BYU basketball: Nation reacts to Davies' dismissal

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    March 3, 2011 12:09 p.m.

When I first heard the news, I thought that perhaps there goes our March Madness. Then my heart took courage and I had a thought. Even though we intend to keep our honor even if it hurts us, who says we will not succeed in spite of our loss. If we do what is right, can we not we expect the blessings of God for it? Now don't get me wrong. I am NOT saying that God is now on the BYU side and the devil on the side of the other team. I do, however, believe that God honors those who keep their honor. Either way, we will be fine. We have cast our lot with honor and God is watching.

• Geronimo Alpine, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:46 p.m.

Brandon, Some may say that this is a low point, and in part, they would be correct. The nice thing about the low point, is there is no where to go but up. While a mistake has been made, it can also be overcome. What you have done took great courage, and personal integrity, and I for one, admire the fact that you came forward to deal with this situation head on. Life is about learning, both from our successes, and from our mistakes. Hold your head high in knowing that there are many people, in fact, dare I say most people, who would be glad to stand by your side and help you through this ordeal.

In the end, you will be a better man for having gone through this, and for taking the high road to resolve anything that had to be addressed. Sports and basketball do not mean much in the grand scheme of things in which we believe. Overcoming the challenges you now face, means far more in the long run. Just know, that you will always have a spot on the roster that counts. Best wishes.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    March 2, 2011 5:53 p.m.

yeah, i am not the biggest fan of his, but the evidence points to him having multiple user accounts. One is a BYU fan, the other is an extremist ute fan.

• coachcarter Cedar City, UT
    March 2, 2011 5:38 p.m.

This has nothing to do with Davies and his honor code violation, but I wish him the best.

In a book about Brigham Young entitled, "American Moses", it talks about Brigham Young's dad wanting him to sign a piece of paper stating that he will never consume alcohol....Brigham told his father no, he would never sign such a sheet of paper because it would be meaningless. The moral of the story is rather ironic.

Not even Brigham Young would sign an Honor Code paper to attend the university which bears his name.

GO UTES!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 5:37 p.m.

"My whole problem with this was how it was made public by the school. Whats up with that?"

But what are their options to avoid that? I mean if he did enough to warrant removal from the team per the honor code... then how can they NOT eventually say that he was removed for an honor code violation? You can't just have a starting player disappear from a team and pretend nobody will notice and in the case of BYU you can't just let him stay on the team.

• Peter Lemon Providence, UT
    March 2, 2011 5:28 p.m.

I don't get it. Isn't basketball one way to keep a kid off the streets and from getting into trouble? BYU should be making Brandon Davies spend more time on the court, not less.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 2, 2011 4:29 p.m.

His is NOT a BYU fan. Nor is he a UTE fan. If I wrote what I think he is, the censors wouldn't post this.

• Expatriate Ogden, UT
    March 2, 2011 4:13 p.m.

I am looking forward to tipoff this evening. In the midst of some bad decisions by a pretty good kid who prolly wishes he could "do over", we just may be treated to an epic example of team class and toughness in a storm of adversity. Most here are compassionate and are taking the high road in the midst of their disappointment. A few mental midgets are very much in need of some basic life 101 honor code. The world desperately needs more honor.

This couldn't have been kept out of the media. Brigham Young, school or man, cannot be understood by everybody. College basketball is not life, but when a program is run with honor, it can prepare young men for life. I was pretty down in the dumps earlier today. Many of the posters here have lifted my spirits. I have a good feeling about the next 6 weeks, even in the midst of my sorrow for Brandon.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:49 p.m.

BYW, my last post was directed to Chris B, and not any of the classy Utah fans who do frequent these boards.....

• Dadof8 Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:45 p.m.

I find the contrast between the publishing of the SI article on college sports and crime, a story with strong Utah ties, and the Davies' dismissal incredibly interesting.

To both the young men involved in the separate articles, I wish you the best in your endeavors and opportunities that lie before you. Make the best of them.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Chris B | 10:32 a.m. March 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

When will this school realize that you will NEVER have a top athletic team(basketball or football) with the honor code around?

I agree with Ben, but how is a guy so dense and clueless to even make this stuff up, and sit down to type it up?

Yep, with the honor code, BYU will never have a Wooden winner, a Heisman quality QB, Outland Trophy winners, Doak Walker, Davey O'Brien winners, and never a NC. They will never be ranked in the top 25 in any sport, and will never be able to fill up a 45,000 seat stadium.

Wait Chris, which University in Utah were you talking about again?

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    March 2, 2011 3:42 p.m.

It is what it is. The Cougars must move on and adjust.

If any of you ever had doubts whether Chris B. had any class at all, just read Chris B's posts on this article; all doubt will be removed.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:37 p.m.

The honor code violation could have been punished at the end of the season. BYU has bigger interests as an institution, and they have shot themselves in the foot. I say it is akin to "penny wise and pound foolish."

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:30 p.m.

"The Cougars care about winning, yes. But they care more about something Jack Nicholson talked about in A Few Good Men. They care about honor..."

I see this as a chance for the rest of the team to prove that you can win with honor. Do it for Davies. He is a great kid.

This team can, and will, make the state proud.

Talk about your Cinderella stories. This season is one we'll be telling our kids about, and Utah fans will be telling us we can't bring it up (ie. 1984 -- what a great season that was...)

Remember it well. You might remember it with a smile 50 years from now. (Ya think Gene Hackman would play Coach Rose in the movie?)

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    March 2, 2011 3:20 p.m.

"Would Davies be kicked off the team if he were the star quarterback? History would say, "No" (Jim McMahon)"

Times change and BYU has gotten much better at enforcing the Honor Code equally. Harvey Unga and Brandon Davies are prime examples of the Honor Code being equally applied to star athletes by Bronco and Rose.

Guaranteed, Bronco would suspend a player like McMahon today if he was pulling the same stunts Jim was pulling while he was playing for BYU.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:14 p.m.

"Please understand BYU fans, that the majority of Utah fans are not like that."

I am with you. I take no pleasure in this situation and wish the Cougar basketball team the best of success in the NCAA tournament. I also wish Brandon the best of success in his endeavors.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:14 p.m.

yes obviously from Chris B's posts, he would "appear" to be a die hard utah fan and an extremist.

His ideas are so far out there that I once proposed that he was actually a BYU fan posing as a Ute fan to make Ute fans look silly. My idea was shot down. From time to time, Chris B will make a post that is pro-BYU. He will then quickly comment that his wife hacked his account and posted it under his name. "She is a tds fan" he will say.

Trust me, he is a BYU fan posing as a Ute fan to make Ute fans look bad. I am pretty sure that he has another account here at the Des news, and I am pretty sure I know who he is, but I won't name names.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    March 2, 2011 3:10 p.m.

There are plenty of other colleges that enforce an honor code as well as BYU. To say whatever he did wouldn't have mattered at another school is crazy. Yes, the code at BYU might be more strict, but each athlete and student are aware of it. Leave the kid alone, hope he can move forward and improve his life and get back to where he wants to be.

• technonerd7 orem, ut
    March 2, 2011 3:00 p.m.

I don't normally post, but I just wanted to get on and say thank you to those Ute fans who are posting positive comments. It is easy to get on and get the fans mad and angry, but most of you have been positive, and as a BYU fan, I appreciate it.

Go Coug's

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    March 2, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Usually you're quite rational in your arguments, but to suggest that Chris B is a BYU fan is ridiculous. There have been several Chris B imposters who are BYU fans, but the original Chris B is BYU hater through and through, and a lukewarm Utah fan.

I do agree that BYU fans should just ignore him; he appears to have more "issues" than simply being a BYU hater.

• BlakeC West Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2011 2:29 p.m.

It's true--every BYU student accepts the honor code and that should mean something.

Without knowing the details of the infraction, it's impossible to pass judgement. However, it doesn't seems like all athletes are treated the same.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    March 2, 2011 2:12 p.m.

I would urge everyone to ignore chris B.

Remember, he is a BYU fan posing as a Ute. arguing with him won't accomplish anything. He just sits back and laughs.

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 2, 2011 2:12 p.m.

I wouldn't be shocked if BYU makes the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 without Davies. Rose is a great coach, Jimmer is a great player and sometimes things like this make a team rally.

• Becky T West Jordan, Utah
    March 2, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Hugh G. Hater: That's ridiculous. Just because a member of the BYU team violated the honor code and is leaving the team is no reason for you to go on the attack of other teams or their players. This is a sad situation for Brandon Davies. He is a great athlete, and more importantly, a responsible and mature young man who is paying a huge price for a bad decision. For you to comment about gang fights and sanitizing records at the U of U shows a bad decision and a lack of maturity on your part. If there were an honor code on these comment boards you would have already been dismissed from them.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    March 2, 2011 2:03 p.m.

BYU is a team, not just a center or a PG. Great teams know how to still win with adversity. This will show us the character of the team. I already know they have great character, but this will strengthen them.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 2, 2011 2:02 p.m.

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste..." Rahm 'Deadfish' Emanuel

Ah, misery loves company doesn't it chrissy and ilk? You trolls are a miserable lot and epitomize what's wrong in today's culture.

Kudos to the good fans that understand what's going on and comment appropriately.

The media can comment all it wants about this and it won't change a thing and it will all be forgotten in a few weeks. If BYU runs deep, great. If it doesn't, too bad.

Brandon Davies does not define BYU Basketball, the team does. It's unfortunate he made decisions to separate himself. The team will survive. Hope Brandon does as well.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Interesting that those without standards can't imagine jeopardizing a successful season just on principle. Explaining it to them won't help either. Good luck Brandon and the Cougars.

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    March 2, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Skip Bayless, whose typical schtick is to be bombastic and confrontational in his opinions, was remarkably restrained and respectful towards BYU's honor code and standards, as well as this year's BYU basketball team. He showed a lot of class. Thank you, Skip!!!

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    March 2, 2011 1:51 p.m.

@ utes 21:

It was the responsible thing for a nationally known institution to do. How long do you think it was going to take before someone noticed that Davies was not at practice? How long before his presence in the game was missed? BYU did not disclose anything more than was prudent. We have no background on this other than it involved the honor code.

Without an appropriate announcement, the inuendo would have been viral (it already is beyond reason).

• LOL holladay, utah
    March 2, 2011 1:31 p.m.

It's hard to be perfect in each and every way.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    March 2, 2011 12:55 p.m.

To extend Chris B's logic, to be considered "one of the most epic failures of a team in NCAA history," the Y would have to be a top-flight team and a real threat to win the whole thing in his eyes. No-one could reasonably consider watching a merely-good or so-so team losing to be an "epic failure."

So, I say "thank you," CB, for your (unintentional) praise of the Jimmougars.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:43 p.m.

It is a matter of honor, integrity and class. You wouldn't understand. All BYU students, athletes included, agree to live a higher standard while attending BYU.
    I will explain one more time. A persons honor and integrity is more important than winning games. BYU has taken some abuse from small minded antagonists over the fact that their athletes are taught the philosophy that Athletics are not even in the top 3 priorities in life. This helps them prepare for life rather than live for the "now". BYU has surpassed every other institution in the state in success of their athletic teams with this philosophy. Maybe that is one of your issues with them.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:43 p.m.

to Chris B; more teams, more sports should have an honor code. What we see in sports today is a bunch of 'hoodlums', young men and women that become 'famous' and don't know how to act in society. We see drug use, illegitimate children, and other problems with behavior. We need more emphasis on honor and less importance of winning.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    March 2, 2011 12:34 p.m.

Cheer up BYU fans; all is not lost.

Brandon was a key player, but Coach Rose is an excellent coach and he'll make the necessary adjustments to fill the void left by Brandon's departure.

Getting a #2 seed and having to play without one of their starters may actually help BYU advance farther in the tournament than they might have with Davies. Some teams may underestimate the Cougars because BYU isn't at full strength, and the Cinderalla shoe is now firmly back on.

The Jimmer Show and Cinderalla, with the BYU Honor Code as a backdrop. BYU couldn't have planned a bigger stage to expose the mission of BYU.

Good luck Brandon; you're learning a tough lesson, but you'll pull through and be a better person for it.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Hugh G. Hater

Don't stoop to Chris B's level.

Most of the athletes that play for Utah are just as honorable and upstanding as BYU athletes.

The only difference is BYU athletes have a higher standard that they're expected to officially represent.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:13 p.m.

I'm glad to see a university value an honor code over fame. Too bad the player had to have his situation become national news. That's the price of prominence. I hope to see the player back again.

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Davies is taking responsibility. Good for him.
    Meanwhile ute recruits will continue to get in gang fights and have their
    records sanitized.

Hopefully JFredette can turn it up a notch and lead the team on.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    March 2, 2011 12:03 p.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Jimmer and the other Cougars react to this very disappointing turn of events.

Brandon is a tough kid and he'll bounce back. It took a lot of courage for him to make such a difficult confession at such a critical time for him and BYU.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Dear Ufan: Thanks. You have a lot of class.

I'm so proud of BYU for being the institution that it is. I'm so proud that we have shown that we believe in and practice honor even when it might cost us worldly glory.

I agree with Blue Coug. I'm truly sorry for Chris B.

I wish Brandon the best in working through his problems and I hope we'll see him on the basketball court at BYU next year.

• dallas realist rockwall, texas
    March 2, 2011 11:53 a.m.

chris b.
    are you saying that real athletes have no morals ? there are plenty of players that go to the U and follow this same honor code because of religion. have some class. just because it's college doesn't mean you cant be responsible!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    March 2, 2011 11:53 a.m.

TO demonstrate the kind of courage and integrity that Brandon Davies has in this situation is remarkable in a such a young man. I truly hope he can correct his mistake and return to the team. He will be the better player for it.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    March 2, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Again props to byu basketball they have had a amazing season. My whole problem with this was how it was made public by the school. Whats up with that? Way to establish Honor by publicly embarrassing one of your starting players. No one wants its known to the national media, I am sure this is the last thing he wanted to happen. You can defend the Code thats fine but I think its very Letter of the Law more than Spiritual.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    March 2, 2011 11:49 a.m.

The nation is watching and BYU performing like a true champion both on and off the court.

There's much more to life than basketball and BYU couldn't have asked for a bigger stage to demonstrate what the mission of the church and BYU are all about.

Good luck tonight against the Lobos!

It's time for Jimmer and company to show just what they're made of.

And good luck to Brandon! CougarNation is pulling for you son!

• Becky T West Jordan, Utah
    March 2, 2011 11:42 a.m.

I think it's sad that this young man's private life is being discussed all over the country. I know that every student is required to sign an honor code agreement before they can attend classes at BYU, but I think when the code is broken it should be a private matter for the student. This family is dealing with very personal matters that should be kept personal. I don't think it's fair that because he attends BYU and signed an agreement that he has to deal with the added stress of having his violation announced and discussed. I wish Mr. Davies and his family the best, and I would hope that BYU fans will understand that there is more at stake for this young man and his family right now than the outcome of your basketball season.

• Utah Fan2 Anaheim, CA
    March 2, 2011 11:39 a.m.

These excerpts from one of the articles sum up best what the BYU Honor Code is all about:

"I don't understand Brigham Young. Not the man, not the University, not the religion associated with both... But I understand the BYU mission, and at risk of seeming like a naive kid, I love it... BYU put honor above wins, possibly even above a national championship... and at risk of seeming like a naive kid, I love it."

Good luck BYU.

And Brandon, get your act together, and get back to playing for Coach Rose.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:30 a.m.

It's unfortunate in situations like these that the Utah fanbase is sometimes represented by bloggers such as Chris B and hedgehog.

Please understand BYU fans, that the majority of Utah fans are not like that.

I wish Brandon the best and hope to see him back playing for BYU in the future.

In the meantime, good luck to Cougars in the NCAA tournament.

• meg davies Syracuse, Utah
    March 2, 2011 11:16 a.m.

If you knew this kid personally you'd be impressed- he was adopted by a single mother out of the Streets of Philadelphia- he has been giving every cent of his income to his mother- It has been brought up in a good home and has alot of extended family that will route for him no matter what realm of Life he takes- he has already proved himself above most young men in his place in life-He comes from a good upbringing though may not afford a mission- the calloused comments about 9.5 percent are not called for- he went up against the same temptations that any other 19 year old boy would and that many other students at BYU are doing -sad that this has gone National

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:15 a.m.

I truly feel sorry for you Chris B.

Anyone who takes such delight in the misfortunes of others has serious problems that are not being dealt with.

For BYU, Coach Rose, Brandon, and Jimmer, this may be their finest hour.

A chance to prove that "honor" isn't something they just talk about, but a chance to prove that they truly believe in honoring their commitments.

In that regard, BYU couldn't have finer ambassadors than Coach Rose and Jimmer to respresent what BYU stands for.

Even more remarkable, the courage of Brandon to address his issues in the glare of the national media.

After watching the media circus surrounding Harvey Unga, he knew exactly what was in store when he decided to voluntarily confess his Honor Code violation at this most agonizingly crucial time in BYU basketball history.

I've met and talked with both of these young men, and both of them have exemplified great character in the face of these extremely difficult personal issues.

Good luck Brandon, wherever this fork in the path of life may lead you.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Front Page of ESPN:

"Dream Turns Into Nightmare"

Just as TDS thought they would be nationally relevant - gone.

Congrats on your 1 NCAA win in 20 years - see ya again in 2030.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:56 a.m.

One more thing Crissy, when your as deep as BYU you just plug in the next player and move forward. Another thing that a ute fan would know nothing about....

• williary Kearns, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:45 a.m.

In this case, fame/success is certainly working against BYU and Davies. It's unfortunate that this is being discussed all over ESPN and other outlets. It has to be humiliating to the kid who made a mistake. As a Utah fan, were BYU stuck in a basketball rut like we are, nobody would care about this, and Davies wouldn't be facing the media attention he is.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Your best shot in 20 years to be nationally relevant and..

This will go down as one of the most epic failures of a team in NCAA history.