Utah

Evangelical leaders in Utah; will meet with an LDS leader

Comments

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    July 24, 2011 11:08 p.m.

Serenity: I attended a showing of The God Makers. After the film the minister went up to his pulpit and said some more lies about the Mormons. Then he asked if there were any questions. I raised my hand and said that I was disturbed that people who call themselves Christian would be involved in something so distorted and unchristian as this film was. I didn't know that I was the only Mormon in the room but there was a real uproar and shouting at me. The minister quieted them down and then asked me what I didn't agree with so I started to explain some of the unfair distortions and outright lies. The people respectfully listened. But when the minister saw that I was making sense and that his film was being exposed for what it really was, he came down from his pulpit, livid with rage he shook his Bible in my face and screamed at me to leave. I left. Personally, I think that anyone that believes anti Mormon literature must have received a very poor education.

• OLD-GUY Central Utah, UT
    March 13, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Having been raised in the south and having friends from a variety of faiths, we got along well and even talked about our faithsand we were able to get along (and still do with many old friends). One said that he had heard that Mormons had horns and asked if he could feel mine. We joked about it and he told me he knew I didn't have horns.

We still have different beliefs but we love and respect each other as individuals. There are those who I would trust with my life sooner than I would some of my neighbors here. Most of my neighbors are great people too.

If we can master the ability to get along with our family, or neighbors, those in our community, those in our State, those of other religious or political views, I think it will be a better world. That doesn't say we whave to agree with everything, but it does mean to treat each other with respect & to be civil. We won't have to worry about being stabbed in the back.

There are great people everwhere - we should work together to accomplish goo things together.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    March 13, 2011 9:19 a.m.

The sum of the total seems to indicate that organized religions are more about money and politics than God and love of ones neigbor. Corporate churches should be taxed the same as other corporations and stayed from public government involvment.

• Sego Lilly Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2011 3:41 p.m.

In a nutshell - If a person asks what a Mormon/LDS believes give them a pass along card with the 12 Articles of Faith on it. Any questions after that they can ask.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    March 11, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Of course there is diffrences in doctrine with people not of the faith. If they were the same why would there be reason to join the LDS Church. We have something better to offer.

No one is asked to forfeit the truths they learned in other churches. Do have things other churches don't. Otherwise no reason to do missionary work. Will pray with anyone willing to pray and help in community betterment.

NO reason to find similarities when we want not antagonists but converts.

• Jaime Lee Bonberger Houston, TX
    March 11, 2011 4:16 p.m.

brokenclay: There is a logical fallacy threading its way through these comments.

Me: I think your post at 11:20am follow that trend as well.

brokenclay: ..Mormon salvation is a works-based righteousness. They believe in baptismal regeneration, rather than justification by faith.

Me: You don't understand Mormon salvation then. Nobody can be saved without faith in Jesus Christ.

brokenclay: Evangelical thought is starting to make in-roads into the LDS Church

Me: Care to provide a few examples?

brokenclay: The best LDS scholarship don't (sic) match even mediocre evangelical scholarship

Me: Evangelicals Carl Mosser and Paul Owen, authors of "Mormon Scholarship, Apologetics, and Evangelical Neglect: Losing the Battle and Not Knowing It", would disagree with you. One quote from their paper: "Our fourth conclusion is that at the academic level evangelicals are losing the debate with the Mormons. We are losing the battle and do not know it. In recent years the sophistication and erudition of LDS apologetics has risen considerably while evangelical responses have not". You may be one of those evangelicals who "does not know it".

Cheers.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    March 11, 2011 11:29 a.m.

If faith's are willing to put aside theological differences in order to consolidate efforts to promote political agenda's - aren't they just becoming political machines? If so, perhaps the wealth accumulating organizations behind the various CEO's ought to become taxable entities. It stands to reason that if they want to promote the conservative agenda, and they are willing to consolidate a base, they no longer need the tax base for feeding the poor. I mean, if CEO's of religion are gathering (wage earners) and not for the purpose of setting up a charity, should their activities still be seen as exemptions?

I don't think so - but of course, all religion will have say is that they are politicizing over "moral" issues, and they'll get a pass. From their, just spin all political issues as moral issues, and there you go.

• Alberta Reader magrath, ab
    March 11, 2011 12:06 a.m.

Brokenclay
    give me a break you and Donn sound like broken records reapating the same tired arguments
    There is one and only one Jeusu that lived on this earth
    I guess we both beleive in the same Jesus then

• sharrona layton, Ut
    March 10, 2011 9:56 p.m.

Jantet,said contention is not of the Lord."But,
    Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly CONTEND for the faith which was 'once delivered' unto the saints.(Jude 3)

• diamondladi Gambrills, MD
    March 10, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Janet- you are so right. I remember an Ensign article a number of years ago that said where you end up after this life doesn't depend as much on where your church membership is, as where your heart is.
    And Brokenclay- Hugh Nibley, Mormon scholarship at its finest. And secondly, one of the reasons you don't see Mormon's going toe to toe with Evangelicals isn't because they can't, its because they won't. Just as Janet said, contention isn't of the Lord, so we are counseled not to argue about religion. After all- a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    March 10, 2011 7:09 p.m.

Remember that fictional tale of the three men who have an afterlife interview? Each goes in separately, and the interviewer asks them to tell him about Jesus. Each of the first two gives a short doctrinal dissertation, but the third comes in and falls at the interviewer's feet, recognizing Him immediately. I know there are LDS, evangelicals, Catholics, and many others who will know Him when they meet Him, and there are LDS, evangelicals, Catholics, and many others who wouldn't recognize Him. Anyone can feel and reflect Christ's love; anyone can be ignorant and stiffnecked and cause hurt and contention. Contention is not of the Lord.

• Belching Cow Sandy, UT
    March 10, 2011 3:25 p.m.

@brokenclay
    "There are major LDS leaders who are rethinking the truth of Mormonism because of this."
    Like who?

"The best LDS scholarship don't match even mediocre evangelical scholarship."
    That's a good one.

I'm LDS and I believe in the same Jesus that is on the New Testament. I didn't know there was another.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    March 10, 2011 1:08 p.m.

re: RanchHand | 6:44 a.m. March 10, 2011

Very observant and spot on.

re: RanchHand | 6:52 a.m. March 10, 2011

I can't recall the exact quote. But, it goes something like, "Religion is what to believe and morals are what to do."

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    March 10, 2011 12:29 p.m.

To brokenclay: Your comments are wrong. The Church's leadership is stronger now than it has ever been. The First Presidency and Quroum of the Twelve are united in all they do. You really should listen to them when they speak at General Conference or at many of the Devotionals. They are united in thought and mind. Even the Quroums of the Seventy are united with the 15 men who constitute the First Presidency and Quroum of the Twelve. To say otherwise as you have is totally misleading and wrong.

The thing is that the Jesus that the LDS Church teaches is the same as the mainline Christian churches teach. The problem is many of the critics fail to understand this. The only person on earth who has the right to speak for the LDS Church as a whole is Thomas S Monson. This has never changed nor is it even considered to be wrong.

You cite information without giving sources so that means it is a secondary source that probably has no knowledge of it. The Leader that will probably meet with the other denominations will be a member of the First Presidency or the Twelve or both.

• cerana Littleton, CO
    March 10, 2011 12:07 p.m.

brokenclay, seriously? My Jesus is different from your Jesus? What an arrogant comment! YOu know who can best answer that do you? Ask Jesus! Why are you speaking for Jesus? Did he give you the permission or authority to speak for him and who he is?

• brokenclay Scottsdale, AZ
    March 10, 2011 11:20 a.m.

There is a logical fallacy threading its way through these comments. Just because both evangelicals and Mormons say they follow a figure who has the name Jesus Christ doesn't mean it's the same person. My Jesus is fundamentally different from the Mormon Jesus; to say they are the same is to misrepresent my beliefs. The bottom line is that Mormons are polytheists (they worship more than one god) and orthodox Christians are strict monotheists. In this sense, we are more alike to Muslims than Mormons.

The next fundamental difference is that Mormon salvation is a works-based righteousness. They believe in baptismal regeneration, rather than justification by faith. These are core doctrines, not peripheral.

The NAE is reaching out to Mormons not in order to recognize that they are legitimate Christians, but in order to gain opportunity to share our Christ with them. Evangelical thought is starting to make in-roads into the LDS Church. There are major LDS leaders who are rethinking the truth of Mormonism because of this. Orthodox Christianity is much more intellectually coherent and defensible. The best LDS scholarship don't match even mediocre evangelical scholarship. This is not without effect.

• Gary Moore Bountiful, UT
    March 10, 2011 8:48 a.m.

To: Gentile | 7:00 a.m. March 9, 2011

What you consider core to the Mormon faith, and what Mormons consider core to the Mormon faith, are apparently very different.

The true core of Mormonism is Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. Temple ordinances do not come into relevance until after our Savior Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice are firmly established as the cornerstone of the new convert's spiritual foundation.

• donn layton, Ut
    March 10, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Iggle:Is this anti democrat? Catholics commonly make a sacrifice or give something up during Lent. What if we decided to extend our Lenten sacrifice until abortion ends? What if we never ate another candy bar or drank another Coke until abortion ends in America?
    This is an issue Mormons should agree with Christians,(RCC,Protestants,Orthodox.)

• Serenity Manti, UT
    March 10, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Oh this is a very touchy subject. A few years ago, my daughter asked me if she could attend another church with her friend one Sunday. I told her yes, and that I would drop her off. When, we got there a few minutes late, my daughter asked me to walk in with her because she didn't know if she could find her friend. The church was filled to capacity so we stayed in the back. They were playing a movie. I was horrified at the content of that movie "The God makers" which was full of lies, prejudice, and misrepresentation of the LDS Church. It seems on that Sunday every church in all the towns within a huge area was showing that movie. After that Sunday, you could feel the animosity against the LDS faith. It was as if the air were thick with hate. Our missionaries were threatened and had to be pulled out of this area. At work, the next day, people looked at me like I had two heads. I still don't understand why this package of lies and hate was sanctioned or presented.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    March 10, 2011 6:52 a.m.

MoJules | 10:50 p.m. March 8, 2011
    Florissant, MO

--------------

MoJules;

What an absolutely arrogant comment.

As a gay man, my morals are every bit as good as yours. The "religious" are not the only people with morals. If it were not so, then why are so many "religious" people so often being found to be "immoral"? Examples: Kevin Garn, Ted Haggart, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, Eddie Long, and the list goes on.

Additionally, we Love the Constitution every bit as much as you do.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    March 10, 2011 6:45 a.m.

Parkercoug | 9:43 p.m. March 8, 2011
    Parker, CO
    My oldest daughter came home in tears from middle school when her best friend, a Baptist, told her she learned in church that my daughter as a Mormon was not a Christian. She and her friend had very much in common. They both believed in Christ, held high standards and were a natural fit. But from that point on their relationship was strained. Her friend starting treating my daughter as if she were superior. If the evangelicals keep on preaching to their congregations that Mormons are not Christian, then the relationship between the groups will always be strained.

---------------------------------

Let's turn that around just a wee bit. If Mormons keep preaching that they're the One and Only true church, relations between the groups will always be strained.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    March 10, 2011 6:44 a.m.

"Chief executive officers of 40 denominations ..."

That about says it all about organized religion, doesn't it!

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2011 10:32 p.m.

donn, I've been on that Catholic Answers site, and they consider Democrats non-Christian, too. Really, your point?

• Alberta Reader mona, ut
    March 9, 2011 9:30 p.m.

donn do you know how many times you have made that exact comment? Lots
    What is the point?

• donn layton, Ut
    March 9, 2011 8:39 p.m.

johnhenry: Evangelical Christian Churches considers Mormonism,Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Science cults. Catholic answers considers Mormonism a non-christian religion.

• johnhenry APO, AP
    March 9, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Until the leadership of the Evangelical denominations comes out, loudly and clearly, that it is fundamentally wrong for their congregations to distribute such offensive items as the "Godmakers" movies, which are intentionally offensive and intentionally dishonest, and other such literature about us, I see no reason for understanding of the differences. I know one similarity is that both we and the Evangelicals preach the Ten Commandments. Take a wild guess as to which group's leadership I believe practice those.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    March 9, 2011 6:17 p.m.

re: Parkercoug | 9:43 p.m. March 8, 2011
    Here is the perfect retort for your daughter; Just ask an Evangelical about Snake handling?

re: New Yorker | 10:45 p.m. March 8, 2011
    Its not so much logic as Syntax & diction.

re: The Vanka | 9:49 a.m. March 9, 2011
    There is far too much socio-economic bias in Zion. East Side of the SL Valley v West Side, Wastch front v rural Utah, & my favorite wards in middle class area where there are older houses and newer developments with McMansions.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    March 9, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Diamondladi, I don't think Holger was trying to prove the truthfulness of the church so much as he was trying to show that Evengelicals are not the only ones who claim their religion to be backed up by the Bible. Evangelicals are always saying, "The Bible says..." as if we didn't know what the Bible says. It's kind of irritating. Just because we have a different understanding of what the Bible means, does not mean that we don't read it, or try to live by it. So, I think it is entirely appropriate for us Mormons to point out what the Bible says to people that are frequently doing the same thing to us. I think that sometimes we Mormons emphasize a confirmation by the Holy Ghost so much, that we actually gloss over the fact that our faith actually has a very compelling scriptural basis, which when looked at honestly and sincerely, has invited an even more compelling witness from the Holy Spirit. I realize that Bible-bashing gets us nowhere, but maybe there are some Evangelicals who wouldn't question our Christianity so much if they heard us quoting the Bible more.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    March 9, 2011 4:04 p.m.

Are they going to make sure Huckabee and Mitt act semi-christian in the upcoming bid for the 2012 GOP nomination?

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 9, 2011 2:41 p.m.

Ok, one last comment by me, being a Mormon, if I had to choose between Obama and Huckabee, I would choose Huckabee without hesitation, in spite of his comment about Mormons. When it comes to governing this nation, I am not going to let silly differences stop me from voting for a person who I could trust to lead this nation. Oh and if it was Huckabee and Harry Reid, I would vote for Huckabee, wow, I would not vote for a Mormon, go figure, Reid does not share my values.

• diamondladi Gambrills, MD
    March 9, 2011 1:28 p.m.

Holger- I am an east coast convert. I'm fine being called lds or Mormon. I doubt that the leaders of our church who will be meeting with the Evangelicals will be quoting to them the scriptures you sited "proving" the truthfulness of the church. I sure hope not! I've gotten along fine with many many Evangelicals in the 30 years I've been a member. We share many beliefs in common, such as a love for the Savior, the belief in prayer, a desire to serve God and help others. I've only had a problem with people who's leaders have preached against Mormons.
    Latter-day saints aren't immune to this either. I'm confident in what the General Authorities of the church have said about this, but unfortunately there may have been individual local leaders who've steered people wrong and individual members who mistake Pride for truth.
    As far as Romney being picked if the Lord wants him, agency and democracy means we pick who reflects our values and thereby commend or condemn ourselves- The Book of Mormon shows us that.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 9, 2011 12:55 p.m.

For several years we lived in the deep south where I served not only as a local LDS leader but also was known as a local civic leader. As such I was able to serve on the regional "Ministerial Council" with other religious leaders. A few Baptist ministers were not happy with me serving on the council but most welcomed me. We worked on many local problems, with the poor and needy and on moral community issues. With my LDS ties I was able to help with getting food and clothing for the needy and for emergency situation. When community projects came up I was able to tap our LDS membership for help.

The bottom line is that it can work when we work together. At times I was even asked to speak to other congregations on moral (non-religious) topics. My biggest challenge was speaking to evangelical black congregations. Not because of religious differences but because of presentation/delivery differences. We, Mormons, are just boring in comparison.

Those ministers that objected to my membership on the council still did so when I moved out of the area. Some never change. The others gave me a "Thank You" plaque.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 9, 2011 11:17 a.m.

My experience is, that the only tension between the Evangelicals and the members of the LDS Church mostly come from the side of the Evangelicals. Most members of the LDS Church could care less what the Evangelicals think, other than those like myself get urked about their outright lies when it concerns what members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes.

I feel that they need to spend more time tending to their flocks and quit freaking out about LDS people.

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    March 9, 2011 11:16 a.m.

@ The Vanka

Trust me dear, it cuts both ways. Having raised my bright, out-going, athletic, and "good" children in the midwest, they were steeled by ostracism and rejection they received from their Baptist and Lutheran neighbors. My oldest daughter's best friend was not allowed to come to our house until the night of her high school graduation reception when we were proud to welcome her and her evangelical father into our foyer dominated by a beautiful framed picture of the Savior. We lingered there in the foyer for a few minutes allowing the father to bask in the spirit of our Christ-centered home. Not certain that he got the message-probably still too overburdened with years of anti-Mormon literature and seminars.

Although evangelical Christians and LDS Christians are far closer than they might imagine, it is primarily a matter of semantics and misconceptions. Unfortunately this will probably never change, as long as we our a threat to their livlihoods by plucking the best and brightest out of their congregations (and offering plates) and converting them to Mormonism.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 9, 2011 10:57 a.m.

Vanka, you know it is funny, when I read Parkercoug's story, I felt bad for her daughter, but when I read yours, I felt angry, I felt anger to fellow Mormon's to act this way. I am not a member of another church, so I can only feel bad when they tell me I am not a Christian, and that is the most hurtful thing a person can say to me, because I love my Savior and am grateful for His Atoning Sacrifice and Resurrection. I am grateful for His teachings and example. But as a Mormon, I know what we are taught and I know that never over the pulpit is another religion put down. I know that we are taught to stay away from people with values that are contrary to ours, such as drug use, and behaviors that would cause us to break commandments, but not because of religious differences. That was a pious self righteous Mormon and I as a Mormon apologize for the shallow treatment from a member of my church. So, can we all get along and work together, united were are going to be stronger, and this isn't about politics

• Holger Roy, Utah
    March 9, 2011 9:57 a.m.

I went from Methodist to Mormon, NO, not correct. Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints. Understand Mormon comes from the Book of Mormon so named because the record (Stick of Joseph in Ezekiel 37:15-20) was abridged by the Prophet Mormon as per the Lord's instructions. The LDS Church in fact was restored by Heavenly Messengers. It is not Joseph Smith's church or Mormon's church but is the original Church of Jesus Christ restored. See, Matthew 17:11-13 Revelations 14:6-7 Hebrews 13:8 we see Jesus is the same past, present and future. Another point to understand is that in 3 places are the true followers of Christ refered to by the Lord in the KJV of the Bible as Christians, but Saints, thus Latter Day Saints. Jesus did not receive a salary neither do we in His Church today,See John 10:11-14 That poses a problem for those who wish to profit by preaching. If the Lord wants Romney to be President He will be. I think this meeting may help if Evangelicals will humble them selves. If not The Lord may do it.

• pikap1868 Layton, UT
    March 9, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Oh the convenience of it all.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    March 9, 2011 9:51 a.m.

After attending our LDS meetings, my evangelical relatives and friends often leave confused, saying: "I felt like I was in a Baptist (etc.) meeting, what's all the fuss about?!"

They say this because our religions have so much in common, and they realize that we worship the same Jesus Christ of the Bible that they worship.

I think we are much like the children of parents who object to the persons their children are considering as partners in life; who may not be a perfect match, but who are much alike, and with whom they could accomplish many good and great things.

Yet, the parents, having been previously prejudiced by what someone they respect has said about that person, fail to see how much alike the two are, or acknowledge the many great things they could accomplish together.

Just think of how much all Christian religions could accomplish, working together for Christ's purposes, rather than spend so much of our strength and effort trying to defend ourselves against the other.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    March 9, 2011 9:49 a.m.

Parkercoug,

Your daughter's story is touching.

My daughter is LDS. Here is her story:

My daughter came home in tears from Junior High School when her best friend, an "active" LDS from a prominent family, told her she learned in church that she must choose her friends carefully. My daughter was told that, because her father is not LDS, and does not share the same "values" and "beliefs", she could not be friends with my daughter anymore.

This "active", LDS former-friend starting treating my daughter as an inferior person.

This has happened several times.

Mormons need to eliminate the horrible self-righteousness and judgmentalism across the board, and within its own ranks. How they relate to evangelicals should be the least of their worries. You can't even treat your own people with respect and dignity!

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    March 9, 2011 8:47 a.m.

It's always good to meet together and look at each other face to face. I hope we figure out a way to do it more often. Seems like Evangelicals and Mormons have more in common than most people in the world, and on topics of cultural significance there's not a whole lot of difference at all.

• samurai Peoria, AZ
    March 9, 2011 7:50 a.m.

If the evangelical is coming for supporting Mike then that is the wrong approach.
    Ignorance is the big mistake of the side of evangelical. Mike is trying to attach Mitt for 2008 and that is wrong as a politician. I support Mitt Romney for 120% for 2012. We need to look at if the person can solve the problems of America but not if he speaks Chinese or not. As a Japanese citizen, Mitt does the greatest job and he proved in many way. And he will probably good for Japan which we are shifting from Democrat to Conservative in April, 2011.

Mitt is the one! Go Mitt!

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Focus on similarities not differences!

I would personally recommend teaching our children this principle as soon as possible.

Children are always the first ones to innocently point out differences that can possibly hurt relatationships and they do get this trait from somewhere. But where?

• baddog Cedar Rapids, IA
    March 9, 2011 7:21 a.m.

Perhaps there is one underlying aspect few have thought of: Each time an evangelical is baptized a minister and congregation loses that person's offerings.

One of the roots of disapproval may well be economic.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    March 9, 2011 7:00 a.m.

To Parkercoug and others: you obviously have missed the point again. Christians do not participate in what Mormons consider core to the Mormon faith. Baptism for the dead, the understanding of God, etc. Secret temple rites. So many differences that my state supported library, the state repository for fed and state records, etc., has many books on cults and there is the Mormon Religion, front and center in each book. The evangelicals that are coming to Utah will not change their Christian core because they have visited SLC, etc. Instead, it will reaffirm who they are and what they stand for. You watch and see.

Romney cannot get the nomination nor election in 2012. It will get very nasty over the next 4 months as Huckabee does his act, and Newt tries to get to the podium again and again. Who will rep. the GOP in 2012? I don't know, but not one of the present candidates, they are all too small. Obama is definitely the odds on favorite for re-election in 12.

• ? Fort Knox, KY
    March 9, 2011 6:14 a.m.

I think this will be a good thing. Any chance to work together I think helps each to better understand one other. With understanding then maybe each will treat one another better. I agree that almost anything that will unite this country will strengthen it.

• Considering Stockton, UT
    March 8, 2011 10:56 p.m.

There simply needs to be a little greater understanding in the use of words. There are certain doctrinal differences that are not going away. But how those differences are described could be tempered a bit on both sides.

Culturally, socially, and politically (as well as doctrinally), Evangelicals and Mormons have far more in common than they do that which divides them.

It would help if Mormons could learn to be less offended when someone claims they are not "Christian". Depends on whose definition of "Christian" get used and the old joke about who is a yank comes to mind. I freely admit that If someone defines "Christian" as accepting certain portions of the Nicean creed that I and my beliefs do not fit that definition. Of course, I think that definition is artificially narrow.

OTOH, it would help if Evangelicals could find someway to express doctrinal differences without cutting to the very core of LDS identity as worshiping Jesus Christ as the son of God, Messiah, and Savior.

Both sides need to learn a little vernacular used by the other. Whether it is "Holy Spirit" or "Holy Ghost", for example, the ideas are very similar.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 8, 2011 10:50 p.m.

Huckabee really hurt my feelings as a Mormon when he made his comments. And I have been hurt over and over, being told by the Evangelicals that I am not a Christian, but go figure, we have the same pictures of Christ in our homes. It is time that we stop attacks and agree to disagree for the sake of this nation. More then ever those with good moral values and a belief in the Constitution and that this nation needs not be changed, this will only happen if we are unified. I use to take care of a lady from another religion, their church had published a book called "Ten Things to Ask a Mormon". I have a child that left the Mormon church, I told her to go to another Christian church, but she became an atheist, that was very hard to take, but thank heavens we can agree to disagree. Many times when pondering doing something that may be right or wrong, we would say, "what would Christ do?" So for all those who dislike the Mormons, what would Christ do?

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 8, 2011 10:45 p.m.

"have fewer differences than commonalities" Is that Greek logic, Demosthenes? :-)

The difference in beliefs is fundamental, as between most major religions. However, there is no reason to be disrespectful of one another. A preponderance of Evangelicals call Catholics, Mormons, and others "cults" with the negative inference and connotation that Evangelicals are not a "cult," but something better. The problem is not the difference in beliefs, it's a matter of some not respecting the religious beliefs of others. This gap should be able to be bridged by leadership of all world religions, including the Muslims. Then after it is bridged at the leadership level, the leaders should continuously preach respect until the message reaches every disciple.

The devoutly religious of all faiths have much more in common with each other than with those who know not God. It's in our common interest to support one another against the rise of atheism and the political institutionalization of atheism. Humanity will vote amongst the various beliefs with their feet and with their tithing, but let's do it all without acrimony.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    March 8, 2011 10:17 p.m.

The religious divide between LDS and Evangelicals clearly needs to be mended. The most important reason being, outside of neighborly kindness and acceptance, is for the two factions to come together to fight against the leftist agenda of the present administration in D.C.
    The 2 big voting blocks of our country, "Mormon Corridor" of the Rockies cannot vote for another Huckabee, or any of great Evangelical plant, just as much as the "Evangelical South" cannot vote for a Mormon. This divide and conquering of both parts is encouraged by the Democrats and the left-leaning media.
    Now, what are supposed to do? Let it happen again? Be left with Obama again?
    For the sake of our great nation and its future, we need a compromise.
    Maybe Mormon Mitt for President, with a Southern Baptist for VP, in the likes of perhaps a Jim DeMint of South Carolina, or equivalent?
    It may be in the making. Please, for the sake of our children's future, let's get together.

• Demosthenes Rexburg, ID
    March 8, 2011 9:50 p.m.

I've never understood the tension between Evangelicals and Mormons. It's not unusual when I hear their objections to Mormonism that some of their information is inaccurate. Perhaps this meeting will help heal the divide.

The two groups have fewer differences than commonalities.

• Parkercoug Parker, CO