Josh Powell packs up West Valley City home

Some in his family question move with wife still missing

Jan. 18, 2010 4:30 p.m.

why hasn,t josh been named a suspect?

because they have not evidence of a crime

• CJ
    Jan. 15, 2010 1:38 a.m.

why hasn,t there been any forthcoming information from the press and the wvcpd? why hasn,t josh been named a suspect? why hasn,t her body been found yet? yes i wonder if susan could have just walked away,stranger things have been known to happen.if josh was truly a person of interest they would have already arrested him.so,something is not right here,just my 2 cents.

• Fading story
    Jan. 14, 2010 1:57 p.m.

Sad but true, if Josh hadn't moved away last weekend, there would have been even less to keep this story in the news. I think we are out of things to report about, until they either find Susan's body or charge Josh with a crime.

It's sad to think that after a month and a week, or so, she's being forgotten by her husband and everyone else too.

• child protection
    Jan. 12, 2010 6:31 a.m.

can he be charged for putting his children at risk for taking them camping in the middle of the night in below-zero temps?

• RedRaider
    Jan. 11, 2010 4:14 p.m.

I understand the people giving him the benefit of the doubt but you don't do the things he's doing if you have nothing to hide. People conceal when they feel they're wrong. It's called human nature.

Jan. 11, 2010 3:26 p.m.

Obviously the police have no reason to hold him here

Jan. 11, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Kudos to the photog for the picture of Josh standing next to the "where will you go next" sign on the truck. Very fitting on many levels!

• listen to Not In the USA @4:38
    Jan. 10, 2010 2:53 p.m.

These things do happen, and they are scary.

• Good point Pete
    Jan. 10, 2010 1:33 p.m.

His neighbors are helping him pack to get him out of their neighborhood. Good thinking, can't blame you one bit.

• HUH?
    Jan. 10, 2010 1:26 p.m.

Poor Josh! He looks like he has lost weight? Well, just what physical condition do you think Susan may be in now????

Let the guy alone??? I don't think so. Yes, the law will handle this, but this is America and we are free to state our opinions. If you do not like what is being stated here, then don't read it.

I am supportive of Susan, her precious boys, and the Cox family. No one else.

Kiirsi is going to organize a fundraiser? For what? I think she needs to go home and just shut up.

Jan. 10, 2010 12:32 p.m.

He looks like he has lost weight. I wish the media would leave the guy alone.

The law will handle this

• former Utahn
    Jan. 10, 2010 10:57 a.m.

Did he take the swingset?

• Ernest T. Bass
    Jan. 10, 2010 10:51 a.m.

I love the due process granted by these uber-conservatives on the comment boards.
    The constitution is only partially inspired, right?

• Melissa
    Jan. 10, 2010 10:01 a.m.

These comments are funny about people from Utah being judgemental...what does that have to do with anything?! Anyone with a brain (whether they live in Utah, New York or anywhere else for that matter) knows this guy is suspicious.

• Gordon
    Jan. 10, 2010 9:49 a.m.

Susan Powell's journal is also source of information it contains description of Josh's characteristic.

• Marie.,,I wonder if shes Alive?
    Jan. 10, 2010 5:28 a.m.

Like a few others
    Shes in the Missing People report!

• Photographers...
    Jan. 10, 2010 1:29 a.m.

...are constantly in his face. I don't know if he is guilty or innocent. He knows, and God knows, and eventually it will come out. But just looking at the camera man in the photo that accompanies this article would be enough to make me want to go somewhere else! The circumstances are very strange, no doubt. I feel bad for Josh, for Susan, and for their children and extended family. It would be helpful if he would be more forthcoming about the things he knows. But without a job to support himself and his children, I can understand why he might want to be closer to family, and away from the area where people are constantly looking at him, photographing him, etc. I hope this will be resolved soon. It is a very sad situation all around.

• Really?
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:52 p.m.

Cooperate with the authorities. Why wouldn't he? Is this another one of those crazy Mormon things?

Jan. 9, 2010 11:24 p.m.

A sickening tragedy.

Jan. 9, 2010 11:03 p.m.

Thank you. If Lie detectors were the answer we wouldn't need juries any more. They are unpredictable and fairly worthless in my opinion. Taking one would be a lose lose situation for Josh.

If he passed, everyone would think he magically lied his way through the test and passed. He has proved nothing by passing the test.

If he fails, he HAS to be guilty, right? Again, he is much better off (whether he did it or not) not taking such a test.

Jan. 9, 2010 10:55 p.m.

I just don't get it! How do you just leave?

• shecky
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:33 p.m.

The "lie detector" test. I once took a polygraph for a job, and the results were positive on homosexuality and pot smoking. I may wear an occasional pink shirt, and smell bad, but I am neither gay, nor do I smoke weed.

You folks who are demanding a polygraph evidently don't understand why they are not admissible in court.

• idaho bob
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:16 p.m.

what would I do if my wife disappeared? I have no job?....I'd move back to where I had my family and get work there if I could. pretty simple if you ask me..

• CBS 48 Hours Mystery Statistic
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:54 p.m.

25% of all suspects convicted and then exonorated by DNA were coerced into initially confessing to the crime.

• AZtransplant
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:08 p.m.

Funny- I've lived in several other states all across the country and I've NEVER run across people that hate Utahns. I've also found that people are pretty much the same all over the country and if you took this case and transposed it anywhere- the reactions of neighbors and the community would be about the same as what I've heard and read here. Those of you complaining about the people of Utah have clearly not lived anywhere else and maybe you should try a new location for a while. Maybe that would help you get the chip off your shoulder about Utah!
    Meanwhile, I think the police are being very careful to cross all their "t"s and dot their "i"s and I think that they know a whole lot more than they are being given credit for. I have my opinions about Josh Powell... and we'll see if they are accurate!

• mark
    Jan. 9, 2010 8:48 p.m.

And what does he tell his wife shows...Sory honey I moved I would have left a forwarding but you know how it is.

• @Opinions Are Like...
    Jan. 9, 2010 8:27 p.m.

"Stop being the reason why other people around the country hate people from Utah"

Please tell me again why other people around the country hate people from Utah.

I moved here from the East Coast... I moved here because I loved the people here in Utah. I love the mountains, the relatively mild weather (compared to some of the humid east-coast winters, this weather is great)

Your comment only tells the rest of us, you've got some beef. Wait, let me guess. You hate Mormons, right?

Let me guess, again. You used to be Mormon, right? You know, not everybody in Utah is Mormon. I consider myself every bit as much a Utahn as my Mormon neighbors.

In NYC there is a high concentration of Jewish families. I don't recall the people of NYC picking on that religion like I see the people attacking my Mormon friends. Whattup with that?

Jan. 9, 2010 7:58 p.m.

Mary, if the forensic aren't in by now, they aren't coming in.

Jan. 9, 2010 7:33 p.m.

The police must have nothing on this guy,it's to quite on their part.We may all think he did it but until they have just cause he can do anything he damn well pleases.His action are a bit strange to all but this guy is also a control freak so it looks like he has decided to move on with his life because he knows she's not coming back.I really think what ever was done with her body he knows they are'nt going to find it. This might be the perfect murder.This seems like a well planned crime. She wanted a divorce and he wasn't going to lose those kids, thats what this is all about. This has been planned a long time no doubt.You don't just forget to call off work I"m sorry.You don't run fans in the dead of winter either. Another killer wouldn't of cared if the place was tidy and the door was locked. And if she left him she would of taken her purse a woman never leaves her purse.

• to Saltyt SeaShells
    Jan. 9, 2010 7:28 p.m.

If it were California Law, no killer would be found and he'd be golfing in Florida until he was arrested in Las Vegas for battering a pawn shop owner.

• Perhaps
    Jan. 9, 2010 7:26 p.m.

It's just possible Susan made a choice most of her friends and family won't consider. Josh knows and is letting her off the hook cuz he still loves her. It's possible Susan wrote comments in the notebook cuz she hates him that badly and would cast doubt on him. Has anyone checked to see if any funds were embezzled where she worked?

We have a long-standing tradition in this state of "the nicest people" making off with other people's money.

• SaltySeaShells,Josh isHiding
    Jan. 9, 2010 7:01 p.m.

More to What he knows Another ScottPeterson ACT of
    I dont remember on what I Done Or What Day it was?
    Someday soon The Crime will catch him in the mystery

+If it was California Law it would be Three Strikes+

• kanaka818
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:48 p.m.

Of course he doesn't have a job. He "forgot" to go to work on Monday.

• Patience
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:44 p.m.

If he did do this, the authorities will find out, and if they don't, he will have to one day pay for his crime, if he did it.

I have to admit that his behavior is very strange, like he knew what he would do once she was gone. When my husband was dying, I knew what I was going to do, I thought it out all the time. He died from a disease, so he didn't just suddenly disappear, but I went through things in my head over and over again.

I have no doubt that there is a lot of evidence that has been gathered and that since he is a person of interest, he will be under constant watch. I am not sure, but it seems like both of their families are from Washington, maybe this move is to help his boys to get closer to grandparents, maybe he knows that they will be raising these boys.

• Perspective
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:41 p.m.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. Regardless of what happens at this point in time--he will ultimetley answer to a Higher Court. You can't run from yourslf---no matter where you go---there you are!

Jan. 9, 2010 5:08 p.m.

Where was the swingset neighbor?

• Mary
    Jan. 9, 2010 5:07 p.m.

Of course, he being the caring husband would be the first to take a polygraph, especially to rule himself out as a suspect or person of interest so the police can focus on the person who took her just at the time he decided to go camping at midnight in sub-freezing temps. Of course, he must have taken a polygraph! right, sure, didn't happen

• When will the police update us?
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:55 p.m.

While Josh's behavior has been very strange, that doesn't mean he killed his wife. So far I've heard of no evidence that Josh is responsible. If there were evidence the police would make the arrest. I can think of many explanations that don't involve Josh killing Susan.

It's impossible to say what you would do in a similar situation.

And his stories are so unbelievable they almost have to be true. There are dozens of better alibi's that you could come up with in a short period of time.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were exonerated and I wouldn't be surprised he was found guilty.

• Mary
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:47 p.m.

Did he take a polygraph yet???? He's quiet because he is hiding the truth. Doesn't anyone get it? When the police went into the home, the fans were blowing on a spot in the living room. Wake up people. I can't wait until the forensics are in. Who takes a 2 and 4 yr old out camping at 12 midnight in sub-freezing temps. UGH

• Time will tell
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:44 p.m.

"Oh sorry honey, I thought you were never coming back, so I moved".

• To wild_turkey
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:43 p.m.

I agree. If I was in the same situation and I was 100% innocent, I would not care what other people thought. I would stay and be as much help as possible for the police. But then....

• Not in the USA
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:38 p.m.

My attorney told me, a few years ago when I was accused of something terrible that I didn't do, "This is America, you are guilty until proven innocent. Only those with money can afford a good defense." I spent 6 months thinking that I'd be arrested daily. I spent my life savings. I hired one of the world's top polygraph examiners to examine me sinse the police will lie to you and tell you that you failed even if you pass in an attempt to coerce a confession. I hope this man gets a fair process that results in freedom if innocent and life if guilty. Fact is: the police, district attorneys, etc. do not attempt to find truth. But rather, pursue conviction with ignorance and without consideration of the lives they will ruin. I now live with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and await the day when I feel truly free. Sadly, this process will not change when much of the populace is quick to support ARREST, CONVICT, LET HIM FRY IN A CHAIR with no evidence, only histeria, and ignorance. Learn to think!

• Agree
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:26 p.m.

I agree that he is innocent until proven guilty. His behavior is odd, but I have no idea how I would act if my wife were missing and I was out of work.
    I wonder if he would even get a fair trial?

There is a similar story about Janet Abaroa. Her husband left the state and the case has never been solved.

• Do the right thing
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:19 p.m.

I hope Josh's father in Washington can convince Josh that telling the truth is the most important advice he gets, This is your son, do the right thing. Don't be a pawn of a unreasonable story.
    Do the right thing.

• Jean Magann
    Jan. 9, 2010 4:13 p.m.

The only thing we're accomplishing here is a guaranteed change of venue if Mr. Powell is ever charged with anything.
    Frankly, I'm shocked at the whole "grap a rope" mentality on display here. Where's your respect for law enforcement and the judicial system?
    There are so many opinions expressed here regarding guilty behavior. How many of these people expressing their opinion on that subject are trained professionals?
    The fact is this: None of us knows squat on this subject.

• At least he
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:47 p.m.

is still taking care of the kids. Susan appears to have abandoned the family. But then again, Mexico is nice this time of year. She needs to be found so that she is forced to pay child support and alimony.

• Jean
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:32 p.m.

I'd like to know what he did with all of Susan's belongings?? Did he pack them up to take with him 'incase' Susan is found alive (which I doubt)? Or......did he dump all her belongings explaining he 'thinks she is gone and will never come back'??? If he did the latter: HUGE RED FLAG............HUGE!!

• Avid-Reader
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Hey Josh, I know you're smart. Please do write a book that explains how you're innocent. You need money, and I need to understand, for the sake of my own daughter in a similar situation to that of your wife, what happened. You can explain for the rest of us all the things those mean police detectives would twist around and not understand. You can help us to see a way to divert our attention away from you and toward what else might have happened to your wife. You deserve a chance to tell all! If you wait until those who have already decided do put you behind bars to claim your innocence, not too many people will want to hear it.

• Re To:Op
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:21 p.m.

If you have lived in Utah your "whole life" how do you know if people in Utah are more or less of anyting if you have nothing to compare it to? So people in California were not judgement of Scott Peterson before he was arrested ? If Utah is so bad as far as judgemental people what keeps you here?

• Joseph
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:17 p.m.

Okay, you are right don't be judgmental.He had nothing to do with her disappearance. He is nice man.

• To: Opinions are like....
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:07 p.m.

Ive lived in Utah my whole life, the people in Utah are VERY VERY Judgmental its pathetic.

• Re Opinions
    Jan. 9, 2010 3:05 p.m.

Your voice does not count in school or church ? Why would you go to a school or a church that does not value your and others opinions? I could care less if people from other states have a negative view of Utah . Maybe they wont come here in the hoardes they are now that overtax everthing from the water supply to the school district. Let em hate us . Good.If Josh does move to Washington how does that impeade the investigation? He can be quiet in Seattle just like he is in Utah. If he is arrested then he can be interrogated just as well in jail there until he is extradited back to Utah. Gotta go now, my kids are waiting and excited for our yearly camping trip to Aragonite.

• wild_turkey
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:59 p.m.

If my wife were missing, I'd stay as close to the last place i saw her as possible and spend every waking moment of my life searching.

• James
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Von boyage!

• Opinions are like.....
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:47 p.m.

I wonder where people in Utah learned how to be so Judgmental? I personally think Josh may have done something horrific but its not my job to play Judge and Jury on a comment board so it creates more of a circus that in turn makes a prime suspect move away so it makes it more difficult for the authority's to do their job. The only place my opinion really matters is in a voting booth. Not in church or a school or a comment string that will be removed tomorrow. If all you people focus on judging yourself rather than others you would see a dramatic change in your own life. Stop being the reason why other people around the country hate people from Utah.

• peter
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:44 p.m.

Faith without work is dead. You need to insert effort in finding Susan you cannot just sit there and wait for something to come. Unless he knew where Susan was.

• Keep looking!
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:36 p.m.

It is good that these neighbors are helping him move...Maybe they will see something the police didn't!

• Hello???
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:15 p.m.

Goes camping at midnight in freezing conditions with a 2 and 4 year old? Buys a phone a pre-paid phone? Rents a car with cash and drives hundreds of unexplained miles? Has an industrial dryer drying carpet in the living room? Left the state for Christmas vacation? Moving out of state? Yes, he will be extremely close to the border. I can tell he misses his wife. Get real 'Club Members'.

• @Wow
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:13 p.m.

And people like you make English teachers exasperated...

• Suspicious
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:13 p.m.

Even Mark Hacking would consider Josh Powell's behavior suspicious.

• Pete
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:09 p.m.

If he was my neighbor, I would be the first one to help him get out of my neighborhood. Do you think all his neighbors are saints for helping? Or what? I personally think they are saying good riddance before something else bad happens.

• Wow lack of compassion
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:50 p.m.

wrz | 1:18 p.m.

So using yours constitutional rights is now considered circumstantial evidence?

Wow. Its people like you who makes lawyers rich.

• Shred!
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:35 p.m.

Let's all go camping in the desert tonight!

Remember, you have to have s'mores for breakfast...so that you have two little kids covered in sticky chocolate and marshmallows.

• Uh-oh
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:24 p.m.

It's a pretty short trip to the border once you make it to Washington. I hope the boys stay with the grandparents when he makes a midnight camping expedition into Vancouver.

• wrz
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:18 p.m.

Whathappenedto... 11:43

"There is not a shred of evidence that says he had anything to do with his wife disappearance."

There is some circumstantial evidence... refusal to take the police to the campsite, refusal to tell the police where he took the rental car.

"To the neighbors who helped Mr. Powell move this morning, you are a fine example of non-judgmental people."

I'd be willing to help the move if and only if he would come clean on the exact location of the camp trip and he car rental trips.

• Help?
    Jan. 9, 2010 1:14 p.m.

How can anyone help this guy?

• No evidence
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:53 p.m.

Sure, there's no evidence like a notebook with statements saying that if Susan ever goes missing to look at Josh first, or the ridiculous behavior that only a guilty person would exhibit, or the lack of concern for finding Susan as if to scream, "She's dead, why should I look?".

Nope, not a shred of evidence.

• Re: what would you do
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:50 p.m.

There is not one shred of evidence that says he didn't do it. EVERYTHING points directly at him, mark hacking was more convincing.

• RE: previous comments
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:49 p.m.

We don't know there isn't any evidence against him; there may be some, but not enough to convict. And again, he may be innocent. I sincerely hope so. But for him to not cooperate with the police doesn't make him sympathetic to thinking people.

It's funny now how the comments are in defense of him, whereas before they were pretty much against him. I'm hanging tough; I still think he knows something he's not telling. I have no respect for him at all, even if he is innocent. He's pretty wimpy.

Jan. 9, 2010 12:47 p.m.

Is this really news? Slow day...

• Bub
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:44 p.m.

Thanks Josh.This wil give all of us do-gooders something to do this winter besides twiddling our thumbs.We'll go ahead and look for your wife and you go ahead and leave town.You've probably got something more important to do anyway.So long,we'll let you know if we see her.

• Boy Oh Boy
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:36 p.m.

Are some of these folks delusinal or what . Saying Josh is "hurting" The only reason this guy might be hurting is the thought of being locked up for the rest of his days

• suzy
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:36 p.m.

You can't run from the truth... not even to Washington.

• Ben
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:30 p.m.

to the sister. . . I understand he "was" talkative before, but what do you expect from him now. His wife is missing and he has the woes of a whole family to deal with, not to mention the added stress of not having a job in the most depressed economic time for 60 years. That would make me less likely to talk my self.

To the neighbors who did help, you are true examples of second mile saints. To those who are already convicting him, it isn't your responsibility to ensure he is worthy of his temple recommend!

• Shred of Evidence
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:20 p.m.

Well i'm going camping tonight in the west desert with my 2 and 4 year old, anybody want to come along?

• concerned
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:20 p.m.

I find it interesting that his neighbors are showing more compassion to him than he is showing to his missing wife. If he seemed a bit more concerned about staying in the area and finding his wife, I'm sure the community would also come together to help him out with a place to stay.

It shows to me that he has a reason to no longer be concerned for her condition.

• LBW1138
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:18 p.m.

Would she really abandon her family without her purse and cellphone and clothes and car? And special keepsakes from childhood? If she was considering divorce she wouldn't have just left.

• Pizza for the movers
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:14 p.m.

I hope Josh provided Pizza for the Elders' Quorum who are moving him. That is a nice little way to say thank you.

• phil
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:12 p.m.

"in to help him back his belongings"

Spell check fail.

Jan. 9, 2010 12:05 p.m.

"To the neighbors who helped Mr. Powell move this morning, you are a fine example of non-judgmental people. The world would be a better place with more of you around."

LOL, I am sure every one of them is think what people are thinking here, they are helping him anyway.

Jan. 9, 2010 12:04 p.m.

"What happened to ... | 11:43 a.m. Jan. 9, 2010
    innocent until proven guilty?"

Yeah, we also get the 1st amendment to express our opinion.

He has no been convicted but we can express how we feel about his actions. He isn't looking for her because he knows she is not alive.

• A suggestion
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:03 p.m.

"He can't afford the home. What should he be doing?"

How about finding a smaller home or apartment nearby so that he can stay close to the people investigating his wife's disappearance, and near the family quoted in this article?

• sl
    Jan. 9, 2010 12:00 p.m.

So....how's that investigation coming?

• Cats
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:57 a.m.

Innocent until proved guilty only exists in a court of law. No further progress is likely until her body is found. At that point, he's in deep doodoo.

• Rob
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:45 a.m.

He can't afford the home. What should he be doing? Just pray Susan will be found.

• What happened to ...
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:43 a.m.

innocent until proven guilty?

There is not a shred of evidence that says he had anything to do with his wife disappearance. If there was the police would have him locked up now.

This man can't keep a job because of the media circus surrounding this case. He probably can't support his young children and pay for his home. What choice does he have but to sell his house and move on?

It amazes me how quick we all were (myself included) to convict him in the court of public opinion.

Leave the man alone until you have any proof that he did it!

I hope Susan is found someday, alive would be better of course. But has anyone considered that maybe she left and abandoned her family? I know everyone says she would never do that, but has this possibility even been looked into by police?

• Joe Moe
    Jan. 9, 2010 11:36 a.m.

Please, not a gazillion more tired statements about the situation. There's nothing new. The "brilliant insights" people have about the situation that no one (especially police investigators) can see but them....well, do yourself a favor and just go read a good book.