U.S. & World

Comments

• Inky
    Feb. 8, 2010 5:22 p.m.

God Bless Jeremy and his Team

• Michael Karr
    Jan. 25, 2010 11:02 a.m.

My wife and I would love to adopt some of thees kids how would we go about that?

• JmG
    Jan. 23, 2010 12:20 p.m.

My knowledge of Jeremy is that this is one of the many charitable tasks he performs whenever and wherever a need is known to him. Long live his spirit and vitality. The world needs more Jeremy's. God bless.

• Chris
    Jan. 23, 2010 10:04 a.m.

As everyone has already commented, these children are orphans. They have no families. Where they are living right now, the crime rate and violence is unheard of here. Who would want a child living in that type of environment. Thirdly, even the medical supplies they are sending are not enough. They do not have places to operate, not enough blood donation for their type, and many more problems. We need to let people help in every possible way. People like Jeremy can never be replaced. They are what make our country what it is and other countries are praying and hoping that we will succeed too. Bless everyone who takes action or at least an open heart and prayers.

• love this story
    Jan. 23, 2010 9:21 a.m.

Jeremy has been blessed and is an example of being his brothers keeper.
    I'm sure if the parents could, they'd thank Jeremy and all others alike for their efforts. I know someday they will be able to.
    We are all brothers and sisters, these brothers and sisters just live farther away then the ones in the same state or a few hour flight away. We are all in need at one time or another in our lives. Please don't be judgemental, if so or if you aren't going to help out , please don't say anything.
    These children are gorgeous, I hope and pray that their wait to have a place called home is speedy.
    Let's all come together instead of divide.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 22, 2010 10:10 p.m.

How can we get ahold of him to adopt some children? My husband and I would love to have 2 or 3 children to add to our family!

• mrs. r
    Jan. 22, 2010 3:17 p.m.

i echo the jean val jean comment!

i would love to help in any way i can. bring those orphans to my house! i would love to love on them while their adoptions get figured out.

jeremy, thou art the man!

• Maven
    Jan. 21, 2010 8:32 p.m.

I'd like to answer the person that wrote "Instead of ... taking children from their family and parents, why doesn't he fly in some needed supplies instead?"

There are two answers to your question. The first is: He IS flying in supplies. Jeremy has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money taking food and medication to the people of Haiti. And the second part is: Look up the word 'orphan' sometime, since you clearly don't understand what it means. The children he's flying out don't HAVE families, and had already been adopted by American parents who have been waiting months, and even years, to take custody of them.

• Gabe and Lesley Sperry
    Jan. 21, 2010 7:28 p.m.

What you and your team are doing is amazing! Our prayers and thoughts are with you and the people of haiti. Be safe, Love the Sperry Family.

• Jamie Wood
    Jan. 21, 2010 5:06 p.m.

I am so touched to hear about the miracles that Jeremy is creating! He is inspiring! I want to assist in getting these orphans to Utah and to the families that are waiting for them here in the states. I just called the governors office and left a message stating just that I want to make this happen. We can make miracles happen if we just open our hearts and mouths!!

Thank you Jeremy for being the Angel in the lives of so many!

• Jennifer Gallardo
    Jan. 21, 2010 3:51 p.m.

Jeremy, your actions touch me greatly, as has the plight of all those suffering in Haiti (especially the children). My son went on a mission trip to Haiti and worked in the orphanages.... The person who made the "please" comment does not know what he is talking about. Thank you for helping.
    Warmly,
    Jennifer

• Casey
    Jan. 21, 2010 3:13 p.m.

Jeremy is a sweet person, he would do anything to help a family in need,I know him he is a great man, His Niece is my Best Friend, I know he would do anything for them, even but them a new house.Don't be mean to him, would you do such a thing for them?!

• Kate
    Jan. 21, 2010 2:46 p.m.

It amazes me how someone can read an article then make negative comments that show they need to read the article, not just glance through it. Whoa, no wonder they turn things around and upside down. The children he wants to bring here have no future in Haiti. Thanks to him for having a burning desire to give them a future--something most of us think about but don't ever do much to change what can be done.

• Julia
    Jan. 21, 2010 2:12 p.m.

Thank you Jeremy for the selfless act you have done and for the example you have been to all of us. I wish you the best and know that you and those orphans are in my prayers.

• EQP
    Jan. 21, 2010 1:33 p.m.

Ditto to the positive comments and praise to Jeremy Johnson. He is an amazing person and helps many people in so many places. His sadness for not being able to help more children is truly sincere. He would give his own life if he knew it would help!

He has risked his life for others, used his resources time and time again, and given so much to so many.... all without asking for any praise or recognition in return. The world would be a far better place with more men and women like those working with Jeremy in Haiti.

God speed my friend! Be safe and when you can, return home to us safely!

• JA
    Jan. 21, 2010 8:32 a.m.

I cannot belive that some people don't understand the problem. There is no intent to take children away from their family but to take children to their family. I have some adopted children and I am their parent, so taking these orphans closer to their parents is truly an act of love. So for those of you who don't know and don't know Jeremy, Corbin, CJ and others who are at risk for this, back off and let good people do good things. And thanks to the Mormon church for their willingness to share with everyone.

• Heber Trunnell
    Jan. 21, 2010 7:21 a.m.

What a touching and well-written article on the heroism of on man, a St. George man, who is sacrifcing much more than time and money to bring some comfort and solace to a torn and battered people. Thank you for publishing this peice. It brought the reality of the suffering and the concurrent service being done in Haiti much closer to home.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 21, 2010 3:16 a.m.

Especially if you have not been to Haiti, please think about and be careful what you say. We are adopting three children from an orphanage in Haiti and have been in process for over 2 years. We have watched kids die in the orphanages and that was before the country was devastated by an earthquake. Even before the quake, these kids were lucky to get 1 meal a day and when they got sick they usually had to try to ride it out, because there wasn't any medical care available for them. There are more parasites living inside these kids than you can imagine and the look in their eyes is a look of desparation and a cry for help. For these kids, if they stay, it is not a matter of "if" they die, it is a matter of "when". Thank God for people like Jeremy, who are helping these deserving children to have the chance that they deserve in life!

• MW
    Jan. 21, 2010 1:47 a.m.

Jeremy is a hero of mine. He is making this happen. He is not alone, many of his closest friends are out there doing exactly what he is doing with him.

Jer, the hardest thing to do is to inspire people...and you have done that. Way to go brother.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 10:20 p.m.

Jeremy is amazing. The supplies he brought in today will help many children. I personally know the individuals that received it tonight and can assure you that they would never take from the children in their care. It was a success due to the brave and relentless efforts of this individual. God bless him.

It saddens me that people comment before understanding circumstances.Children/orphans are not being kidnapped but have already lost family members prior to this situation that could care for them and thus are in the process of being sent to a place that they can be cared for. Are we not our brothers keepers.

• Bacon
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:49 p.m.

If you all only knew the quality of Jeremy and his crew. They are all amazing people. They would do the same thing for any of us - and wouldn't want ANY recognition for it. I'm sure Mr. Johnson will be red in the face when he finds out about all the support from this great State of Utah. For their safety - please pray for them. - Sincerely - a close friend of Jeremy Johnson

• DaLane
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:10 p.m.

Go Jeremy Go! What a selfless, caring, wonderful person you are to try and help God's suffering children. You are amazing. Thank you for all you are trying to do to alleviate the suffering and starvation. You are TREMENDOUS!

• KC
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:05 p.m.

One big problem with just delivering aid to the children, is the adult population will do anything to them to get that food. The best solution for and orphan is to have them evacuated safely to a secure area asap. Thanks Jeremy and others for all you do.

• L.P.S.
    Jan. 20, 2010 5:09 p.m.

Risking your life for the saftey of others is the ultimate sacrifice. Jeremy thank you for your example, I hope this kind of Charity spreads to the hearts of all those who hear about this story and beyond. I love people like you!

• Dave
    Jan. 20, 2010 3:11 p.m.

I hope that someday I can help people like that. We need more people like that! (and less of the kind we have in washington)

• eric
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:54 p.m.

i hope the governor of utah can cut through the red tape to let the kids come to utah so they can get healthy and have a better place to sleep and be love in this time of hardship.

• Tausha
    Jan. 20, 2010 12:34 p.m.

I am not sure what permission they are waiting on, but I know a call to the governors office asking them to cut through the red tape can never hurt. Call 801-538-1000

• Clint Christopher Beck
    Jan. 20, 2010 11:23 a.m.

Haiti and the world need clones of Jeremy Johnson and all those selfless doctors, pilots, and rescue workers who have put their lives, time, and personal finances before everything to help our fellow brothers and sisters of Haiti. I know Jeremy and can say this is only 1 of 1000 plus selfless acts he has pursued!

• Jared
    Jan. 20, 2010 11:01 a.m.

Please

Maybe their parents should take responsibility in raising their children so the Haitian culture can survive. If they won't do it, those children can find loving homes here and the parents who love them can raise them however they please. If their parents are giving them up, they are giving up the right to have their children carry on the Haitian culture.

• B
    Jan. 20, 2010 10:55 a.m.

re: please

Do you want them to stay there being THEMselves and die or to survive?

• Wihy? Didn't you read
    Jan. 20, 2010 10:17 a.m.

He IS flying in food for pete's sake. Read the article. There is nothing "selfish" in what he is doing shame on you for even saying that.

What "arms of the family" do you know about? These children are ORPHANS translation: they have no "arms of family" already. All he's doing is trying to get them to safety. There was a 6.1 aftershock today. How much more can be done for these children there in safety?

Please. Have a heart.

• Please
    Jan. 20, 2010 10:01 a.m.

Please do not adopt these children and turn them into copies of yourselves!

They are the future of Haiti and the Haitian culture!

If you want to help, help them rebuild their society and culture, but do not take them over and make them into YOU! That is not love, that is a pernicious form of selfishness!

• Warren Pugh
    Jan. 20, 2010 10:00 a.m.

Anyone else opposed to bureaucracy and in favor of hard work? I'd like to meet you.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:26 a.m.

This man is AMAZING! These kids are Orphans...they dont have families!!! They are in danger....this man is doing more than all of us! GOD BLESS HIM!

• Re: to WHY?
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:12 a.m.

Ok. I am a personal friend of jeremy. He has the biggest heart I have ever encountered. He would do anything for anyone. He does not have a selfish bone in his body and if you actually read the article it says he is bringing food to them also. He is not doing any harm by getting children homes and making sure they are safe and not going to die! Also orphans don't have parents he isn't just taking kids that have parents. Really you are very judgemental on someone you don't even know. why don't you try helping even if you are not rich instead of tearing someone elses efforts down!

• Re: why
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:59 a.m.

Read the story. These are orphans that are in the process of being adopted. The families waiting for these children are going to praise this man for years.

• Wlhy?
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:14 a.m.

Instead of trying to evacuate the island and taking children from their family and parents, why doesn't he fly in some needed supplies instead? I'm sure the children would rather be with family than in a strange and scary country.

It seems selfish to think he is doing anyone any good by kidnapping these children out of the arms of family. This is going a little too far in trying to help the people of Haiti. His sympathetic motives and gesture will do more harm than good for these children and their families.

• I love this guy.
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:43 a.m.

Jeremy's comments are the most human and sacred I think I've read in this entire week. And his true charity the most touching.You hang in there.

• thanks for this story
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:40 a.m.

Thanks to Amy of Des News for this story.

And THANKS to this guy with a brain and heart and the gumption to go with it. Blessings to him.

• I'm all for stealing!!
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:38 a.m.

Jeremy is my Hero and my Kindred Spirit.

He is doing what I have been wishing for days that someone would do--and what I would do if I had a helicopter:

"[Jeremy] would do anything to stanch the pain he sees coursing all around him, and the daily stabs of suffering he sees is like torture. So when it comes to bringing food to starving children, he'll steal it from the growing mountain of untouched aid at the airport and helicopter it to their door."

BLESS YOU JEREMY!
    You are one of the Jean val Jean's of Haiti!!

Your so-called 'stealing' is surely heaven blessed. We are praying for you.

• Saving a Childs life, brings Joy
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:05 a.m.

Thankyou St.George Pilot for being a person that understands helping a Broken down frail dying person.
    Most of All you sure made thier Day with "GoodIntentions" to some one whos in pain not enough food and water they have no place to go..

As youre making a Differnce to try to Help those Haiti Island people..