Sports

BYU basketball: Reno Mahe feels for Brandon Davies

Comments

• mattmo Gallatin, MO
    March 4, 2011 7:51 a.m.

You know about the Refiners Fire and once the impurities have been burned out and the master knows when it is complete when he can see his image in the silver. And so it is with us when the Savior can see his image in us that is when we will be ready to return to him. We all make mistakes for there must be opposition in all things. As our Father in Heaven, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are real so his Satan and his followers. If we say we are without sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. Repent and become clean and you will be made whole through him that came to save us from sin if we take those steps toward him and not away from him. Love you brother. God be with you till we meet again.

• peppermint salt lake city, utah
    March 3, 2011 5:37 p.m.

I agree with Reno. Leaarn from this, and then PLEASE come back. We all make mistakes. In this world, you are not alone.You have a lot of supporters who only wish you well, and want to see you play again.

• Riles Midway, UT
    March 3, 2011 4:43 p.m.

I wonder how many 19 year olds have made the same mistake and not said anything. Kudos to Davies for being a man of integrity, stepping forward voluntarily, and taking his medicine. The team and fans have your back.

• 215557byu Salem, Utah
    March 3, 2011 4:16 p.m.

@Pack.

Your comment is a judgement, but don't apologize for it. Life requires judgements.

• Pack Layton, Utah
    March 3, 2011 3:55 p.m.

This is not a judgement, the choice that Davies made was selfish. Other team mates relied on him and he put himself before the team. Learn from it and come back.

• 215557byu Salem, Utah
    March 3, 2011 3:04 p.m.

I appreciate very much Reno's comments. He impressed me when he returned to play at BYU and he impresses me today. As for Brandon, what amazing courage it took for him to come forward. That kind of integrity is incredible, particularly for one so young. My thoughts are with him, and I sincerely hope that we have the privilege of watching him play at BYU again. If that does not happen, I have no doubt that he will make his personal mark wherever he is.

• MotherofFour Springville, UT
    March 3, 2011 1:32 p.m.

I'm so impressed with Davies, because he owned up to his mistake at a crucial time and that shows incredible integrity! I hope he will be back next season and I think the Marriott Center will give him a long standing ovation when his name is called out. We believe in honor and we believe in forgiveness.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 3, 2011 12:34 p.m.

Reno Mahe seems to be the undealt with factor for many who try to portray the honor code as ultra-draconian.

• Arizona2 Tucson, AZ
    March 3, 2011 11:28 a.m.

Well said, Reno. As much as I love BYU basketball/football, it's just a game. The individual athletes and their growth as people is much more important. Best of wishes to Brandon.

• Sparky908 Yakima, WA
    March 3, 2011 10:51 a.m.

I'm not going to throw in the towel yet. Losing two days after a major blow like this, kind of expected. Concerns of seating? If you win your games in the playoffs, who cares where you start. What really has my thoughts today is how impressed I am of how a young man, at a very critical part of his college career, has the fortitude to stand up and admit he made a mistake knowing what consequences he faced. Needless to say, what he did to cause this is eclipsed by how he handled his response.

Before this happened I honestly knew very little of this young man, but since I now want to see how he overcomes this and goes on to win. The whole point of sports is to show how you can overcome all challenges and win. Sometimes it's the ball and the hoop, sometimes it's your body, your mind and your skill level. This young man has skills, an ability to overcome ALL challenges, now we will see if he has the mental stamina to overcome this last obstacle. I think we will see next season. Make it so Mr. Davis.

• ST Layton, UT
    March 3, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Davies did disappointed me. There are 100 other players out there who would have loved to have been in his shoes ... and not messed up. But that's life ... and we move on. Best wishes to Davies in the future.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    March 3, 2011 9:35 a.m.

After seeing the game, I free for James Anderson as well. What a difficult position to be put into

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    March 3, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Reno, thank you.
    Brandon, I hope you read all the comments on this article. We stand with you my brother. We love and support you. You have shown great courage, especially considering the time you came forward during the basketball season. Much as I hate saying this, I would rather see the team lose in the first round of the tournament than not enforcing the Honor Code.
    You did well. You have my respect.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 3, 2011 9:22 a.m.

I thought about Reno when this story broke. His returning to BYU has always impressed me. Thank you Reno for sharing your advice with Brandon.

• bkcharles Snowflake, AZ
    March 3, 2011 9:17 a.m.

@Come On
    "I think the not judging part is long gone! For being Christian people we aren't very compassionate either."

How is the "not judging part gone"? Do you expect BYU to say, "that's alright, you made a mistake, but no one is perfect, we will just act as if nothing happened"? BYU is not saying that Davies is damned, they are only saying that there has to be consequences for his actions.

If a person makes an agreement and then doesn't keep their part of agreement, shouldn't their be some accountability? There must be consequences or there is no reason to make agreements and have rules.

• Smith9294 Lehi, UT
    March 3, 2011 8:56 a.m.

I think it's funny that some people are mocking the Honor Code and judging BYU for enforcing it while people like Reno and Davies (and others) broke it, were punished, and then took the necessary steps so that they could return to the same school and Honor Code. I have yet to hear any of these guys complain about the Honor Code. I think their opinion regarding the Honor Code carries far more weight than the ones who speak negatively against it.

I'm a Utah fan and always smile when BYU gets beat but I am huge fan of the Honor Code. People can learn a great lesson from Davies and BYU. I look forward to seeing play next year.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    March 3, 2011 8:40 a.m.

@Come On
    Depends if you are trying to live the Gospel or not. There are plenty of people who judge and hold grudges, to those people best of luck. For the majority of LDS members who are byu fans they will forgive and forget, did you read any comments the last two days? Fans were very understanding and didnt blame byu or Davies at all.

• Come On Salt Lake City, UT
    March 3, 2011 8:00 a.m.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    March 3, 2011 7:53 a.m.

Thanks Reno and good advice to Davies. This may be better publicity for BYU than winning the national championship.

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    March 3, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Brandon, I think most BYU fans want you back and I hope you do come back. I just wish the best for you and hope the best will be at BYU.

Good luck!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 3, 2011 7:34 a.m.

It takes a lot of guts for Davies to come forward like this with so much on the line. He could have waited until the end of the season. That shows a real man. I hope he comes back and not only plays well but does exceptionally well in school and prepares for a career. This lesson will be invaluable to him in his life and he can serve as an example to many other kids.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    March 3, 2011 7:09 a.m.

I can respect Reno Mahe, not only did he admit his mistake but he learned from it, matured from it, and decided to come back and made the most with his career. I hope we dont judge young players for mistakes they make. If he were anywhere else besides byu no one would care and he would still be playing ball.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    March 3, 2011 6:39 a.m.

I hope Brandon comes back. He is an awesome post player. He will have a great basketball career at BYU or somewhere else...But I hope it is at BYU!

Everyone Makes Mistakes in Life! Often times that is the best time to learn.

Keep working hard Brandon and we hope you stay at BYU!

• Brett Tucker, GA
    March 3, 2011 6:23 a.m.

Reno was so much fun to watch at Brighton HS and at BYU. But his attitude here is even more meaningful and helpful.

Thanks Reno

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    March 3, 2011 4:58 a.m.

Knowing that Brandon self-reported makes a world of difference. Can you imagine the courage this took knowing the potential effect on the team. Indeed, I think Brandon is on the right track and will make a strong comeback. That kind of courage is capable of overcoming mistakes. Good luck Brandon.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:21 p.m.

Brandon is already on the right track. Dave Rose reported tonight that Brandon self-reported his Honor Code violation.

Not only does that take enormous courage, considering the public embarrassment and consequences of letting down himself, his teammates and his school, but it also shows that he's taking responsibility for his actions.

Good luck Brandon as you work through this!

Thanks Reno! You're a great guy and your story is very much appreciated at this time.

We spoke briefly at Harvey's wedding. You had a little more facial hair then.

• Idaho guy Meridian, ID
    March 2, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Thanks for the great words of advice Reno! Davies, listen to the man, he is right. My heart goes out to you that this is so public. Know that there are plenty of people who love and respect you and wish you the best in working your way back. Good luck man, I'm behind you and hope for the best for you!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    March 2, 2011 7:24 p.m.

Here's hoping Brandon will follow in Reno's shoes!

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    March 2, 2011 6:35 p.m.

Thanks Reno. The Bottom Line is the program is bigger than one individual. Brandon, I admire your basketball skills. May God bless you during this time. If it makes any difference, I do not judge you, but only hope the best for you.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 2, 2011 5:58 p.m.

The timing of this story is great--and greatly appreciated. Reno, you did it right, and we thank you for your courage and class.

Brandon, every fan I know and have talked to today is fully behind you, and wishes you well. Come back if you can. Stand tall, and we'll stand with you.