Utah

House frustrated by Senate 'omnibus' immigration bill

Comments

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 26, 2011 12:42 a.m.

@dave4197

Justice is blind my friend. It's not Sandstrom's fault that the majority of illegals are from Mexico. No, that would be the Mexicans fault. By your logic, I could go grab a bunch of my white friends, head on down to the local grocery store and start eating whatever we want from the store shelves. When the cops come and try to arrest us, by your logic, they won't be justified in doing so because they're a bunch of racists for arresting white people. But never mind all that logic nonsense, it's all about compassion. If you were the cop you would just tell me I must've been hungry and let me go, right?
    By the way, how is that whole "compassion' bit playing out in your state? Oh thats right, your state is on the verge of bankruptcy, living on borrowed money and handing out IOU's to it's state employees. Enough said.

• dave4197 Redding, CA
    Feb. 25, 2011 5:47 p.m.

hunt, It's truly ridiculous to try to pitch Sandstrom's bill as anything but anti Mexican, that's the only race / ethnicity he targets. Other assertions (yours, Sandstrom's) get the "truly ridiculous" label. Read again, my friend, the story of "the emporer's new clothes", it'll teach you that Sandstrom and his ilk cannot fool all the people about the truth about of his bill.
    And, hunt, if you still don't see a problem, read my post, and my other numerous posts. Illegal immigration would be called a surge of refugees in other places where people have compassion and realism (unlike you). The problem driving immigration from Mexico, illegal or legal, is poverty, abject poverty, and the Mexicans can almost see our relative opulence when standing on the banks of the Rio Grande. We US and Utah people should quit our selfish foot stomping on the necks of the oppressed, and consider the example of the 2 Germanys working together, and join with Mexico to craft educational and economic reforms.
    meantime, beinvenidos, amigos!
    got more good ideas, later, posters, posers

• Littlebit Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 4:22 p.m.

I don't think I have ever been so angry over the politics in this state. I thought surely, this time, something would be done about illegals. However, it looks like the majority of us in this state are going to continue to be frustrated and angry, and feeling like our voices are being totally drowned out, ignored, and/or twisted (i.e. the Dan Jones poll showing that the majority of Utahns want a guest worker program, which certainly DOESN'T MATCH the opinions of the numerous posts on the DN site nor the people I've talked to).

Re: Hunt 3:28 -- I don't think there is any reasonable answer to the claim that the immigration laws are broken. What I think those who claim that they are broken are saying is that they want a law that either gives amnesty to all the illegals already here, or they want to make the immigration laws so lax that any & all can come here easily at any time with little or no requirements.

• Brer Rabbit Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 3:52 p.m.

In the 20 comments above all favored Rep Sandstrom and what he is trying to do, except for 2. One called Sandstrom and his bill racist, and the other was just praising the Lord.

It looks like the folks are smarter than Sen Bramble and some of the others think they are. Many have figured out that this so called "Guest Worker Program" is designed to continue to flood the Utahlabor market with illegal aliens and thereby depressing wages so low that most Utahns cannot live on these wages. It is all about cheap labor.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 3:28 p.m.

Could someone enlighten me on the claim that our current immigration law is broken? Other than the fact that our federal government is derilict in their duty to enforce it, how is it broken? I keep hearing this claim made but have yet to have anyone making the claim back up the statement with anything resembling fact.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:48 p.m.

@dave4197

Are you kidding me? Sandstrom is in no way trying to deport a single race. He is trying to replace illegal immigrants with legal ones. This is not a race issue and I will continue calling anyone to the carpet who wants to try to make such a ridiculous and insulting assertion.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:25 p.m.

Please everyone we are in a fight here. Please email the Governor and your State Senator. Tell them we want Reps Sandstroms and Herrods bills passed. We want Sens Brambles and Robles bills dropped along with the compact. Fight back now or continue to watch your taxes support the Illegals as many Americans will still be left without a job!

• American Spartan Orem, Utah
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Utah state legislature bumps and stalls while Arizona and Texas, among other states, are already tackling illegal immigration crisis with tough, real teeth bills.

What Utah state really needs is LESS compassion for illegals (as pseudo-conservatives, religious dupes, and liberal enablers tend to scream "compassion") and PUNISHINGLY PUNITIVE laws to reduce and eradicate illegal aliens from Utah state.

Utah cannot and should not be California, the lost state.

• dave4197 Redding, CA
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:13 p.m.

Sandstrom is the definition of intolerant when his bill has the effect of deportation of a single race.
    There are other ways to solve the problem of illegal immigration, 1st among those ways would be to make legal immigration a real possibility within a few months, instead of a blockage that takes up to a decade. The present law / policy is broken and ineffective, Sandstrom mindlessly pursues an existing bad path.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Why has such a simple thing as enforcing immigration laws become so difficult. My family members came here legally from Mexico in the 60's. There was never any choice for us, we followed the law. We knew that if discovered by any government agency, we would be deported.

When those of us that support legal immigration are called intolerant, something is really wrong.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 9:37 a.m.

Two thumbs up to Sandstrom for wanting to introduce a sane guest worker bill. I can't wait to welcome the legal, law abiding immigrants into Utah with open arms.

• We the People Sandy, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 9:33 a.m.

No illegals. No benefits for them, no jobs, nothing. Please leave. We welcome all legal immigrants from any land. Please come and bring your talents and ambition; we only ask you come here legally!

• one man's opinion Provo, Utah
    Feb. 25, 2011 9:24 a.m.

"And they did land upon the shore of the promised land. And when they had set their feet upon the shores of the promised land they bowed themselves down upon the face of the land, and did humble themselves before the Lord, and did shed tears of joy before the Lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over them." Ether 6:12

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 9:23 a.m.

As far as I am Concerned....Herbert, Bramble are DONE representing Utah! Throw the bums out! Impeach Herbert if he doesn't listen to the majority of Utah! Call his office today and complain...

• Dan Walters La Quinta, CA
    Feb. 25, 2011 8:35 a.m.

Illegal immigrants will game the Utah social services network into insolvency. Be careful! Look at California and learn from them. California has lost its future and illegal immigration has played no small part in this tragedy.

• nick Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 8:35 a.m.

My many friends in Provo have been trying to get through to Senator Bramble to urge him to allow an up or down vote on the House immigration enforcement bills. He is ignoring us. I have supported Bramble in the past. I hate to say this, but I am now contacting friends urging them to run against Bramble in the 2012 Republican Primary. I have already heard of three prominent Republicans who are gearing up to run against Bramble.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Seems as though people in the working part of the country do not want illegals. I am not sure why the government who represent us are having such a hard time with this.

Their options seem to be obey the law and force those who are here illegally to leave or else try to dance around the issue. So far they seem to be great dancers.

Those elected are there to figure out hard issues, this one is hard. Do your job.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 3:22 a.m.

Citizens of the state can request ICE audit certain businesses. If enough people request audits of the Salt Lake Chamber business, we might find out why they are so intent on allowing people to break our laws.

A one bill solution kills the entire bill if one section is challenged in court.

Email the Governor.

• Lectori Salutem Beautiful Salt Lake Valley, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2011 10:12 p.m.

I'm anxious to hear about Sandstrom's guest worker bill which would welcome immigrants who are willing to comply with our rule of law but addresses the problem of those who are not. It seems to me that his new bill along with his HB70, Chris Herrod's E-Verify bill strengthened back to how he originally wrote it, and Mayne's I-9 independent contractor bill would be very complementary and actually make a significant dent in the illegal immigration problem. There is a deterrent here as well as a welcome mat for law-abiding immigrants. Sounds like a win/win to me.

I hope our legislators are aware that ICE is going to audit 1,000 companies nationally, including some in Utah. This should encourage them to support Herrod's bill. I would think that employers would be grateful for the E-Verify program even though the Chamber of Commerce opposes it. Makes you wonder why any honest employer would object to using it. Hmm.

• Right or Wrong Happy Valley, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2011 9:33 p.m.

I feel like I've been part of the "silent majority" and that I need to really get involved. Do more than voice my opinion on these comment boards.

I am sick and tired of being told during the campaigns that I would be represented only to see those that get elected "soften" their stance when it really matters. A lie is a lie for what ever reason!

The issue: ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

The solution: Find enough Reps like Sandstrom and Harrod!

Simple things: NO to driving Privilege Cards, No to College benefits, No to a welcome mat for those that disregard the law. VERY SIMPLE.

Whats hard? Finding the truth in many of the media's attempts to persuade the masses. Please DN / KSL, stop giving us the desired result, your desired result!

• Tired Of The Mess Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 8:08 p.m.

I think there may very well be some illegal sympathizing Reps losing their next term. The majority of us are not fooled and it doesn't matter if you have a big R or a big D next to your name, vote the minority line and get what happened last election right here in Utah....We the voters are sick and tired of this mess these law makers delicately side step. Either you are with us, or you get what Bennet and the Libs got.

• Gordonwho Milville, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 7:53 p.m.

CJ

you forgot to add or get voted out next election.

• CJ Murray, UT
    Feb. 24, 2011 7:39 p.m.

What part of "no amnesty" do these guys not understand? They will try to dress it up, put lipstick on it, put a wig on its ugly head, and anything else they can to make it look like its not a pig, but it still is one. They can't pass it on its own so they have to lump it in and try to put one over on everyone. Sorry guys, you think we aren't paying attention? WE ARE! NO AMNESTY for illegals. Do your job and enforce the law and stop the invasion and the looting of taxpayers.