U.S. & World

LDS relief: Haiti binds a broken heart

Comments

• Deborah
    Feb. 25, 2010 6:12 p.m.

Thank you.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 19, 2010 10:11 p.m.

God bless you sister.

• Payne
    Feb. 7, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Dear Liz, my wife and I had the privilege of knowing Brady as his mission president. He was an outstanding missionary and we were proud of his accomplishments there and when he got home. I always told the missionaries that if they worked hard they would marry a beautiful person. He worked hard and he did marry a beautiful person. Bless you for not feeling so sorry for yourself that you could not reach out to others. Bless you for your own depth, love for others and for your Christlike servicce.

• Lori
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:23 p.m.

Dear Liz, I hope you don't mind, I am using your amazing story in my Relief Society Presidency Message this week. The title of my lesson is "Because I know what I know". These words were inspired by a dear friend who has lost 2 children and her husband within the last 3 1/2 years. All 3 very tragically and unexpected. When asked how she could possibly endure such a trial, her answer was "Because I know what I know". I have a feeling that you can relate. Thank the Lord for "what we know". May He bless and keep you always.

• george
    Jan. 27, 2010 10:22 p.m.

why does she remarry?

• MICHAEL TAYLOR
    Jan. 25, 2010 11:15 p.m.

GOD LOVES YOU VERY MUCH. AMEN

• Marne
    Jan. 25, 2010 4:36 p.m.

You are inspiring Liz! This story was very touching. Good luck with all you do.

• Emily
    Jan. 25, 2010 1:30 p.m.

Liz, you are inspiring! Thanks for your example and service!

• Camille
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:03 p.m.

There's no better way to honor Brady. Proud of you, Liz.

• Steven and Amy
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:49 a.m.

We were hoping to somehow see what you are doing in Haiti. What a wonderful article. We wish you added strength and health as you help the suffering people of Haiti. We are proud of you!

• Sherry and Brent
    Jan. 25, 2010 10:25 a.m.

We knew and loved your husband, Brady and his amazing family. We will never forget Brady at the basketball games always coming in as the "Ever Ready Bunny." He was such a loving and giving young men and never stopped being happy and sharing that happiness with others. Now he is watching you carry on in the same path he would have traveled, always sharing your love, giving of your talents as a nurse and just being there in Haiti will be a comfort and strength to all.
    Thank you, Liz for your Christ-like example!

• Shane Walker
    Jan. 25, 2010 7:31 a.m.

Liz,
    Knew your husband in high school/college through a mutual group of friends. He was and is a great man. Never had the privilege of knowing you, but I've come to see that the two of you are truly a match made in, and definitely for Heaven. What great examples you both are to all of us. Thanks for being so Christ-like in all you do. Hope you get a chance to read these comments and know how you both have touched our lives.

• A Superstar!
    Jan. 25, 2010 12:23 a.m.

Way to go Liz! Thanks for the great example!

Awesome article!

Thanks!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 24, 2010 11:06 p.m.

Way to go liz, your being led by your late husband Brady, in all you do.... the 1st ressurections just around the corner...keep the faith, were proud of your selfless example...with love, Toyann and Mark Newell {your 1st cousins.}

• Rob
    Jan. 24, 2010 10:06 p.m.

I remember your story, when you carried the Olympic torch and was touched to see how President Bush treated you during such a hard time. I was just crying hearing what you had gone through. Now to see how you are using your life to serve others in their time of need is wonderful. Hearts that have been broken can help to heal others. Thank you for the love you have for others. You inspire me.

• BobP
    Jan. 24, 2010 7:29 p.m.

To 12:29 being LDS is part of who she is. Without it she may have acted differently. Nice article.

• chuckles55
    Jan. 24, 2010 7:25 p.m.

Best way to quash inane comments from folks like annonymous is just to ignore them. Basically, their goal seems to be to sidetrack positive discussions and to turn them into finger-pointing and recriminations.

• Amber
    Jan. 24, 2010 7:06 p.m.

To anonymous who commented earlier. First, learn how to spell if you are going to publicly criticize. Secondly, it doesn't matter if she is LDS or not but you need to recognize the good the church does for everybody around the world. They are usually one of the first to respond to a disaster and give and give, then give some more. The church does not care what religion or where the people are from. They are dedicated to serving others and that is what our church is all about!

• Re: Joy
    Jan. 24, 2010 6:07 p.m.

"...for the LDS Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake City."

I echo Joy. I don't live in Utah (or anywhere they have Deseret Industries that have the "Service rooms" added on for people to help with Humanitarian projects") but twice on trips to SLC I went and volunteered at the main Humanitarian Aid headquarters off of Redwood Rd.

I promise if you go in the spirit of helping you will have a totally AWESOME time.

And go (and take your family) to one of the tours there given by the Temple Square sister missionaries. Whether you are LDS or not, the tour and volunteering there will truly make your day.

We can't all go to Haiti or Africa or a million other places to help--but you can help there and what you do there will eventually get to all those places.

• To: Anonymous 12:39
    Jan. 24, 2010 5:20 p.m.

You wrote "who really cares if she is LDS or not. This kind of reporting is just a tad over the top. What does anybodies religion have to do with this? Nothing except to this news paper. Can you stop already and just focus on the people and thier stories and leave religion out of it. Please?"
    ***********
    I'm sorry, but you read this wonderful article and this is what you came away with? This was hardly a story about the LDS Church.

She was with a group that was sent by the LDS Church, is that somehow a bad thing? I'm pretty sure there are several stories floating around talking about groups sent by the Catholics and Baptists. It's a fact, not indoctrination.

Oh yes, she went on an LDS mission... well, it is a story about her giving of herself and serving others now isn't it. Her mission doesn't count?

And she works for the LDS Church's Humanitarian Services. Would you have been bothered if she worked for the Red Cross? Why so touchy?

This was a wonderful story... even if she is one of them there pesky Mormons...

• Joy
    Jan. 24, 2010 5:16 p.m.

Dear Liz,
    What a precious individual you are to forget yourself and think of others. And what a valuable resource you must be for others who are suffering and need such care as only you can provide.
    What a great example you are to all. May you be continually blessed by your good works.
    I love the Humanitarian work and have been involved in many projects in Relief Society for the LDS Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake City. Since I am unable to go abroad to help, it's one way I can help and I love it.
    Thanks for inspiring so many to want to be and do better.
    Sincerely,
    Joy

• Inspiring
    Jan. 24, 2010 5:06 p.m.

A true example of someone who through her own devastation took the hand of God to press forward and bless the lives of others. I echo the comment that your husband must be so proud of you :) Thank you for the uplifting story.

• LaNae Poulter
    Jan. 24, 2010 4:47 p.m.

Liz has not only lost herself through service, but more importantly she has found herself through love. Liz, if you read these comments, please know that you inspired me with your depth of understanding in the days following 9/11 and your desires to honor Brady's dream of becoming a teacher. Now you through the way you handle your life have become the teacher; you exemplify charity through not only words but your great acts of service. My cousin sent emailed me the link to the story with the subject line "you know this great lady." How true is the attribute; how honored I am to know you, your family, and your hearts. May God bless those who suffer and those who succor.

• Nicki
    Jan. 24, 2010 3:36 p.m.

Liz - you may or may not read this, but I want you to know my heart and prayers are with you, and with the rest of the wonderful volunteers there in Haiti. So many feel they want to help and don't know what they can do... your story is inspiring. What an example you are to me and so many people of rising above your trials and seeing beyond yourself. Thank you for what you are doing. Love you.

• Tammie
    Jan. 24, 2010 2:48 p.m.

This is so wonderful... - Liz, you will probably not even read this. But I grew up next down to your husband Brady. We loved the Howell Family and i have a deep respect for them (They helped my family after my father passed away)- and you. My heart has a tender spot and am so blessed by your example and what you are doing. May you find peace as you help these dear people in Haiti- they are so lucky to have you there to help in their time of need. I hope that we can learn from your example and Give - Truly give of all we have to help others. Best wishes....Tammie Bahr Holmes

• Anonymous
    Jan. 24, 2010 1:33 p.m.

Liz, you inspire you to be better than we are. Scott--outstanding journalism--very moving article.

• Continued thanks Scott Taylor
    Jan. 24, 2010 1:30 p.m.

One after another, your stories have had me riveted to hear your continuing reports.

Your spirit and compassion is leaking through in your stories. Thanks.

• mtymouse
    Jan. 24, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Thank you to Scott Taylor for writing such an inspiring, well written article, and to the photographer for such tender photos that convey a thousand unwritten words. A special thanks to Liz for sharing your touching, unselfish story, and for being such a wonderful example to me and others. Watching the acts of compassion rendered to the people of Haiti has renewed my faith in mankind! I echo "her cheek on his head", who voiced her willingness to help out despite not being a nurse. I would love to help comfort children, clean up from the devastation, etc., but I don't know who to contact to offer my services.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 24, 2010 12:39 p.m.

I admire Liz and her counterparts effort BUT who really cares if she is LDS or not. This kind of reporting is just a tad over the top. What does anybodies religion have to do with this? Nothing except to this news paper. Can you stop already and just focus on the people and thier stories and leave religion out of it. Please? Thank you and may God bless everyone!

• Thanks and Praise
    Jan. 24, 2010 12:34 p.m.

...be to God, for his tender mercies...so often in the world we forget, that the greatest gift of all might be the opportunity and means to give...God bless Liz who seems to have priorities in perfect order...and to DN for the story.

• Brava!
    Jan. 24, 2010 11:07 a.m.

Wonderful story - about the great sacrifice Liz is making to make the world a better place, one person at a time. Truly terrific. There are many people smiling because of her.

• A special spot in Heaven
    Jan. 24, 2010 11:07 a.m.

has been reserved for Liz and her husband.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 24, 2010 11:05 a.m.

Simply inspiring.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 24, 2010 10:34 a.m.

"People can take away your loved ones, they can take away your greatest treasures, but they cannot take away or change the way you respond to a situation."

How wise !!! she certainly chose the best part. I am sure her husband is watching over her and feeling pleased for her every minute. Thanks for this article. It was certainly very inspiring.

• Wendy
    Jan. 24, 2010 8:42 a.m.

Liz and people like her make this world a much better place. She is a shining example of how being committed to the welfare of others not only helps them but her as well.

• Great story
    Jan. 24, 2010 7:45 a.m.

Thank you very much for this touching story. This is the kind of news we need! INSPIRE US!

• Impressed
    Jan. 24, 2010 7:28 a.m.

I met Liz when she was interviewed for a video a few months after 9/11. She was very centered and has an amazing perspective.

• nita
    Jan. 24, 2010 7:24 a.m.

I wish I had the words to say how touched I was by your story, may you have continued strength and healing.

• her cheek on his head.
    Jan. 24, 2010 6:49 a.m.

What a sweet tender story. The picture of her carrying this boy with her cheek on his head looks like she is trying to draw on the powers of heaven for what both of them are feeling. Blessings to them.

I wish the LDS Humanitarian Aid group could think about adding others to their ranks...maybe not nurses but people, women especially who have stories similar to Liz, who could contribute so much healing and love to the poor and afflicted of the world, because they have been afflicted themselves, maybe in ways like Liz and also very different ways.

• georgiaonmymind
    Jan. 24, 2010 6:48 a.m.

Wonderful story! What a difference one can make! Thanks for your service Liz!

• Correction--beg your pardon
    Jan. 24, 2010 5:55 a.m.

RE: Losing oneself | 5:51 a.m. Jan. 24, 2010
    is the most charitable way to serve others. I admire nurse, Liz Howell. Serving others helps her fill the gap of her loss, What a brave soul to go on a mission at age thirty, besides. May you continue to find the joy and peace that your life will bring. Thank you for being such an example of love and sacrifice. Your story is an illustration and example of what we can do to serve our fellow- beings. I did not know the origin of the words to the hymn mentioned, "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." A favorite one of mine too. --"I Stand All Amazed."

• Losing oneself
    Jan. 24, 2010 5:51 a.m.

is the most charitable way to serve others. I admire nurse, Liz Howell. Serving others helps her fill the gap of her loss, What a brave soul to go on a mission at age thirty, besides. May you continue to find the joy and peace that your life will bring. Thank you for being such an example of love and sacrifice. Your story is an illustration and example of what we can do to serve our felling beings. I did not know the origin of the words to the hymn mentioned, "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." A favorite one of minetoo. --"I Stand All Amazed."

Jan. 24, 2010 4:30 a.m.

Beautiful, beautiful article. It inspires me to serve.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 24, 2010 2:45 a.m.

What an uplifting and inspiring article! I also lived in Arlington during 9/11 and I remember being touched by Liz's story. Thanks for your example of compassion and love.