Utah

Humane Society of Utah did not have to euthanize any healthy dogs in 2009

Comments

• Alpo say's thanks
    Jan. 11, 2010 6:21 p.m.

All These wonderful dogs and cats need their very own human lap pet. Someone has to keep the human pets away from the gutters and fire hydrants.

• Thanks to the volunteers
    Jan. 11, 2010 6:09 p.m.

like Evan Makin and scores of others who help the Humane Society provide loving care for these to-be pets until they can be adopted.

• Detractors
    Jan. 11, 2010 2:06 p.m.

To "Going to the Dogs and Missed a Brain"

I bet there are a whole lot of people who could wake up tomorrow and not noitce if you were gone either. Personally I would rather have a dog than most people. I am in favor or adopting dogs and I am opposed to abortion. Same thing, I would like to save lives of babies and animals. Both can enrich our lives. By the way I have 2 B.A. degrees and a Master's so I'm not really in the simpleton category.

• Good Story
    Jan. 11, 2010 1:46 p.m.

This is a bit of good news for a change.

This story is not about abortion. It's about an animal shelter trying to get as many animals adopted as possible.

The continuous suggestions that people who care about animals don't care about people is really getting tiresome and insulting.

Perhaps these suggestions are coming from individuals who like people but hate animals. Therefore they assume that everyone who likes animals must hate people. Far from the truth.

• missed a brain
    Jan. 11, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Dog people are simpletons. Their human dogs have more brains than they do.

These dog blogs kill me.

• GoodNews&Thank you UTAH
    Jan. 11, 2010 1:14 p.m.

FOR SAVING THEM)

• Going to the dogs
    Jan. 11, 2010 12:32 p.m.

A dog is a subhuman, stupid, insignificant animal. In my opinion, dogs in general are nice, but I wouldn't even notice if I woke up tomorrow and there were no more of them.

It's interesting that liberals are happy when a puppy gets adopted and a baby human gets aborted.

I think every person who truly believes in the right to legalize abortion-on-demand should do the only honorable thing to profess his/her sincerity- take his/her own life to avoid hypocrisy.

• Thankyou! For Saving ones Animal
    Jan. 11, 2010 12:07 p.m.

PLEASE ADOPT WHEN YOU CAN!

• BobP
    Jan. 11, 2010 11:20 a.m.

My cat was reading over my shoulder and purring approvingly until he got to the part about neutering. At that point he threw a minor hissy fit.

• Good News
    Jan. 11, 2010 10:35 a.m.

NOWWW, if we can only train the animal owners into being good PETS for their doggies and kitties.

• RE Anonymous | 8:15 a.m.
    Jan. 11, 2010 10:26 a.m.

THANK YOU!! Amen!

• Don't forget
    Jan. 11, 2010 10:13 a.m.

Salt Lake County Animal Services, adoption rates have gone through the roof for canines and felines. Euthanizing healthy domestic pets is unthinkable.

• Great Work
    Jan. 11, 2010 10:02 a.m.

Congratulations on this great achievement Humane Society! I'm happy to say my wife and I adopted one of your great dogs in this past year and she has brought so much fun and joy into our lives! Once we can get into a home with a nice big yard we'll be adding a couple more!

• SLH
    Jan. 11, 2010 9:21 a.m.

Great work HSU! Everyone, please spay and neuter your pets.

• Ruth in Texas
    Jan. 11, 2010 9:11 a.m.

That is wonderful news. Thanks HSU. I love animals of any kind. Healthy animals should never be killed.

• Wonderful news
    Jan. 11, 2010 9:06 a.m.

This is such wonderful news. All 3 of our dogs are rescue dogs. It just tears me apart to think about the thousands of healthy animals nationwide who are euthanized because they cannot find a home.

I am so grateful for the work the Humane Society has done this year to achieve the goal of no euthanasia of healthy dogs, and for the wonderful groups like No More Homeless Pets in Utah, Summit County Friends of Animals, and Best Friends Society.

To have no euthanized dogs is quite an accomplishment, given the difficulty in placing animals with the current economic conditions. Let's hope this trend can continue and follow with the other animals at the shelter, as well.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 11, 2010 8:15 a.m.

I love my animals. Believe me, I'd have to in order to own and care for the MANY that I have on our little hobby farm. But, this story brings out feelings of sadness in me. I just wish that abortion - the murder of human life - would be treated as passionately as the care of dogs, cats and other animals are.

• Evets
    Jan. 11, 2010 8:06 a.m.

Thank you HSU for doing such a great job. My two present dogs were adopted from HSU and they are the best dogs. The oldest was a dog that had been adopted twice and returned before I took him. He is the best dog especially with little kids. The latest I adopted about three months ago. He was a dog transfered in from Idaho. At the time he was skinny, very sick, and at lackluster. After vet visits, IVs, several antibiotics and other meds he started to get some energy, brightened up, filled out and now is a big bundle of energy. He loves to play and is very loving. He is learning quickly and doing very well.

What a blessing both dogs are. I would not have them if it were not for the HSU who found them and made them available. Thanks again.

• Pagan
    Jan. 11, 2010 8:01 a.m.

Whoo hoo!

• Good for the dogs
    Jan. 11, 2010 7:20 a.m.

When will we see the same headline with respect to unwanted human pregnancies?

• Lindy
    Jan. 11, 2010 7:17 a.m.

What an amazing difference this Humane Society has made! Hope all shelters can have the same success in finding homes for dogs and cats!

• Spay and neuter
    Jan. 11, 2010 7:15 a.m.

Wow! Great job! Now if people would spay and neuter their cats (and dogs) there wouldn't be such a problem.

• Adopt, Foster,,Spay & nueter
    Jan. 11, 2010 12:16 a.m.

HumaneSociety
    for giving them a second chance

• Anonymous
    Jan. 10, 2010 10:34 p.m.

What great news! Way to go, Humane Society!!!

• Rover
    Jan. 10, 2010 9:52 p.m.

If people are going to own dogs and make them their children than they should also go through prenatal-canine classes, so that they can be good dog parents.