U.S. & World

LDS relief: Utah nurse draws on the power of love and healing to help boy

Comments

• Rachel
    Feb. 21, 2010 3:15 p.m.

Liz, thank you so much for your wonderful example. My husband is currently serving in Afghanistan for the U.S Army. Sometimes it is hard not to succumb to grief and fear the adversary instills in us. What a great example your story was for me though on a day I truly needed it. Thank you for the loving service you provide to our Savior by being with and loving the Haitians. I admire your courage and faith. Thank you. The volunteers over there, as well as the natives, have been in my prayers and I will continue that. Thank you for sharing your love and talents with the world. We love you!

• Louise Talley (Jennifer's Mom)
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:45 p.m.

God bless you, Liz. You have truly risen above your grief to be a great blessing and example to all of us. I pray that you will be able to have children here on earth, but, if not, you are living the full measure of your creation. I pray for your continued good health and protection as you serve. Much love goes out to you from our family.

• Lisa Madsen Evans
    Jan. 29, 2010 10:32 p.m.

Liz, when my dad told me you were over there all I could do was smile and feel proud! You are such an amazing person and I've ALWAYS looked up to you. I doubt you ever realized how much of a role model you have always been for me. Thank you for being a constant reminder of the way we should all live our lives!

• Barbara PIncombe
    Jan. 26, 2010 5:40 p.m.

Liz, Your love and light will be remembered long after you leave Haiti. Thank you for listening to Heavenly Father and to follow you heart. You are a special spirit, know that you are loved.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 26, 2010 5:34 p.m.

Liz, your love and light will be remembered by all those you come in contact with. I know that Heavely Father loves you and you reflect this in your work. Thank you for listening to your heart.

Barbara Pincombe

• Terri Pincombe McClellan
    Jan. 26, 2010 11:42 a.m.

Liz, I can only echo the same words everyone else has said about you and your willingness to be a servant to those who need you and your spirit. The first thing I thought of was that this was a long way from our town and summertime butterflies. Your smile and blue eyes still shine in my heart!

• Hollie Pincombe Lamb
    Jan. 26, 2010 9:25 a.m.

Liz knowing you all my life I know what a special person you are. You have overcome a lot of personal tragedy and are still giving to others. If motherhood doesn't come your way I hope you know how much you made that one little boy feel loved and I am sure countless others feel loved in a time that they needed it the most and that is what counts. I am very pround to say I know that amazing women and look up to that little girl chasing butterflies in the outfield with the most amazing smile..

Love,

Hollie Pincombe Lamb

• Mike James
    Jan. 26, 2010 12:18 a.m.

I know that the actions of Mrs.Howell come from a beautiful place of compassion, empathy in suffering both physical and emotional wounds. Her heart has enlarged to a size that encompasses the small island of Haiti. I believe that such acts of love never go unnoticed, just as I know that there is not even one bruise that is unseen or one yelp unheard.

• Shauna Morris
    Jan. 25, 2010 1:39 p.m.

Thank you, Liz, for your willingness to serve. It takes a special person such as you to be able to care for those people in Haiti. My prayers are with you and all those other special people serving those in need in Haiti.

• Jim
    Jan. 25, 2010 8:35 a.m.

Thank you Liz and all the medical team for all you are doing. I wish I could be there to help.

I'm sure the Swiss will do a great job. I would love to hear the outcome of this little boy. I hope someone goes back and reports on how he is doing.

• LF
    Jan. 24, 2010 11:18 p.m.

I knew the moment I met Liz so many years ago that she was exceptional. You are all right to be grateful for who she is and what she does.
    She is everything that you see in these articles. And she has been this way all of her life, not just when the cameras are rolling.
    My heart is with you, my friend.

• Matt and Mindy
    Jan. 24, 2010 9:24 p.m.

It is wonderful to see what you are going. It is humbling and a blessing to know you and to see what you have accomplished all these years. Keep up the work and setting the example that inspires us all. I know that there are those here and elsewhere that are proud of you. Take care of yourself and those that need it most. Matt and Mindy

• Sandy
    Jan. 24, 2010 8:30 p.m.

Thank you, Liz, for what you're doing, and thanks Deseret News for publishing what she wrote in her own words. More and more like this! I want to be a better person for having read it.

• Happy in Honolulu
    Jan. 24, 2010 6:18 p.m.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. Countries will send aid but it takes an individual to offer love, a caring heart and the human touch. Liz, may you continue to be blessed throughout your life. You are a hero!!

• God bless all
    Jan. 24, 2010 4:56 p.m.

that are there helping. Please keep the victims and helpers in your prayers and give as much to the effort as you can.

• Claudia desde Uruguay
    Jan. 24, 2010 3:30 p.m.

Gracias por compartir esta experiencia, me hacen saber que Dios esta escuchando mis oraciones, pues ruego por todos los que estn brindando ayuda para que sepan como rescatarlos tanto fisica como espiritualmente. Oro por los mas vulnerables, los nios, y pienso en todos aquellos que han quedado solos, en aquellas madres que han perdido sus hijos, en los padres que no volveran. Ruego al Padre que alivie sus sufrimientos y que los protejan. Gracias por el servicio que estan brindando, no desmayen y sepan que hay mucha gente orando por todos ustedes, todos los que no podemos ayudar directamente pero que al saber de estos ejemplos de servicio sentimos aliviado nuestro corazon. Sigan compartiendo estas historias, ayudemos a levantar este pueblo. Se que Dios tiene un proposito para cada uno de nosotros, talves este sea el momento de que esta nacion empieze a brillar.

• jolynn
    Jan. 24, 2010 3:12 p.m.

Liz,

I had heard you were over there. I have thought of you often and the service and skills you have been able to render to the people of Haiti. May you be blessed as you continue to serve your fellow man and the Lord.

• Diane
    Jan. 24, 2010 11:33 a.m.

There is a difference in caring and mothering. A mother is concerned not only for their child's physical well being but also for their emotional and spiritual well being. You may have thought you were only doing a nurses job; but you were not, you were mothering and I am sure that this little boys mother appreciates you stepping in when she could not.

• Bob Moxley ...Calgary
    Jan. 24, 2010 9:04 a.m.

May God bless your efforts to help these people at a time of great need. I praise you for your nursing studies that brought you to Haiti. Because of your training, you are doing service in which I can not do. My thoughts and prayers will be for you and with you in the many stressful months ahead.
    As your brother in the Gospel I want to tell you that I am very proud of you.

• nita
    Jan. 24, 2010 7:13 a.m.

Liz, thank you for sharing your experience and being such a wonderful example of the Savior's love.

• a mother's heart
    Jan. 24, 2010 7:10 a.m.

"But I'd like to think that maybe if I were a mother who passed away, that someone would take care of my child, and I was grateful I could do that."

What a story.

Blessings to you Liz. May you keep going in your care of these poor children with your true 'mother's heart.'

• Bro. David Bate
    Jan. 24, 2010 5:07 a.m.

What a wonderful, spiritual example of love in action. God does send angels even in this present day, and those angels are people like you. May God continue to bless ALL those whose unselfish efforts are saving so many lives in this tremendous natural disaster.

• Susan, RN
    Jan. 24, 2010 12:34 a.m.

THANK YOU, LIZ! You are truly a mother in zion. That is a beautiful story. It filled my heart to overflowing!