Caretaker watches over Sacred Grove

• Bill
    Dec. 18, 2009 11:43 p.m.

To Madison:

I've always stated that the true Church of Jesus Christ is either the Catholic Church or the LDS Church. I know without any shadow of doubt that what Joseph Smith saw and spoke about what happened in the Sacred Grove happened without any deviation from his accounts. Whether they be written by those who were present or by his own hand. Fact remains something extraordinary happened in this grove of trees in New York. In the life time of Joseph Smith he restored the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Earth, translated by the hand of God the Book of Mormon and had it printed on two continents, sent missionaries to the four quarters of the earth and today this Church that began with just 6 members is in excess of 13 million today. Sure some are less active, just as about the same amount of Catholics are. It is not an assumption that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true Church. I'm not being arrogant at all. I'm being truthful.

• Madison
    Dec. 18, 2009 3:40 p.m.

Is your question rhetorical?

• to Madison
    Dec. 18, 2009 1:56 p.m.

Is that comment satirical?

• Madison
    Dec. 18, 2009 1:26 p.m.

Implicit within your comment is an arrogant assumption that your Church, and ONLY your Church is "true". Consider that WE are planting seeds of truth in YOU! Open your mind and study it out in your heart, and you will see that the Christian tradition preserved by the One and Only Holy Catholic Church is the source of any and all good feelings, righteous works, and knowledge about Jesus Christ. Any "truths" you find in Mormonism were placed there as "seeds" by God through the Catholic Church, and they will germinate when you recognize your faith is derivative, secondary, and borrowed, not original in any way. God bless you that the scales will fall from your eyes during this season of "Christ's Mass".

• Bill
    Dec. 18, 2009 8:02 a.m.

I've known people who feel something everytime they go into an LDS Chapel or even a Catholic Cathedral. Some have no idea what that feeling is but they enjoy it. That is something we all should take with us. The story of the first vision is known throughout the world. Some believe it happened as is described not only by Joseph Smith but also by those who have heard him tell it. All are the same as it depends upon the audience. This is not apologitic but common sense. I appreciate the respect we receive from those not of our faith and I honestly believe that seeds are planted every day. Some florish and grow instantly and some take years to florish. No matter, the time will come when all knees shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ. There are many righteous people of all faiths and religions. Let us as Latter Day Saints respect and honor those not of our faith since each and every one of us is a child of our Heavenly Father.

• To Unasked Question
    Dec. 18, 2009 6:36 a.m.

Maybe he believes in the 1832 (the First and only account written by JS himself) instead of the official version published by the church and based on the wentworth letter (1842...10 years later !)?
    How can you miss such important details on such imprtant event? From angels only to Jesus only to The Father and Jesus...
    Don't know, but the typical apologist explanation is not easy to swallow, specially when we are talking about a vision of GOD and JESUS no less!
    btw... was this a vision? or an aparition?

• for Thanks@8;36
    Dec. 17, 2009 10:28 p.m.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I am NonMormon @ 8:36 and guess what? I am Catholic. So your sentiments were especially appreciated. I would bet that your work reflected the 110 per cent you gave. I wish in these very troubling times that we could all learn to respect each other's beliefs and defend not only our own Faith, but the Faith of others as well. May you and your family have a joyous Christmas as we celebrate the birth of the one we both call Jesus Christ the Saviour.

• Thanks
    Dec. 17, 2009 8:36 p.m.

Thanks for your comment.

I have known several people who respect our beliefs, some who even come to church... But who have not "joined" the church.

On my mission in Australia, I baptised a woman who had attended church for over ten years, and only joined when her husband left her...

There are lots legitimate reasons people don't join the church when *we* think they should...

I think we should all learn a lesson from this article... At one point in my professional career, I (a Mormon) was hired by Catholics to do construction on a Catholic church.

I gave it 110%. If someone were to ask me, I would say that I appreciated the work they were giving me and my family, and I respect the Catholic faith... Pretty much the same response this guy gave... If someone asked me why I wasn't a Catholic, I would give the same answer this guy gave as to why he is not LDS...

Great article, and thanks to DNews for the article, and NonMormon for your insight...

• NonMormon
    Dec. 17, 2009 7:08 p.m.

This was such a beautiful article. To those of you who say they cannot understand Mr. Parrott, may I try to help you out? I have loved the story of Joseph Smith and the history of the LDS Church for over 30 years. I have never considered, no would I ever, join your Faith. I, like Mr. Parrott, feel that something that your people consdider miraculous happened in the Grove in 1820. It is because YOU believe that we respect and take in the meaning of the Sacred Grove. A lot of LDS are moved at the beauty of the Great Cathedrals of Europe but not to the point of changing your beliefs. I feel that God sanctifies places, be they Mormon, Catholic or any other place. Many have approached me to be baptized. At one time it was annoying, now I just say "no thank you". Each person brings from the Sacred Grove an individual experience, not a shared experience that the Latter-day Saints have. Please don't confuse appreciation and respect for some secret longing to convert. God Bless All.

• kenny
    Dec. 17, 2009 3:11 p.m.

If you visit the historical sites in Kirtland Ohio, you will understnd that the Community Of Christ does not base their beliefs on historical events such as the first vision,sacred grove,etc.What I see is that the events that took the church from 1820 to the 1860's when the RLDS church was established are no longer infallable doctrines of the COC. For me the COC gave up their belefs in the restoration,the Prophet Joseph and all that he stood for.Little to none is ever mentioned about Joseph in the COC.Even acceptence of the BOM is only an elective in that church.

• Re: Kate 1:13 pm
    Dec. 17, 2009 2:06 p.m.

Volumes of what...? I'd love to read this.

• Wish.
    Dec. 17, 2009 2:04 p.m.

I will probaply get a glimpse of the SG on the way to the spirit world, as i lived across many oceans.
    But to those who has visited the grove, you are so blessed, to those who continue to be light minded about it,..you will never know.
    Hands up to the care taker who is doing a great job.

• @kate | 1:13 p.m. Dec. 17, 2009
    Dec. 17, 2009 1:52 p.m.

No, Kate, it speaks volumes about you for your comment. My father died knowing the church was what it claimed, but he was never baptized. Don't speak volumes about him or this man.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 17, 2009 1:46 p.m.

iteresting story ... i'd like to visit there someday

• Anon.
    Dec. 17, 2009 1:36 p.m.

It's not really for us to ask why he is a member or not. That is completely up to him. He definitely has a reverence for the place, perhaps more so than many members who feel that they somehow own a piece of it and treat it like they would there backyard. I lived near there for many years and loved going there often. However, in reference to the trees, they are just trees. Sure some where there during the vision, but can the trees really bare a witness? Are those specific trees any different than the others, or just older? Rather than try and take a piece of the tree, assuming it is somehow better or a piece of history, we should take with us the feelings that inspire us there. Just my opinion.

• kate
    Dec. 17, 2009 1:13 p.m.

I think it speaks volumes that this man never joined the Church.

• kiaoraguy
    Dec. 17, 2009 11:42 a.m.

I remember talking to the caretaker years ago (different person) and his relating how frustrating it was to have members, wards and stakes try to schedule picnics, ward events and even overnighters in the 'Grove', wondering what part of 'Sacred' they didn't get

• Anonymous
    Dec. 17, 2009 11:15 a.m.

Kind of a fun place to work. I'm surprised he isn't a member.

• Neat
    Dec. 17, 2009 11:01 a.m.

I know this Grove is true.

• gazelem
    Dec. 17, 2009 10:52 a.m.

RE: Jim 9:42 a.m.

Yes, they are called the CoC now. Not that it really matters.

While you may believe they are "wrong", I was merely pointing out that there are others who find inspiration in the Joseph Smith narrative who may not be believers in the literal descent of God to the grove (Mr. Parrot perhaps being one, the RLDS/CoC another).

• Anonymous
    Dec. 17, 2009 10:25 a.m.

I've been to the Grove a few times, and I'm glad to see a story about this man. You do a great job, Bob!

• Re: Rod
    Dec. 17, 2009 10:07 a.m.

Well, being that he was HIRED by the church to maintain that private property, my guess would be that no, he's not trespassing.

• Jim
    Dec. 17, 2009 9:42 a.m.

RE: Gazelem 9:00am

"The RLDS refer to it as the Grove Experience...."

It wouldn't be the first time that they were wrong.

Besides they are now the Community of Christ Church...I think

• gazelem
    Dec. 17, 2009 9:00 a.m.

Regarding Mr. Parrot's non-baptized status and belief in the vision, he didn't mention WHAT vision he thought had happened there. The RLDS refer to it as the "grove experience" because while they are unsure of what occurred there (due to the multiple conflicting accounts), it was obviously a transcendant experience for a young Joseph Smith. The grove should move everyone that way, particularly an itinerant forester! :)

• Rod
    Dec. 17, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Since this is private church property isn't he trespassing.

• Ross
    Dec. 17, 2009 8:37 a.m.

Great article, there is a powerful testimony in the sacred grove. I remember standing there looking at the trees and thinking that they were witnesses of the first vision. All things denote that Joseph saw and heard what he said he did in the grove of trees called sacred. Looking up through the trees to the sky and sunlight streaming through it is easy to visualize the Father and Son descending to communicate with the boy Joseph.

• Unasked Question
    Dec. 17, 2009 7:59 a.m.

There seems to be one glaring omission from the reporting in the article. The caretaker says he believes the vision took place, that it took place at the Grove, and that everything happened just as Joseph said it did. If that is the case, why isn't this man LDS? Why didn't the writer ask him that question? I'd like to know the answer. Wasn't the writer curious and didn't he/she think readers would be too? I would think no less of the man one way or the other, but it would be interesting to know why he believes but hasn't been baptized.

• Fred Atkinson
    Dec. 17, 2009 7:51 a.m.

I am very pleased that Bob Parrott is caring for the sacred grove. I know he is the right one for tht wonderful job. There's one thing for sure, he is right about feeling the spirit there, and befuddles me that he is not LDS. May Heavenly Father continue to protect the sacred grove and Bob Parrott.

• Joe
    Dec. 17, 2009 7:31 a.m.

Can I have his job when he is done?

• Anonymous
    Dec. 17, 2009 5:45 a.m.

What a beautiful article and beautiful man who takes such good care of the Grove. Maybe a few Wards and or primary's will send him heartfelt thank you notes.