Blue roundup: BYU's projected seeding drops

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    March 7, 2011 9:22 p.m.

Mr. Hog, I guess you were just starving after that short BYU fast that you had. You sure came back with a flurry!

You are right about Oakland, they had some impressive wins but have been inconsistent.

I am surprised and pleased that we didn't drop further in the polls. I guess the voters looked closely at what happened with Davies the day before the NM game and they weighed it against the Wyoming game. It seems we got the benefit of the doubt.

We will see if this new line-up going small in the middle of a zone defense works in the tournament.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 7, 2011 4:56 p.m.

I was glad to see BYU give Brandon Davies a chance to enjoy the moment of winning the championship he helped earn. It shows they are compassionate and willing to help him on the road back. You will see Brandon Davies back in a BYU uniform one day and he'll be a better man for the experience he will have gone through.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    March 7, 2011 3:53 p.m.

Why cant the desnews permanently block hedgehog. His stupidity has earned it.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    March 7, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Someone who promised that they wouldn't post ANY comments on ANY BYU articles for the remainder of the basketball season should just keep quiet on anything to do with honor and integrity.

You certainly have NO BUSINESS speaking for Brandon Davies, a person who's proven his honor and integrity.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    March 7, 2011 3:06 p.m.

L ron hubbard would be proud of you hedge.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 7, 2011 2:50 p.m.

Wow Hedger!
    That comment right there is by far your dumbest comment ever! Bubble?!?! That comment proves a point that you are the one living in a distorted hate bubble. Go back to school will ya? Maybe you can someday graduate and get a real life.
    But I will mark it down that that will NEVER happen.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 7, 2011 2:31 p.m.

"I was extremely happy to see Brandon Davies behind the BYU bench during the Wyoming game"

Yes about that. I real head scratcher to the world outside the bubble. Only in Provo can you kick a guy off the team then immidiatly allow him to sit with the team and have the crowd cheer.

Kinda proves a point. Davies did nothing wrong and everyone knows it - the team, the fans and the world at large.

Strange. Very strange indeed.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 7, 2011 2:23 p.m.

look everyone! the BYU hater troll is back,
    Please learn to spell at least one word right in your comments before you try ripping on true fans and BYU's athletic program. It really makes you look not so smart. Your comments (when those of us who are literate can finally understand them) really are getting trite and boring. Why don't you tell us again how scared everyone is to play your Utesies in the MWC tourney. And how BYU will be one and done, blah blah blah...... snore.

And don't forget to Mark it Down.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 7, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Yep ... Hedge can't even keep his word about not commenting after our 2nd SDSU win. That's OK, his comments are always good for a laugh!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 7, 2011 1:47 p.m.

I'm as big of a Coug fan as there is and I don't see a way they get back to a #1 seed. In fact, I think they need to win the tournament to keep their projected #2 seed. A loss in the championship game would likely drop BYU to a #3 seed and a loss in the semi-finals could drop BYU to a #4 or even a #5.

But I think BYU will get to MWC championship game after beating UNM in the semis and I'm hoping it's another epic rematch against SDSU.

I wish the MWC set-up their tournament like the WCC. It would make for more interesting games from beginning to end. In the WCC, the tournament will maintain double byes for the first- and second-place teams and single byes for the third- and fourth-place teams. Looking forward to some great games next year against Gonzaga, St Marys and Portland. I predict the WCC will place more teams (probably 3) in the Big Dance next year than the MWC (only 2).

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 7, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Thank you for your obsessed and jealous opinion...again! As you mentioned the beatdown BYU took last week. Yes, they did and now they know how you feel after nearly every game your team played this year. They appear to have it figured out now and should do well in the tournaments.

I was extremely happy to see Brandon Davies behind the BYU bench during the Wyoming game. The fans showed alot of support, and class(you wouldn't understand hedge) to give him some cheers and chants when he cut the net. That took alot of guts to show up after being in the national spotlight for several days. I am looking forward to seeing him again next year. BYU is gettng a lot of positive national attention for their honor(you won't understand hedge) code also.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    March 7, 2011 1:12 p.m.

Every single one of the teams in the top 10 has had let downs. None of them have had the issues BYU did last week. Syracuse lost two or three games in a row at one point, and only dropped 2 places.

BYU will be just fine. Didn't you make a promise not to comment anymore after the SDSU win a couple weeks back?

• IDC Boise, ID
    March 7, 2011 1:11 p.m.

A 2 seed would be great, 3 seed good, 4 okay, 5-7 disappointing. I don't see a 1 seed unless BYU crushes all the teams they play in the conference tournament and I don't see that happening. However, that is what I am hoping for. One game at a time.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 7, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Hey, I'm just saying that you kewgs should feel very grateful that the voters didn't kick you out of the top 10. Gripping so bad at home againts a middle of the pack mid-major usally results in a massive drop.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    March 7, 2011 12:23 p.m.

hedge, remind us again which seed the U will receive this week? Oh wait...wrong tournament. Speaking of beat downs, how'd that UNLV thing work out for U?

• Softball Dad Woods Cross, UT
    March 7, 2011 11:55 a.m.

I predict they will win then lose this weekend, get a #4 seed.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 7, 2011 11:54 a.m.

You need to do a little more research. ESPN is saying three of the #1's are locked in and the only one in question will probably be grabbed by Duke if they perform well in their conference tournament. I don't see any scenario that would have BYU beating out Duke for the last #1.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 7, 2011 11:53 a.m.

"Not too surpriseing that BYU's projected seed would drop a little with the loss of Davies"

You mean "not to suprised" after the BEATDOWN at home this past week.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    March 7, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Dear Hedgehog,

BYU will end up with a better seed in the big dance than Utah ended up in the MWC. Thanks for your attention.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 7, 2011 11:29 a.m.

BYU is now ranked #8 in both polls.
    We will know more about how the new BYU team will perform after the MWC tournament. If they win the MWC tournament they could be back into contention for a #1 seed.

I hope they play UNM in the tournament. We have unfinished business with them.

May they shot like they did in the second half against Wyoming. If they do that BYU should go deep in the NCAA tournament.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 7, 2011 11:07 a.m.

Not too surpriseing that BYU's projected seed would drop a little with the loss of Davies; a strong finish in the MWC tournament, however, could still put BYU back into consideration for a #1 seed.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 7, 2011 11:06 a.m.

Given where they are in the AP poll, #2 or 3 makes sense to me. I thought they would drop further in botht polls and seeding, but the voters surprised me. I guess they're giving the MWC more credit than I thought they would. Based on the predictions though, it looks like they could end up as low as a #7, but I just don't see that happening. I look for them to end up between 2 and 5.

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    March 7, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Looks like BYU dropped from 3rd to 8th in the AP poll after the NM disaster. I think they were fortunate not to have slid out of the top 10.

They'll have to make a good showing in the MWC tournament to breathe life into a 2 or 3 NCAA seed. Hope they can do it.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 7, 2011 10:56 a.m.

All you tds fans better hope you're not pitted against Oakland. A very good TEAM that plays great defense.