Scott D. Pierce: Like it or not, 'Big Love' is back for Season 4

Comments

• Bishop
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:32 a.m.

Why all the hate? HAHAHAHAHA

• Bishop
    Jan. 9, 2010 10:29 a.m.

I love how BL makes fun of rich social climbing mormons in SLC, as opposed to the Mormons who have half a brain. There are some out there, you know.

• xldsrobertson
    Jan. 9, 2010 9:57 a.m.

You know, a show about 3 women who have to share 1 husband shouldn't be called "Big Love," it should be called "Desperate Housewives."

• MACHO MAN
    Jan. 8, 2010 3:27 p.m.

I plan to have at least 30 wives in the next life. I will do better than what they can do in "Big Love". They no nothing of the real deal.

• to Fun Boy..lol!
    Jan. 8, 2010 1:05 p.m.

Oh, you guys don't even know the size of things until you watch BIG LOVE. Let me tell you boys, it's way out there. These FLDS even get drunk now and then. I had no idea they existed till i watched the fun stuff. I wanna join the fun boys.

• Meesha
    Jan. 8, 2010 12:48 p.m.

Just to be nitpicky, this very entertaining polygamous family are the Henrickson's not the Hendrickson's. :)

• Good time
    Jan. 8, 2010 12:17 p.m.

I had no idea that polygamy existed in Utah until I lived there for a few years. This show is based on fact.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 8, 2010 12:00 p.m.

I am very much looking forward to the 4th Season of "Big Love."

HBO has such quality series - "Rome" and "Six Feet Under" come to mind. I certainly can't follow *all* of the fine programming on HBO, but I am a huge fan of "Big Love". I am Utah-born and raised (but live on the East coast now) and I catch many of the very subtle nuances in the show, such as the names on the mailboxes at the Juniper Creek compound. That's what makes the show like a treasure hunt for me.

• Fun Boy
    Jan. 8, 2010 10:51 a.m.

Gee guys, Even we FLDS get to watch BIG LOVE. We FLDS men are so grateful that the world can finely see how FUUUNNNN polygamy is. Hey guys, until you get six wives, two cows and one pit bull dog to watch the farm-- don't knock it. Although we are a litttle low on hair treasures and need some kind bobby pin donations.

• Groucho
    Jan. 8, 2010 9:07 a.m.

I haven't seen one thing on the show related to the LDS church that didn't have a basis in fact. The show is excellent and its producers are to be commended for the level of accuracy depicted regarding Utah culture and the Mormon churches -- both the Brighamites and other offshoots.

• Laughing hard
    Jan. 8, 2010 8:54 a.m.

Non members really have a good laugh with BIG LOVE. You mormons humor us with your nonsense.

• Kristy
    Jan. 8, 2010 5:54 a.m.

Big Love is a great series. I'm glad to see it's returning for another season. It accurately portrays a lesser known side of Utah culture (lived in Sandy for 10 years and my ex husband's aunt/uncle were polygamists). The researchers for the Big Love series really do their homework!

• Levi
    Jan. 8, 2010 1:59 a.m.

I love this show! We always have a "Big Love" party and make dinner and watch it with friends. Sometimes it takes some serious explanations, but our friends are never-mos. They are facinated!

• Xldsrobertson
    Jan. 7, 2010 5:00 p.m.

"harlots and pimps - thriving on immorality..."

Is HBO doing the Joseph Smith story now?

Looks like Alby will be getting electroshock therapy at BYU this year.

"When a show deliberately misleads people into believing the Church is made up of corrupt leaders who try to cover up its past, why isn't everyone offended by that?"

That was based on fact. Read what Gordon B. did during the Hoffman affair.

"If the show was about Muslims, Jews, or Catholics, there would be an outcry."

Bill Maher and many others attack Muslims, Jews, Catholics and even Protestants all the time. Don't be a baby.

Big Love is so honest in it's presentation of all things LDS it is scary. Research has been done, just because it doesn't always represent the LDS church in a favorable doesn't make it wrong. What is it that members always say "The church is perfect but the people are not."

• nathandt
    Jan. 7, 2010 4:36 p.m.

To "Why aren't more people offended?", "i can't wait", and everyone else that gets upset about this:

If you haven't watched this program, please reserve your judgment. As an earlier commenter posted, the producers of this show go to reasonable lengths to make it clear that it is not about mainline Mormons, and some episodes even depict normal LDS members as helping polygamists try to enter a more normal lifestyle.

The "reviled" temple scene that had everyone up in arms was beautifully depicted, and the whole purpose of it was to express the feeling of the main character involved that she was losing everything she held dear to her.

• Why aren't more people offended?
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:50 p.m.

When a show deliberately misleads people into believing the Church is made up of corrupt leaders who try to cover up its past, why isn't everyone offended by that? How is it looking for offense to think that a show that lies about the way a church operates or the convictions of its leaders is deliberately trying to smear said church? If the show was about Muslims, Jews, or Catholics, there would be an outcry. Instead, you are being too sensitive if you get offended by lies meant to smear the Mormon Church.

• Emily
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:22 p.m.

As the wonderful Scott Pierce pointed out, if you were offended by this show before, you will be offended now. Maybe it's not entirely accurate, sometimes it is, but if annoys you or offends your morals, then that's why God invented the off button on your television.

• Fredd
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:16 p.m.

When I lived in Utah there was a play about Catholic nuns that was very popular. Can't remeber the name but it was pretty over the top. I don't remember any great outcry, nor should there have been, from the catholic church or catholics. It wasn't written by Utahns, but it was a local theatre company producing the show. If I remember the poster correctly there was a pregnant nun on it.

• i can't wait
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:12 p.m.

i can't wait for the show "bigger love" wherein a hollywood actor has a lot more love (a new one or two a night?) to give. He/she could go around spreading diseases to all sorts of producers, waiters, actors, valets, maids, and agents of both genders. that would be sooooo entertaining. maybe the writers could throw in some awesome drug overdoses, suicide attempts, and male on male violence. In fact, ratings would probably spike if they made an episode showing hollywood rituals like fighting in an alley behind a club, sleeping ones way into a movie, or getting a botched plastic surgery. i literally can't wait for it! bigger love will have so many more wives too! 2 ex's, a current, 2 mistresses, and the neighbor's wife (that's 6 at least). Hooray for bigger love! of course mormons should probably play these people and get hollywood consultants to make sure they puke in toilets correctly, push last night's conquest out of bed the right way, and come out of the closet with the right amount of publicity. i think it will play on E!, but maybe not.

• Uriahheep
    Jan. 7, 2010 3:11 p.m.

It's fiction, folks! If offense occurs because you watched a program, then the offense starts within you, not the program. You are the problem.

• It's Offensive
    Jan. 7, 2010 2:24 p.m.

I have watched the show off and on and actually think it is really well made and quite entertaining, but to suggest that the only people who are offended by it are those that are looking to be offended is ludicrous. There are several scenes that are clearly intended to get under the skin of Mormons and further disgusting misperceptions of their Church. Yes there are really things that are offensive on their own, even if people aren't looking to be offended.

• Fredd
    Jan. 7, 2010 2:20 p.m.

I think the show bends over backwards to show the main family is not Mormon. It also paints the polygamous on the compound (jeffs?) as very strange and their leadership as evil (although rank and file is not portrayed that way). The fact they showed a temple ceremony would offend you I guess, I haven't seen that episode I'm too cheap to get HBO. But I'm betting it was presented in a straight forward way. Probably pretty accurate.

• to Anonymous | 10:21 a.m
    Jan. 7, 2010 1:32 p.m.

Yes, that was my intention. Gays are being hateful towards their opponents and claim it's okay because they're being discriminated against.

Hate isn't okay, no matter what. Gays need to stop hating, regardless of the reason why.

• East Coaster
    Jan. 7, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Having lived in Utah for a few years, what I enjoy about the show is the accurate portrayal of Utahns mindset. I now live on the Eastern Seaboard, where most folks get college degrees, work for Fortune 500 companies, and move around as needed for their careers. Folks in Utah seem to start a lot of their own companies, work for themselves, and most never move away to other parts of the country.

No one in the East is confused about LDS and polygamists; we have everything here from Amish to Quakers to Hasidic Jews to Sikhs to Black Muslims. We also know that being Italian doesn't mean that your uncle is a Godfather, and that many jews are neither wealthy or tight with their money. So go ahead and enjoy a work of fiction without getting overly concerned with stereotyping Mormons or Utahns.

• Great Show
    Jan. 7, 2010 12:54 p.m.

My favorite part about this show is wondering how my true blue Mormon friends would cringe if they watched Big Love. It is a funny show that demonstrates the unique culture of Utah. Yes it is fiction and they get some things wrong, but it is a lot of fun for those of us who can laugh and enjoy ourselves. Hopefully shows like this can help us realize that parts of Utah's culture are destructive and unhealthy. Making fun of the culture is a good way to make positive changes.

• @Why big love??
    Jan. 7, 2010 12:21 p.m.

The show first aired in March, 2006 (took ten seconds to find that out with a little research), long before the Prop 8 vote.

• Re: Pagan
    Jan. 7, 2010 12:16 p.m.

HA HA HA! Of course you would agree. Every comment on this site from you is pro-gay marriage, even on unrelated stories like this. You crack me up!

• Why big love?? For prop 8?
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:56 a.m.

I have to wonder why this series was produced in the first place. Are people really that interested in polygamy or is there another motivation? I would suggest that Big Love is an attempt by Hollywood to indirectly attack the LDS church in retaliation for Prop 8. Even though they sort of show that polygamy is not associated with the LDS church they try to purposely blur the lines so that people who are not that well acquainted with the LDS church might think that polygamy is still part of the current LDS church and all of this in an attempt to smear the Mormons for helping to pass prop 8. Hollywood (Tom Hanks especially) is very outspoken with their hate of anyone who was associated with prop 8 and so no better way to attack than to spread propaganda which demeans all those who dare stand up for traditional marriage.

• OMGosh
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:52 a.m.

With all the hate, hungary, war. This is what we send, nasty, hurtful messages. We all have our own ways of getting through the days. Who cares if the show is bad or good. You control your remote! there are what over 500 channels to look at?
    Barb, you keep your religion close to your heart. with the way the worlds going its nice to see that there are people out there do put the Lord in there lives. no matter what religion. You still hold him close to you!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:21 a.m.

'You stop being hurtful first.'

Classy

• re; just wondering
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:20 a.m.

"Do they advertise and want there people to be influenced by Hollywood's lack of moral codes and standards?"

So my question is what were Joseph Smith and Brigham Young's moral codes when they instituted the practice of polygamy?? - and if you say that it was necessary during that time... why did it last so long???

Hmmmm.... as someone else posted above "harlots and pimps - thriving on immorality...

Stop trying to deny your past.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 7, 2010 10:12 a.m.

How is this article reflective of Deseret Mgmt.'s new mission statement of championing virtues and respect?
    This show is a slap in the face to virtuosity and respect (esp. to the owners of this newspaper).

• to @Barb 7:09 | 8:18 a.m.
    Jan. 7, 2010 9:07 a.m.

You stop being hurtful first.

• Pagan
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:58 a.m.

Barb, I gotta agree with the poster at 8:18a.m.

If you are 'so' upset about the mockery people make of the marriages your religion has done in the past, why do some in your religion actively work to deny marriage to others?

Prop 8.

• Just wondering
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:47 a.m.

I don't know why this article is even on Des-News???? Does the LDS church want it's members to watch this junk for a reason? Do they advertise and want there people to be influenced by Hollywood's lack of moral codes and standards?

• @Barb 7:09
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:18 a.m.

"I am amazed at the pleasure that people get out of tearing something down that means so much to the people that are involved with it."

Did your church or did it not tear down same-sex families in it's crusade against same-sex families?

"I love my Church and nothing that anyone says will change that, but it hurts that people are so hurtful. "

Stop being so hurtful to others and you might discover that they are not hurtful back.

• Pagan
    Jan. 7, 2010 8:10 a.m.

HAHAHAHAHA!

• BYU alum
    Jan. 6, 2010 11:22 p.m.

I love this show-- it's my favorite on TV! And it actually gets Mormon culture pretty accurately. I was going to volunteer to be a creative consultant, but they already have Mormon consultants to keep it real.

Who's your favorite wife? Marjean?

• Knut
    Jan. 6, 2010 7:44 p.m.

I think that it is a fascinating show. For the LDS, it's fiction.

I used to believe that LDS was some crazy cult compared to Christianity, now that I know that they are all equally ridiculous, it puts it all into context.

Whatever helps a person get through the day is fine with me. LDS, Christian, Buddhist, whatever floats your boat. COEXIST

• David
    Jan. 6, 2010 7:18 p.m.

I love the americian way, show no respect, but expect respect back. No wonder the world is so against you.

• Barb
    Jan. 6, 2010 7:09 p.m.

this goes out to "Yup, that's right" boy, it must some kind of place that you live in? Why is it so important to talk against the LDS Church? Do they actually bother you, do they make your life hell? I am amazed at the pleasure that people get out of tearing something down that means so much to the people that are involved with it. I love my Church and nothing that anyone says will change that, but it hurts that people are so hurtful.

• Yup, that's right
    Jan. 6, 2010 6:49 p.m.

I love how the church and it's members always pretend to be "shocked" by the Mormon/polygamy association. "That was like, over 100 years ago, get over it!" But, until the church clarifies it's very obvious pro-heavenly-polygamy stance (and by extension it's anti-female-agency stance), it deserves all the HBO distortion.

• hmmmm
    Jan. 6, 2010 6:01 p.m.

er, Troy how do you know that is how our polygamous brother and sisters live in Utah?

• Troy
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:46 p.m.

I must hurry and call HBO to renew my subscription. One of the best shows on TV -- and an accurate description of how our polygamous brothers and sisters live in Utah!

• Regret
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:35 p.m.

I wish I had cable just to watch this show. It always sounds funny and entertaining. I know I would laugh at this stuff too.

• Movie hogwash
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:25 p.m.

Yep, more HBO filth on Harlots and pimps. Hollywood thrives on immorality.

• Todd Nuke 'Em
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:14 p.m.

I can't wait! It's one of my favorite shows.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:14 p.m.

Gasp

• Big Deal
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:08 p.m.

Who cares?

• Hank Jr.
    Jan. 6, 2010 5:04 p.m.

Like it or not, I canceled my subscription to HBO.