Comments about ‘Exterminator, pest control company plead not guilty’

Return to article »

Case involves deaths of 2 Layton girls

Published: Friday, Feb. 25 2011 12:36 p.m. MST

Comments
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
Sarah B
SLC, UT

I hope they get the maximum. You cannot be careless or casual when dealing with these toxic agents. Time spent reviewing the correct application amounts and procedures would have spared the lives of these precious little girls.

Wilson's callous attitude that "life must go on" really bothers me. Life does go on, but to shrug it off as "oh well, things happen" is so disrespectful. Just because Nocks feels bad, doesn't excuse his irresponsible behavior and his responsibility in the deaths of these children.

The maximum penalty will send a loud and clear message to others in the pest control industry that there is zero tolerance for this type of carelessness.

Sarah B
SLC, UT

From the article

"He's very worn down," Steele said. "It's going to be an exhausting process. He's doing OK right now. There are two children dead and the allegations are that he had a hand in causing that."

Trying to minimize his responsibility by saying that he is "alleged" to have had "a hand in causing" their deaths is so offensive. Is he trying to suggest that someone else may shoulder some of the blame? Why not say it like it is. There are two children dead and the allegations are that he is responsible. The weather, the parents, the emergency responders have zero responsibility, regardless if carbon monoxide sensors were sounding.

I'm sure it's been a tough year for him, but it pales in comparison to the year that Toone's have had to endure. His attorney needs to keep his mouth shut.

Another Perspective
Bountiful, UT

I have failed to follow instructions myself at times. If the instructions merely state "don't do this, do this" then they are partly at fault. Those instructions ought to state "DANGER! don't do this, or this may happen".

Granted this isn't typically done in a professional setting, however given the risk, the "box" ought to be stepped out of.

Sarah B
SLC, UT

A pest control tech ought to know he is dealing with very dangerous and highly toxic materials. If he isn't smart enough to figure that out without the words DANGER being attached to the instructions, he ought to find another profession.

The instructions aren't at fault, it's the human being using the product incorrectly is fully at fault. This attitude is why we have such a sue happy society. Let's blame somebody else for our stupidity. I've read instructions for strollers telling parents to remove child before folding up the stroller. I've seen instructions on blow dryers saying not to use while asleep. True story. Some idiot probably hurt their child or slept with the blow dryer on and then sued, so the companies have to cover their backs.

What ever happened to common sense? Manufacturers can't possible imagine every single stupid scenario that could occur. People need to take more personal responsibility when they fail to read or follow the instructions or just plain do something incredibly stupid.

Nan BW
ELder, CO

I thought the first allegations claimed that the pesticide was over applied by extreme amounts. I guess the news reported that falsely. The family was cleared back into the home also, last chance doctrine you can not blame the pesticide company.

Californian
Santa Ana, CA

$200,000 fine seems like a slap on the wrist after all the Toone family has gone through. Utah laws are too lenient.

Vince
the boonies, mexico

What going on here "AGAIN"? Why are mongrel attorneys let to take cases like this and drag them out for their own profit? Everyone knows a mistake was made and it resulted in 2 deaths, now these thieving attorneys want to drag out responsibility? Just convict, fine, incarcenate and get this story over with for the sake of the family involved and taxpayers please!

to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments