BYU bastketball: Cougars a No. 1 seed? It's up for debate

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:49 a.m.

With Brandon Davies out, this could be decided before the MWC tournament is done. Too bad, BYU had a nice thing going and I hope they can recover in time to be respectable in both tournaments.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:43 a.m.

From a Ute - Here's to seeing Jimmer make 50 in the Sweet Sixteen. If BYU gets a 1 or 2 seed it is possible to see this in the first few games of the tourney if not the Sweet 16. From the way I see it though, the West is the only #1 bracket without Sunday play, so even if BYU deserves it, they will probably go #2. Not much difference though.
    To the ones that say seed # does not matter as long as you win all your games...wrong. Utah could't get into the Final Four as a low seed because they could not get past Kentucky. When Utah finally got the high seed they didn't lose to Kentucky until the National Championship game.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    March 2, 2011 7:20 a.m.

BYU fans want a real team in a real conference? What have you been doing the past decade? Boise State has been known to make the tournament, and they beat BYU in regular season non-conference play during 2006 and 2007. Utah State beat Ohio State in 2001 in the big dance. We soundly beat BYU in Logan anytime they play at the Spectrum in the past decade, and the trade-off has been losses in Provo.

You do have a point that the WAC is going to be very pathetic once Nevada and Boise State (I omit Fresno because they aren't that good) leave for the MWC. Hopefully Utah State can get in with the MWC. Otherwise, they will be stuck in a dead-end conference with New Mexico State and perhaps Idaho being the only teams we would be concerned about.

Good luck Cougars. Go Aggies!

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    March 1, 2011 11:00 p.m.

Well, there might not be as much debate about this issue going forward now that we have heard the recent news regarding Barndon Davies. The focus now is to make to be selected and then win one game at a time. Regardless of how the Cougars are seated and how the rest of the season progresses, let's take one game at a time. Very disappointing news but there is a bigger picture and now we will see what the Cougars are really made of. Might not be as bad as it looks on paper.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 10:01 p.m.

I am disappointed in the monitoring of comments by Deseret News. To allow so many of the comments I read, including some that are judgmental towards Brandon Davies, but not to allow my comment is just irrational. I in no way denigrated the person making the comment except to suggest he not throw stones at Brandon.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:48 p.m.

With Davies out, it doesn't matter.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 1, 2011 8:49 p.m.

Why don't you check the scores over on ESPN? looks like the big bad Penn State of the Big Ten is getting hammered, yes OSU is the #1 team but wow PSU stinks, Alabama got thrashed by #14 Florida two scary teams there. #24 Missouri lost to Nebraska, so they don't look to be all that good. SDSU is beating up on Wyoming. Yep I'ld say BYU or SDSU could fair pretty well against the likes of these teams from the POWER conferences you've been talking about. Like I said, every conference has top 3 teams that are good, the rest are mediocre. BYU would beat Penn State, Missouri, Alabama, Florida, etc. And would compete against the top teams anywhere.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:22 p.m.

Let's hope they seed based on the year's performance - what you have earned - rather than your current situation. Because BYU just got a lot worse Tuesday night. : (

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 1, 2011 8:20 p.m.

yeah we are the ones that need to get checked, I guess by your logic we shouldn't let half the country play any games at all, let alone get into the tournament cuz they don't play teams in the Big East or ACC.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:10 p.m.

The RPI numbers don't lie, regardless of whether you're willing to accept them, or not.

What you need to do is take off your crimson-colored glasses, or whatever biased color they are, and face facts, not blind opinions.

Yes, of the Top 10 teams, BYU's SOS is second only to Georgetown's SOS.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:18 p.m.

Yankees 27: How interesting that you think the Cougs have a pretty good chance to be in the final four but should not have a #1 seed. Four teams play in the final four, and four teams are #1 seeds. Where is the logic?

That said, it wouldn't be so bad to be a #2 seed. Maybe less pressure, and if we win our games and deserve it, a bit of a chip can be a real motivator.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    March 1, 2011 5:50 p.m.

BYU's Schedule harder than Duke??? G-Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, North Carolina, V Tech, Boston College and other tough non schedule games. HEy look people if your disputing the fact that ACC basketball, Big EAST,SEC basketball is not tougher from top to bottom you need to get checked.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 1, 2011 5:44 p.m.

"The RPI and SOS may be great right now, but #1 seeds should and do go to "historically" good teams that are usually in the top 10, not just One Year Wonders"

Wrong. The tournament is about the teams playing THIS year. It has nothing to do at all with any team from past years. The teams this season are NOT battling the 2009-10 Duke team for the title. They are playing the teams that ONLY exist this season. So past performance means absolutely NOTHING!

Unless you are selecting teams based on name recognition, rather than how good they really are. Too many people fall for that, including the guys in the back room setting up the brackets.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 1, 2011 5:04 p.m.

The RPI and SOS may be great right now, but #1 seeds should and do go to "historically" good teams that are usually in the top 10, not just One Year Wonders. Hey look, I'm a Utah guy and I've been giving lots of credit to the Y this year, but maybe this is a little early to be debating where their seed should be. There is still a fair amount of ball to play, and you wouldn't want to count your chickens before they hatch right? I believe that they are a legitimate Sweet 16 team and a "pretty good" chance at a Final Four, but not a 1 seed. Besides, there is a bigger target on your back as a 1 and who really wants that? Anyway, good luck Cougs (yes it hurts to say that)

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    March 1, 2011 5:01 p.m.

@Chrissy Bee
    I don't actually see BYU getting a no. 1 seed. A 2 is not that much different... and really not being a Doubting Thomas Cougar fan I'll be terrifically happy if they do. As well... I'll also be just as happy if they go on to win more than 3 games in the tournament. If they make it to the elite 8 I'll be just as satisfied. If they go beyond that I'll be estatic. If they should win all the marbles....Well I'll just be hard to live with!!!... especially with my Ohio State and Michigan coworker fans.

Awful lot of big words there Chrissy but based on the total accuracy of your own works it's not hard to see why you would starve to death if you were trying to make a living at prognosticating...so that's why you are probably just a bored entry level blog monitor looking for abusive, offensive, offtopic, misrepresentative, more than 200 words, containing URL's or excessive capital letters

• Serenity Now American Fork, UT
    March 1, 2011 4:52 p.m.

As long as BYU is put in the West and opens in either Denver or Tucson, I don't care if BYU is a 1, 2 or 3 seed. I just hope we don't run into a hot opponent (e.g., Kansas State) in the second round (assuming we hold serve in the first game). I have a hard time seeing us win more than 3-4 games---hope I'm wrong.

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Still awesome that BYU is being discussed as a #1.

Even better that the discussion is bringing in utah fans to the BYU fold.

Look at how diligently some of the utah fans follow the BYU team this year.

There are two particular utah fans that are almost always one of the first 5 posters on EVERY BYU article.

Thanks for always posting about BYU. Even better when you refer to our football team as TDs. We sure do score a lot of them.

Coach Rose and the players have been nothing but class this year.

Keep winning and keep bringing in the fans.

22,000+ is quite a crowd.

Keep it going!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 1, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Okay crowntown,
    Let's just pick the Big 12 then.
    Kansas State is a solid 9-6 team, but after that what have you got? Colorado, Baylor, Missouri, Nebraska, OK State, Iowa State. Texas like I said has lost 3 out of the last 4 games. Yep, the MWC could compete against the POWERHOUSE Big 12!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 1, 2011 4:16 p.m.

If BYU wins out, they will be a #1 seed, especially with Texas' loss on Monday. If BYU loses in the MWC championship game, they'll drop to a #2. If they lose somewhere else along the line (which they won't), they would drop to a #3 or #4.

I really hope BYU gets in the Denver / Anaheim bracket. They will get plenty of fan support along the way.

And if BYU continues to shoot like they did against SDSU, they have a real shot at going to the Final Four.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Gotta love the haters; when all else fails, just predict that BYU will lose early in the NCAA tournament, THAT will certainly prove that BYU doesn't deserve a #1 seed!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 4:11 p.m.

Sorry, epic fail!

What's your credible source that the SEC and the PAC 10 are better than the MWC this season?

As one writer for ESPN said:

"if you think a team from a non-major conference shouldn't be awarded a No. 1 seed on general principle, then go ahead and say it. (Although I dare you to keep a straight face when you say the Mountain West isn't a major conference but the SEC and Pac-10 are.) If you think the Cougars' schedule is weak (it's No. 12 in the country, better than Duke's), then feel free to throw that out there and hope nobody's checking. If you think their RPI isn't sufficient (it's No. 1, by the way), then go for it."

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 4:02 p.m.

The clear message coming from the naysayers is they don't have a valid argument why some other team is more deserving than BYU, the only argument they really have is that they don't want BYU to be a #1 seed because they hate BYU.

BYU #3 AP, #3 Coaches, #3 Sagarin, #6 Pomeroy, #1 RPI
    BYU SOS #11
    BYU record 27-2
    MWC rank 4th or 5th (ahead of the SEC and PAC 10 and in some, the ACC)
    BYU vs Top 25 4-0
    BYU vs Top 50 RPI 9-1
    BYU vs Top 100 RPI 11-2
    BYU bad losses none

Show me another team with a more deserving RPI, SOS, and record.

Just raw numbers, no spin, no names, just line up the records and rankings, and justify your argument.

Remember, RPI is a combination of record and SOS, so no double-dipping saying their RPI should be higher because they played a tougher SOS or played in a tougher conference.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    March 1, 2011 3:58 p.m.

BYU 1 Seed . . 2 Seed Who gives! They will probably get knocked off by Xavier or K-State or something.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 1, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Chris B -- "In fact, if tds gets to the Sweet 16, I will post nothing but accolades to your team, and if you actually were to make the Elite 8, I will in writing apologize for any doubts I may have posted about your team."

Right. . . . . You've already proven in past posts that your word holds no water. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't hold my breath waiting for your praise and apologies. What a joke!

And I hate myself for even responding to such drivel.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    March 1, 2011 3:26 p.m.

Air Force,, Colo St. TCU, Whyoming,Utah, New Mexico, Please tell me as a college basketball fan you are how you can really compare the Mtn West in BASKETBALL to BIG EAST, SEC, ACC, BIG 12, CONF USA and even PAC 10????? Even SDSU is not even the best team in the state but was ranked 6th in the Country??? huh?

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Tried to read the tun troll's lengthy message, but fell asleep after the first line. The Cougars don't need validation from someone who cannot recognize the Coug's accomplishments and has been so consistently wrong.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 1, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Yep, I'ld like to hear it as well. You can't do it though. So keep whining, BYU will just keep winning.
    Take a look at the other conf's except for the Big East, each conference has about 3-4 top teams then fall off after that.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 1, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Chris B,
    Seems quite obvious to me and everyone else that your trite comment is nothing but bogus smoke up the preverbal backside. You and your buddy Hogger have said the same thing in as many different ways its hard to count. I won't post this or that if the kewgs win this or that game and yet here you STILL are!! At least you have been proven wrong so many times that you are starting to see how pointless your hatred and predictions are against BYU and Jimmer.

After watching the game on saturday I was convinced I was watching a top ten team. Put their resume up against any other top ten team in the country and the results prove it. Texas is in a tail spin. OSU and Kansas are tough but have barely won games and lost some as well, Pitt, Purdue, Notre Dame, all good teams but not stellar, Duke has lost games they shouldn't, etc etc. They deserve the ranking and deserve a #1 or #2 seed in my opinion. But hey I don't claim to be an expert. Just an avid sports fan.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    March 1, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Chris B - I think you don't know what the word "rational" means. I think its rational for someone to disagree that BYU deserves a 1 seed, but BYU clearly deserves to be in the discussion.

Previous year's results should not factor into this year's seeding. The power conferences such as the Big East, Big 12, and the ACC didn't prove in the non-conference schedule this season that they are superior to the Mountain West. I'm not aware of BYU or SDSU turning down any of those teams for a game or a home-and-home. The computers generally decide things based on the actual games played without giving the power conference teams head starts based on perceived superiority. Based on the unbiased computers, BYU and SDSU have played schedules similarly difficult to the other teams vying for the 1 seeds.

That's cool that for basketball there's a tournament so all of this discussion influences the actual champion only minimally. But I'm definitely not in favor of conference tournaments.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    March 1, 2011 2:24 p.m.

"BYU plays in a weak conference..."

Based on what, you're own biased opinion?

Cite me ONE credible source that doesn't list the MWC as one of the top 5 or 6 conferences this season!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    March 1, 2011 2:22 p.m.

No BYU fan wants to play USU. They want to play a real team from a real conference.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    March 1, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Chris B--

Careful, you might find your post being re-quoted for you here in a few weeks.

One more for the Jimmer!

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    March 1, 2011 2:18 p.m.

"It doesn't matter what your seed is, you have to beat everyone you play."

That's like saying a #16 seed has just as much chance of winning the NCAA tournament as a #1 seed.

OF COURSE seeding matters, but seeding is not nearly as important as matchups.

That said, avoiding the #1 through #4 seeds as long a possible is the most likely path to making a deep run in the tournament.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    March 1, 2011 2:15 p.m.

@ chris b. What makes you think anyone really cares what you think. Have you really taken yourself soooooo flipping serious? Wow, you obviously read too many of your post. I for one love that you and your buddy so passionately dislike the Cougs. Don't worry, I use to do the same thing towards BSU...but this year it's going to change because I'm tired of them winning all the time. So to your little write up about being sorry....Puhlease, your not worth as much as you think. Hahaha, what a horses muli you are. Hope ur little ootah makes it to the tournament.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    March 1, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Chris B--

Careful, you might find your post being re-quoted for you here in a few weeks.

One more for the Jimmer!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 1, 2011 1:56 p.m.

Where they are today, yes the Cougs are a legit 1-seed. But all this talk is hot air, and we all know it: As a member of a non-Power 6 conference, it all goes south the moment they lose a game.

Keep winning, boys. And a thousand thanks for the "fan-tastic" ride!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    March 1, 2011 1:32 p.m.

#1 Seed??? BYU plays in a weak conference where the only other contender is SDSU who is not even the best team in the state. I see BYU as a 3 seed. Which is a good seed for them.

• itsajelly Walla Walla, WA
    March 1, 2011 1:21 p.m.

I laugh at the people who complain that BYU has not played anyone and their SOS is weak. They are right now #1 3 and 6 RPI??? Not played anyone? Those numbers will take a hit when we play Wyoming as they did when we played Utah. The dregs of the league will pull you down. But that is weak argument. Their schedule is right near the top of the country. Who cares who you schedule if you don't beat them. Gotlieb is an arrogant moron. Can't stand listening to him on the radio and he is worse on TV.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 1, 2011 1:13 p.m.

Did you use this same logic during the football season last year on your ewets? Diddn't think so. They were definitely more overrated than this years BYU basketball team yet you were among those who were touting their National Championship worthiness until the wheels fell off. The facts, mr. b, are that many of the people who's votes matter, the ones who choose which teams get into the tournament and who determine the seeding think BYU is a legitimate 1 seed. If they win out, which will not be easy, they likely will be a 1 seed regardless of your obsessed, "severe dislike" inspired opinion. The rationality of it lies with the above mentioned experts and has nothing to do with BYU fans, although I would guess most agree with the experts. I look forward to your posts later in March.

• stokethefire The Planet, Earth
    March 1, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Thank you Chris, the most reasonable post you have ever made. I have one question though, deep in your heart do you really want to see it all go sour for the Cougars? I do not think this team has a letdown mentality, especially after the lesson learned in the Pit of despair.

After watching them this season do you really root for them to lose? Really??

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 1:06 p.m.

About the time when someone says "no disrespect" you can be sure, someone is about to be disrespected, or when someone says, "it isn't about the money" you can be sure it IS about the money.

Chris B, you crack me up. About the time that you said: "I know I have been the reasoned voice of opposition when it comes to tds (aka, BYU)," we all knew before reading more of your post that you were going to be anything BUT reasonable when it comes to BYU. Haha.

Let me show you how BYU does deserve to be a #1 seed. IF the NCAA selection committee was to select the teams for the NCAA tournament TODAY, they would absolutely have to give BYU a #1 seed for the following reasons:

-RPI is #1
    -Only 2 losses (a decent UCLA team and a loss at one the Top 10 Toughest Places to play)
    -They just beat a #6 team (SDSU) on that team's homecourt and won CONVINCINGLY

Ok, I admit, I'm biased towards BYU as I have degree from there. But, I also have a degree from Utah. Who is reasonable? Yep, me! Haha.

• dutgut Saint George, UT
    March 1, 2011 12:46 p.m.

It doesn't matter what your seed is, you have to beat everyone you play.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    March 1, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Anybody know how the No Sunday thing will factor in this year? I can't find any info on which spots in the bracket lead to Sunday games.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    March 1, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Wherever BYU plays they will not be far from home. When they played TCU in Dallas there were so many BYU fans there it was almost as if it were a home game. BYU brings fans to their games. By the way, the article is about talk among the national sports writers about whether or not BYU deserves a top seed, not about talk among BYU fans. Fans are never objective about that sort of thing no matter what school they support.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    March 1, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Keep winning and the debate will be over.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 1, 2011 12:28 p.m.

If they win out there's no reason they shouldn't get a #1. But there's not much difference between a 1 and 2 seed anyway...

• Madden Herriman, UT
    March 1, 2011 12:10 p.m.

As for that "dubious" streak - would you rather be the team that never makes the tourney? The streak basically says BYU is often very good, but never great. Not surprising. Interesting list...BYU being first with 25, Utah State not far behind at 19.

App. School
    25 BYU
    24 Missouri
    21 Xavier
    19 Alabama, Utah State
    18 Boston College, Tennessee
    17 Miami (OH)
    16 Creighton
    14 Murray State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Weber State
    13 Arizona State, Gonzaga, Pepperdine, UAB
    12 New Mexico, Ohio

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:36 a.m.

It's all about match ups. If not a number 1 seed, then a number 2 seed.
    Then the Cougs need to dance the dance and walk the talk.

I feel quite ill-advised as to how BYU matches up against other teams. My biggest worry is not having Chris Collingsworth. He was a great inside presence and rebounder as well as a reliable offensive threat.

To win the Vegas Invitational, then in the Tourney, BYU will need every player to step up, similar to the SDSU game.

But then again, that is pretty much what we all know: It's either on Jimmer or on everyone else, and I like our odds.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:32 a.m.

I know I have been the reasoned voice of opposition when it comes to tds. And, I know that many cewgs take umbrage at a number of my posts. To show just how reasonable I can be, I have no trouble conceding that tds has a good basketball team this year. Congratulations to you. Seriously. I know it doesn't happen that often, and you should, understandably, enjoy the ride. I will admit, it has taken everyone by surpise. However, you cewgs would gain more ground if you were more circumspect in analyzing the cewgs entire body of work as it stands nationwide. A 3-seed is respectable, a 1-seed is wishful thinking. You can't just jump on the bandwagon, especially when the wheels may fall off any day. A top ten team? Perhaps. But please--there is no rational way anyone can believe you are a number one seed. In fact, if tds gets to the Sweet 16, I will post nothing but accolades to your team, and if you actually were to make the Elite 8, I will in writing apologize for any doubts I may have posted about your team.

• Idaho.Aggie Idaho Falls, ID
    March 1, 2011 11:18 a.m.

I won't surprised if UNLV defeats both SDSU and BYU to win the MWC tournament. Another good reason to leave the MWC is the tournament bias that's well documented for UNLV. Those loses will make BYU and SDSU #3 and #4 seeds and send UNLV in as a #11.

On another note,.it would be nice if USU and BYU have a chance to play each other in the same bracket.