BYU basketball: Student letter about Fredette gets to national media attention

• Max Syracuse, NY
    Feb. 11, 2011 4:46 a.m.

Well said, young lady. I am a big sports fan but I too get nauseated when the hero worship boils over.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I think using religion to make a point is acceptable, but it normally works better when you use "we" and not "you". If you admit to being a basketball fan and call in question what is going on that is one thing, if you just attack basketball it is another.

One can ignore basketball even more easily than football. It is played indoors without a full marching band and without the broadcast system to everywhere, so unless you are in the Marriott Center it can be annoying.

I once wrote a letter advocating the end of the BYU football program. It was before the days of facebook, so I only got a few emails against it. As it was it was during the time of accusations of rape against multiple team members 9which they denied), accusations of rape that were retracted down to consensual sex a few months before and a general time of lack of good discipline that characterized Mendenhall's predecessors time.

I would say some of the comments here are disturbingly mysoginistic.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:54 p.m.

Mr. Lambert of Michigan, I fear that the same inhibitions that prevent you from seeing the fun and humor in the Jimmer situation might also cause you to believe that having ham and funeral potatoes at every ward function is something to get excited about (but not too excited. we wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong impression). Live a little, man. Have a Jimmertastic day!

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Feb. 10, 2011 2:43 p.m.

I would say that while the letter was not the wisest piece of work, the decision by some individuals to use it as an excuse to harrass this lady was 100% unacceptable.

I also think many of the pro-Jimmer people have gone too far. Moderation is a good thing, and these people are not exemplifying it. Most of us have seen too many sports heroes fall to see the rise of a new one without wondering if people are going to suffer more. All I have to say is Tiger Woods.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:34 a.m.

This reminds of of when I was attending the Y back in the late 90s. Back then, they used to show edited movies at the Wilkinson Center. Me and my roomates went and saw "Air Force One" with Harrison Ford one night and had a blast. Of course the swear words were edited out along with the majority of blood, same as watching it on TV. Of course about two days later this girl writes in to the Daily Universe and chastizes everyone who went to see the movie and went on to elaborate about how much more righteous she was than everyone else (along with the typical scriptural references). So times obviously haven't changed, unfortunately there are those of us who take ourselves a little too seriously.

P.S. I heard that Jimmer taught Chuck Norris how to slam a revolving door.

P.S.S. And yes, I was one of the Cougars who did "Cut corners" while walking to class.

• AggieNation St.George, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:12 a.m.

This whole situation is hilarious. The fact that there are students at BYU who make their points based on scripture is just plain silly. Religion is a very personal thing and to rebuke using religion is just sad. Glad I chose not to attend BYU.

That said, don't let this naysayer get you down Cougs. Jimmer is pretty awesome. Good luck in the tourney.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Wow, the letter writer is one chick I'd never marry....

• custer Boise, ID
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:17 a.m.

If Michelle reads the Feb 5th "Church News" - she will see the cover story is on Jimmer, with a full front page photo of Fredette in action. The inside article on pg 11, is headlined with: "Jimmermania-drawing attention to the Church".

Michelle: This is a good thing, not bad. Read the article. The "Church News" of course, is an official publication of the Church.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:05 a.m.

I, too, recall many articles like this in the student paper. Don't you love the first amendment when it is tied to religion? In my opinion, this is a case of taking one's self too seriously. My goal in life is to take my religion very seriously and try not to take myself seriously.

Screaming my brains out in the MC sounds like good clean fun. For BYU, seasons like this have come along about once every 30 years, so I say enjoy every minute of Jimmermania.

• pat1 Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 7:00 a.m.

He's a great basketball player. Let him have his day in the sun. This is no different than how people have felt about Donny Osmond or the Browns, or Greg Olson anyone else who does a good job at their profession and happens to be LDS. The girl who wrote the letter has a right to not be crazy about sports, but she is being judgmental about what others enjoy. Lighten up!

• Neanderthal SLC, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:35 p.m.

She's jealous of all her friends' attention directed at Jimmer rather than her.

Very common response with young egocentric females.

• Neanderthal SLC, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:27 p.m.

"let me live my own dreams in peace, even if they don't include ever sitting in the Marriott Center screaming my brains out."

I suggest you go to the library, get a book and find a nice sofa in a quite corner. Or, if you play the piano, go to a practice room, close the door, and play your heart out.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:09 p.m.

How much do you want to bet she is totally in love with David Archuleta.

• C92599 Orem, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 6:16 p.m.

Seriously? Idol worship?? Can a highly talented athlete not have fans? Not hardly idol worship.

I can't find in the scriptures where it says "If you find something enjoyable and you take a liking to it, it's idol worship." Ok, she doesn't like sports. Well, there are many who do and are excited to have such talent that has been absent for so many years.

I'll admit, a few take BYU sports and Jimmermania to extremes. But they can be ignored. Maybe this complainer should stop worshiping the things in life that bring her a little bit of enjoyment as well.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Awesome postings, gotta love it. There are some people that are just way to serious. Live a little and enjoy life.......or just go get one. Go Jimmer

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:41 p.m.

Hawk | 7:30 a.m.
    Littleton, CO
    So, for those of us going to tonight's game, a question regarding fan etiquette: Are we to cheer as Jimmer and co. enter Clune arena, or bow down in silent, humble reverence to the force that is The Jimmer??

Do what feels right.

Follow the spirit of the Jimmer...

Ya know, folk hero's are a part of "Americana".

Jimmer, enjoy the ride.

No one out of this state has ever grabbed the spotlight that you have...

It's just basketball, and there have been greater causes...

However, it is a fun ride...

I know Utah fans who have wanted Jimmer to get hurt... I can't imagine why? Jimmer, through association has given the U relevance... Something they did not accomplish at the San Diego Beaches yesterday.

Tonight, Jimmer is bigger than Chris B, Hedge, Uteology, Utahcountyute, Naval, and Ainge, Bogut, Detmer, Young, Huntsman, and Mitt all combined.

Tomorrow may be a different story, but tonight, it is the Jimmer show.

And the reasoning behind going independent, and having a national following is to "spread the love"...
    BTW, Buster, good to see you...

I am you. I feel proud.

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:32 p.m.

I don't know if it has been mentioned or not but you might want to Google An Olive Branch for a fantastic video!!!

@Mt Olympus: you are too "high" up there...come down and get some oxygen and lighten up on things missionary.

Do you realize how much attention Jimmer is bring the LDS church through what he is doing? Must be nice to be able to judge everyone and their choices that you don't agree with....pffft!

• H-man Shreveport, LA
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:20 p.m.

Hey Brettski2024!
    Did you notice that the girl who wrote the letter and started the whole thing is from Apple Valley, . . . wait for it . . . CALIFORNIA, as in your current state of residence. You can bag on BYU and Provo culture all you want, but you at least ought to realize that the girl who got the ball rolling is not a Provoan or a Utahn, but a Californian! Maybe I should paint with a broad brush too and label all Californians as narrow-minded and embarrassing.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:12 p.m.

Now this would be the ultimate BYU/Utah game on Saturday:

- Glenn Beck gives pre-game motivational speech to crowd
    - David Archuleta sings the national anthem
    - Jon Heder is the public address announcer
    - Jimmer hits 50
    - BYU wins by 50
    - Crowd storms court to lift Jimmer and Michelle on their shoulders

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Can you imagine what it will be like if Jimmer drops 50 in a NCAA tournament game? Michelle will really have something to write about then.

Suddenly I find myself cheering for the Cougars. (of course not against the Utes though). Thanks Michelle.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    Feb. 9, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Often, when a guy writes a letter like that, it's because he is jealous, or feels his manhood, or status, is threatened by the person all the fuss is being made about.

When a girl writes a letter like that, it's often because she resents the fact that the guy is getting so much attention from other fellows, especially the one(s) she would like to be getting some of that attention from.....Just sayin'.....

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 9, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Oh man I hope Jake Heaps turns out to be this good. I think BYU should contact Chuck Norris to do some sort of promotional ad. Oh wait, Chuck Norris is an evangelical Mike Huckabee supporter. He probably hates Mormons. Ha!

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 2:59 p.m.

for front row seats I'll change my name to Michelle, put on a wig and laugh with the rest of the world

• Zed Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Great comments on here, generally speaking. I agree with those who have already so eloquently responded to Brettski. I'm not sure what your exposure to BYU has been to draw the conclusion that "this is why no one can stand BYU".

First off, the exposure for BYU from this incident has been universally positive. Secondly, having both graduated brom BYU and then serving as Bishop there, I can tell you firsthand that the caliber of kids going there is off the charts. About 90% of the time, I would have been honored to have these students as my own children. About five percent get carried away with overzealous religiosity, and the other five percent spend all their time figuring out how to break the honor code. They are not representative of the rank & file.

The middle 90% are incredibly funny, bright, diverse, creative, fantastic people. You need to get a new perspective that's more accurate. As Abe Lincoln said, "If you look for the worst in people, expecting to find it, you surely will."

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 2:40 p.m.

*front row seats

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 2:17 p.m.

I just heard that the BYUFrontRowFanatics who offered the Olive Branch to Michelle, have sweetened the offer to row seats to the Utah game for her and her husband. ESPN will be standing by to interview her.

So whadya say, Michelle? Live a little.

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Teen-age precious girl...

"I'm daddy's girl. This year should all be about me, me, me...

The boys all like him more than me...

It's all just wrong...

(what, Jimmer just said hi to me?!?!)

Jimmer is just dreamy..."

Seriously, David Archuletta, Justin Bieber. What's the matter with someone a guy can get a "mancrush" on.

• Chris_B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Hi, my name is Chris. And I'm a Jimmerholic...

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Umm . . Whoa Nellie, I think you got the wrong idea. I was pointing out the author of the holier-than-thou Billy Joel LETTER to the DU is not a "typical" BYU fan. I wasn't commenting on Duckhunter's post, who apparently feels the same way I do about it.

A LETTER is not the same as POST.

• TexasAg Humble, TX
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Represent Blue,

thank you. Exactly what I thought. It might have been intended to be funny, but in reality it's not. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

• Sage Advice Cedar Hills, utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:53 p.m.

You know it's a women's letter when they try and relate sports and religion twice... haha well i guess this is a situation of haters will hate! oh well she's missin out, i kinda feel bad for her, she doesn't know what she's missing!

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:50 p.m.

It's easy to avoid Jimmermania.

Just barricade yourself in the basement with a good book until March Madness is over.

• AribaD Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:34 p.m.

It's news because it is nice to get a lighthearted break from suicide bombers and missing kids and Lohan stealing jewelery, etc. Get a sense of humor.

• gramma b Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:18 p.m.

Even this old lady can see that it is fun to watch Jimmer play. And that fact that he is an exemplary young man makes it even more fun. To all of those who are wringing their hands over the supposed "idolization" of Jimmer, what is it about good, clean fun that gets you so uptight?

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Anytime fans develop great expectations, there's often great disappointment, at least at some level, since only one team or player can reach the pinacle of the sport each year.

But, that's what makes sports so interesting and so exciting -- the anticipation of what's possible.

Jimmer Mania is no different than the excitement that surrounded Danny Ainge, except for the vast array of social media that's available today that allows fans and the media to interact almost instantaneously.

Most of the responses from the BYU students to Michelle were simply good natured fun -- some perhaps a little sacriligious because they used scriptural references in response to Michelle's scriptural references, but they were simply meant to be humorous, not disrespectful to the Lord, or to anyone's religious beliefs.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:49 p.m.

I agree that some fans are taking "Jimmer-mania" a little too far. First of all - his biggest games are still ahead of him so a lot of this idolizing of him is premature. BYU fans do tend to like setting themselves up for disappointment. But more importantly - anytime you start replacing the Lord's name with Jimmer, even in jest, you have crossed the line, especially when the phrase is pulled from the scriptures. Come on fellow Cougar fans. Lets keep it real. Enjoy the Jimmer Show, but don't turn the kid into a golden calf. I am sure he doesn't appreciate it.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:49 p.m.

"Anyone who thinks this girl is not like many of the students in Provo should peruse the opinion section of the school paper..."

Having attended BYU, and graduated from Utah, and having lived in Walnut Creek, Salt Lake City, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. and associated with LDS and non-LDS BYU students from across the country, I can tell you from years of experience, that anybody who believes that the opinion section of the Daily Universe represents the main stream culture of BYU students is clueless about the real BYU culture.

BYU students, for the most part, are happy, fun-loving, intelligent, deeply religious, passionate, and caring people, who's greatest desire is helping to make the world a better place.

Like the Savior, they are often puzzled why so many people, especially people who shares their beliefs, hate them, despite their pure intentions.

It is quite amazing that some Utah fans are so hateful of BYU and the "Provo" culture. Sports, are afterall, only a game.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Too funny! This is the most riciculous thing I have read in years. WHY is this news? Just like lawyers, there are way too many media members in this country.
    Leave the girl alone! She is entitled to her opinion and she is entitled to write a letter about. If we can stomach people like the no-class bums that constantly offer garbage on every BYU article that the DN posts we can surely laugh this off and say "to each his/ her own". I love BYU sports including Bball but even I am a little tired of seeing 3 or 4 new articles about Jimmer every day. Our society has reached a point that it believes that nothing can be overdone. If a tv show is a hit there are 15 copycat shows the next year. If one article on Jimmer is good then 10 must be 10 times as good.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Who the heck are any of us to question whether he went on a mission or not?? Who in the heck are we to say whether he is a better missionary than you or I were?? Let us each live our lives the best we can and quit judging each other! Absolutely amazing!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:38 p.m.

How special is this? Seriously, when you can get coach Edwards, Chad Lewis and Shawn Bradley to pimp a song about Jimmer, you know this has to be something special.

Let's have fun while it lasts cause next season will come around all too quickly. Will be tough to top what's happening this year.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:30 p.m.

Jimmer may not have gone on a mission. (Maybe he can go on one later like Steve Young).

But neither did he have to go to BYU. He would be just as big of a sensation at some other school....and the fact that he is an active Latter Day Saint would have be just a minor by-line.

As long as he keeps his standards, he will be a force for good. That makes him a pretty fantastic, positive LDS story....whether you are a fan of the game or not.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Lighten up!

Most of the responses from the students were simply creative, good natured fun.

Yes, there are a lot of BYU students who are like the girl who wrote the letter, but they represent only a small minority of BYU students and the majority of students simply shake their heads in disbelief at the small-mindedness of some of their fellow students.

To paint the entire culture of BYU with such a broad brush simply shows that you, like so many BYU haters, don't have a clue how diverse the BYU culture really is.

• onebigdaddy Dillon, CO
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:05 p.m.

I live in Colorado in the mountains and I have people all the time coming up to me who know that I am LDS and saying something about Jimmer & the church and it is never negative.
    There is a friend from up-state New York who always asks me, how the heck did Jimmer get away from the Big East & the ACC - Jimmer should be playing for Jim Boeheim at Syracuse and they would then definitely be in the final four at the big-dance & win-it-all.
    When I again remind him that Jimmer is an active MORMON as is Danny Ainge & Steve Young & they all went to BYU because they wanted to be among those who believe as they do, plus be able to be involved in their sport of choice. The eastern schools did not have a chance.
    My NY friend said that really makes sense but he still wishes that Jimmer was doing the same thing at Syracuse as do lots of other college coaches, wish that they had a jammer or a Jimmer.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:01 p.m.

Relax brettski. The whole thing is fun and clever and if you'd bother to look online you would find the exact opposite of what you contend. The national media types think the students reactions are hilarious and are putting up comments about them, quoting them, all over the internet. I have seen nothing but praise for how the "other" students have responded to it.

Really these "people that can't stand BYU or the culture in Provo" are ute fans and maybe some of the fans of the schools in the mwc that BYU has been pounding on for the last several decades. We understand you guys are haters and we understand why, but that is not the case with the majority of the country. The rest of the country is having a good time with Jimmermania, just like BYU students and fans, it is only but hurt and attention starved ute "fans" that dislike it.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:53 a.m.

Jimmer who?

Go White, Go Blue
    Go Jimmer, Go crew!

She'll worship, too.
    When past round two.

• BaldHobbit Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:47 a.m.

Someone mentioned the "Cougars Don't Cut Corners" issue of the late 1990's . . . .

Cougars Don't Cut Jimmer!!!!

• Brettski2024 Concord, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:31 a.m.

This is why people can't stand BYU or the culture in Provo. Ugh. I'm LDS and this stuff makes me cringe. Not only is the writer of the letter completely crazy (as are most of the writers to the BYU newspaper) but the other student's response just goes to show that the campus IS their world....

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:22 a.m.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men . . . For Jimmer is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost cougar fans . . . And Jimmer will strike down upon San Diego with great vengeance and those who attempt to poison and destroy my blue brothers." Jimmerzekiel 25:17

• Buster Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Uman | 10:26 a.m. Feb. 9, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Let's face it Zoobs can't brag about their football team this past year but they do have a Jimmer to brag about. What would they do if both were bad? They might have to rely on their religion, and brag about that as usual.

Why use the example of the Ute Athletic Program to bag on a religous belief system?

Enjoy life.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 11:00 a.m.

It's nice to see that most of the BYU students had a sense of humor in responding to Michelle. I hope she accepts the video offer.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:56 a.m.

So proud of this great, totally normal culture we have here.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Feeling a little insecure there bro?

Feel free to hop on the Jimmer bandwagon. The wheels fell off the Boylen bus a long time ago.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:35 a.m.

You must still live in the stone age and I didn't know that you have internet! LOL

And yes she got JIMMERED!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:35 a.m.

"Seriously, someone should buy this girl a ticket and leave it at will call."

That's already been done; in fact an olive branch was extended to Michelle in a video on PlanetBYU from the BYUFrontRowFanatics.

• Uman Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:26 a.m.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:13 a.m.

The Air Force Academy has announced that before tonight's game the cadets will not face the flag during the national anthem, but will turn and instead face Jimmer and salute.

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:12 a.m.

to yarrlydarb- and yet you still wrote a response, even it was a nonresponse. Cmon, everybody, just enjoy the ride- this isn't unfederetted hero worship, just a cultural online gathering- have some fun

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Jimmer, please leave the 99 and go save this girl. You're our only hope Jimmer Won TreVoni.

Seriously, someone should buy this girl a ticket and leave it at will call. Then we could create a public plea for her to go pick it up. I'd pitch in a few dollars for her to have a front row seat in the student section.

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    Feb. 9, 2011 10:07 a.m.

@Julianne: No commentary on a Daily Universe letter would be complete without an "If you don't like it in Provo, you can move" admonition. Thank you for completing the discussion.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:45 a.m.

Mountanman | 7:40 a.m. Feb. 9, 2011
    Hayden, ID
    Just in from the Vatican: The Pope wants Jimmer's autograph!

Who was the guy standing on the balconey next to Jimmer?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:40 a.m.

I made toast for breakfast this morning.

When I pulled the toast out, in the toasted part, Jimmer's face appeared.

Then my daughter spilled a drop of milk on his face. It looked like a tear-drop.

I am now aware it was a Jimmer Miracle, and Jimmer is sad because this young girl does not believe in Jimmer.

I hope the young lady repents and comes unto Jimmer.

(In reality, it's Provo, it's cold, not alot to do... Let the kids have their fun)

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:18 a.m.

The world is Jimmer's campus.

Enter to learn go forth to Jimmer.

The Quest for Jimmerfection.

Band of Jimmers.

Bronco just changed his name to Jimmerhall.

Chuck Norris just hired Jimmer as his bodyguard.

Brad Rock has actually decided to mention Jimmer more than Rick Majerus.

Tom Kirkland has decided to name his hair style - The Jimmer.

Too much fun.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Sloppy J,
    Just to be clear, Duckhunter (Billy Joel letter) is a real fan, not what you want to believe as a "typical" BYU fan. But thanks for playing anyway. Next time post something that is accurate.

Question for all you sports fans, or music fans, etc. How many people are universally known by one name?

• Julianne North Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:09 a.m.

If this women doesn't like what is happening in Provo then she better move where she doesn't hear about it. I am proud to be a BYU fan and keep up the good work Jimmer. I hope you go in the first round of the draft that is coming up. It will be nice to be able to follow you in the NBA.

• ClarkGriswald West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:09 a.m.

I'm excited to see jimmer at the next home game Saturday vs. Utah. The game was sold out as of a week ago, but I just got tickets yesterday because the ticket office opened up some student tickets to the public. I think there's still a few left, probably

• Walt Nicholes Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Heaven help Jimmer if he ever goes into a slump.

We should rest our faith in one who can guarantee ongoing potency.

I'm not trying to be coy here. I'm serious. If Jimmer ever falls from grace, how great will be that fall.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Do I value my two year missionary experience? Of course. Do I think Jimmer is a better "missionary" than I ever was. I think thats obvious.

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:05 a.m.

The only thing that is funnier than this article, is those of you responding and taking the mission, idol, holier than thou attitude. Lighten up people and have some fun with your closed minded lives. It's Miller...I mean Jimmer time. Relax.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Sloppy J,

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:58 a.m.

A little bit of maturity will assist this young lady to a better understanding of the enjoyment of the game along with the performance of a good athlete. Now she is the one getting all the attention, perhaps that's what she was really after.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:55 a.m.

@utes fan

Of course you do.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:25 a.m.

Personally I think she has a point.

• CPA Howard Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Feb. 9, 2011 8:15 a.m.

Must be a UTE fan

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Just in from the Vatican: The Pope wants Jimmer's autograph!

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:38 a.m.

junkgeek | 7:35 p.m. Feb. 8, 2011
    Agua Dulce, TX
    Wake me up when BYU puts 2 NCAA wins together against quality competition...
    Wake me when the Utes become quality competition.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:33 a.m.

Tiz, the Desnews wouldn't keep posting Jimmarticles unless they were generating traffic. I too pine for more features on the Zylstra's and Anderson's, but alas they don't elicit nearly the number of man-crushes that James does.

Just to be clear, the author of this letter and the author of the "Billy Joel" letter (as well as a few of the more strident posters here) are often ridiculed as "typical" BYU fans/students. Ain't so . . in my experience, the majority of us posess some common sense and a sense of humor. Pious whining is alternately hilarious and embarassing for those of us that don't aspire to apostlehood.

This girl needs baptism by Jimmersion. Oh, yeah.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:30 a.m.

• texlds Dallas, TX
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:27 a.m.

Jimmer should be in the game, but not of the game.

• jazzlover Highland, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:23 a.m.

Jimmer's the only one who could roundhouse kick Chuck Norris to the face.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 7:17 a.m.

Too silly for words or attention.

• El Ingreso St.George, Utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 6:19 a.m.

She has a very good point. The kid is good, but all the "Jimmerisms" are hoky. However, I have always thought it strange to use religion to back up your point. I guess this behavior isn't uncommon in Utah County.

Good luck Jimmer, and your sidekick Emery too.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 9, 2011 6:03 a.m.

At least she signed her name to her letter...Obviously she has a different take on life...and she's just become a rock star for the utes...but I hope everyone will treat her with the lightheartedness this situation deserves.

• TizTheSeason logan, utah
    Feb. 9, 2011 5:50 a.m.

But really DNews.....Every single day do you have to have an article on Jimmer?????

I can't open my email and get my DNews sports online without some title of Jimmer this or Jimmer that. What about the rest of the team????

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 1:35 a.m.

I love watching Jimmer play, but I actually kinda feel sorry for him for all the attention. It's almost overboard, and I'm sure it must be a distraction, when he's playing, or just attending school. I would suggest just calm down the Jimmermania a little bit, and let the poor guy try to live a normal life! He is very good, and I hope he gets a chance at the NBA. But let him finish this year first, OK?

• Mike Orem, UT
    Feb. 9, 2011 12:04 a.m.

Behind all her griping, is there a possibility that this girl could be infatuated with Jimmer and just doesn't want to admit it?? It would give being "Jimmered" a whole new dimension!

Love is in the air...

• Herbie Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:52 p.m.

This article and Comments have been pure bliss to read! Thanks for making my day. Funny, I was just talking to a friend today about the ridiculousness of some of the opinion articles in the Universe. Some people seriously need to take a deep breath and have some fun!

• acrolight12 Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:29 p.m.

NO WAY!!! that is too good I cannot stop laughing

• Bengal4life Sandy, Ut
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:02 p.m.

I thought it was pretty funny ha ha.

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:59 p.m.

she's right. quit worshiping the kid and talk more about your team!!!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:58 p.m.

Mount Olympus, Bart Starr has more titles than Montana and called his own plays. Terry Bradshaw has as many and also called his own plays.

• Over the Top Rigby, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Loved this article!! Where's the "like" button????

• NateB Lehi, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:16 p.m.

This has been hilarious. Thanks to everyone for writing!!!

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:00 p.m.

@Dee J

I figured someone else would remember that. LOL

• treecaps22 Charlotte, North Carolina
    Feb. 8, 2011 9:12 p.m.

Funniest thread I have ever read on the internet. Unbelievable.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 8:29 p.m.

jIMMER, Jimmered, Jimmied, Jimmed, Jimmboy, Katzenjimmer, Jimmerboy, Jimmermania, Jimmerphobia, Byjimmer, Gojimmer, Jimmertheuties, Ignorejimmer, yes, Ignorejimmer, No Adorejimmer, Hey, are we having any fun yet? This is what it is all about Miss Deplorejimmer!

Lighten up folks and have some fun. This Jimmermania will not re occur very often so enjoy it while it lasts. Thanksjimmer!

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 8:23 p.m.

You can not put a price on this kind of publicity

• Veracruz Brentwood, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 8:13 p.m.

@UU32! That Huntsman comment was AWESOME! Why didn't Mitt think of that? And thank goodness Sarah didn't either. . .

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:57 p.m.

I am a much happier and more fulfilled person now! Even my marriage is better! Thank you Jimmer!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:56 p.m.

The thing that is reall great about Jimmer (this from a Ute) is that all the "worship" and Jimmerisms don't seem to faze him at all. Keep shooting Jimmer.

I did hear that Jon Hunstman Jr. has inquired about Jimmer's availability as a runnig mate in 2012.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:52 p.m.

That girl has some serious "issues". Well - the world is full of people.

I love you Jimmer - you da man!!

• Dog Fur Prather, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:49 p.m.

Chuck Norris will have to wait in line, behind Elvis and Bruce Lee.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:45 p.m.

Jimmer, how do you stay so humble when you are so great? Swish! Nothing but net!

• BlueBaron Murray, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Word has it that Chuck Norris has actually contacted Jimmer for some private half-court shooting lessons.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Wake me up when BYU puts 2 NCAA wins together against quality competition...

• Veracruz Brentwood, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:22 p.m.

Okay. I changed my mind. Whew! But that was REALLY close! Beat yootah!

• Veracruz Brentwood, CA
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:20 p.m.

Oh! I am so glad to have read that article. I have seen the light! No more sports for me!!! Thanks
    Un-Jimmered girl, for saving me from a certain death by b-ball overdose during March Madness.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:12 p.m.

Jimmer, we will dismiss you without further comment!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:12 p.m.

@ Mount Olympus. I think you need to lighten up and mellow out about religion and sports. Lots of BYU (and other school) athletes go on missions for their own reasons and some don't for their own reasons and I don't know one person who looks down on those who don't. If you do, you must live in a different world than I do!

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:08 p.m.

I consider myself a pretty light-hearted person, I just draw the line at placing the names of basketball players in place of Deity. Some people call that sacrilege. I would just call it going too far.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:46 p.m.

That girl is destined to be single for the rest of her life...mark it down.

• lonestar Fort Worth, TX
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Oh lighten up Richard

• Dee J Portland, OR
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:37 p.m.

To Duckhunter: DUDE! I remember that - I was there at that concert, and it was awesome. The letter to the DU editor you refer to was ridiculous then, and the Pepto Bismol of time has failed to eased the nausea.

As for The Jimmer, I'd like to bear my testimony that I know The Jimmer is true...and I'm grateful for my membership in his fanclub...

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:29 p.m.

I don't want BYU sports to be associated with the chruch. Anybody remember the gang rape incident? That girl has a point. Just because we can mock extreme worship of Jimmer doesn't mean it's not a real problem for individuals. The article said something about humorous responses, I didn't see that many. If adding a 'ed' to a name is what counts as humor these days, you all just got Richard'ed! (see, not funny)

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:10 p.m.

Re: Mountanman

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
    Surely you like pro sports.
    I like watching Deron Williams. I have no idea what religion he is, and nor do I care. I like watching him play basketball.

There is a double standard when it comes to LDS people being ok with athletes not going on missions, because if others don't they are looked down on.
    What if Jimmer were as good at math as he were at Basketball, going on a mission may prevent him from being one of the greatest mathematicians. However he still would be looked down on.

I just think people should stop looking down on others for not going on a mission (basketball player or not).

Also, sports don't have anything to do with religion. Joe Montana is the best QB in NFL history (no question about it, look at his numbers). Does that mean you want to become a Catholic, becauase of Joe Montana? I would guess probably not.

• Toonces the Cat Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:04 p.m.

LOL......she got Jimmered.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 8, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Typical of the letter's that end up in the Unifarce. I'll bet it came right after the one where the writer complained about those who "cut corners." (That means walking on the grass, for those who haven't lived the ridiculousness.)

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Jimmer bless that poor girl that she me may be able to finish her studies without any further distractions.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:50 p.m.

Jimmer is on a mission! He is a very successful missionary already! I went on a mission because I was no good at basketball--lol!

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:47 p.m.

It kind of reminds me of the guy that wrote an article in the Daily Universe back in the 80's about Billy Joel. He had just performed at the Marriott Center and I attended the concert. It was good and Billy pretty much kept it clean and crowd appropriate. And of course he sang all of his biggest hits including, you guessed it, "Only the Good Die Young".

In his intro to the song Joel said "Keep in mind I'm not condoning anything, I'm just offering an alternative". It was funny and most of us simply took it at that and enjoyed the performance. But not this guy that wrote in the Daily Universe.

He frankly went on a holier than thou rant about it and how we all needed to watch out and beware of the world and its evil influences.

I've never forgotten that article. Hilarious.

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:45 p.m.

She's just confused. He whole life she has been taught that if a guy does not go on a mission he is the devil. Now people are worshipping this guy that didn't go on a mission.

• byu_num_1 Holladay, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:14 p.m.

She definitely has a point.

BYU football has always been the mormon golden calf.

This is just another idol.

• crichton007 Herriman, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:10 p.m.

I went to BYU and letters like this are posted all the time. The only difference here is this one is getting national attention for is lack of... well you can insert your own word here. Let's just say that the world is pretty small down in Provo at BYU.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:06 p.m.

This is sooooo funny! I love it!

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:59 p.m.

This whole Jimmer Mania has been a ton of fun. Regardless of the team you support you shouldn't miss out on this. It's not just that The Jimmer is a once in a generation player it is that all the mania and fun that has grown up aorund him is not something we'll ever likely experience again.

Don't be a dead beat, hop on for the ride.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Jimmer!! Some hilarious things on there. I wish I had time to read them all. Oh wait I work a graveyard tonight. I think I will read them all.

No one at BYU can hate on Jimmer and especially not write a letter to the Daily Universe about it and not be JIMMERED!

• Emophiliac Vernal, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Who is Jimmer Fredette? Never heard of him.

• BigSportsFan!! ogden, ut