U.S. & World

LDS relief: Glimmers of hope amid horror in Haiti

Child's safe birth among rays of light seen at chapel

Comments

• to rhonda
    Jan. 23, 2010 7:14 p.m.

Go to healinghandsfor haiti website....

• rhonda
    Jan. 22, 2010 6:51 p.m.

I too might be able to go help in Haiti. Does anyone have information on how to contact the LDS doctors and nurses group who are mentioned in these writings? I am a respiratory therapist and EMT-Intermediate.

• kat
    Jan. 22, 2010 1:09 p.m.

grateful for messages of hope. I am rechecking MY 72 hour kit,making sure my family and I are prepared for a disaster.Working on being strong and ready so I can help my fellow man in times of need.
    Has everyone donated something extra yet for Haiti?

• LAB
    Jan. 22, 2010 12:33 p.m.

I may be able to go help in Haiti. I have an expired passport. The group I may be able to go with is leaving next week...wednesday or thursday. Any tips on how to renew a passport in days without flying to LA, Denver, Etc.???

• Keep it Positive
    Jan. 22, 2010 12:26 p.m.

Alaina, Thank-you!

• Alaina
    Jan. 22, 2010 11:57 a.m.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and all Christian Denominations have one common purpose, to follow Jesus Christ and do what He would do. As crisis occurs you will find that service is poured out from one to the other with all thoughts focused on giving help to those in need. As I serve I hope that the thanks offered is raised up to heaven. That those who are being lifted out of harms way will realize that I am there as a representative of Christ, that He has provided the way, and the means for their relief. Serving others blesses all. We all need to keep this in mind and keep those suffering as our focus and how to help them our responsibility. Follow the Savior's example and support all those who do. There is no better way.

• jean burns
    Jan. 22, 2010 11:36 a.m.

Most everyone remembers Katrina. I lived through it. While I personally know the LDS church members rendered much service to members & non-member for months after she hit. I never saw this mentioned in the newspaper or other media.
    And many people in the area wrongly believe we only helped members. The first people the volunteers helped were those who were providing protective services (police, firemen, emergency persomal, etc.)
    I am grateful that I can go to a website that let's me know how The Church is helping in Haiti.

• Keep it Positive
    Jan. 22, 2010 11:30 a.m.

We as members of the LDS church should not participate in the sarcastic and negative remarks posted here by replying back in the same negative and sarcastic manner. There is no place for such pettiness. It demeans us. The only way to define ourselves is to show who we are through our actions, deeds, and kind words. Therefore, if you can't say something nice then please don't say anything at all.

Thank-you to all those who are so willing and able to serve the people of Haiti. I wish I could be there with you.

• Honestly
    Jan. 22, 2010 10:52 a.m.

This is an LDS site, of course we are going to talke about LDS people helping and being helped. If you don't like it, go elsewhere!

• Kristen in Kansas City
    Jan. 22, 2010 10:23 a.m.

To all of you who are sooooo concerned with the name of the Church being mentioned in the article........Would you take issue if the article credited the names of other denominations as well? It would appear that those of you (you know who you are) who love to portray the LDS Church in a negative light 1) Probably tend to be very critical of others in general and 2) Are constanly looking for reasons to get offended and get your back up!

Just go with it! Who cares if the name of the Church is mentioned? Isn't this an LDS newspaper afterall? What do you want them to report on......Catholic Parochial schools and Jewish Synagogues?

To "What"......Sounds like you have a real beef with the LDS Church. Let me ask you this.....If the LDS Church or one of its members committed a big faux pas.....would you ignore the name of the church when mentioning the error? I'm guessing not.
    Come out of your mom's basement and get some sun! The sun does wonders for one's mood and outlook on life!

• Lisa
    Jan. 22, 2010 9:23 a.m.

I would like to comment. I was raised in Utah (I spent the first 31 years of my life there) and am very familiar with the LDS church. Although I am not a member-- no one has any right to critize them. The LDS church helps all...for example if anyone remembers the ice storm of 2009 in the Kentucky, Illinois area, where thousands were without power for 7-30 days, the local LDS church provided truckloads of food, water, gas, and generators to those without. Never once was anyone asked what denomination they were. The people of the LDS church are kind loving and giving Christians. They have traveled a rough road because of people's preconcieved ideas. I am proud to have been raised in a state where kind loving giving people and good morals are a way of life.

• Sarah
    Jan. 22, 2010 9:05 a.m.

Obviously, this is a case of a reporter doing his job. With so many people suffering so severely, it helps lift spirits to hear of the good being done. A reporter is to report the facts. Fact is, this story is taking place at an LDS facility. The doctors are not there making sure that everyone knows that they are LDS...nor are they marketing for the church. They are sacrificing their time and talents to help those in need. The reporter does a great job of clearing up any questions that would cause assumptions or speculations...by people of any religious affiliation.

• D Smith
    Jan. 22, 2010 4:54 a.m.

I agree about the comment in this article stating that people were being treated regardless of religion... I cringed when I read it! Please avoid this in the future. You aren't doing the LDS any service with that kind of reporting.

• Diane
    Jan. 21, 2010 6:13 p.m.

To 123 and all the other clouds on this post.
    Oh please..........almost every group or affiliation gets credit for what they are doing to help others. No religion or group is an exception.
    I don't believe that these people went there to seek the accolades of the world, but to help. You have to look into each individuals heart to see what their motives are...some may be better than others, but YOU do not know.
    Be careful in your judgements of others, "judge not, that ye be not judged."

• 123
    Jan. 21, 2010 3:50 p.m.

If you ignore the religion of those you help, then please ignore the religion of the helpers and stop turning this tragedy into a marketing campaign for your Church!

• Right on JJ!
    Jan. 21, 2010 3:39 p.m.

Yes, if you want to help, then help, but stop running around saying "Look at me, I am LDS and I am helping! Aren't we LDS so wonderful for helping!"

In the words of someone with whom you are supposed to be familiar:

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, [and on the Internet] that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." (Matt.6:1-2)

• JJ
    Jan. 21, 2010 9:51 a.m.

What? makes a good point. In person and in the media, LDS come across as some of the most self-absorbed, narcissists I have ever encountered! Just help and stop throwing your religious affiliation in everybody's face!

• RDS
    Jan. 21, 2010 8:28 a.m.

I am happy!people helping people whatever religion or race they may..thank you for sharing,thank you for caring,thank you for the LOVE!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 21, 2010 6:51 a.m.

Great Article! There are so many who say "I wish I could do more to help". Well, you can help make blankets (quilts), assemble the various "kits" etc. It takes many people working together to provide this kind of help and assistance. These seemingly small acts may mean life or death for someone.

Lets stop grumbling and do things the Lords way.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:44 p.m.

Thank you, doctors, for giving up so much to go serve like this. You are heroes!!!!

• Kay Stephens
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:38 p.m.

Yes there are LDS missionaries in Haiti and yes they all survived at least that is the report that I read when I checked my e-mail since I was not getting anything on local or national news. They are out there doing whatever they can to help.

• dd in CA
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:58 p.m.

Were there LDS missionaries in Haiti and did they all survive?

• Brent
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:48 p.m.

The church does indeed have it own self imposed building codes. You have international codes such as uniform build code which are used by professional architects everywhere. These code control risks. The church has managers of assets therefore they use professional codes to manage these assets.

• justanotherchildofGod
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:21 p.m.

Being a true Christian means going out amongst all people....In His eyes, we are all His children and He wants us to love one another like He loves us. These folks are out there helping others- not asking them what religion or denomination they are. If someone other than your own religion (maybe even a Muslim extremist)was bleeding to death on your doorstep, would you deny that person help? These wonderful people are doing God's work...I wish I could have gone. God bless them and the people of Haiti.

• Don M.
    Jan. 20, 2010 7:22 p.m.

Dr. Marc Johnson is my neighborhood and friend. He is a wonderful, caring person. He has a beautiful wife and family who is sharing him with Haiti. I am sure they are concerned about him being there. God Bless!

• Rasta1e
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:20 p.m.

The LDS church sure knows how to be helpful to all and not only benifit their own members. it seems to me that the "Mormons" are always being looked upon as bad christians and to the point where christians themselves exclude the "Mormons" as christians. but i guess theyve proven to theirslves, and many others who can see (me), that they sure kno how to perform "Christ-Like" actions. i wonder how they do it.
    Jah Bless

• Adam Buhler
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:05 p.m.

I cannot speak to building codes and such but compared to the rest of the buildings in the area, the church they are talking about in the article is very well built. I am not surprised to hear that it is still standing. The Central ward building is less than half a mile from the National Palace and National Cathedral, both of which have been reduced to piles of rubble. I'm happy to see that the church is able to house the homeless in such a time of need.

• Michelle
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:03 p.m.

Henry Huggins - quite possibly the most ignorant, self-righteous comment I have read. The religion of these doctors and nurses is irrelvant; they are humans helping humans in need. This isn't about which church or doctorine is right. Go study Christ's teachings and learn some humility.
    (Yes, I am LDS)

Thanks to the generosity of the LDS Church for financing this important aid mission. My uncle is one of the Orthopedic Surgeons traveling with this group.

• Henry Huggins
    Jan. 20, 2010 3:07 p.m.

This just proves that the church is true. How can you not deny it now? Cannot you see the miracles that no missionaries were killed and that they are using the churches to treat the injured. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

• Dear Who
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:58 p.m.

If someone is in a car accident, do you ask what religion they are before offering help? And if you do offer help to someone outside your religious beliefs, do you really need a pat on the back? You give members of your church a bad name

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:47 p.m.

Love that picture!

• Re: Building codes
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:47 p.m.

I would imagine that is the case with anything (temples, chapels, etc.) that is built. We answer to a higher authority. :)

• Building codes?
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:26 p.m.

I know that in the U.S., church buildings must meet certain safety codes. Does anyone know if this applies to church buildings in places like Haiti? I'm curious about that. It would be nice to think that the Church applies higher standards to their buildings, no matter where they are built.

• Supporter
    Jan. 20, 2010 2:17 p.m.

To Jimmy, you can keep your tax dollars, none of them were used for this mission or many other ones going on. These people went to Haiti out of pure love and at absolutely no cost to you. If you are going to make stupid remarks at least have your facts correct. If and when we get hit with a big earthquake I bet you will be one of the first ones waiting for someone who cares to come to your relief and chances are you will get it inspite of yourself.

• Rae
    Jan. 20, 2010 1:59 p.m.

The LDS church funds the help they are giving to Haiti and anyone else that needs it through donations from it's members and anyone else that would like to donate through the Humanitarian Center located in SLC, UT.

• Evelyn Hatton
    Jan. 20, 2010 1:34 p.m.

Your tax money has nothing to do with this.

• Jimmy
    Jan. 20, 2010 1:14 p.m.

You bleeding heart Libs never give it up! Stop taking MY tax money to give to FOREIGNERS! Got it?

• lovely photo
    Jan. 20, 2010 12:03 p.m.

Marilyn 10:31 thought this picture "a modern day Rembrandt the way you used the light from the window"

I thought that too.

The story of the new mother and baby (and their picture) were a small oasis in a sea of trouble.

• Timothy
    Jan. 20, 2010 11:09 a.m.

It is part of our duty to comfort and help those in need. President Monson talked about our duties to help others in his recent talk "What Have I Done for Someone Today?".

• Marilynn
    Jan. 20, 2010 10:31 a.m.

Thank you Jeffrey Allred for this beautiful photo on the front page. It is a moment of light, peace, love and hope. You are a modern day Rembrandt the way you used the light from the window.(of course I know that was probably the ONLY light, but just the same, it was beautifully done) I've been waiting for a photo like this to lift our spirits a little.

• Lindy
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:07 a.m.

So heartbreaking to see the devastation and tragedy in Haiti. Thank goodness that help is there to ease some of the suffering of those affected by that terrible disaster.

• who
    Jan. 20, 2010 9:06 a.m.

Dear What,
    We would love to hear of the many good works you have done for others.

• Ted Buzis
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:47 a.m.

I would just like to express my love and admiration for the great American people and the wonderful feeling of unconditional love in your hearts. I am an American living in Mexico and as each day passes give thanks for the blood that flows through my veins. We are such a wonderful nation despite the negative anti-american sentiment throughout the world. We show the world that the TRUE AMERICAN is a loving, unselfish, kind and charitable neighbor with much to offer and give no matter what our religious denomination is. We come together and put our shoulder to the wheel in times of need and disaster and this shows our CHARACTER. My Dear Doctors, Nurses and Mental Health Care givers, thank you so much for representing our state, nation and religion with such dignity and exemplary dedication. It is people like you that make this nation what it is. We WILL continue to PRAY and GIVE as long as it takes. I KNOW that through this tragedy MUCH "good" will come and most importantly HAITI will be the main benefactor. It will be a better nation after this and the people will be blessed even more than before.

• Adam Buhler
    Jan. 20, 2010 8:44 a.m.

I am so relieved to hear that much needed aid is arriving to the affected areas. My wife and I attended the Central Ward on Sunday the 10th, just 2 days before the disastrous earthquake. We were stranded in the devastated city of Jacmel after the earthquake and have safely made it home. The hardest part of this ordeal was leaving the suffering people of Haiti. As someone who has worked with Haitians for many years and is fluent in Haitian Creole, I wanted nothing more than to stay and help as much as I could. However, with a pregnant wife and the concern of our families back home, we had to come home immediately. I envy those that are able to pack up and leave at a moment's notice to help those who are so desperate for relief. My prayers go out to the people of Haiti and especially to the people helping distribute the aid. Thank you for the glimmers of hope in this time of despair!

Adam "Boule" Buhler

• Daughter
    Jan. 20, 2010 7:58 a.m.

Thanks for the stories Dad. As I went to bed last night I was wondering to myself if any babies could have survived the quake. It was touching to learn of a few miracles there. Thanks - Love Your Daughter

• Warren Pugh
    Jan. 20, 2010 7:51 a.m.

It is natural that folks would be concerned about alterior motives in the church's efforts to simply save lives.

I have greater concerns like the hawkish American press that would be best off rolling their sleaves up and going to work, rather than exploiting misery. Then of course CNN with the rest of its ilk is ignoring the efforts of Christian missionaries of all denominations some of whom have been laboring among these poor people for decades.

Warren

• Who, Why, When, How, What
    Jan. 20, 2010 7:24 a.m.

Who: It's about people helping people in times of need.

Why: Love your Neighbor as thyself, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

When: Donations to these types of situations started long ago in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That's why they are available to quickly help all and this "How" LDS donations and help are observed as being one of the first to aid others on the seen.

What: Give what you can. Give generously when you can. I'm guessing it will someday come back to benefit all of us in our time of need.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:55 a.m.

yes, so thankful to hear these stories.

• Thanks
    Jan. 20, 2010 6:16 a.m.

Thanks to this team and to Scott for keeping us updated.

With so little we can actually do, we hang on to each report and live vicariously through this team.

We pray for and send good wishes to them and hope their skills and energy and stamina can hold up to superhuman levels.

Mostly we pray for all the dear people of Haiti.

• Relax and Read
    Jan. 19, 2010 11:59 p.m.

It's very much a non-issue, but unfortunately needs to be clarified for some who have posted comments here: The reason the reporter writes that both members of the LDS Church and nonmembers alike are being treated is because the article states that 4,000 people are congregating at the seven chapels. If the reporter doesn't mention this, we as readers are left to our own assumptions -- which one of them could be that all there are members and that the LDS Church is only allowing members to stay there. A good reporter gives the readers the information needed so they don't need to make assumptions. You would see the exact same kind of reporting, for example, in Orlando covering the services of a Catholic charity in Haiti working from a Catholic church.

I feel fortunate to have these updates and pray that this medical staff and others are able make an impact on the great people of Haiti. Godspeed.

• Rob
    Jan. 19, 2010 11:06 p.m.

Thank you for doing so much to help these desperate people of Haiti. I am so glad to hear that some LDS Churches made it through the earthquake. They will be a great blessing to many.
    Help from so many different groups makes a difference. I know so many people wish they could do more.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 19, 2010 9:07 p.m.

Thank you doctors for donating your time and energies!

• Re: What?
    Jan. 19, 2010 8:35 p.m.

I can tell by your nasty attitude that if it were not pointed out then you would probably be the first to accuse the doctors and nurses of only being there to treat the Mormons. It is because of hate-filled people like you that this has to be mentioned at all.

• doctors and nurses
    Jan. 19, 2010 8:28 p.m.

I applaud the doctors and nurses! What a wonderful work they are involved in, really making a difference instead of sitting in their million dollar homes watching all unfold on their big screen TV. They are willing to leave family and home with little notice to help others in need. These are true Christians!

• RE: What?
    Jan. 19, 2010 7:52 p.m.

It's worse for you to focus on a simple thing and be so negative during this dificult time for the people of Haiti, than for them to make sure people know they are helping everyone. At least they are there sacrificing their time away from their own families and suffering with them. You are most likely in the confort of your home only critizising those trying to help.
    I hope there were more people that talked less and did more.
    Prayers with people of Haiti and all volunteers trying to help

• michelle
    Jan. 19, 2010 6:55 p.m.

to the What? comment. I think you're confusing reporters with members of the church. I am a member and would truly help anyone without even asking affiliation. I don't think it's the members making this a big deal... but the reporter... not good reporting.

Please don't say "Only Mormons". I have never said "Only non-mormons" (oops, just did)

• S. Hamilton
    Jan. 19, 2010 6:53 p.m.

The reason it is mentioned that the church is helping everyone is because people accuse us of being exclusionary, isolated and non Christian. We are trying to follow Christ, including everyone regardless of how or what they may worship. We want to be able to define ourselves since so many have chosen to define us.

• D.M. Bramwell
    Jan. 19, 2010 6:50 p.m.

I am so grateful the team arrived and their clinic is open. I spent almost four years in the Dominican Republic and have a deep love for the people of that Caribbean Island.

Each time you flip a switch for electricity, turn on a faucet for clean water or even flush a toilet, you probably give no thought to these simple every day things, but for the Haitians right now, these would be considered miracles.

May we send many prayers and $$$'s to their aid.

• What?
    Jan. 19, 2010 5:12 p.m.

While the LDS medical team is comprised entirely of Mormon doctors, nurses and emotional-health specialists, they are treating and seeing anyone, regardless of church affiliation.

Why does it even have to mentioned that they treated anyone regardless of church affliation? Any other church ministries offer help in tragedy. But no one would think it was a big deal to help someone outside their church. Only Mormans! Why is it such a big deal to help someone outside of your religion? Jesus tended to all.

• June Beharrell England
    Jan. 19, 2010 4:59 p.m.

So proud that the Church is able to help provide the medical help so much needed in this terrible disaster. Our prayers are with those who are still looking for their loved ones,those who have lost family and friends,also the doctors and nurses who have made the effort to travel and help those injured. Thank you.

• Tye Chadwick
    Jan. 19, 2010 4:40 p.m.

You're doing a great thing in reporting the positive things happening in such a devastating disaster. Are thoughts and prayers are with you and your family while you are away. I look forward to your reports daily.