Mike Whitelock: Utah Utes football: Whittingham, Chow talk Pac-12 in radio interviews

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:05 p.m.

Ute life in the PAC-10.2 will be difficult at best this fall.

Utah and Colorado will simply provide some easy 'cupcake' games for the big boys.

• J1234 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Go to ESPN and look at what your pac buddies say about you. They don't think you'll add much and you guys are just adding to the bottom feeders. Sounds about right.

Correction: Utah's new rival = Washington State.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:31 p.m.

Did you read the list of schools that have a ski team? I've never even heard of 3/4 of them. Gustavas Agustus? St. Cloud St.? Not to nitpick but we aren't talking about a single major athletic university on that list. Not one.

I was exagerrating a little bit as far as womens gymnastics is concerned as that is certainly an accomplishment but the ski thing is no more relevent than the ballroom dance team at BYU.

If a person is going to use an obscure sport that practically no major university competes in to claim athletic prowess then he should be prepared to get called on it.

Remember Skiing, gymnastics and ballroom dance are all Olympic "sports". Ballroom dance is every bit the "sport" that mixed pairs figure skating, regular figure skating, synchronized swimming, gymnastics or any other 'judged' scoring sporting event is.

Of course to me they are all no more than a passing interest, if that, but you guys want to start making claims like that then you have to count all of the non sport "sports".

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Michigan Coug

Better to be a program headed toward mediocrity, than one that's already there.

6-6: very impressively mediocre regular season.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 3:10 p.m.

So what, who cares about a football program heading towards mediocrity. Heck, even Normy agrees that the utezie fans need to tone down their giddiness...finally, and down-to-earth projection of where this Ute football program is, as the reality of mediocrity is about to set in...enjoy 6-6 records or worse, for the foreseeable future little brothers...

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 1:36 p.m.

"Golf and Cross Country are "real sports", but skiing and gymnastics are not? Honestly, please tell me that is a joke."

Awsome pownage Rag

If you wondering who's "guy" they are look at the signature on their paychecks and you will have your answer.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Feb. 8, 2011 11:25 a.m.

You gotta watch out for Duck. He's very sneaky sneaky. Good posts though.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:29 a.m.

Re: Duckhunter

Really? You don't consider skiing or gymnastics sports? Look, I get that it is not the big 2, or even 3, but please don't compare those two sports to ballroom dancing (cue dancing defenders).
    I guess I just got trolled pretty badly.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 8, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Thanks to pocyUte2 for pulling up some stats. I still don't really know what Stockton is trying to say. My original point was basically that Chow and Whit have mirror image resumes. I fully admit that I consider Chow a "BYU guy", but by my same logic, I would have to consider Whit a Utah guy. The opposite is also true. An even better point was made after my post about how Whit CHOSE Utah over BYU, making him a Utah man.
    Stockton is trampling all over himself by pulling up made up or incorrect stats and then claiming that it was to "see if you were awake", or "I was one year off" (when he was actually 10). Classic message board hero who got owned and is now claiming that he was just kidding or doesn't care, or testing you.
    Just go away "Where's Stockton ???"

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Feb. 8, 2011 8:35 a.m.

Stock here is the paragraph that you posted.

Kyle played 4 years and had a great defensive career at BYU and was an assistant coach at BYU for 5 Years. He's now been Head Coach at Utah for only 6 years... and he's doing a heck of a job...because BYU does put out quality in all respects.

This paragraph caused me a lot of confusion. I'm just trying to clarify the facts that you presented, and show that Ragnar has a point.

And, as a BYU grad, I must admit, BYU does put out quality in all respects, but I think Kyle would be a heck of a coach with or without his BYU experience.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 8, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Gee's... pack it in Utah Couty ute..Yes I know about Whittingham's 10 years as assistant at the U and he was only a graduate assistant at the y and he was at Idaho State for a while and at Eastern Utah...I said I agree with you...all this is stupid because everybody spins what they want on these blogs and to see if you were awake it was his father Fred who was the assistant at the Y but most people on these blogs would never know or even catch that. The point is everyone wants the up on everyone else. It's rediculous but that's what contributes to the rivalry. I laugh at most of this alot more than take it so seriously. I'm not sure of your perception. To me it's just entertainment.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Feb. 8, 2011 7:39 a.m.

I know I'm picking knits of a gnat. The thing is, your post confused me. You said Whit was an assistant at BYU for 5 years. And head coach at Utah for six. But he was a GA at BYU for 2, assistant coach at Utah for 11, and head at Utah for 6, so I don't know where your numbers.

Actually, in my correction I was wrong. Kyle didn't join the Utah staff until '94.

It doesn't really matter, because the argument is, as I said before, completely stupid. Personally, I don't see the point of a rivalry doing everything you can to tear the other side down, but more enjoying the success of your own team, not that I don't get a certain satisfaction when BYU loses (in the spirit of full disclosure).

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 8, 2011 5:15 a.m.

This article is about Whitingham and Chow...not Edwards. Everbody knows where Edwards comes from and yes this argument is stupid. Some guy named Rangard Danneskjold asked for an answer why people argue over this so I gave him one totally based on facts and logic minus the 1 year that I mistakenly shorted Whitingham which you pointed out...Right??? It's just mindless wheel spinning. that's why they call in a rivalry.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 8, 2011 4:59 a.m.

Ok...so I missied a year...Grant it... you made a point...but only a small one. Not afraid to admit I'm wrong at times.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Feb. 7, 2011 6:36 p.m.

along with that, Where's Stockton

Lavell, played football at USU and got his Master's at Utah before coaching at BYU, so you could also say that BYU's glory years originated at Utah/Utah State.

That being said, the whole debate is absolutely stupid. If it makes certain BYU fans feel better about themselves that some current Utah coaches coached/played at BYU, that's fine. I'm just sorry their lives' are so hollow that it takes something as trivial as this to try to find some satisfaction.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:44 p.m.

Where's stockton

You do know that Kyle has been coaching at Utah since '93 right?

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Rock Of The Marne

WOW! You sounded like my 4 year old having a melt down just then. If the Utes are done with the Cougs, then maybe someone should tell all of them who are over on the BYU boards.

Good luck in the PAC.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:56 p.m.

But BYU on the otherhand has won 14 national championships in real sports like Football, Golf, Mens Volleyball, Cross Country, Track and Field, Rugby and Lacrosse.

I would compare skiing and womens gymnastics to BYU's 30 national championships in ballroom dance. None of those is much of a "sport" at all.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:41 p.m.

@pac 12 loves you

Here is a list of every single ncaa ski team.

Alaska - Anchorage Seawolves Skiing
    St. Scholastica Saints Skiing
    Utah Utes Skiing
    UW - Green Bay Phoenix Skiing
    Vermont Catamounts Skiing
    Whitman Missionaries Skiing
    Williams Ephs Skiing

No clue who most of them are. That is 10 of utahs "national championships.

10 more in womens gymnastics. The rest are figments of your imagination.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 7, 2011 4:37 p.m.

@Rangnar Danneskjold
    Loyalty has nothing to do with it...it's simple math and diversification for experience.

Meanwhile Norm Chow played and had a so so career at Utah for 4 Years and went on to become an assistant coach at BYU for 25 years where he really great success and according to many in the land became the master of offenses under Edwards...including the 4 years that Kyle played is great defensive career at BYU. But Norms only been coaching for about two weeks at Utah so he really hasn't done much for Utah to make any real claims like BYU can. and rightfully does. So obviously since BYU does put out quality in all respects...then logic ties both coaches more to BYU then to Utah. Sorry...but logic is logic.

How's that for simplicity???

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Feb. 7, 2011 1:58 p.m.

what logic do you use in claiming byu the older brother?

i have three questions for you:

1) who owns the rivalry?
    Utah does 53-33-4

2) which school has been around longer?
    Utah was established in 1850
    byu was established in 1875.

3)which school has won more National Championships(in all sports)?
    Utah 24
    byu 10

To sum it up, Utah is the older brother by those three criterias: head to head supremecy, establishment, and championships. Sure the little brother can win a National Championship in Football. But, Utah will claim a National Championship in Basketball. I think the stats speak for themselves.

GO UTES!!!

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 1:47 p.m.

I love all the BYU comments on here. Utah got BYU's dream (joining a BCS conference), and now BYU fans are so bitter all they can do is speculate that the Utes will do poorly in the Pac-12.

The Utes will be playing the Big Boys week in and week out. It will be a challenge. I don't expect them to win the conference next year, but they'll compete. It will be great having all those good teams come into RES. Exciting times for the Utes.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Feb. 7, 2011 12:55 p.m.

You're drawing the same line that you accuse others of doing. One championship in over 100 years of college football is hardly the overall picture. Head to head, Utah has a much better record that BYU, so by that criteria, BYU is the little brother. And how many BYU fans discount Utah's NCAA championship in basketball?

Seriously, all this back and forth is ridiculous. BYU has fine athletics, Utah has fine athletics. Both have had peaks and valleys, but overall, are very good programs.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 12:36 p.m.

I know you have been told before, but I will say it again. How many National Championships has the u won in Football?

We won't even go down the path of all the individual trophies won by Cougars.

Some people just want to draw the line where they want and not look at the overall picture. A championship is a championship is championship. Look at any sports history book you want. BYU will always be the big brother to the little sister u.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Ah wedgie I think it is cute that you actually consider utah to be usc's "rival". LOL

I compare that to wyoming, csu, new mexico, utah and sdsu considering themselves BYU's "rival". Sure they have been in the same conference and played each other every year but when you are getting your butt handed to you year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year in almost every sport you "compete" LOL against each other in is it really a rivalry?

Such is utah's future with usc in football and most other sports, and ucla in basketball and most other sports and asu in basbeball and basketball and football and ost other sp[orts and ariz in basketball and football and baseball and most other sports and all of the other pac10 schools in almost every sport.

"Rivals" bwaaaahaaahaaahaaahaaa.......

• Golfhack20 West Jordan, Ut
    Feb. 7, 2011 10:11 a.m.

I would consider Coach Witt a Ute now and forever. Not because of how long he has been working on the Hill. Not because of his 2 BCS rings. I would consider him a UTE because he turned down BYU and stayed with UTAH. That is what makes him a UTE!!! A-ROD is now a UTE because he did the same thing. I know to some that turning down BYU is just silly but I for one like the direction of both programs and I am pleased with both Programs.....

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 9:48 a.m.

Can one of the BYU fans please explain to me why both Whit and Chow are considered BYU products? Kyle played at BYU and has coached at Utah for many years. Chow played at Utah and coached at BYU for many years. You cannot claim them both (I know there are a few other coaches on the Ute staff as well). I certainly consider Chow a BYU product, but you cannot say that about Kyle anymore. If you have coached somewhere for at least twice as long as you played at another place, you are no longer considered a product of where you played your college ball.
    You make yourself sound silly when you claim that all of these coaches are more loyal to the place they played for 3 years, than the place that has given them a decent living for over a decade. I honestly just don't get it. Please enlighten me.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 7, 2011 9:43 a.m.

I know it's shocking and hard to accept but yes, USC and UCLA are not only in the PAC12 but the South division with the Utes.

This small group (six teams) will quickly develop a heated rivalry as they persue a common goal.....winning the division.

And the TDS? no such common goals. Just aimlessly looking for a pick-up game with anyone who has an open date on their conference schedule.

• Big Ben 2.0 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Who listens to 1320 KFAN? Its a joke of a station. 1280 the Zone has superior programming. Seriously. Why would anyone listen to KFAN?

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 7, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Wedgie said:

"What's more interesting is the rivalry we have with the USC's and UCLA's of the world."

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 7, 2011 5:46 a.m.

A couple of key things from these interviews First and formost...I too am impressed that Kyle spent an entire half hour speaking with Bob Seger. Im sure his insights to Runnin Against The Wind and what those real Hollywood Nights are like will inspire the team. But will things ever be Still The Same down on Mainstreet in SLC. Despite the imposed sanctions against...USC...which by the way haven't happened yet due to the appeal process. So when you look at the fact that USC was still able to pick up 25 of the 40-45 who signed LOI's and moved them to the Recruited side of the ledger...that the only thing Still the same Down on Mainstreet is that USC remains Like A Rock. And that's without even mentioning that 2of those recruits signed were 5's and the rest were pretty much all 4's in the first 100 on Rival's.com's top 250. I totally agree with Chow's final assessment. The fans need to lower their expectations in respect to the enormous difficulty of the schedule they are going to be facing the next season or two.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Feb. 6, 2011 10:03 p.m.

lol, get real hedgie

The Utes are nothing but filler for the PAC 12 to be able to schedule a championship game.

Trojan and Bruin fans think of SDSU as more of a "rival" than the Utes will ever be.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 6, 2011 9:26 p.m.

Hey, I'd talk about football radio interviews as well. Have you seen Utah play bball lately.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 6, 2011 9:13 p.m.

As far as a rival I'd put BYU and USU in the same group.... yes, they are within the same state but beyond that nothing more important.

As I've said many times before, it would be for the best if Utah would drop the tds from football (similar to what Penn St. did with Pitt) as there is nothing to gain and only things to lose.

Beating the tds will be almost meaningless as it relates to conference play - althoug it's been a fairly easy go ( 2 of 3 / 6 of 9).

tds will view the Utah game as it's sole identity; if they win they are worthy, if the lose they are failures.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 6, 2011 8:29 p.m.

"Two former BYU guys coaching the Utees! Oh the humorous irony of it all!"

Yes, BYU has been a good feeder school for the BCS....what's your point?

Buster, Y so bitter?

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 6, 2011 8:21 p.m.

Two former BYU guys coaching the Utees! Oh the humorous irony of it all!

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2011 7:26 p.m.

Rock o the Marne, I hate trolls too, so get after the ute trolls, too.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 6, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Good to see the trolls (Max was right, Veritas Aequitas et al) are out in force showing us once again that they are indeed little brother (a mid major one at that). Please go away BYU trolls as I don't appreciate you being all over every and all Utah stories like white on rice. Hypocrites you are but please don't let that stop you on your way back to your nationally irrelevant mid major program. Can't you get through your heads that Utah is done with you; especially the so called Y fans which are delusional, insecure, jealous and from the content of their comments lately, desperate. I don't even care if you go away mad, just go away.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 6, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Indypendince is way so much better

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2011 5:14 p.m.

Great article and interesting interviews. This is a great opportunity for Utah and it appears they understand the challenge and are trying to make the correct decisions to be very competitive in the PAC-12. Mr. Chow is very good addition to the staff as a senior mentor to the whole staff and great offensive coach.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Feb. 6, 2011 4:28 p.m.

You got the money, talked about the conference, now it's going to be put up time for the players. That is going to be interesting to see how the "Eweties" handle getting drilled each week and finishing in the bottom half of their new league for the unforeseeable future. Talk about making mistakes, it's going to be interesting to see how long it is until they want out of that conference also!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Feb. 6, 2011 4:08 p.m.

I for one can' wait for Spring ball.

@Buster (aka Verita, aka Max)

Utah finished 10-3 just like your 2008 team the only difference we didn't print "Perfection" t-shirts for our 8-0 team like you did for your 0-0 team.

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    Feb. 6, 2011 3:57 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas - "Personally, I want to know how they plan on getting out of the tailspin they crashed and burned in last season"

Then listen to the interviews rather than smack talking.

• Chris B's momma Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 6, 2011 3:44 p.m.

Maybe Chow cantake over the basketball coaching job. I hear they need a coach.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 6, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Max, they can't talk about the Vegas Bowl, even though it was a record-setting blow-out loss to a MWC team.

Are they going to talk about how they went from 5th in the AP, to unranked?

No, realistically, they had to talk about what they are gonna do...

Personally, I want to know how they plan on getting out of the tailspin they crashed and burned in last season.

I may hit some of the interesting games next year.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 6, 2011 1:42 p.m.

Max was right,

This is what happens when you get invited to a BCS conference.

27/7 baby, 24/7

• FlyingUte Murray, UT
    Feb. 6, 2011 1:03 p.m.

RE: Max was right

Any news about Utah is relevant and good news! Always!! GO UTES!!!

• BigSportsFan!! ogden, ut
    Feb. 6, 2011 12:20 p.m.

Re: Max-was-right | 11:53 a.m.
    "ute homers like Mike"

Your talking about the same writer who wrote - Could Jake Heaps reach Jimmer status?

• Jimmy James Salt Lake City, Ut
    Feb. 6, 2011 12:05 p.m.

The national letter of intent sigining day was just a few days ago. Norm Chow's move to Utah happened just within the past few weeks. Having an article that links to interviews that talk about new recruits and Norm Chow's plan for the offense seems like pretty recent and relevant news to me.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Feb. 6, 2011 11:53 a.m.

Is this for real? Now we are writing about some local radio interview about a sport 7 months away? I guess the ute homers like Mike will do anything to shift the focus off that thing they call a basketball team. At least in October when good ole Mike is writing about basketball to shift the focus on the train wreck of a football season, the article then will only be a month or so away from the topic....

Crimson is red alrighty...