Utah

'Light and knowledge': Deseret Management Corporation unveils new mission statement

Comments

• Indiana
    Jan. 11, 2010 8:16 a.m.

Thanks Awesomeron. Very nice posting.

It has been 36+ years since I was converted. I have not missed any of my past life. I love my great LDS life very much. One thing I love about my new life is the complete order of the Lord. He is a God of order and organization.

I do listen to KSL talk radio, I also listen to KNRS. I enjoy the opinions of others. Do I agree with everything they say? NO, but I do enjoy that they are there and have the freedom to say what they believe to be true. I have the freedom to turn them off or tune them out.

I am happy with KSL's new mission statement.

• awsomeron
    Jan. 11, 2010 2:25 a.m.

I had good feeling about the Church, the People, and the Value System decades before I joined the Church. I would listen to Music and the Spoken Word from time to time and the Choir has always rocked.

I also listened to Fulton Sheen, Norman Vincent Peale, Billy, and Schuler. Seek the best minds and the best works.

Some people admire the Church, anyone who understands Organization, Marketing, and Religion as The Lords Business, cannot help but admire the LDS Church and the Leaders. I always saw them as Wise and Good Men and Women. I always saw the women as strong not repressed.

If you are Not going to have Chaos, there has to be a certain order to things. The Church has always had that. I have always found the people mostly Valiant and of Good Courage.

Some People cannot or will Not join the Church for many reasons.

It has nothing to do with Warm and Fuzzy Feelings. It has to do with Observation and Pure Facts of Life.

Perhaps the Very Day I was ready, two young men knocked at my door, and I let them in. Its been almost 22 mostly very good years.

• Statements are worthless
    Jan. 9, 2010 2:36 p.m.

From your new creed: "Align actions; Pursue excellence; Champion virtues; Improve lives; Work together; Invest personally."

So? These "universal values" can be found in thousands of mission statements, from most Fortune 500 companies, government agencies or myriad other highly successful and profitable commercial entities.

Again, so what? Do you want a medal or something for coming up with these sets of beliefs?

I should expect that when Domino's Pizza, Whole Foods Market, the NFL Players Association, Costco, Royal Bank of Scotland Group, Dell Inc., TECO Energy, the Chicago Tribune, Verizon Communications Inc. or any other random for-profit organization tweaks its mission statement that such coverage will also appear in the pages of the Deseret News and over the airwaves of KSL.

• just saying...
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:07 p.m.

I am not a conservative and LDS. Quite honestly I find most any talk show host who relies on politics for a good portion of their conversation to be questionable no matter what political side they are on. If we are talking about setting an example it starts with cutting any show that goes for ratings by making continual inflammatory remarks on views that differ. It is in fact possible to have conversation and share ones perspective without being so inflammatory. I simply can't stand to listen to most. They raise my blood pressure and again it doesn't matter what political side. If we are looking at LDS values then we are talking Christlike values and I don't recall too many stories in the scriptures of Christ stirring the pot to instill anger and hatred. Feel free to share opinions but do it in a civil manner and realize not everyone is going to agree. Our purpose in life is not to make everyone else think and believe exactly the we think they should! Everyone has agency but civility is priceless.

• Nate
    Jan. 8, 2010 3:05 p.m.

I find it amusing how liberals rant and rave at Hannity and Beck, but tolerate much worse on their side in the likes of hate-spewing Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann.

Matt. 7: 3-5
    3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
    4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
    5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

• Dave
    Jan. 8, 2010 2:20 p.m.

...what does Hannity & Beck have to do with anything? They are entertainers and people like to be entertained. Are you complaining to TNT about "Men of a Certain Age" and its disregard for civility & "balance"....Tolerance is only an intellectual stalemate....we agree to disagree, but remain civil, I hope.

• DP
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:22 a.m.

If Hannity remains on the air at KSL, we'll know this is all window-dressing. If church-owned publishers continue to favor Glenn Beck over potentially intersting life stories like that of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, we'll know they don't really mean anything by, to quote the D-News story: "integrity, civility, morality and respect for all people ... . This is consistent with the values not only of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but with all people of good will." We'll see, won't we?

• Don Jarvis
    Jan. 8, 2010 6:37 a.m.

It certainly makes sense that media owned by the LDS Church set the example of civility, thoughtfulness and enlightenment. This should be the case in every location where they operate, but especially here in Utah where KSL and the Deseret News are widely seen to represent the Church. I look forward to seeing greater congruence between Deseret Management's new mission statement and the content of its media.

• Lew Jeppson
    Jan. 8, 2010 12:07 a.m.

There is no balance to Sean Hannity on KSL radio. The rest of the lineup is centrist at best. I have never suggested that KSL balance things out 50/50. But what I've tried to tell them repeatedly is that if they don't want to convey the impression that the Church endorses Sean Hannity Republicanism, they need someone who is as far left, approximately, as Hannity is to the right. I've told them that 15 minutes of Jim Hightower everyday would be good enough for me. And BTW, the one-hour Left-of-the-Dial on Saturday PM when no one is listening doesn't cut it.

Most Democrats and liberals have the impression that the Church endorses Sean Hannity because there is no balance to him. The conclusion is inescapable.

• former employee
    Jan. 8, 2010 12:07 a.m.

The Deseret News and it's employees, LDS or not, have always worked hard to report the news competently and fairly. They are required to seek voices on both sides of the issue, print the facts, and leave the editorials for the editorial pages. No matter the outsider opinion, there is no other newsroom in the country that works harder to be fair and shed light on the issues that effect their readers. This new mission statement should secure their jobs through the Millenial reign. . . sorry I'm not going to be in the newsroom to watch it all happen.

• Hopefully
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:59 p.m.

I hope this means that all your uncivil remarks will now be banned from these boards

• MESSAGE
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:08 p.m.

I don't have any problem with the "message" HANNITY delivers each day.

I do have a problem with the way HANNITY DEMEANS ANY PERSON who has a differing viewpoint.

As a result of his on-air behavior, I do not listen to KSL for three hours each afternoon.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

• no more Doug Wright
    Jan. 7, 2010 6:42 p.m.

I hope this is the day that Doug Wright no longer talks about his ridiculous opinions over the radio all morning long.

KSL please find someone to take his place; I don't know how much longer I can stand hearing his Soda removal from school districts rhetoric.

• Bob
    Jan. 7, 2010 6:16 p.m.

For those who have problems with the "for profit" arm of the church, it is likely due to not understanding its function. The proceeds from DMC companies is used largely for charity work and doing things like rebuilding downtown. The same people who have problems with the "for profit" business, are grateful for it when they receive good care at a hospitals (the Church foundation has given large donations to most hospitals in Utah), attend school at a college in Utah (yes, they even donate significantly to the U of U), or when you receive support from the United Way (receives large donations from church).

• Lost
    Jan. 7, 2010 5:35 p.m.

Will KSL Radio still broadcast Sean Hannity and will Doug Wright still want to be Sean when he grows-up?

• Nate
    Jan. 7, 2010 4:08 p.m.

It is amazing that intelligent people, knowing the high order of accomplishments of the Latter-day Saints, give credence to the weird and crude stories, appealing to the baser emotions of mankind, which fill the pages of anti-"Mormon" literature. - John A. Widtsoe

• Californian #1@94131
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:41 p.m.

** "integrity, civility, morality and respect for all people..." **

Cool!

That means the filthy, obnoxious, hate-filled, venom-laden trash dump of a reader forum at the KSL website will be cleaned up, right? Shut it down, fill the pit with lime, plant grass over it, and start a new one a mile upwind. And actually MONITOR the new one.

• Concerned Citizen
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:27 p.m.

Today the headlines in the Salt lake papers were:
    1. Catholic Bishops call for immigration reform.
    2. Deseret Management Co. Issues new Mission Statement.

I pray that the Church weighs in on immigration reform. Advocacy of reform will result in huge improvements in the lives of over 12,000,000 Americans (undocumented immigrants). The Church can make a moral and compassionate difference by taking a position of advocating reform.

I can understand the need for a new mission statement. But only if it will make a difference. Too often mission statements are framed on the wall and really don't change things.

I hope the Church does something productive for millions of unfortunate undocumented immigrants, rather than spend a lot of time philosophizing on a mission statement.

• plainandfancy
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:24 p.m.

I did not see the statement skimming this artcle, but it was included in the Trib – the comment section will change. THANK YOU!!!!! It's about time! The NY Times doesn't have comments on every article. Generally, it's the blogs that invite comments.

This comment section repeatedly gets out of hand. Folks post rumors, argue and are posers. Commenters need to register (ie: SF Gate). Allow only a limited number of comments per article and only on the top news stories. The comment section reflects poorly on the Utah population.

• Confusing
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:11 p.m.

So what does this mean? Is the Dnews still going to report news, truthful, as it happens? or is everything from this point on going to have a Mormon spin on it? Are Jazz stories going to start saying "Brother Kirilenko dished to Brother Boozer for a dunk"?

• warren b
    Jan. 7, 2010 2:38 p.m.

i'm glad my church owns things. i trust it more than companies out there. i expect that the operators of DMC will look out for the interest of their shareholders (me) and make money. what's the big deal? i live in a place where churches are set up SPECIFICALLY to make money (how else can you buy nice cars, suits, and gold watches for sunday sermon). the marketplace is dictating what shows are on media stations, so if you don't like what the marketplace is dictating, you have 2 options: 1) change the marketplace (turn it off or stop advertising), or 2) change markets (move). but the real issue i think people have is the power the church has built up over the years... and to that i say... you're lucky we're nice (we're trying to be like Jesus you know). so if you're all bent out of shape, step outside and cool off... the church has far less "ambition" than google, time warner, or the likes of joel osteen.

• B-squared
    Jan. 7, 2010 2:37 p.m.

i commend deseret for this strategy. all responsible media outlets ought to consider a mantra of civility as opposed to relying on purveyors of scandal and anger.

• Non-Utahn
    Jan. 7, 2010 2:32 p.m.

Arguing about petty, dumb things that one cannot change is painfully indicative of what goes on in a small community with a strong religious presence. I encourage all to live in other places of the country and world. Expose yourselves to the real problems of the world, and you will realize how big of a deal that this ISN'T.

• shortguy
    Jan. 7, 2010 2:25 p.m.

I am happy that civility will be important to this organization. It is my hope that the three hour afternoon program will be replaced by something more civil.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 1:31 p.m.

Josh Andersen | 9:03 a.m You don't see people with the credence of Jack Anderson in the media anymore.

• awsomeron
    Jan. 7, 2010 1:19 p.m.

Give it a break.

It took weeks to stop the Ding Ding enlargement ads on this web site.

Getting through to people at DNS who even had a clue was next to impossible.

One Number Call always led to a Nice Person giving you another Number. Which in the end led to a Voice Mail.

The ads where stopped but through a tottaly different route then one might think. I want to thank the people who helped with that. The Ads where Gross and not anywhere close to Church Standards.

The For Profit Arm of the Church has done well and that is a good thing.

• Mo' Money
    Jan. 7, 2010 12:56 p.m.

A better mission statement would be:

Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money. As a for-profit arm, they are most concerned about...(drum roll please)...Mo' Mondy, Mo' Money, Mo' Money!!!

Anything else is a story to persuade people to believe otherwise. Why not tell the truth???

• A
    Jan. 7, 2010 12:41 p.m.

I'm sure other stations would pick up Hannity if KSL dropped him. Censorship is not the issue, civility is.

How far will this be taken? I don't think KSL-TV could be an NBC affiliate if they refuse to air anything immoral. If Sabbath-observance is principle espoused by their owner, will they stop live broadcasts on Sunday?

• Johny Fairplay
    Jan. 7, 2010 12:38 p.m.

What's the size of the for-profit arm relative to that of the not for-profit arm?

• utahprincipal801
    Jan. 7, 2010 12:13 p.m.

Having had experience with reporters from Channels 13, 5, 4 and 2 in my career, I will attest to the professional, ethical way I was treated by personnel from Channel 13, 2 and 5. After an ugly experience with a certain Channel 4 reporter and newscaster, I expressed my disappointment in her lack of integrity and civility to her personally through an e-mail at her work, and documented what had happened. About two months later, she and her husband did not have their contract renewed. I have no idea if what I did made a difference, but since then, I have noticed a positive change in Channel 4's newscasting and the way stories are covered. It's critical to have people dedicated to these values throughout any organization, but especially in news businesses. I welcomed balanced, thoughtful coverage of issues I was involved in during my career and appreciate the work the local news community does to now keep me informed and involved.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 12:05 p.m.

Who really believes a company's mission statement?

• EPJ
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:55 a.m.

Great! So how soon will the Jay Leno show be dropped from KSL's broadcast lineup?

• kiaoraguy
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:54 a.m.

let KSL do a test and dump all the 'right wing' personalities and their shows, and replace them with 'left wing' shows- and see how many of those who complain about shows on KSL stop complaining- then you will know this forum is just a place to vent your political frustration instead of commenting on the meat of a story. DMC is taking a bold move, a positive move which will be under constant scrutiny. as it should be- more positive media is always needed. God Bless the 1st amendment!

• Re-ediddy
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:52 a.m.

Let's just set this straight: The cry of "censorship" is silly in this case. The fact that a church or its members would eliminate programs it finds "uncivil" from its own airwaves is not censorship. No one is trying to silence Hannity and Beck. Rather, many people simply feel their style of "entertainment" is not fit for a church owned radio station. Seriously, is that hard to understand? And ratings should not dictate what the Church broadcasts. Isn't that the low road?

• OK
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:17 a.m.

Tell Mr Willis to hire some radio sales managers with some integrity and honesty. Everything is tied to money and profit and the truth is, KSL is not civil when they are trying to make a budget. There is no light and truth there, its like Ward Ball.

• ediddy
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:10 a.m.

I love how so many of you clamoring for "balance" are crying for censorship. You are all for shedding "light" as long as it is filtered through your preferred lens.
    I too find Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity to be sometimes (not always) shrill and overstated, but I wouldn't for a minute suggest that the LDS media silence their voices. Small minds, closed minds seek to silence opposing views rather than counter with logic and "light" of their own.
    Seems anytime the LDS church makes a statement of any kind, their antis use it as on opportunity to reccommend that they abdicate their collective right to a free voice. Seems unvaryingly hypocritical.

Blast away critics, but don't presume to tell someone else to be silent.

• Just a thought
    Jan. 7, 2010 11:02 a.m.

I have a hard time believing in ANY church that is "for-profit". I also believe any "news" organization needs to be nuetral. No legitimate church can do this...please quit trying.

• Milton
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:42 a.m.

Why is it that whenever we read some article about the LDS church and its companies, the left wingers come out in droves, complaining about Hannity and Beck?

Last time I checked, you can buy items from Barack Obama, Harry Reid, James E Faust, Hugh Nibley, Kurt Bestor and works by other notable Democrats at Deseret Book. KSL airs The Nightside Project every weeknight with a moderate to liberal agenda. Doug Wright by NO means is a conservative. He is very centrist in his political leanings. In fact, when Doug has been on vacation he has allowed Rocky Anderson to be the guest host on more than one occasion.

Basically, liberals want free speech except for those on the right. They'll never be happy until all conservative books have been burned and all conservative talk show hosts are censored from airplay.

• Objectivity?
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:38 a.m.

What about objectivity and balance? This sounds like religious rhetoric put out by a company desperately trying to stay relevant.

• MM
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:31 a.m.

As a member, I have to agree with those who comment on controversial programs and commentary, such as Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. I realize members of the LDS church have that right, but a church corporation that is making these changes needs to distance itself from the practices it is saying it does not espouse.

Actions speak louder than words, and it would be a refreshing change to see the corporation's actions match its words.

• History Nut
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:20 a.m.

How does shedding "light" fit with Joe Cannon's oft repeated mantra not to ruffle LDS reader's feathers?

Nearly all companies have mission statements. Only about 1% of them mean anything operational. We'll see how DM handles it.

• Shecky
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:17 a.m.

PLEASE...GET OVER YOURSELVES!!! Thank heavens I live in Idaho, where we have more important things to worry about like...wind, and Boise State's record against Mountain West teams (13-1). Have a lovely day.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:08 a.m.

Keep Sean Hannity on. Just cause you don't agree with him or are worried he is offensive to supporters of lesbs and gays doesn't make him 'vitriol'. He's an active voice (one of the few on the right) that is willing to counter the filth and lies coming from the left.

• Gary
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:41 a.m.

I'm a lifelong member. Boy, this just makes me goose-bumpy all over....

• CT
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Please tell me this means KSL will no longer carry Sean Hannity and that Doug Wright will have to find another job. The vitriol generated by these two alone is an embarrassment to the Church. Same for Glenn Beck. Deseret Book should drop his ridiculous books like a hot potato.

• "Champion Virtues"
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:28 a.m.

If DMC truly intends to "promote integrity, civility, morality, and respect for others", they must take Sean Hannity off the air.

• Eric
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:24 a.m.

Agreed. If the church is serious and not just playing lip service pr games, then it will ditch trash like Hannity and become a more carry more balanced, civil and intelligent news and political information like NPR. Until that time it will just be window dressing.

• To Johnny S
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:18 a.m.

For-profit and nonprofit at just tax classifications. In fact DMC companies have done a really "good" job of not making a profit the last couple of years.

• Josh Andersen
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:03 a.m.

I'm active LDS but have for years been embarrassed that guys like Sean Hannity dominate the KSL airwaves. Very grateful to see this change in direction. Please let this be the end of divisive, inflammatory radio personalities on KSL.

• @ 3:07
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:55 a.m.

I agree with you on the "Awesome" person. Bad sleeping qualities as well.

I guess Des-Management has to do what they have to do to stay up there.

• Mike
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:50 a.m.

I'm happy to see this. The Church owns these companies. The companies and employees should honor and advance the principles of their owner. Common sense.

• A Suggestion
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:48 a.m.

"These are universal values. You don't have to be a church person to say civility is a good thing."

Deseret management Corporation and The Church continue to quietly court Glenn Beck by sponsoring his books in the Church's flagship business, Deseret Book Company.

Glenn Beck’s right-wing vitriolic commentary has extreme views that are harmful to our country. He hates President Obama and has called him a "racist" with a "deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture". Beck is far from patriotic as he openly hopes for the President's failure, which of course means harm to America. He makes millions by denigrating the President all those that support the President.

As a Worldwide Church, the Church should avoid the trap of wading into American politics. Half the membership lives outside the U.S. Another trap is that the Church seems to be thirsting for celebrities within its membership. Glenn Beck's celebrity status is a liability for the Worldwide Church as we strive to love all and reach out to everyone. It is time the Church cuts commercial ties to Beck. Ties to Beck are a poor reflection on the Church.

• re: chevy chase
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:47 a.m.

The least you could do is read the article before making any comment about it. Yours is totally off topic, but then again, it is only your opinion so I suppose it doesn't really need to be factual.

• Renata Forste
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:46 a.m.

I appreciate very much the new emphasis on civility. I am very concerned about the lack of civility in our society and the example, we as adults set for our youth. Thoughtful and civil interaction is much needed in our society. I applaud the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for taking the higher road above the shrill and uncivil discourse that is increasingly the norm.

• Good. Now...
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:39 a.m.

if you want to use the media to "uplift and inspire" people, then the first thing KSL needs to do is review their policy to be the local source of the vitriol that comes from the mouth of Sean Hannity. That is, unless what you want to inspire people to do is to hate everyone who doesn't believe what you believe, to put down people whose opinions don't jive with your own, to try to get the population at large to believe that everything is a conspiracy and that the democratic party is absolutely incapable of doing anything right. The best thing about Hannity on KSL is that it inspired me to become a dedicated listener to Classical KBYU FM in the afternoon, and KCPW if I want to hear the REAL news.

• PapaCorn
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:34 a.m.

Light and truth? Really? That's a pretty brazen statement...especially after KSL aired The 40 Year Old Virgin during primetime on Thanksgiving weekend.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:33 a.m.

Shouldn't Bonneville International be included in this? It is, after all, the most diverse of all the LDS Church media companies.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:33 a.m.

Nothing cracksme up more than people who think the DewNews is 'too liberal'. It always makes me wonder what planet these people are from.

• Neat
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:30 a.m.

I am a non Mormon. But I know that Deseret Management Corporation is true.

• Is this hubris?
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:29 a.m.

Civility? Light? Truth? And KSL Radio will still broadcast Sean Hannity? Deseret Book will still sell Glenn Beck's books?

KSL could become a conservative NPR and Deseret Book could stock great literature and the Deseret News/KSL could begin to do some investigative reporting if there really was a desire to follow through on this mission statement, but I suspect the finanacial bottom line is really what will rule the day.

Civility. light and truth will have to be the goals of individuals, not some sort of mission statement of corporations who are more worried about profits.

• steve
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:24 a.m.

With civility on the list, does this mean the end of the daily Sean Hannity non-civil rant?

• mark
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:21 a.m.

"Hopefully they will look at their values and get back to basic consertative principles."

But then you would not have light and knowledge.

• Johnny S.
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:18 a.m.

I have to say, as a member of the LDS church, the phrase "for profit" makes me cringe. Why on earth are we turning this way? I think I read something somewhere (like maybe the Bible and the Book of Mormon?) that seeking the things of this world (i.e. money) weren't compatible with gospel principles. So has that changed?

Also, in reply to Anonymous, I think you've got good points about objectivity in journalism. Lots of LDS people/leaders have been wrong in the past about certain things. Just because someone believes in the gospel doesn't give them some special access to worldly truths. Good reporting, skeptical inquiry, hard work and an ability to report as true things which might go against your personal beliefs are all hallmarks of good reporting. Also, since the Desert Management Corporation believes in civility, light and truth, I assume they're going to condemn both Fox News and MSNBC with equal vigor?

I'd be curious to get the thoughts of other LDS folks out there.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:16 a.m.

Wow! What a bunch of bitter, small people we have on this comment board. It must be a very sad existence to constantly be negative about most everything and, of course, EVERYTHING LDS.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:59 a.m.

How about balance, not thinking that all truth comes from the right. The op eds could use some balancing out. How about returning to really good investigative reporting like in the old days, instead of killing it off so as to not offend the perpetrators? How about reporting on controversial issues that may sometimes not be favorable to the Church, if proper reporting and verification take place? Even the Church, with its human staffed bureaucracy, needs sunlight to be effective and honest. The Des News is a good paper, it really is, but it has to be more. Be leaders, not Pravda West.

• Chris
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:57 a.m.

People are going to poke at you for this, but I think it is smart and needed. Thank you.

• Carl
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:51 a.m.

Hey, this is cool. Good luck in trying to be better.

• Evets
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:35 a.m.

I just hope this is reflected in their "products". All too often I find that KSL and DN tend to bend to popular liberal media bias. Hopefully they will look at their values and get back to basic consertative principles.

• Richard Davis
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:20 a.m.

I applaud the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for setting a new standard for the use of media to uplift and inspire people. Too much of media content today, particularly in the coverage of politics, features incivility, disrespect for others, and ad hominem attacks.

It is not that the Church's media should be more conservative or more liberal. Rather, it should be thoughtful (as well as thought-provoking), respectful, civil, inclusive, and balanced in presentation.

I can see definite changes in some of the current content on Church-owned facilities, which would be good for our community.

Some people in the current audience will complain if their favorite hosts are no longer heard on the air. (Those are the hosts who clearly don't fit this mission statement.) They'll complain because they think such polarizing, uncivil, demeaning political talk is sanctioned by the Church. This change will tell them that is not the case.

What a welcome change from where we've gone as a nation politically and in terms of the role of the media! Thank you!

• Gag...
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:10 a.m.

...me with a inscribed spoon of religosity overkill... news is news; pews are pews. and never should the twain meet.

• Don
    Jan. 7, 2010 7:00 a.m.

Willes says "There's no requirement that employees of the various companies be LDS...If there is not diversity in your organization, you cannot succeed. ... If we don't have people from different backgrounds, from different points of view, from different religions and different places, we won't succeed."

What utter nonsense. Religious diversity is needed for the organization to succeed? Really? Willes, you better call Uncle Tom and tell him the Church won't succeed without employing people of different religions. Call BYU and tell them the same thing.

To be honest, I broke out in loud laughter when I read the mission statement. A lot of "light and truth" comes out of KSL's programming? Maybe at Conference time.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:15 a.m.

The church needs to shed light on its historicity and acknowledge aspects that are true but perhaps not the facts the leadership want to be exposed. Historians have a leg up on this and the internet has the information readily available.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:07 a.m.

I think Awesome is a Mormon posing as a non Mormon to spread warm and fuzzy feelings.

• chevy chase
    Jan. 7, 2010 1:30 a.m.

Here we go, the secularization of the LDS church. Eventually it would happen like it does to all religious groups over time who wish to survive economically. The church can no longer "hold" its investments. It must get out there and make a buck to keep this dream alive into the future, but in so doing, in seeking profit, it will go the road of all capitalistic organizations, the ambitious virtue-less, do whatever-it-takes to succeed mentality will creep into church businesses and from there eventually influence the church itself. The naivete of LDS members in the 80s, 90s, and 00s is drawing to a close and we are starting to see that all the promises were symbolic, that the devil rules in this current age, and no good person or profession will remain when an entire society dies economically and culturally.

• Chris
    Jan. 6, 2010 10:49 p.m.

These are pretty bold. With so much of media focused on negativity, this is a great step forward. Best wishes.

• Awesome
    Jan. 6, 2010 10:35 p.m.

As a non-LDS person, allow me to say, these are amazing values.

People can say what they want about the LDS people, most of which is nothing but bitterness, but they certainly lead the way when it comes to values, hard work and good common sense.

• Anon
    Jan. 6, 2010 10:32 p.m.

I'm hoping this may lead to a more conservative staff and personalities at KSL, especially radio.

• Really?
    Jan. 6, 2010 9:37 p.m.

I thought the mission of the Deseret News was to be a competitive and competent daily metro newspaper (and online presence of news). Why the need to integrate and infuse religiosity and other feel-good flavor-of-the-month rhetoric? Doesn't the newspaper have it's own mission statement? Did the city, state, region and world change so much that every DMC company's mission statement is so arcane and archaic that they all need to be homogenized into one? What's so wrong with just being a really great daily metro newspaper? KSL, just be a local NBC-affiliate that produces quality work. Leave the "search for truth and light" to the Ensign and to Music and the Spoken Word. For those of us Gentiles that appreciate what the Deseret News and KSL have to offer outside the Church lines, don't change it one bit. Please. Leave your new Articles of Faith in Sunday School, not the front page or top of the hour newscasts.