Utah

Utahns would choose Mitt Romney over Jon Huntsman Jr. for president

Comments

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 14, 2011 11:05 a.m.

This poll is not neccesarily as reaveling as it seems. First off, a given number of Utahns would not vote in a Republican primary. They seem to have been included in the survey.

Secojndly, the primary will have more than these two options. So limiting it does not make sense. A more reflective of reality poll would be asking people who they would vote for in the primary. Since we do not know who will actually be on the ballot this might be most accurate. Providing a sample ballot of Ron Paul, Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee, Sam Brownback, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Tim Pawlenty, Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Nikki Haley and Allen West, since the actual ballot will have some number of people listed, might come closest to simulating the actual results. Ommission of any other possible or likely candidates on my part was due to the unclear nature of the race. There are probably others that I should have included and I apologize for the oversight.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Feb. 14, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Don't waste your run on the White House Jon. Come back to Utah, unseat Orrin Hatch, then look to 2016 if you want to run for President. Come back and save us from another Mike Lee/Jason Chaffitz getting to represent the state for 6 years.

• Paul H West Valley, UT
    Feb. 14, 2011 8:02 a.m.

Maybe Huckabee should team up with Palin. They'd be at 6% in Utah.
    This poll is so meaningless. It's taken in Utah with 2 Utah "favorite sons" in the poll.
    Take the same poll in Alaska or Arkansas and you'd reverse the results.
    Take this poll nationwide and you'd get a better picture... But, due to the skewing effect of the Republicans Primary / Convention system they will never find out which candidate is the strongest and they will lose the presidential race of 2012.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Feb. 14, 2011 6:16 a.m.

Go Mitt!

• Larry Willard, UT
    Feb. 14, 2011 4:03 a.m.

Deseret News would have you believe this, One must make up your own mind and both of these men are not suited for the office.

• Common Sense Says Enid, OK
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Romney:

- Valedictorian at BYU

- Baker's scholar at Harvard (go look it up)

- Master's degrees in business and law

- Enormously successful in private business and now worth between $200 and $300 million (compare this to many of Obama's closest advisers who have never had to turn a profit or go hungry)

- Previous executive leadership experience as a state governor, including Massachusetts' Commander In Chief of state military forces

- Put aside partisanship prejudices/trash-talk by successfully campaigning/winning the governor's seat as a Republican in a heavily Democrat-controlled state LONG before Scott Brown

- Turned a loss into one of the few profit-earning Olympics (Salt Lake) in 2002

- Turned Massachusetts' budget from red to black while governor

- Volunteer service to community as a church leader for well over 5 years (Bishop and Stake President)

- Would give ALL his Presidential salary ($1.6 million total) back to the American taxpayers if elected (yes, he's on record as committing to this)

- Looks, talks and acts "Presidential"

- Understands committment (never divorced)

- Understands morality (never had an affair)

- Understands family (5 kids)

- Willing to let all of America see his birth and school records.

He's what we need.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Romney is clearly the best candidate for President given the challenges we face today.... He has proven his skill and ability financially in bothe the Private and Public Sector (in fact he's proven it three times); He's spot on with his positions on Energy, Foreign Affairs and yes, even Healthcare; and, he is right on the money with his position on Social Issues... Huntsman or Obama aren't anywhere close to Romney in pure qualifications.

The Huntsman family have a good reputation (particularly the father), But I can't accept Junior's poistions on several social issues and he has yet to prove that he knows how to effectively function in trying situations.

• windsor City, Ut
    Feb. 13, 2011 8:53 p.m.

Both Romney and Huntsman could sink their entire fortunes in this...

But the far right Evangelical and Southern Republicans will never, REPEAT NEVER, vote for a Mormon. EVER.
    \
    Their desire to hang on to their deep Mormon phobia will outweigh any other thing.

They would happily vote for Obama for a second term, rather than vote for a Mormon.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 7:30 p.m.

GWB What does where they served missions have to do do with anything? Huntsman learned chinese in Taiwan and it benefited him. As far as France are you saying because they are socialists they don't deserve to hear the gospel. Romney was a great leader in France, serving as assistant when the mission president's wife was killed and the president injured in auto accident and had to return to the states. My understanding was he was acting President for a time.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Feb. 13, 2011 7:05 p.m.

I'd like to know:

Mitt Romney VS Ron Paul?

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Feb. 13, 2011 7:01 p.m.

Huntsman should be pleased, then. Because having Utah voters dislike you seems to be a positive thing in the end game.

• thelogicalone salt lake city, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 6:26 p.m.

forget the article, forget the polls, forget the comments. The picture says it all.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 13, 2011 6:21 p.m.

That's great! Now...how's he going to do in Iowa? South Carolina?

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 5:52 p.m.

I wouldn't vote for Romney or Huckabee, or Chaffetz. All three are non-starters for politicians.
    I would prefer that Huntsman run against Hatch. I would for for Jon Huntsman over Orrin Hatch all day long. Huckabee is a joke, Romney is an empty suit and no, he did not "save the Olympics", and he was a prima donna during the Olympics and did use foul language at a volunteer when he didn't get his way. Not something I "like" in any politician, Romney isn't a class act at all. Not sure for whom I will vote for in a Primary race here. It won't be for the current occupant of the White House, whom I believe is not intelligent nor anything remotely resembling a "centrist". Probably a good community organizer though.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Hmmm Romney or Huntsman?? I like my own horse and will stay with the guy that's bringing it back. Obama is my man.

Can't trust the party of NO!!!

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 5:06 p.m.

I don't know whether Romney can solve our problems, but I know Huntsman would comtinue the Obama agenda. I believe he is running more to block Romney (there is much animosity there) than to be President.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 4:41 p.m.

Silver spoons in the mouth...

No contact with middle Americans

Out of touch with the working man....

I'm wary of both...

But I'd pick Romney over Huntsman.

I don't think Huntsman has actually "worked" a day in his life????

Anyone know? Has he EVER had a callous? Or are his hands soft like a little girl?

Or are we just looking for another rich elite to tell the working man what to do...and how much to pay.

Can we not get a working man in this great office?

• AT Prospect, KY
    Feb. 13, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Not much of a choice, is it? Romney - supporter of Romney care in MA, the guy that would refer to his "lawyers" about torture, and flip-flopper in the extreme.

Then you have Huntsman. He's been a governor too. But, really, a leader?

Would either of these guys make a difference? They're both part of the War Party, Establishment Party, Republicrat, whatever you want to call them (think about it, the Republicans and Democrats are really just two wings of the same party). If you want more of the same, you could vote for either of them - don't expect much to change.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 4:24 p.m.

The issue of Mormonism is not as critical nationally as one would think. Most Republicans would rather have Romney for President than Barack Obama and the same goes with Independents. The economy is the major issue in this coming election and Romney represents the best hope for turning the economy around. Huntsman is not a true fiscal conservative and is squishy on social issues. He will be torched in the primaries and be out in a month. Romney will win the nomination and go on to beat Barack Obama.

• Chachi Charlottesville, VA
    Feb. 13, 2011 4:22 p.m.

It's seen as a political necessity to be a "man(or woman) of the people." People want to vote for an average guy.

That is stupid. Average people are incapable of running world superpowers. We need not an average guy, but an extraordinary achiever, capable of not only running but of rescuing our country from decades of attempting to spend its way out of debt.

• jorge Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 13, 2011 4:00 p.m.

I'm sure we are all hopeful that our newspapers will avoid serving their readers over-skewed political 'articles' in the future.

• Oh, please! Saint George, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Furry1993 said: Huntsman has proved that he would take positions that are right, regardless the consequences.

I don't think Huntsman is right. I find civil unions disgusting (to say the least), I don't think we should hand over citizenship on a silver platter to illegals, and I don't believe that we are suffering from global warming. AND I bet there are a lot of people in this state and country who agree with me!

The consequences of the above-named Huntsman positions are, respectively: a breakdown of our society because of the devastation of the traditional, God-mandated family unit; weakening of our country and laws so severely that as a nation we may not survive; and a tremendous amount of time and money spent chasing stupid theories.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 2:41 p.m.

I don't think this poll is valid.

In order to be valid, they would have to ask whether they prefer Mitt Romney packing a H&R Model 1 .38 Caliber, spur trigger single action revolver

or

Jon Huntsman packing a Browning M1911 single-action, semi-automatic, .45 ACP handgun.

Only then can you tell who is the more patriotic candidate!

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 2:04 p.m.

It is highly unlikely that either of these Mormon gentleman could be elected to the presidency. Mr. Huntsman would have the better chance of the two but the reality is that Mormonism is too far out of step with general American thought and people would fear the extremeism and vote for an alternative.

• RBrothers Tilton, NH
    Feb. 13, 2011 2:00 p.m.

The question of who(between Jon Huntsman Jr. and Mitt Romney) would win the UT Republican Primary is moot. If Jon Huntsman enters the race(and I hope he does)he would soundly defeat Mitt Romney in the New Hampshire Primary. If Mitt Romney is unable to win NH a state where he owns a home, and was Governor of a border state, his race is over. I am a former State Legislator, and Republican Activist, and I have met both J Huntsman and M Romney. Jon Huntsman is more qualified to be president than any candidate I have known. Mitt Romney has nice teeth.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Johnathan Eddy in Payson - the answer to your question is NO!

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Wouldnt it be great to have a brilliant business mind in the white house during these tough times?

Instead we have....

"The solution to our growing debt and economic problems is for me to spend and restribute more of your money."

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Personally I'm not nuts about either of them, but even less convinced Huntsman is actually a real person in there. If I had to choose, I'd vote for Mitt over Huntsman in a blink.

Neither one of them is conservative enough. I don't know that either of them has the guts to really do what needs to be done in this country without fretting over the political backdraft from every decision.

I used to think Ron Paul was kooky, but he's the only one with the conservative guts and fortitude to actually make the dramatic changes necessary.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 1:13 p.m.

Utahns have a long tradition of enjoying being lied to. That's why they don't like Huntsman.

Also, I think a poll between ice cream and beer might have some suprising results for you.

• BBLVR Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Only Utah would choose a flip-flopper like Romney than a man of integrity & conviction like Huntsman. He was the the best Governor for Utah at the time until Oprah's boy took over & took him. This Utah democrat would vote for Huntsman for President of the United States in a heart beat.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 11:05 a.m.

As an active member of the Utah predominate religion I'm not keen on either of these candidates. I would definetly choose Mitt or Jon but their has to be someone better.

• phgreek Hooper, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 11:04 a.m.

...I like Huntsman. I think if he runs, he clobbers Romney in the arena of debates...Romney is not going to survive his little health care experiment in MA.

Run John...Run....

• madmilker Possum Hollow, AR
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:43 a.m.

A person would have to be three sheets in the wind and a sandwich short of a picnic to vote for either. America was $2.6 billion in debt in 1910 and they ask those Harvard grads for help..today America is over $14 trillion in debt and you people are still asking those same type of people for help...duh!

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:30 a.m.

These poll results don't surprise me. My impression is that Mr. Romney has accomplished much on his own, and did so mostly without his father's name or reputation. He is well educated and has a proven record as a manager.

On the other hand, Mr. Huntsman has little to show for his own efforts. All his accomplishments are due to his father's financial influence and donations to political parties.

I don't know who I will vote for when the next election comes around, but I'm sure I will be most impressed by candidates who are self-made.

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:25 a.m.

Jonathan Eddy,
    That could be the greatest post Ive ever read! You are a patriot.

I am a husband and a father of two. I am in graduate school to become a special education teacher for children with severe disabilities. I Love the constitution and individual Liberty. My name is Spencer Sloan, I support Ron Paul for President and I'm a Mormon.

• La Tortuga Murray, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 10:09 a.m.

If anyone thought a centrist was going to be more popular than someone (recently) holding hardline conservative views in the Uber-Conservative State of Utah, you'd be up in the night. While we are at it, lets poll our state for "which do you prefer: ice cream or beer?" It would probably have equally compelling results.

I don't think either makes it through the primary, but I give Romney a much better chance of doing so. However, I don't think Romney can win the general election. Huntsman would have a shot at the general election by capturing a size-able chunk of independents with a Libertarian slant (such as myself), but he is too moderate to ever make it through the primary.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:57 a.m.

To Jonathan Eddy | 7:41 a.m. Feb. 13, 2011

"What do I want? I want someone who can restore sanity back to America. Mr. Romney or Mr. Huntsman, are you that man? "

For Jon Huntsman, the answer to your question is "Yes." For Romney, it is "no" -- all we would get with Romney is politics as usual. Huntsman has proved that he would take positions that are right, regardless the consequences. Romney has proved that he just a politician, saying what is necessary to get elected.

• LeonardL Midvale, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:54 a.m.

This is for all you Romney bashers. This is what the latest polls are showing.

Mitt Romney leads President Obama by two points, 44-42 percent, in the latest Rasmussen Reports national survey of voter preference for the 2012 presidential campaign. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee is in a dead heat with Obama, with both drawing 43 percent.

Romney has my vote, but Huntsman Jr would be a great running mate For Mitt.

• muzzyrudd Gadsden, Alabama
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:43 a.m.

They both sound good as Republican candidates for president if we must maintain a two party system. Some of us here in Alabama are hoping to see a moderate win the Republican nomination. It would be good for the south and the country.

• LeonardL Midvale, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Likely Republican presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee could beat Pres. Obama according to a series of polls conducted by Rasmussen. The results of the polls, released on Sunday, show Romney leading Obama 44 percent to 42 percent, and Huckabee drawing even at 43 percent. However, other Republican contenders do not fair as well: Sarah Palin trails Obama by 11 points, 49 percent to 38 percent, and Newt Gingrich trails by 8 points, 47 percent to 39 percent. Other potential candidates with lower name recognition trail Obama anywhere from 10 percent (Jon Huntsman Jr.) to 17 percent (Haley Barbour.) Pollster Scott Rasmussen writes, The most significant finding is that regardless of what GOP candidate is named, the president earns between 42 percent and 49 percent. This suggests the campaign is starting off in a fairly competitive environment, though much can change in the next year-and-a-half. A January 24 Rasmussen poll surveying the possible Republican primary field showed Mitt Romney leading the pack with 24 percent, followed by Palin with 19 percent, Huckabee with 17 percent, and Gingrich with 11 percent

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    Feb. 13, 2011 9:18 a.m.

fanc246 makes a good point, how about a poll between Huntsman, and Romney, in Massachusetts.

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Feb. 13, 2011 8:47 a.m.

I would 100% choose Romney over Huntsman.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Just more proof that Utahns simply aren't very smart.

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Senator Huntsman sounds nice.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 7:41 a.m.

I don't want a "Mormon" in the White House.
    I want a statesman.

I don't want a Republican.
    I want a Constitutionalist.

I don't want a Democrat.
    I want a man or woman who can audit the Fed.

I don't want a "diplomat" that directs nations.
    I want a fearless fighter for peace.

I don't want a great orator with shiny teeth.
    I want a ordinary citizen that can resurrect US manufacturing.

I don't want my president to base decisions on public opinion.
    I want my president to obey the law.

I don't want a world traveler.
    I want someone who can stay put and clean house.

I don't want a corporate directed puppet.
    I want a man/woman of the people, for the people and by the people.

What do I want? I want someone who can restore sanity back to America.
    Mr. Romney or Mr. Huntsman, are you that man?

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Feb. 13, 2011 7:36 a.m.

Mitt/Jimmer 2012

• fran246 West Roxbury, MA
    Feb. 13, 2011 6:47 a.m.

It might be said that Massachusetts is the place that knows Romney best, and we would sooner vote for (insert favorite Disney character here) than Romney again, after having had him as Governor.

• CJ Murray, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 6:32 a.m.

Is anyone surprised? Huntsman is basically " hope and change lite". He is a Democrat in all but name.

• silas brill Heber, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 6:12 a.m.

And so it is. People who call certain Republicans "RINO" cannot comprehend that America isn't Republican, just as it isn't Democrat. America is in the middle. The wingnuts who run the Republican party can't look beyond the primaries to a general election. Huntsman could win a general, IMO. Not Romney. Are your objections to Jon Huntsman really that significant?

• GWB West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 5:16 a.m.

Of course they would.

They prefer people who held a pro-choice position when running for/and serving as Governor and who thought Individual Mandates in healthcare reform was such a great idea that he inserted it into his reform bill while Governor.

Support for Individual mandates and women's choice are the backbone of Utah politics so Utahns are sure to prefer Romnney over Huntsman.

In the end, they are two men who were born to rich families and who never had to worry about pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.

Mitt's dad was chariman of American Motors and went to Cranbroke Prep school and Harvard. He served a mission in Socialist France.

Huntsman's dad was Owner of Huntsman Chemical and he went to the University of Pennsylvania and served a mission to Taiwan.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 4:45 a.m.

Huntsman, at least, won't be caught being a phony. But neither one of these guys are going to move into the White house in January, 2013.

• bmg4307 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 3:45 a.m.

Who cares.. Mitt Romney won't even be the elected Republican candidate and neither will Jon Huntsman.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2011 11:33 p.m.

Huntsman for President was a nice thought for the Huntsman Family but a bit of a stretch for the rest of us......John Sr has the credentials but Jr frankly leaves alot to be desired! He is afterall a McCain RINO!