools, so we experience the very same challenges.

At our schools (American Prep), if a student disrupts the class, and does not stop after a verbal reminder, the student is dismissed from the class. The student is not allowed back into class that day and after meeting with the student and confirming the story with the teacher, a parent intervention is the next step, meaning that a parent (or someone they designate - can be an aunt, uncle, grandparent, older sibling) must attend that class with the student for one day before the student can return to class on their own. This is to provide extra coaching to the student on how to conduct themselves in class.

This works really well for us and in most cases fixes the behavior for that student and prevents it in others.

If teachers are not ENCOURAGED to remove a student from a class who is disruptive, they won't because it is looked upon by most schools as a teaching failure to send a student out. Schools should have a policy that prohibits disruption by students so teachers can be free to teach.

• rogerdodger Logan, UT
    March 19, 2011 9:26 a.m.

I am a Wasatch High grad and have known Coach North during my high school years as well as after, which has been a while. I would trust Coach North with my boy and hope that if my kid was acting out that he would put my boy in his place. Its quite sad that these dead beat parents are to lazy to do their job as parents and it falls to teachers and whoever else encounters these kids for them to get their discipline from.

My father was a teacher in the Wasatch School District for over thirty years and I have a ton of respect for teachers and what they have to put up with. My hope is that Wasatch County and the school board will do the right thing and support their teacher, Mr Steve North.

• katy salt lake city, ut
    March 19, 2011 9:06 a.m.

The person the mother is hurting most is her own son!!

• link Midway, UT
    March 19, 2011 8:57 a.m.

I agree with a earlier post WE need to get out and put on paper those who support Steve North not only parents but the kids also, this could end in a disaster for Coach North and the parents of this kid could care less because their lives are not what Steve has. I really hope that everyone can come together and save his job, pension, and give him the respect he has worked hard for, Steve is a great man and would do anything for anyone I can't imagine the crap he has to put up with everyday and finally one kid gets to him and he is the one who pays for it, its really sad that teachers have to put up with so much for the pay they earn and the parents have no appreciation for what most of the teachers do!

• prayers Heber City, Utah
    March 18, 2011 10:37 p.m.

My understanding is that this young man is 17 years old. If he committed a serious crime the county attorney would be working to try him as an adult. Why then is the county attorney calling this child abuse when in reality this young man should be responsible for his actions as an adult?

Coach North you and your family are in our prayers.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    March 18, 2011 10:22 p.m.

This is where the teachers Unions come into play to help this teacher. Maybe some of you anti union people need to remember that teachers get a raw deal in this state. Terrible funding, bad pay and your kids being disrespectful.

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    March 18, 2011 10:06 p.m.

@Doctor Guess what. This is not YOUR COACH! A different person, many years of teaching with this single incident and will probably never be another. Grow up, quit projecting, quit trying to make it something you think it might be or want to believe it is though you know nothing about it!!! Y ask Y, why do you assume this coach has an anger problem, because this is one incident in twenty some years of teaching? Why do you people have to come on here and judge and assume and categorize a situation as you think it might be even though you don't know the people from Adam and really have no idea what the situation is! Unbelievable, really... unbelievable!

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    March 18, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Welcome to the world of teachers! My son, who teaches in Milwaukee, witnessed a student hit a teacher with a lunch tray and then an hour later that same student was back in my son's classroom again. (Budget cuts "forced" the school board to eliminate detention, but my son, who also coaches 2 sports, is free to create some sort of discipline system, on his own time.) Gone is the support of parents. Gone is the back-up from administration. In it's place are outcome-based sanctions against teachers to guarantee that no child will be left behind. Kids know that the system puts them in the driver's seat. The cherry on top is all of you who regularly post attacks that teachers are lazy, over-paid, unionized whiners. Who in their right mind would do this job for the pittance of pay and lack of respect?

If all of you truly believe in this man, then back him up. Help raise money for his defense. Show up to board meetings. Show both students and parents that your community expects more for the privilege of the education your taxes & votes provide. Do something.

• David R. SLC, Utah
    March 18, 2011 9:44 p.m.

@ Charles History

Private schools aren't getting a dime from the legislature, the state, or any other public means.

Charter Schools ARE public schools. They are regulated by the state.

Don't turn this into an anti-private school story.

Private schools are self operating.

• Hebergirl Heber, utah
    March 18, 2011 9:41 p.m.

I have had the privilege of knowing Steve North well and he is an honorable, wonderful man in all aspects of his life. I have substituted his classes and he is a VERY tolerant man to say the least. It is obvious to me, and to all who know Coach North that the problem does not lie with him. I feel so bad that his good name is being tarnished by an incident taken out of context. The mom of the child should be ashamed of herself and know that because she refuses to teach her child, other people are paying the price. Where is the parents' accountability in this? The newly elected county attorney should be ashamed as well. Let's prosecute an actual criminal.

• xxJazzAddict05xx heber, ut
    March 18, 2011 9:14 p.m.

I was taught and coached by Steve North and he is a great man! I am losing faith in society. This whole situation is outrageous. If he just kicks the kid out of class the boys mothers complains. If he doesn't then half of the class is wasted. The students and their parents have to much power. Coach made a mistake but abuse! The county prosecutor should be ashamed! Your community supports you and your family Coach North! Thanks for everything you taught me and thousands of other students!

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    March 18, 2011 8:35 p.m.

I see nothing wrong with the coach and his reaction good luck coach and keep up the good work . and in the mean time maybe the parents can spend some time with their child and teach him some manners

• shuttdlrl Smith River, CA
    March 18, 2011 8:35 p.m.

We need to teach our children to repect and obey their teachers. We are paying for their schooling and they need to show appreciation. It is not easy to be a teacher or a parent and we all know how disobedience can wear one down. Our schools need to address this issue to protect the teacher and the students. Classes are getting to large, students unruly, and teachers need more help from the school boards.
    shuttdlrl

• taking5 great outdoors, UT
    March 18, 2011 8:19 p.m.

I am offended that a student in a school that depends on my tax dollars to function is allowed to continually disrupt the teaching of other students. Throw his sorry butt out of school and let his parents deal with the problem they have created. He shouldn't be allowed to keep others from learning.

• Charles History Tooele, UT
    March 18, 2011 7:58 p.m.

Our legislature has done this to our schools.
    The legislature takes money away from the public schools and gives it to the private and charter schools.
    The legislature keeps saying that public schools are bad and private and charter schools are good.

Public schools can not kick out the bad kids because of legislature rules. The public schools can not properly discipline because of legislature rules.

The coach/teacher has to deal with more and more students. He needs to deal with low funding for his programs. He needs to deal with a school system that has students in his classroom that do not want to be there and will be unruly. He can not discipline them he might get in trouble if he yells at them.

So a teacher deals with a large class load and with no funding. He deserves a medal, what do we give him? We charge him and the legislature will pass 100 bills that are against him and his profession.

Why do I want my children in private or charter schools? The legislature gives us more money and the bad kids can not go to them.

• bluekirty Fairfield, CA
    March 18, 2011 7:26 p.m.

We are WAY too soft of a country. Goodbye sweet America

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    March 18, 2011 7:00 p.m.

I say there needs to be a "child abuse" charge filed against the parents for not teaching their child manners and respect! And we wonder why society is going south...duh!

• ako Oxon Hill, MD
    March 18, 2011 6:48 p.m.

I would as soon believe Steve North abused a kid as I would believe Barack Obama won the election in Utah...

• Sarah B SLC, UT
    March 18, 2011 6:03 p.m.

How does this qualify as child abuse? The student wasn't injured. One of my kids (who was NOT a problem child) was shoved against the wall by a teacher who was going through a very rough time in his personal life. He came to us in tears asking not to press charges as it would ruin his career and negatively impact his wife and kids. We did not b/c our son wasn't hurt. We only requested that he get anger management treatment so no innocent kid was hurt. This is overkill, especially since the kid is a problem child.

• Doctor Tucson, AZ
    March 18, 2011 5:31 p.m.

TJ-I admired and respected my coach. But he could be a mean dude. With all due respect.

• sportguru kamas, utah
    March 18, 2011 5:25 p.m.

child abuse... HARDLY.....this is ridiculous. I can not beleive the parents no days. I have 7 kids of my own, and I would hope the teachers would care enough to keep them in line. Parents need to teach kids to respect authority. Coach North, hold your head high.. this kid is obviously a waste. I sure hope the school board or those involved in making a decision will be in favor of Coach North

• VocalLocal Bountiful, UT
    March 18, 2011 5:10 p.m.

This Coach deserves a break. It sounds like this teen was out of line and while the Coach may deserve some reprimand for losing his temper I think anyone in a similar circumstance would have been pushed close to the limit. The reaction of the coach from the description given was excessive but not that severe. While there are some things we can't tolerate among our teachers I think our teachers put up with enough crap to deserve a break when they make a minor mistake like this one.
    One other thing the article title should clearly state the accused abuse is physical-sadly that is the assumption when a teacher is accused of abuse anymore and it would be good to make that distinction from the get-go.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    March 18, 2011 5:10 p.m.

I don't know how we are able to continue to keep anyone in the teaching and law enforcement professions of this nation. We should be grateful for every person willing to put up with the threats and constant provocations coming from those they are hired to watch over -- in many cases, children and wild teens, who have no sense of proper behavior or sense of decency; who look for an opportunity to complain about & sue those who are placed in the unfortunate position of having to put up with them, to keep thier job. Some are just lying in wait to take pot shots at these public servants.

Many have left the teaching & coaching professions, because they felt robbed of the ability to maintain discipline. When it comes to teachers or law enforcement officers, they both run the risk of litigation by the real offenders, waiting to find something they can file suit for. They face this for merely doing their job.

Words can't express how grateful I am, that there are noble individuals willing to put themselves at risk to help the rest of us: especially our children.

• A real Cowboy Tooele, Utah
    March 18, 2011 5:08 p.m.

The is the problem with today's students. The coach did nothing wrong the student needs to be kicked out of school.

• kmh Junction, Utah
    March 18, 2011 4:57 p.m.

The kids parents should be arrested for raising a kid like that!!! The school needs to stand up to those who disrupt classes so it is hard for the kids who want to learn. When I went to high school the coaches had "swat" boards and you behaved or else.

• Jazzguru Provo, UT
    March 18, 2011 4:49 p.m.

I had Coach North as a teacher and a basketball coach, and I know him well enough to take his back on this. Hey Coach, know that Robbie Farr has your back. And Coach North does not have anger issues.... That is an assumption made (Y ask Y) and I can see why you would think that.... But that is simply not right. Good luck Coach! Hopefully everyone involved learns from this and it does not affect anyone negatively moving forward.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    March 18, 2011 4:44 p.m.

I guess my first comment was rejected because it might hurt someone's feelings! I didn't call anyone nasty names or swear or anything like that---I just told it like it is!!!

I will try to be "really nice" in my comments so the editorial staff doesn't get all bent out of shape.

What was the county attorney thinking to file a criminal charge against the coach. He is elected because he is supposed to have common sense. He should have vetted the complaint and then let the school handle it--not cave in to an angry parent.

Apparently this young person has not been taught properly in the home---or else he would not have been constantly disruptive and disrespectful in the class. I would humbly propose that if the parent(s) don't like the way their child was treated by the teacher, perhaps they should home school him until he learns to respect others.

I guess I come from the old school, but if and when my kids got disciplined in school, it was much more severe when they got home!

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 18, 2011 4:31 p.m.

There's a bit of forgotten wisdom in the old lyric,

"School days, school days
    Dear old golden rule days
    Readin' and 'ritin' and 'rithmetic
    Taught to the tune of the hickory stick"

For all our advances, the old "hickory stick" got the job done.

• Conservative Cedar City, UT
    March 18, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Coach North is a fine man. And I understand the boy appologized shortly after the incident.

The school initiated the investigation.

Pointing the finger at either Coach North or the student is not right. The school policies and legal requirements are carrying this case, not the Coach or the student.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    March 18, 2011 3:51 p.m.

Another football coach with anger issues.

Imagine that.

• sg newhall, CA
    March 18, 2011 3:47 p.m.

I believe the coach should counter sue the parents for poor parenting and raising a child with a disruptive behavior who has no respect for authority. I don't think the coach did anything wrong. Yes, even a teacher of 20 yrs has his breaking point. And if the student was cool about the teacher's reaction, then the incident should have remained in class. This mother is an idiot. She is out to ruin a life.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 18, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Ridiculous! Kick this kid out of this school and make him attend one for people like him. Give the coach / teacher a commendation and a raise.
    I am a bog proponent of 3 strikes. If the kid is dis-respectful kick him out of your class. If he gets kicked out of class 3 times, suspend him for a week. If he gets suspended 3 times, kick him out of that school, or all schools.

• TB Heber Heber City, ut
    March 18, 2011 3:38 p.m.

All due respect Doctor you have know idea who Steve North is

• Long Hair Pete West Jordan, UT
    March 18, 2011 3:34 p.m.

Sounds like the coach is a straight-up guy who is well-respected in his community. Unfortunately, he crossed the line when he touched the unruly student. He let his anger take control of his actions. Yes, the kid needs to be disciplined, but there are other ways to do it. Back when I was a kid we would get paddled, but these are not the old days. I can understand and empathize with the people who say that the kid had it coming. He sounds like a punk deserving of detention. Also,the coach does not deserve a criminal charge for his understandable lapse of good judgment. A written warning would suffice along with the school district mandating training for all their teachers. Sometimes good people make poor choices when they are flustered.

• Doctor Tucson, AZ
    March 18, 2011 3:30 p.m.

I had a couple abusive coaches growing up. Problem is if he'll throw/push a student up against a wall, where will he stop? My coach threw a kid into a fence.

• TB Heber Heber City, ut
    March 18, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Coach North knows what he did was wrong but schools need to figure out what to do with kids like this one who just want to cause trouble (start at home) Like oldgoat said check out his police record. I know that coach has had trouble with this kid in class before. QUESTION: Has the kid been suspended for his actions?? Good luck Coach we support you 100% because i know the kid and his history.

• BamaFan Spanish Fork, UT
    March 18, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Let me start this by saying that I think Steve North is a solid football coach, teacher and good guy. However, as I have said every time we have this situation; as an educator, responsible for instructing and teaching students who are mostly minors, you are not allowed to put your hands them. It is not in his job description to physically pursue a minor. I am sure this kid probably was a punk and problematic but it is not coach North's responsibility to physically discipline him. Child abuse charges? Not warranted! But the school and the district should document the situation and come up with a punishment that addresses the seriousness of the issue but doesn't dismiss what this guy has done for the school and the community.

I would continue to caution these educators..Don't let an emotional situation lead to a detrimental action which puts your job, career and reputation in jeopardy.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 18, 2011 3:07 p.m.

@patriot, True dat! I've heard that Coach North was very remorseful after the fact. But, come on, if you can tell me you've never been pushed over the edge by a teenager, then you obviously have none!I'm not saying it's ok to act on it, but I think we've all been there. The kid was trying to push him, it wasn't just a one time outburst, it was continuous. I agree, he shouldn't have pushed the student. But call a spade a spade! This is not child abuse as we know it. I don't care how it's written in the law books, sometimes there has to be a better definition. The kid wasn't injured, he actually apologized after the incident. There were many other students who witnessed it and all that I know, said it was taken out of context. It's sad that one very minor incident holds his whole future in it's grasp.
    p.s. the "her" in my last post I was referring to was my mother, God rest her soul!

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 18, 2011 2:53 p.m.

WOW! I heard a coach at Wasatch had gotten into trouble with the kids. I was certain I knew who it was, only I was wrong! I agree with the posters, kids get away with way too much now days. I'll wait to judge until I know the whole story, which because I grew up there, will be in about 15 minutes! (lots of contacts) I only hope there isn't another story coming soon. I personally know another team (not soccer or track) at Wasatch that has coaches who are verbally abusive (I've heard it straight from the horses mouth)to the team to the point of tears on some occassions. I would never let my child play for a coach that did that. Sometimes it's about more than winning and losing parents! I have heard that these types of situations start with verbal abuse and then turn physical, I hope the parents on the other team will be dilgent and watchful this season.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 18, 2011 2:46 p.m.

you can't touch a student ..period. Yes the laws are totally in favor of the student but the coach knew that so there is no excuse.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 18, 2011 2:36 p.m.

@uw73, Amen brother! Those of us who did grow up here remember Coach Kelly in Middle School. You always stayed in line, because if you didn't, you would get the famous "Kelly boom". I also had a fifth grade teacher who had a stick that he would rap you an the behind with if you got out of line. One day I went home crying and told her Mr. D hit me with the stick, she smacked me on the top of the head and when I asked her why, she said, "because if Mr. D hit you, you must have been out of line" I never got in trouble in that class again! Parents who aren't as involved in their childs education anymore, rarely know the whole about what goes on day to day, they only hear when/if a teacher yells at them. I would love to see the student/teacher ratio of who is at fault more often. Probably about 100/1. Good luck Coach North!

• uw73 Midway, UT
    March 18, 2011 2:18 p.m.

This is what happens when you give all the power to the students/parents. I believe we need to give some power back to the Teachers. These kids know that they can say and do whatever they want and when someone fires back they run home to mommy and she calls the school and throws a fit. Then in a few years when these kids are 30 and unemployed still living at home with mommy she blames the school for not teaching her son better. Wake up people sometimes your kid did something wrong it not always the Coaches/Teachers fault. I don't know the details of the story but I do know Coach North and he is a good man caught up in a mess caused by this generation of kids/parents who think that the world owes them something and that nobody should ever raise their voice or give them a swift kick in the butt.

• oldgoat Midway, UT
    March 18, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Hey "Somewhere" that is a good idea. (-: Maybe we as a community can sue the parents of this "child" for failing their responsibilities to parent and for wasting our tax dollars suing a coach when they should be letting their "child" finally meet some consequences instead of protecting him from them. With parents like this it helps one understand why their child has problems.

• CDog Somewhere, UT
    March 18, 2011 1:56 p.m.

So upset with this story I had better not comment.
    I support Coach North and know that he does what is best for students 100% of the time. I wish I lived in Wasatch County for many reasons:
    1. so I could have my sons instructed by him inside and outside the classroom
    2. so I could voice my support for Coach North
    3. so I could clue in these unreasonable parents
    4. so I could show up to any meetings with my support
    5. on and on
    Coach needs to sue for slander and whatever else he can. Have to get a grip on this.

• Wasp utah County, UT
    March 18, 2011 1:49 p.m.

I agree with the above comments- there is a lot more to the story. Good luck Coach North- we'll be pulling for you!!

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    March 18, 2011 1:48 p.m.

i was in high school not too long ago and i've seen the kinds of classroom behavior that sparks one of these incidents. i have no idea what happened so i'll reserve judgement, but if it turns out that the coach just flung a roll of athletic tape at a student who was persistently pushing the envelope then the parents (if they're even involved at all) need to lighten up and put some clamps down on their kid.

the district will take appropriate action and the coach will be reprimanded, but most times it's the kid or a group of kids that are almost always instigators. i'm not condoning what the coach did at all, but unless these "physical injuries" were sustained by the coach flat out beating, pushing, or throwing the kid around as opposed to just grabbing him by the arm and dragging him out of class then i see no reason why he'd lose a job over it.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 18, 2011 1:19 p.m.

Whoa folks! I know many people are going to start freaking out about this right away. This headline is Hyperbole! I have students at Wasatch and have been following this since last week. Trust me, it's not what it seems. It's just one of those deals where a line was crossed and since now days there is no gray area, legally they had to do something to appease the parents of the child and those who were calling for his head. Most of us remember the days when we were growing up, and the P.E. coach would be rough or whatever, that is all that happened here. A student got out of line (really badly) and the coach tried to get him to conform until he lost his cool. Ya, he crossed a line, but to call it "child abuse" is riduculous!!! I actually miss those days when teachers/coaches could discipline students. I know when we were out of line, we were going to get put back in place quickly. Now days little Johnny and Susie know that they can get away with anything because Mommy and Daddy will sue for them! very sad!

• oldgoat Midway, UT
    March 18, 2011 1:08 p.m.

It is usually in the best interest of a journalist to find out both sides of the issue. The other side of the story is well worth looking into.
    --The kid's police record
    --what the poor baby said
    --what the rest of the boys in the class said about the incident
    --how his parents can't control him so keep passing him back and forth
    --how there was no injury
    --how it was an accident
    --how the "child" didn't mind until his mommy heard about it and she screamed child abuse
    Coach North coached/taught 2 of my boys and did a GREAT job. I haven't talked to him about this but the boys in that class told the story to my kids. They ALL had the same story supporting Coach North.