LDS Church sending aid to Haitian survivors

Water, food are the top needs; churches being used for shelter

• Doreen
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:29 p.m.

The Haitian Tragedy is so diverstating, we pray that the Lord helps them through this difficulty time, am happy to be an LDS member and to show my concern and hand in my donation. May the Lord help you through remember that faithful giving makes real receiving possible. God bless you all!!

• Elizabeth
    Jan. 23, 2010 11:31 a.m.

We have given the little dollars we can (no income at this time) and want to send many needed items to Haiti: sheets, towels, clothing, unopened painkiller medication & antibacterial ointment, tent, water filtering bottles, batteries, flashlights, etc. Can you connect us with a distribution network? Thanks.

• Kristen in Kansas City
    Jan. 19, 2010 9:19 a.m.

While reading your posts......a scripture came to mind. It goes a little something like this.

3 Ne. 11: 29- For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.

Just sayin! Think about it before you try to engage in a battle of the tongues......or keystrokes!

• IDiane
    Jan. 18, 2010 5:14 p.m.

I appreciate the comments that stick to the situation rather than reverting to their own self. Seems like a site like this shouldn't be about pushing and shoving one's way to the front.

• Daniel Portela
    Jan. 18, 2010 10:16 a.m.

FIco feliz em saber que o Reino do Senhor aqui na Terra pode ajudar essas almas que tanto sofrem...
    Amo essa Igreja!!!

• Leslie
    Jan. 18, 2010 8:51 a.m.

The Haitian tragedy is devastating and a reminder to all of us to be prepared for ourselves and to help our brothers and sisters wherever they might be.

I'm thankful to the church for their ever ready preparedness and quick response. I am also grateful that there are so many good people who are also looking for ways to respond. It certainly takes our hearts away from our own challenges.

It is interesrting that the church is sending water filtration bottles instead of water. That kind of goes along with the quotation "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime." Now they will have water forevermore. Too bad we cannot do that with food and medical supplies.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 17, 2010 10:08 p.m.

99% of the aid that the LDS church gives all year, all over the world to members and non-members, is anonymous. It is amazing that when its actions are made public that some people just have to find fault. I don't think the Haitians care where the help is coming from, why should we?

Thanks to millions of LDS members worldwide who donate time and money (all year long, not just in a crisis), the church is in a position to help. Many of these donations come from people who are scarcely better off then those receiving the aid.

I doubt the Haitians care whether the intentions of the givers are self righteous or altruistic.

• mike
    Jan. 17, 2010 9:20 p.m.

It is gratifying to know that all of my small donation in Brisbane Australia is helping those in difficulty whom I have not seen. Don't knock it. One day our donations may help you. Are you ready for your own disaster? Possibly you will need some of my donation. I will give annonomously & freely.

• colinalcarz
    Jan. 17, 2010 12:05 p.m.

I appreciated this article with its update on the church's response to the disaster. I hope another is forthcoming as the situation changes. I hadn't noticed before today, that there is a separate line on the tithing receipt that reads "humanitarian aid" in addition to tithing and fast offerings. I put my donation in that today. I know the red cross works closely with the church and some of its leadership are members so I imagine donating to the church's HA branch will have very direct, effective, immediate results.

• Linda Kreutzer
    Jan. 17, 2010 11:30 a.m.

Who cares which church, insitution, organization or country contributes the most or least to assist and help Haiti; what matters is humanitarian support. There will be many lessons learned from this catasphrophe; perhaps those contentious here may like to start learning about false pride. I think it is wonderful that the Church is well organized and knowing exactly where to go to start aiding.
    OH BTW ... hey JPL, nice to see you on here.

• anonymous2
    Jan. 17, 2010 10:18 a.m.

I hope someone with authority and technical savvy will delete ALL these comments.

• Matt in Nyssa, OR
    Jan. 17, 2010 9:22 a.m.

I find it incredible, from what I understand, that the LDS Church has donated more to this relief effort than the governments of Iran, Venezuela, China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia combined.
    Expressing one's pride in the fact the LDS Church is exceptionally well organized, when it comes to aiding people in disasters, is no sin. It's a pat on the back to the hundreds--if not thousands--of people who work to amass the supplies, warehouse them, and ship them to their destinations and intended recipients. Let's not forget the individuals and vendors who provide the materiel in the first place.
    To express gratitude that LDS Missionaries are safe is no sin. I believe the same people would express sorrow over the loss of Missionaries of other faiths, as well (which there sadly have been). We are all Children of our Heavenly Father.

• Gail in central NY
    Jan. 16, 2010 8:08 p.m.

Our thought and prayers are with the peoples of Haiti and their families.I am saddened by the contention on this site and on the wasted thoughts and words. May we each find the time to ask Our Father in Heaven to comfort those in need of comfort, guide those who are in leadership both within government,churches and organizations.May we be ever grateful for the blessing we have and for the direction we are given to be prepared.Is your 72 hour kit complete and do you ave a spare packed for someone else in need? May you feel the comfort and love of our Savior Jesus Christ,and do the right thing regardless of how much you have already done.Let there be Peace on Earth and let it begin with me.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 16, 2010 5:22 p.m.

Gayle, you don't get it. People are grateful that the organization they donate money to, is able to quickly help those who are suffering in Haiti. Most of us cannot go there ourselves and all we can really do to help, is to donate our money. We are ever so grateful to have a means of helping those brothers and sisters of ours who are so far away and suffering so greatly. Before you jump to conclusions, we believe all mankind are our brothers and sisters, not just those who are members or our church. In addition to donating money, we do ask the Lord's help for our brothers and sisters in Haiti. It is all we can do.

• anon
    Jan. 16, 2010 3:41 p.m.

Wow, I just wasted 3 good minutes reading these posts, most of which were pointless. And, come on guys, if you wand to sound smart at least check your spelling before you post.

• Clark
    Jan. 16, 2010 3:12 p.m.

@Gayle Jacobson 2:53 - I find it distrubing that, no matter what the story is, no matter who is involved, someone, somehow finds a way of kicking the LDS Church and its members in the teeth. In their view, nothing the LDS Church or its members do is good enough.

Very sad.

• Gayle Jacobson
    Jan. 16, 2010 2:53 p.m.

I find it disturbing that people are more proud of the LDS church then they express concern for the dead and displaced. I find this very telling of the current mormon culture. Very sad.

• For: A in LA
    Jan. 16, 2010 1:50 p.m.

"A in LA" clearly has an attitude and it isn't a good one.

• annonymous
    Jan. 16, 2010 9:23 a.m.

Greg Mortenson's "Stones into Schools" talks, in part, about the devastation of a recent earthquake in Pakistan. The book really helped me have a better idea of what surviving something like this means to families and individuals. It helped me understand a little better what people might need, and the challenges involved in delivering aid to remote places. After having read it, I had to donate to Haiti. I chose "Feed the Poor" to donate through, as they are already there, and 97% of what you donate actually ends up reaching the people. Aparently, the LDS Church has a cooperative relationship with "Feed the Poor", as well.

• Dan in Tempe
    Jan. 16, 2010 1:22 a.m.

I'm grateful for the Humanitarian Aide the church provides in times like these. I'm most grateful that the assistance is well thought out as well. They can bring relief all the faster.

• Glen
    Jan. 15, 2010 11:47 p.m.

Having attended a ward in New York that was roughly half Haitian, I can testify of the humility and dedication of many of the Haitian members. They have a great deal of faith in God. The Haitian people have suffered much yet I believe that out of this adversity will come a better future for the Haitian people. They are strong people.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 15, 2010 10:36 p.m.

Come together right now. (beatles song).

• Robert A
    Jan. 15, 2010 9:31 p.m.

It is very gratifying to see people overcome man made barriers to assist each other as children of God. I am humbled by the gospel in action.

• pmterry
    Jan. 15, 2010 8:17 p.m.

Where is the Christian in us? Instead I'm reading bickering over the inconsequential when Haiti is experiencing - and has always experienced - a life of abject poverty, with little voice or hope, far removed from any of us. We should be thanking the Lord for our blessings and sharing our thoughts and prayers and resources for and with those most in need.

• Question
    Jan. 15, 2010 7:01 p.m.

The article about the Haitian student attending BYU mentions that her family there was staying in an LDS Stake Center which they had to evacuate from because the Stake Center fell down as a result of aftershocks. This seems to contradict the statement that all the LDS chapels are okay.

Which is true?

• mikec
    Jan. 15, 2010 5:27 p.m.

how can you people argue after all this tragedy? time to come together, people!

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 15, 2010 1:39 p.m.

What I mean by impossible to prove is not so much it is unclear who posted a given comment. This is at times ambiguous, at least to someone other than the actual users of a name.
    However, it is impossible to prove in many cases intent to decieve, and in fact intent can only be demonstrated when the posing poster directly uses another name.
    With my name it is not as clear a case of identity ambiguity as some.
    However there are regular posters who use the names pagan, realitycheck and cats. There have been cases of other people using all three of these names, but it is hard to prove that the other uses intentionally stole the moniker, as opposed to having independently come to use it and not realized that it was already a commonly used one.

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 15, 2010 1:35 p.m.

To H in Boise,
    I have a friend named H. On to more pertinant things.
    I think it would help if you used the term moderator. If you really want to help people engage in more civil conversations, than use terms that exude civility.
    Another possible term is monitor. I suggest this one because they say they monitor comments. However, moderator is the normal term.
    Internet forums have rules. Your participation is conditioned on your obeying of the rules. The moderator makes sure rules are followed.
    However, the Desnews does not promise to post all comments. The first four listed categories for exclusion are very arbitrary.
    I would argue that the hardest to enforce is the rule on misrepresentative comments. This would cover comments in which people lie about their identity, or in which they favor a policy opposite what they believe in to try and discredit their opponants by making them seem more extreme than they really are. Due to the open nature of postings, this is hard to detect.
    It also covers the use of a posting name in a way to suggest you are a different commentor. However with no registration this is impossible to prove.

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 15, 2010 1:28 p.m.

To MikeC,
    Your issue is actually not with AinLA but with the commetor under the name @Denis. AinLA was not responding to Denis, but to @Denis.
    I think it might help if we rethought the tone of our comments. I am glad that the DN moderators have removed some of the most inflamatory ones. Since I did not actually read Wendy's comment, I am only guessing about its content, but I think if it was still present AinLA's point would be more clear and his tone would be even less surprising.
    It is truly a difficult thing, and I fail as much if not more than most people, but we need to try to not let others hatred rub onto us.
    A soft answer turneth away wrath.

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 15, 2010 1:20 p.m.

To the 7:41 commentor,
    Since ALL LDS missionaries in Haiti are Haitians, you are creating a false diachotomy in your comment.
    Beyound this, what Denis was saying is that it is good for people that the LDS Chapels are well built and were not destroyed. Did you even read the article? There are 500-600 people sheldtered in the chapels, and it appears they belong to many religions.
    With so many other buildings falling, it is good to have some that are in good shape.
    I am sure there are other well built buildings that stood. However, for the 500-600 people mentioned above, they only care that the building they are in is a safe place during the aftershocks.
    Helping people is not a zero sum game.

• H in Boise
    Jan. 15, 2010 11:31 a.m.

I would appreciate an explanation from the censor as to why my previous submittal was not posted. I was attempting to let all know that there are those who will troll (i.e. those who misrepresent themselves by posting comments with the intent to shed a bad light on the Church or its members). I was trying to help others to not attribute such posts as being representative of the general membership of the Church, or the Church itself. It is frustrating that those who submit comments to incite get posted, but not posts from someone trying to call them out.

• To: Mike and A
    Jan. 15, 2010 10:54 a.m.

Guys, knock of the arguing and snide comments, this is not about you and what you have and haven't done. You ought to know better as Church members to recognize that this is a time for us to come together especially if we have the financial resources to help out in the dreadful situation. Keep it to a higher level, and think about the people in need. As an LDS Church member I find arguing among ourselves in a public forum distasteful and unnecessary.

• A in LA
    Jan. 15, 2010 10:16 a.m.

MIKE -You have no idea how many times or the amounts I hae donated "all my life". I am a member of the Church and have donated faithfully through them and others "all my life". I did not wait to be "asked" for extra donations during Katrina before I donated. Pehaps you are just a bit self righteous yourself...what's that about a beam in our own eye.....

• anonymous
    Jan. 15, 2010 9:53 a.m.

Christian,Pastors,lay people and workers have been involved with the people of Haiti for a couple hunderd years. The aid from The Mormons and Muslims is wonderful. Medical supplies have always been a problem.

• MikeC
    Jan. 15, 2010 9:45 a.m.

What a blessing it is to have these resources available.

A in LA: Don't be so judgemental...Those on this board heralding the fact that the missionaries are safe and the meeting houses were spared are grateful that it means that there are more hands to help, and places to organize, administer, minister, and store. No, God doesn't love any one child more than another, but it is possible that through the misfortune of natural disaster or calamity, he provides a way for His children to be taken care of by their brother/sister.

Mike: Like you I have tried throughout my life to observe an honest fast and donate a generous fast offering. The past 10 years of so I have been in a position to donate 10 times what I had the first 10 years of my marriage. Hundreds of millions of dollars are collected annually through the LDS Church for these such purposes. Shame on the naysayers, and shame on the criticizers...this is the Lord's way.

What a great blessing to have so many groups working together. SalvationArmy, Muslim relief, RedCross, LDSHumanitarianAid, and other religious groups...this is the Lord's Way!

• To: Wendy
    Jan. 15, 2010 9:31 a.m.

I'm gald they removed your post.

• For: Wendy
    Jan. 15, 2010 9:21 a.m.

No, there are no strings attached to the aid provided by the LDS Church, unlike many government programs. I sincerely hope you never have to endure a natural disaster of this magnitude. It's hard to be sarcastic when you are relying on the kindness of others.

• Mike
    Jan. 15, 2010 9:02 a.m.

A in LA, I'm glad you made your donations. I have donated all my life to the LDS Church Welfare fund through my Fast Offerings. I have added extra when asked (Katrina, etc). I'm glad that these donations that I have made all through my life are being used to help these people. So don't act so self righteous because you donated once.

To hear the Missionaries are fine, and the church buildings are fine is also good. That gives the Church places to help not only the members, but everyone else who comes for help.

• A in LA
    Jan. 15, 2010 8:38 a.m.

@DENIS AND WENDY, Perhaps your time would be better spent in actually DOING something to help out rather than writing lame, pathetic comments like these....and yes, I HAVE made a donation. Have you?

• Bill Bertelsen
    Jan. 15, 2010 7:49 a.m.

Way to go "Church of Jeses Christ of Latter Day Saints" commonly known as the "Mormon Church" . I am so proud to be a member of this Christian church. Also of the human race of good people who step up to the responsability to help in any way they can when a disaster happens.
    Loveing one another and looking out for the poor and needy, injured and destitute, in so many ways is the way of Jesus Christ. May God bless all involved.I hope that this tragity can bring peace to all the world and put a smile on the face of GOD.

• @Denis
    Jan. 15, 2010 7:41 a.m.

right because god cares more about Mormon missionaries then the Haitian people. I realize that is not what you mean but please be more careful what you say

• Help?
    Jan. 15, 2010 7:30 a.m.

What do they need, ?& What can we do?

• Junior
    Jan. 15, 2010 7:00 a.m.

Its phenomenal That all missionaries were protected and that even the meeting house were spared. It does show the the lord protect his faithful saints and also afirm the truthful and sacredness of the restoration.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 14, 2010 9:49 p.m.

I love how prepared the LDS church is for disasters and how it doesn't seem to matter whether or not the people they help are members of their church or not. I have been to their humanitarian aid center and they tirelessly work to prepare for disasters such as this one I wondered if all the work was worth it but at moments like this you know it is

• Denis
    Jan. 14, 2010 9:32 p.m.

It's a blessing that there were no missionaries in danger or injured. The building standards of LDS chaples is a God sent for these poor people. How wonderful it is to see the world work together and help this country and their people.

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 14, 2010 8:46 p.m.

Hopefully this aid can get to those who need it in a timely fashion. With buildings crashed and roads destroyed, and people trapped inside buildings even getting aid to people will at times prove difficult.

• Haiti releif
    Jan. 14, 2010 7:02 p.m.

There are several Christian groups that have a active prescence in Haiti, The Salvation Army and The Cross international,along with the donations of Mormons and Muslim charities, the response should be great. The Salvation Army has a history of working with Muslims,I don't know about any history with Mormons.

• Judy
    Jan. 14, 2010 6:13 p.m.

It's nice to hear that the Church was ready to go. And what a blessing that the church has supplies close to the disaster.