Sports

BYU football: Max Hall wants to look ahead, not to the past

Comments

• re; scoreboard
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:50 p.m.

"Utah 2, BCS bowl wins, BYU, Zero.

Come back and talk as equals when you've done that baby brother."

National Championships, BYU 1, Utah 0
    oh yeah we are the little brothers

• Austin THE Y
    Dec. 24, 2009 4:40 p.m.

"Hall finished 2-1 against ur Utes and you have to live with that fact. Oh and where is Brian Johnson these days? in nfl? no he went undrafted. The ufl? nope, he couldn't cut it there either LOL. Funny how you ute fans bash BYU qbs, but ute qbs never seem to do a thing in the nfl."
    It's true you ute fans talk trash about our qbs when was the last time a utah qb made it big in the NFL never the closest you got was alex smith who barely kept his starting job i know it has been a decade since our last historical qb in the NFL(Steve Young)but ten years is better than never

• Re: Anonymous | 7:32 p.m.
    Dec. 14, 2009 6:33 p.m.

"A non-BYU student cannot be held to BYU's Honor Code. What about that concept do you not understand"

This however does not preclude the MWC from sanctioning Smith, Meyer, or Scalley. What they said and did displayed their "hate" in a public forum. However, in Meyer's case it took a while for his deeds to be annonced and cofirmed in a public forum. Encouraging your players to urniate on a symbol that represents a University is not directed at the football team, it is urinating on the symbol and all that it stands for and those who endevored to found the University.

Had Meyer done this to a Islam sponsored university, he would have been put to pubic shame in the media world wide, the ACLU would have pressured the UofU to discipline Meyer and black balled the UofU for future grants and research projects via the ACLU's political machine and Meyer would have to contend with the possiblity of stirring his own personal Jihad.

So to the UTE fans, where is there any written repramand of Meyer, Smith, or Scalley?

• Boise Blue
    Dec. 11, 2009 2:04 p.m.

I think everyone should give Max Hall a break. He apologized from his heart and we should all forgive. Also, in case you guys have already forgotten:

BOISE 2 BCS Bowls

BYU 0 BCS Bowls

Merry Christmas to all.

• Silly
    Dec. 11, 2009 1:55 p.m.

Anonymous 1:38:

Nice to see you join Max Hall in "classlessness."

Dec. 11, 2009 1:38 p.m.

I hate Max Hall. I hate everything about him.

Touche

• Roy S.
    Dec. 11, 2009 9:33 a.m.

Looking ahead, Max has a great chance to be the exclusive cell phone rep. for the NFL teams that draft Pitta and Unga.

So he's got that going for him.... which is nice.

• Max halls the man!
    Dec. 11, 2009 8:47 a.m.

Max hall lead the cougs to a great 13-0 then to a bcs bowl. What!?he didn't!? Well at least he led them to 3 mwc titles! Wait serious!? He didn't!? Oh wait! At least byu has had an undefeated year in the last twenty years!

Are you serious they haven't!!?!?!?!?!? Where have I been!?

• george
    Dec. 11, 2009 6:40 a.m.

amen to Howard S.

• Howard S.
    Dec. 10, 2009 7:48 p.m.

Max Hall supporters whine about a double standard when Ute fans call for a public reprimand by BYU for his hate-speak while ignoring Ute players and coaches who have uttered that same word.

I personally don't care who Max Hall hates, but here is the dealio.

There is a double standard... and guess what Cougars.... you created it.

BYU football publicly and willingly claims a higher standard as stripling warriors and standard bearers for the values of BYU.

In fact, it is that higher standard that enables BYU's sense of superiority.

If you claim the role of public standard bearer, then don't complain when people notice that when BYU players fall short of the standard, the administration hypocritically responds with a wink and a nod.

• After football, tedium exists
    Dec. 10, 2009 12:32 p.m.

re: Ute fan | 4:51 p.m. Dec. 9, 2009

Lets not bring a 2nd rate sport/league into a discussion about the GREATEST game EVER.

• Interesting
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:37 a.m.

Interesting how Hall critics keep bringing up the honor code to justify their contempt
    Guess its easier to not have a code and succeed than to try to be better and fail
    Obviously some people's concern for the BYU honor code is more about its potential use as a weapon, rather than somethign to aspire to.

Hall said something insensitive - which is not an honor code violation like cheating on a test; it is more like saying "I hate my english class" (do you really hate all the people in your english class? or do simply hate the behaviour of your classmates or the curriculum or the bad grammer) Do you really want to publicly flogg someone over that? Are you that vindictive?

At least BYU has had a converstion about the speech - something Utah never had about their hate speech

Personally, I think both those who think they are (hypcritically) victimized by Hall and those who self-righteously think he somehow disgraced them personally (and want him punished) are far more classless than anything he said.

I think it is great that Max angered both the abusive and the pompous at both ends of the fan spectrum

• Re: Toad | 4:29 a.m.
    Dec. 10, 2009 10:17 a.m.

"by saying what he did and when he did it, has everyone talking about what he said and not that they won the game, which takes the win away from his teammates and that is just sad."

I couldn't agree more. In some strange way though, I don't think it bothers Hall. In fact, I believe that deep down he is very proud of what he did regardless of the accolades the incident has taken from his teammates.

• Toad
    Dec. 10, 2009 4:29 a.m.

I don't really have a problem with what he said but when he said it, say it before the game like Alex and Morgan did not after the fact, that is showing that you are a sore winner. Take your win, congratulate your teammates and show some good sportsmanship, by saying what he did and when he did it, has everyone talking about what he said and not that they won the game, which takes the win away from his teammates and that is just sad.

Dec. 9, 2009 11:26 p.m.

That's the problem with proclaiming a certain moral code. Everyone expects it from you later.

I really think this is BYU's fault and the coaches more than Hall's. I'm sure it wasn't the first time he souted off like that - just the first time anyone around him objected to it.

• Re: Cougar Perspective | 5:08 p.
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:38 p.m.

Thanks for the detailed story. What an unfortunate event...demonstrates that it is on both sides.

• george
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:23 p.m.

So let me get this straight, Hall is still allowed to play for BYU?
    I always understood that they had role model responsibilities and were to live by a 'honour code' - now it doesn't matter if you are the Quarterback? or because he made disparaging comments about a rival?

• blueman
    Dec. 9, 2009 7:59 p.m.

Lets give max a break on the hate utah thing. He got caught up in the moment.They have said and done worse. He has been an outstanding QB. He has won and lost big games just as the other byu great QB'S. He has won more games than any of the others. Will he go on to a pro career,i think so because he is a winner. I predict he will beat the beavers on the 22nd too. Here is to a great career Max Hall.

Dec. 9, 2009 7:32 p.m.

No, no...I like it. Nails you guys exactly.

Re: Graduate/Or Not? | 6:18 p.m.
    That's a great comment from Smith and I concur 100%.

What you and your ilk continue to not understand is that there is no Honor Code at the University of Utah. You people point that out to us frequently. A non-BYU student cannot be held to BYU's Honor Code. What about that concept do you not understand?

However, as we have seen the last two weeks, BYU students are not held to the BYU Honor Code either. Therefore, the "Code" is more like guidelines...i.e., empty words on paper to BYU students.

I want to thank Hall, Jorgensen, and the assistant coach for demonstrating just how valueless BYU's Honor Code is.

• Re: Re: Ute Guide @6:25
    Dec. 9, 2009 7:29 p.m.

"Your sequel attempt wasn't very good."

I liked it

• Alexd
    Dec. 9, 2009 6:45 p.m.

Max is my spokesman....! 'nuff said.

• future
    Dec. 9, 2009 6:42 p.m.

Max Hall will be selling cell phones in a mall Kiosk in the near future

• Re: Re: Ute Guide
    Dec. 9, 2009 6:25 p.m.

Your sequel attempt wasn't very good.

• Re: JM
    Dec. 9, 2009 6:20 p.m.

Well it easy to say, he can't do any worse then Alex Smith.

• Re: Graduate/Or Not?
    Dec. 9, 2009 6:18 p.m.

An earlier poster included Alex Smith's comments about BYU.

"I'm much more into it this year," Smith says. "I really hate them. Playing in the game helped me understand. They are the most arrogant people. It's the whole church and state thing. They're the 'good kids'. We're the 'bad kids.' I didn't feel it in my gut last year like I do now."

Would you support the University of Utah retracting Alex's diploma also, for similar comments? I'd be interested to hear your reply.

• Graduate/Or Not?
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:54 p.m.

Suspend Him and do not let him Graduate, For a comment like that he should not be able to Graduate, What will happen next?

• Re: Ute Guide
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:35 p.m.

And if you are a Byu fan:
    1) keep being arrogant
    2) if you win a game, gloat and proclaim yourselves the best team in the nation.
    3) if you lose a game, say "well we still have a NC back in 1984".
    4) and if any one calls you out about your arrogance say "well so are you".
    5) continue to show your lack of class by posting period...

• Re: Ute Fan
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:27 p.m.

Your post cracked me up. I'm with you all the way. Ute and Cougar fans unite! Hate the Lakers!

• ok
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:20 p.m.

All I see here is U fans trying to play victim because Hall said somthing that their own team says all the time (using BYU's honor code as an excuse to avoid introspection), or
    BYU fans ready to crucify a man who "embarrassed them" while missing the underlying irony (tolerating abuse encourages abuse - therefore Hall arguably has as much moral responsibility to speak out against abuse as those who criticize him feel they do for criticising him using strong language [with many of his critics using equally strident language])

I just see a quarterback who waited until after he beat Utah to tell them how much he resented their abuse of his family.

That works for me

• NEWS FLASH
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:16 p.m.

Rivalries aren't a love fest. Who new?

• Coug fan
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:15 p.m.

Ute fan @ 4:51 gets it,

Point taken. lol! I hate the Lakers, too.

• Alex Smith
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:12 p.m.

Was there ever any public reprimand by the MWC or an apology by Alex Smith or even a statement by the U of U when Alex Smith made the following comments on national TV (ESPN)

Here is the excerpt FYI.

............Smith is a native of San Diego and knew little of the Utah-BYU rivalry. He knows now.

• Cougar Perspective
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:08 p.m.

I married into a very Red family. My father in law is a retired dean at the U, and a season ticket holder. I've attended scores of football and basketball games over the years. I have never had a bad experience, other than when the Y lost, lol.

I was at Lavell's final game in 2000, when Doman hit Pittman on a long 4th down play. The Y scored in the final seconds and it ripped the heart out of the Ute fans. I was sitting in the Alumni section about midfield, 4 rows behind the cougar bench. The fans were courteous even in defeat, even though the fans directly behind us were plastered.

I was frustrated at BYU's Pittman, who after the Y scored, put his hand to his ear as if to hear the silence of the crowd, and then extended his middle finger. It was totally classless on his part. I wrote to the athletic department and voiced my disdain for his actions.

I have great appreciation for all the classy fans at both schools. As the majority, perhaps we can encourage the childish antics of the few to preserve a great rivalry.

• Big Green Tractor
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:07 p.m.

Let's be optimistic guys! Max Hall leaves YBU and goes in the NFL.......he may be able to break one of Farve's records!!! His interception record that is lol....What a joke! He is classless and doesn't deserve to play anywhere. Give me a break.

• Less standard justifies hate
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:56 p.m.

Oh, I get it...

You can hate what Max Hall said and/or hate all of BYU for not holding him accountable (because they have standards against hate), while you don't have to be held accountable for your hate of BYU.

That's not hypocritical, or anything. You're not hating exactly what you hate, at all. (Sarcasm intended).

I think I do get it!

• BYU victim
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:53 p.m.

I was picked on in school for wearing a BYU shirt and for cheering for BYU. I think Max Hall should not have appoligized for his comments because they are true. Ute fans are bullies and deserve to be ridiculed. Ute fans are the cause of all the emotional problems I have for tramatizing me. I should sue them.

• Ute fan
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:51 p.m.

Ok we forgive you Max! I still hate the Lakers! Lets go Jazz!

• Re: tracydrive | 1:51 p.m.
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:49 p.m.

"I wish BYU as an institution and the LDS Church as an organization would simply stop the retoric and simply acknowledge that they really aren't any different that any other school or religion. They all fight and compete to win like everyone else."

Exactly...you got it!

Dec. 9, 2009 4:47 p.m.

RE: Anonymous | 8:18 a.m. Dec. 9, 2009

"doesn't come as a surprize that the yewts are spamming this board.. They have NOTHING to cheer about so the best they can do is live in the past, heckle the Cougars, and dream of a better season in four or five years."

I am a Cougar fan and I get sick of hearing "Well, how many National Championships do the Utes have... oh thats right none"

BYU Fans live in the past just as much as anyone else. Don't sling mud when you are the one playing in the dirt as well.

• to 3:19pm
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:43 p.m.

No, I don't get it. There's nothing to get.

How has BYU not followed their standard and their honor code?

There is nothing in their honor code that suggests your way to "walk the talk" is any better than the way BYU itself already upholds and follows its own standard in this instance or any other.

Provide us with a quote from the honor code and an example where the University didn't follow the actual wording in that code.

In other words, you (all on your own) are holding Max Hall and BYU to a higher standard then you would yourself, as if you hating BYU, is somehow justified. That's hypocritical!

• A different Cougar Fan
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:40 p.m.

"After BYU plays Oregon State in the Las Vegas Bowl on Dec. 22, the couple will reside in Arizona and Hall will begin preparing for what he hopes will be a career in the National Football League."

This is the funniest thing I have read all day. Max, I love you, I am grateful for the time you played at BYU, but no way are you the calibur for the big league. Maybe you can join Luke Staley up in Canada.

• Love the hypocrisy of Utah fans
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:26 p.m.

Let me see if I got this straight:

When Max Hall says he hates Utah fans, he's not being a good Mormon?

But when returned missionary Morgan Scalley uses one of George Carlin's Seven Forbidden Words on camera, or when Kyle Whittingham goes on a profanity-laden tirade on the sidelines (people can read lips, you know), they're still good members of the Church?

I think I got it now, Ute fans: Mormons who attend the U can do or say anything they want, while those who attend the Y must uphold LDS standards.

And you wonder why no one takes your outrage over this incident seriously.

• Proof...
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:20 p.m.

Max Hall has only proven one thing to me, If you
    "speak from the heart" you can say whatever you want, no matter how rude it is, or how much it might hurt someone!
    And now to all the BYU cougar fans that claim they have had beer thrown on them at Utah, FIND SOMETHING NEW TO SAY ABOUT THE UTE FANS. That one is old, and a bunch of lies!!!!!!!!!

Dec. 9, 2009 4:13 p.m.

My hope is that some of you people:

Ute Guide | 3:08 p.m.
    re: Re: hate goes both ways | 2: | 3:42 p.m.
    Re: Plan B | 3:57 p.m.
    Stolen Thunder | 4:02 p.m.

...are either in Jr. High, High School, or college and NOT out trying to earn a living for your family.

• Ute Fan Guide
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:08 p.m.

Excellent advice in the Ute Fan Guide...mandatory reading that should be posted above every Deseret News sports article (not just the BYU articles, as some Ute fans have trouble distinguishing between teams, sports, religions, coaches, etc.)

• Stolen Thunder
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:02 p.m.

Perhaps some of the vengeful Ute posters in here are just ticked that Max beat them to the punch.

• Re: Plan B
    Dec. 9, 2009 3:57 p.m.

Ty Detmer once threw 7 picks in one NFL game. He remained in the league for 14 years, and totaled 34 touchdowns and 35 picks, all while amassing millions of dollars...not a bad "Plan".

• re: Re: hate goes both ways | 2:
    Dec. 9, 2009 3:42 p.m.

yea we get it - you hate BYU

• Plan B
    Dec. 9, 2009 3:24 p.m.

Hey Hall, hope there is a Plan B in Arizona because Plan A is just not going to happen! There is not a great demand for interception leaders in the NFL

• Re: hate goes both ways | 2:48 p
    Dec. 9, 2009 3:19 p.m.

"Many of you won't ever be able to move on from this. You will associate one player's comments with an entire university forever. Why?

You hate BYU (and everything it stands for), just like he hates Utah!"

NO! The issue is foundational to everything that BYU is supposed to be. That is, BYU has abdicated responsibility for the principles it espouses. The principles at the core of the Honor Code...the Honor Code that the BYU faithful flaunt in front of others when it is convenient for them to do so.

It is not a "Utah" thing, it is not an "Air Force Academy" thing it is about BYU doing what's right. It is not "one player's comments" it is about BYU walking the talk.

Get it?

• Ute Guide
    Dec. 9, 2009 3:08 p.m.

A UTE FAN GUIDE TO POSTING COMMENTS

1. If you lose a big game, talk about last year.
    2. If a BYU player says he hates Utah, act offended, act like you have never personally said that you hate BYU, act like players from Utah don't hate BYU.
    3. If a BYU player mentions a possible career in the NFL, laugh at him and tell him how rare it is for a QB who only won 31 games to get drafted.
    4. If you are a ute fan reading a BYU article about BYU football and BYU's upcoming bowl game and a BYU players decisions about the future, use the comment section to talk about how BYU is obsessed with Utah.
    5. When discussing the scoreboard of the last game between Utah and BYU... wait, don't discuss this.
    6. Don't ever talk about the current success of anyones football team unless it is the '04-05 or '08-09 season.
    7. Try chopping onions before talking about how much Max Hall's comments hurt your feelings. It might make people more sympathetic if you can give a good fake cry.

• to: JM
    Dec. 9, 2009 3:03 p.m.

I doubt you have $10,000 to drop on a football game. My guess is that you are pumping Lenny Gomez's gas when you aren't being a troll on BYU articles.

get a life. Hall had a great career. He might make it in the NFL. Who knows for sure?

• Russ
    Dec. 9, 2009 2:49 p.m.

Yes, BYU 26 -Utah 23 all year long!!! "By George... I think he's got it!"

• hate goes both ways
    Dec. 9, 2009 2:48 p.m.

We get it already! Many of you won't ever be able to move on from this. You will associate one player's comments with an entire university forever. Why?

You hate BYU (and everything it stands for), just like he hates Utah!

You are no different than him. Just try not to pretend that you are any better than him though, because then you are as much a hypocrite as anyone--the very reason you justify hating him (and BYU).

• NFL Draft...
    Dec. 9, 2009 2:32 p.m.

Hall heard they the NFL wants to start a draft for practice QB's. It's reported that teams would like to allow their Defensive Teams the option to go 100% in practice and need a tackling dummy in the back field.

After hearing Hall's rants and apologies, I'm sure Hall will go early in the first round. They are looking for players meet a couple of specific requirements.

1st: They must have a slightly lower IQ than the average QB.

2nd: A pre-disposition to appear slightly brain damaged. (ie: concussion are part of the job.)

• Re: JM
    Dec. 9, 2009 2:08 p.m.

Earth to Yewt: Sorry to disappoint you, but there is NO Santa Claus.

BYU 26.....Utah 23

• tracydrive
    Dec. 9, 2009 1:51 p.m.

Mendenhall has injected alot of religion into the BYU football program over the years. Halls post game comments go against what Mendenhall is espousing and certainly what alot of other religious people believe.

All in all I'm still trying to figure out what athletics has to do with religion. I wish BYU as an institution and the LDS Church as an organization would simply stop the retoric and simply acknowledge that they really aren't any different that any other school or religion. They all fight and compete to win like everyone else.

Dec. 9, 2009 1:31 p.m.

ESPN article 12/8/2004.... "when he[Urban Meyer] has BYU stickers placed in Utah's urinals the week of the game"

ESPN a huge national media outlet carried the urinal story.

So once again, please explain why Urban did not recieve any sort of consequence, and I will say this once again, had Urban done this to a Islam owned/sponsored college team, the ACLU would have had their way with Urban.

• re: Re: Re: Not enough | 7:01 a
    Dec. 9, 2009 1:27 p.m.

""The U of U did not take any action against Meyer for the urinal cakes, and former U of U player Kyle Gunther confirmed that Meyer did this."

Was it on television? Was it photographed and put in the paper? No? Alleged activities behind closed doors vs. the Brigham Young University public parade courtesy of Jogensen, Hall, coaches, etc.

Truthfully...do you not see the difference?"

YES there is a big differene - the media turning Hall into acircus to sell papers

So I guess you are saying hate is OK as long as it does not make the papers

• BYU, Where Hate Speech is Good
    Dec. 9, 2009 1:23 p.m.

I really think this incident will cost Max Hall the Heisman Trophy this year.

• Re: 11:47 a.m
    Dec. 9, 2009 1:18 p.m.

Kyler Gunther, former Ute player during the Meyer era broke the story and he and other players have confirmed the urinal cake story to be true. Gunther has confirmed this story on his 1280 zone show on more than one occasion.

Furthermore, Monson stated in his 10/22/09 SLT colum "Urban Meyer had BYU logo cakes placed in the urinals in the Utes' locker room"

The story has been confirmed by more than one source and on muliple occasions. So lets get back to the question, did the UofU do anything about this degrading gesture perperated by Meyer that displayed hate towards an entire institution.

Dec. 9, 2009 1:02 p.m.

NFL? LOL! I don't think so Max! I hope BYU afforded you an education because soon you will be in the real world with the rest of us. Hey you might even be pumping some gas for us Ute fans! :)

• The Difference
    Dec. 9, 2009 12:57 p.m.

The allegations Hall leveled at the University of Utah and those that Jan Jorgensen (and the assistant coach) leveled at the Air Force Academy earned them a reprimand from the MWC. The league took action when BYU did nothing irrespective of the Honor Code and subordinate standards that were violated by these players and coach.

The incidents that Hall put forward make a good story but were not dealt with at the time. For that reason, they are not substantiated and no action taken by the league. Based on what I have seen and heard from Mr. Hall, I struggle putting much credibility into anything he says. Many valid questions have been raised on these boards about his story.

Any Man | 12:09 p.m. - - you have taken Hall's story and accepted it in it's entirety and without question. Is that a wise thing to do?

• Ref: Scoreboard
    Dec. 9, 2009 12:53 p.m.

Come back and talk equals when you have an NC. Nobody remembers second or fifth, but they always remember the NC. LOL!!!! Poor uties, they can never measure up to the big CATS down south. Thank for playing (did I see George flying past my wiindow. I think Sylvester is still trying to tackle his own team mate.) LOL!!!

• Sorry Utes.
    Dec. 9, 2009 12:43 p.m.

Sorry Utes, your best win this season is over Air Force. You have no ground to stand on. Your team is pathetic.

• Bender Rodriguez
    Dec. 9, 2009 12:16 p.m.

re: Anonymous | 11:26 a.m. Dec. 9, 2009

(Oh well, another upstanding BYU grad prepares to "go forth to serve." )

Hey. You never know when that big break in Hollywood will come.

• Any Man
    Dec. 9, 2009 12:09 p.m.

Any Man would and should have similarly strong feelings (read hate) for anyone(fans)who would do the things that were done to Hall's family or who would stand idly by (fans and administration) and do nothing. What is worse, saying hate or demonstrating hate?

• Say what?
    Dec. 9, 2009 12:04 p.m.

Why are there so many UTAH fans spending so much of their time reading stories about BYU? I really don't understand. If you don't like BYU why are you wasting your time reading articles and commenting about the Cougars? Oh maybe you like to be contentious and to judge others and rile people up. Well keep reading if it makes you feel better.

• gosouth24
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:58 a.m.

Dear Hear Enough: Hate is in the ear of the beholder. I have never felt hate from either side of the Holy War thing. I have always gotten a good laugh at the bantering. You can't be serious about your feeling hate. Remember your mothers teaching; Stick and Stones? If you still feel hate because of a football players name calling, I suggest you find a new hobby. Otherwise enjoy yourself, and keep writing your own rants and stop taking yourself so serious. Nobody else does.

Dec. 9, 2009 11:54 a.m.

re: Way to go Max... | 9:50 a.m. Dec. 9, 2009

Ahhh, nepotism. The only way to get ahead in BYU athletics.... it selts the table for Mid level marketing in a few yrs.

• Re: Re: Not enough | 7:01 a.m. |
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:47 a.m.

Truthfully...do you not see the difference?

• Cougarf@n
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:43 a.m.

I think the Scalley and Smith's hate comments provide an interesting study on the difference between Cougars and Utes. I have to precede this comment by saying that, personally, I don't think any of the hate comments were appropriate as representatives of either University. That said, let's consider the fallout of each comment.

When Smith and Scalley said they hated BYU, nobody cared. No apology was issued nor was any apology needed. Why you ask? Because we BYU fans really don't care what the Utah players think or say. In fact, we expect them to say stupid things.

The same is obviously not true in reverse. Utah fans are whining, complaining, refusing to accept any apology and crying like three year olds over Hall's comments. Ute fan's sensitivity to anything Hall says is embarrassing. Don't ya'll have any pride at all? If you had any desire to retain what's left of your dignity then you'd at least pretend you didn't care what Hall said and move on.

There, I can use the proper names for the fans of my rival.

Dec. 9, 2009 11:39 a.m.

Unlike max hall I don't hate byu fans, some of my best friends are y fans. Grow up, we have some great college teams in our state and fortunatly we have a competative rivalry . Nobody perfect and I don't dislike hall for what he said, I still respect him and byu. Let's stop degrading each other and this great rivalry and just enjoy it for what it is, a game!

Dec. 9, 2009 11:38 a.m.

When is Jan Jorgensen's press conference? I'm sure he is anxious to tell us what made him criticize Air Force.

Dec. 9, 2009 11:26 a.m.

"I'm done talking about it. That statement is how I felt. I just want to move on," he said. "I've moved on a long time ago. ... I really meant what I said when I put out a statement. That wasn't something that they called me up and said I needed to do. I actually called (BYU football media relations director Brett Pyne) about it and said, 'I've got some stuff I want to say.

I'm sure Hall is ready to move on. I'm equally sure he has always gotten everything he wants his entire life and held accountable for little if anything.

Gee, what a swell guy to actually call "(BYU football media relations director Brett Pyne) about it and said, 'I've got some stuff I want to say."

A real stand up guy, that Max Hall. He also lies. He is abundantly clear that he does pay attention to what is going on in the press.

Oh well, another upstanding BYU grad prepares to "go forth to serve."

• Re: Not enough | 7:01 a.m.
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:25 a.m.

The U of U did not take any action against Meyer for the urinal cakes, and former U of U player Kyle Gunther confirmed that Meyer did this. Meyer did not qualify that he only meant to urinate on BYU's team which by the way is not only classeles but very degrading and hatefull to BYU as an institution and the student body as a whole.Urinating a symbol of an institution is an action manifesting hate. Meyer would not have the guts to do that to Notre Dame or a hypothetical Islam religion owned college, and were BYU owned by a Islam group, the ACLU would have come down on the UofU for what Meyer did.

Scalley's comments about hating BYU and calling them a slang name for genitalia in video that was aired publically were never addressed by the UofU admin. Scalley issued no public appology, and he was never suspended.

Tate made some choice anti-BYU comments as well that were in a semi pulbic forum, and nothing was said or done to him by the UofU.

I you want to hold BYU accountable then you have to hold UofU accountable as well.

• Bewildered
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:20 a.m.

"Holmoe acknowledges BYU students go over the line sometimes and when that happens, he lets them know about it. He says there are no simple solutions and ideally it starts with each individual taking responsibility."

Holmoe lets them know about it? How? What does he do? He tells us in the next sentence..."each individual takes responsibility."

In other words, Holmoe does NOTHING! And, if you look closely, that EXACTLY what Mendenhall does...NOTHING.

• Henry Drummond
    Dec. 9, 2009 11:18 a.m.

I think he handled the interview well. Of course it is kinda hard to put the toothpaste back into the tube. Just ask Lenny Gomes.

Dec. 9, 2009 11:00 a.m.

Hall is a great quarterback and I will miss his fire. He wasn't wise to say what he did. His only real mistake was saying that it was everyone. If he had directed his comments to the 5-10% who he meant to, absolutely no apology would have been needed.

Go cougs - Beat Oregon State.

• Re: Re: Cougarf@n | 5:45 a.m.
    Dec. 9, 2009 10:44 a.m.

Lighten up, Francis. I saw nothing in his comments that is any different than Ute fans who call BYU fans "kittens" or "kewgs".

What this board doesn't need are Ute fans pretending to be outraged BYU fans.

• RE: Way to go Max
    Dec. 9, 2009 10:32 a.m.

And your point?

Utes are still losers. 26-23, buddy.

Merry Christmas

• Mote and Beam??
    Dec. 9, 2009 10:18 a.m.

Does anyone else find it interesting that the very behavior Ute fans castigate Max Hall for is the behavior those same Ute fans clearly demonstrate in their anti-Max Hall (and anti-BYU) posts?

And while we are at it, has any Ute fan EVER critized Morgan Scalley and a list of other Utah players for stating publicly that they hate BYU?

The double standard of ute fans is exceeded only by their inability to recognize that double standard!

• equals???
    Dec. 9, 2009 10:12 a.m.

BYU is already superior...come back when you have won national title. BYU has had top five finishes before (like Utah's BCS years). Come back Utah fan and talk when you are an equal. Had the stupid BCS existed with it's current criteria, BYU would have played inat least5 BCS games to this point.

Dec. 9, 2009 10:04 a.m.

Max being a nonjudgmental liberal I never held these words against you. I try to look inward. Then, I realize I can walk on water. I learn to forgive people and to see human imperfections as part of who we are.

I'm so amazed reading people who call them selves Christian who write in here. It would be hell to spend eternity with these folks.

• Truth Hurts
    Dec. 9, 2009 10:04 a.m.

The truth hurts, doesn't it Utes?

• Re: Cougarf@n | 5:45 a.m.
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:58 a.m.

"It's kind of funny that some Yewts are saying they want the quarterback that brought BYU fans "Collie is still open" AND "George is still running" to come back next year. As if a QB that went 2-1 against ewe (and 2-1 against ranked opponents this year) couldn't go 3-1. I keep hearing yewts brimming with optimism about next year, but it seems Utah loses an awful lot of talent on the defensive end so you put that against BYU losing Hall, which some yewts seem to suggest will actually help BYU, and there's no basis for your statements. BYU and Utah will both probably be good but not great next season and the rivalry game will be a coin flip, like usual."

This is the kind of comment / disrespect that we absolutely do not need. I am a BYU fan and am disappointed that the Deseret News continues to allow posts of this nature on the board. Take your clever jargon to another team. BYU has hurt itself enough. We do not need your comments. Thanks.

• Way to go Max...
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:50 a.m.

Max could very well make it in the NFL...there's always room for another T. O. in the NFL.

Max and Pita are brothers-in-law. The Reynolds brothers are being coached by their dad who is on the BYU payroll, the Doman kid on defense is the quarterback coach's cousin, Mendenhall is best friends with Holmoe...the guy who pays him (Mendenhall).

Holy Cow, what a mess.

• montanacutter
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:46 a.m.

I can't believe that Max (where is the ball Hall) thinks he has a shot a the NFL. Max still can not win the big one. And OSU will confirm that issue. Max has a Me issue as well. That does not work in the NFL either. Try coaching Max, little league first.

• So dear Uties
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:46 a.m.

St. Alex proclaimed to hate BYU as did Eric Weddle and Morgan Scalley. Urban allegedly put pictures of BYU players in the urinals, so who is calling the kettle black.
    And yes, Harline is still open; Magic is happening in Collie Land and galloping George is indeed a hero and is still running. And Hall was 2-1 against the vaunted Ute defenses.

• Lance
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:44 a.m.

Okay. No more hating (both sides). Let's all just take a big breath and forget the past negative things that have happened and remember all the positives about this great rivalry.

Good luck to both teams in their bowl games. Good luck Max with your future plans. GO COUGS!

• Utes shouldn't look forward
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:43 a.m.

For years, BYU and Utah have done extremely well with recruiting classes that the ranking services typically rank in the 40s and 50s. Next year is different, with BYU's class ranked 16th or 17th and the next closes (TCU's) ranked 54th. If these rankings have any credibility and even some of the Y recruits live up to their college potential (Heaps, Kaufusi, Van Noy, Schwenke, Stout, Apo, Phillips, Fabuluje, Owens, Rowley, Johnson), the Utes need to get comfortable with the idea of a third place finish year after year.

• Congrats Max!
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:39 a.m.

First of all congratulations to Max Hall and the Cougars for a great year and wishing you the best of luck against OSU. Should be a great game. And, I also hope that Utah beats Cal and am certainly whishing them the best of luck as well.

As for Max Hall, consider this Cougar fans and Ute "fans" err... haters.

Hall has a career QB Efficiency rating of 151 which ranks him 6th against the last 20 BYU QBs. He has a TD/Int ratio of 2.28, ranking him 4th (behind Doman, McMahon, & Beck). He threw for over 11,000 yards, 2nd to only Detmer and he is the winningest BYU QB of all time.

So, before you bag on Max's talent, consider what we have had at BYU over the past 3 years.

As for his comments...two things. 1) It is a dead story and should be dropped. 2) For those Utah fans who continue to be so offended, hey, the truth hurts. Change your behavior and get over it.

Dec. 9, 2009 9:33 a.m.

Hall Beat Oklahoma

Hall went 4 and 2 against the Pac 10 - with his 7th game against Oregon State still to come. He three bad losses were to Florida State, TCU (in 08) and Tulsa (he put up 47 against Tulsa so it really is not his fault on that.

His only other 2 losses in 3 years were to TCU ranked 3rd in the Nation and Utah who was ranked 5th in the nation at the time.

That Means he won every other game he played including beating his HATED rivals Utah 2 other games.

GET OVER IT Admitted Mistake - Why should he say he apologies for hating Utah. He does hate Utah - an apology would be a lie

• re: Classy
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:30 a.m.

"Classy | 8:49 a.m. Dec. 9, 2009
    Max is classy? Wow, that's mind-bending. Cougar fans are really selling out their ethics to support this guy? Did you hear what he said? He HATES. Look at the parallels of history and the company that puts him in. This wasn't a spur of the moment rash comment. This was a pre-meditated, one year in the making comment. Max is not classy unless you consider guys like Charles Manson and Pol Pot classy."

So you are classifying the school ground rant of Max Hall hating someone or a group in the same sentence as mass murderers? I saw someone else compare him to Hitler who tried to exterminate the Jews. Please people freedom of speech is for all not just annonymous bloggers with little clout (probably little other things to).

The only exterminating/murdering Max did was to Utah's record and their fan's pride. Like a soccer match score it will forever be 2-1 final for Max Hall.

Remember stone casters, it is upon you to forgive regardless if the offending party ever asks for forgiveness to your standards or not.

• Re: Not Enough
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:28 a.m.

Grow Up. Be a man. Quit acting like the snively, resentful, hateful, BYU(directed at Max Hall) -hater that you are and start cheering for your own team. Utah has much to be proud of this year. So spend your time cheering for that and forget about the past and MOVE ON as Max Hall is obviously doing. Max Hall is a fiery competitor that let some comments get away from him but he has been hugely successful and a good guy. My kids have had the privilege of meeting him several times and he has been nothing but awesome and funny with them. My son wanted him to sign his shoe. Instead of acting weird, he pretended to smell it and get sick making all of my kids laugh. He is a great person. Quit being a baby and cheer for your own team. I even do once in a while.Go Byu and Utah!

• gary
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:23 a.m.

Just more back and forth drivel from U and BYU fans....

• Scoreboard
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:18 a.m.

Utah 2, BCS bowl wins, BYU, Zero.

Come back and talk as equals when you've done that baby brother.

• Shwangr
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:07 a.m.

Why do ute fans keep down playing this game and saying Utah was in a "rebuilding" year? If you had better players, why weren't they on the field? Great programs should always have great players, right? You can keep down playing the game and trying to shift the focus to Max Halls comments, but the only relevant argument between ute fans and byu fans is the scoreboard on the latest rivalry game.

• raider
    Dec. 9, 2009 9:04 a.m.

As far as Hall and the NFL are concerned personally I doubt he makes it. but what I do know is that he has a WAY better shot at being drafted and making a team then BJ ever had.

• Re: Gretkzy
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Just a correction: John Beck was drafted and signed by an NFL team -- Miami Dolphins -- and actually started for a while. He's currently a back-up QB for the Balitimore Ravens.

Even if Max Hall rides the bench for just one year he'll be ahead of Brian Johnson in terms of NFL experience.

• Scoreboard
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Max will finish his great college career 2-1 vs. the u and will always have scoreboard for the rest of his life over the u. His legacy was etched on 4th and 18 and cemented on his pass to Andrew George who I here is still running!!! We appreciate what you have done Max for the Cougars now go out and win vs Oregon State!

• Teej
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:56 a.m.

Amen, Dennis and Max! Move on, people...have you no lives? Let's go take on OSU and win, Cougars!

Dec. 9, 2009 8:55 a.m.

Great time in Provo Max! Thanks for being a winner! Don't feel too bad about your comments. The Ute poster have backed you up!

Dec. 9, 2009 8:50 a.m.

Yewts continue to whine about Max's apology. He said it well. He doesn't hate all of them, just the weasels that did the horrendous things to his family and others at RES.

• so long Maxie
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:48 a.m.

Run home to AZ. Go on, get out of here! Smart guy to leave when he did. And never come back. You're a stain on BYU.

• He'll do fine in the NFL
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:46 a.m.

I'm not a Max Hall or BYU fan, but I am a fan of making money. And the league minimum is huge in the NFL. If he rides the pine for two or three seasons, he'll still make the league minimum and be set up for a long time. Good luck Max. Get that payday.

• re: Not enough | 7:01 a.m.
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:46 a.m.

Would a public flogging be sufficient for you? Or does this warrent the death penalty?

• re:Admitted mistake? | 8:14 a.m.
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:43 a.m.

Are you suggesting that Hall needs to apologize for condeming those that engage in abuse?

I not only think you are wrong - I think your attitude perpetutes abuse and is oddly judgemental. So will you repent too?

• Gretkzy
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:25 a.m.

i have not been a fan of Max (he plays in a great QB "system") but i have to give him credit for owning up to his offensive comments (even if i agreed with many of them and understood who and what he was talking about) and contacting BYU media to make the apology statement. that does show class on his part. I doubt he will make it in the NFL any more than Brian Johnson or John Beck have so far. but wow, if you can collect the NFL minimum wage of 800K that i have heard of for sitting on the bench and staying healthy then why not? Good Luck Max!

Dec. 9, 2009 8:18 a.m.

Good Luck Max.. You ARE a classy guy! Even though the classless yewts won't accept your apology (which shows how much class they really have), you will do great in the NFL.

• remember Collie
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:17 a.m.

How many of you Ute fans (BYU haters) were saying the exact same thing about Austin Collie last year that you are saying about Max Hall this year not making it into the NFL.

Last I checked Austin is doing very well at least 2 times from what I saw he was nominated for Rookie of the Week in the NFL . . . oh wait I thought he wouldn't even get drafted.

I'll wait and see on Max before I start to take answers from whatever crystal ball you are using.

• Fan
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:15 a.m.

Love you Max - beat OSU
    (Utah beat Cal too)

• I miss Max
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:15 a.m.

You are right - Max is smart. He has already moved out of state.

"This has all been a great blessing".....err really?
    So hate brings blessings?? is that considered "living right off the field"

His comments didn't bother me but I do find kind of funny that they have been a blessing to him. Sounds like he got more support from his comments than he did for his play over the year. I haven't forgotten all the coog fans that wanted to pull him and put in Riley Neilson when he led the nation in interceptions.

Good luck in the NFL Max - but watch out because they actually have beer in those stadiums.

• Admitted mistake?
    Dec. 9, 2009 8:14 a.m.

I haven't Max Hall apologize for his comments. I have heard him justify them and say they were misunderstood. I have heard him try and discount them but really how hard is it to understand, "I hate them and everthing about them." There is no way out of this except a forthright, "I was wrong and I as for your forgiveness." The steps of repentance demand asking forgiveness from those you've wronged and Max has not come close to doing that. It's a hard pill to swallow for him but it must be done. Repentance is hard and Max Hall better get on it quick.

Dec. 9, 2009 8:01 a.m.

With such acrimony, the best plan is still to cancel the rivalry - no more BYU/Utah games.

However, don't forget the real enemy is the BSC, who pit TCU against Boise State to avoid another 2 non-BSC wins over BSC teams. Until the MWC can command the respect it deserves to legitimately compete for the national title, what does it really matter what happens on 50 miles of the I-15? This is truly a 'tempest in a teapot'.

• Usolame
    Dec. 9, 2009 7:54 a.m.

I agree with "wow".

• Max Hall
    Dec. 9, 2009 7:49 a.m.

has to rank up with the greats at BYU. His passion, ability, and being a winner is what separated him from the others. Being 2-1 against the utes counts as well. Hopefully, future BYU qbs will possess his qualities so that the program can continue to grow and dominate the state's other universities on the field. Let's see, isn't that 3 out the last 4. It's trending BYU's way and we have Max to thank for it. He'll be missed.

Dec. 9, 2009 7:48 a.m.

26-23. Scoreboard.

• re: Lets See
    Dec. 9, 2009 7:13 a.m.

Max, so far, has only played in 2 bowl games. How can he be 1-2?

And the point of being 2-1 against Utah is brought up because it is BYU Haters that proclaim to be Utah fans that pollute these message posts on a regular basis with their guile and immature comments (you know HATE).

Before we had our DARK (Crowton) years I can honestly say as a BYU fan you guys were a fun after thought of a game for internal bragging rights because your recruiting bed was the same areas (local rival). But I don't live in Utah so the bragging rights was never something I cared about(recruiting - different story) but we often would win the conference whether we beat you or not and the Utes often needed that game to carry any pride on their 4-7 season or to perhaps squeek out bowl eligibility. Thus it has always meant more to Utah fans/players. All those years of hate/jealousy from Utah fans, followed by their recent success and more hate does fan their own flames and has goated many BYU fans/players to raise the rivalry.

• Regrets
    Dec. 9, 2009 7:13 a.m.

I'm sure there are absolutely NO Utah fans who have said something in their lives that they regretted. So what do you want? A public Max Hall flogging (outside of this forum) so that he can be beaten, humiliated, castigated and then run out of town?

Move on. He admitted it was a mistake to have said it. The Utah fans who want to keep pounding? You are the ones he is talking about. Get real. You are classless, as he said. You are proving his comments to be true.

For the classy Utah fans, you have moved on as have Cougar fans. Let it be a rivalry, not a hate fest!

• Not enough
    Dec. 9, 2009 7:01 a.m.

Max cannot wish this away. He has escalated an already ugly war. Now HE is responsible for adding fuel to the fire. Not exactly what a good Christian should do. I thought "Love thy enemies," was something he believed in. Max has a lot to answer for.

Even worse, it's staggering to me that BYU has not apologized and taken action against him. Therefore they tacitly approve. What a black eye for a religious institution to promote hate.

• Monsieur le prof
    Dec. 9, 2009 6:36 a.m.

It must be sad to live with this much hate in one's heart...and over something as inconsequential as American football. Let it go... These remarks are worse than childish and are not worthy of reply.
    Max may or may not make it in the NFL, but he's a smart enough young man that he will do well.

• citizen16
    Dec. 9, 2009 6:03 a.m.

Is anyone surprised that most of the comments on here so far are from UofU fans?

Dec. 9, 2009 6:02 a.m.

"...Hall will begin preparing for what he hopes will be a career in the National Football League." Ha ha, that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Hall in the NFL, yeah right.

Dec. 9, 2009 5:50 a.m.

U say that Utah must be high on our list? Ur the one commenting on a byu article. I've never commented on a ute article so I think it's the other way around. It's too funny how people are so upset over his comments. So if I say I hate Utah will that make u mad too? When secretly it's over the fact that u lost? Get a life. Go byu Utah tcu afa and Wyoming in their bowl games! Let's make this a bcs conference!

• Cougarf@n
    Dec. 9, 2009 5:45 a.m.

• wow
    Dec. 9, 2009 4:19 a.m.

You Utah fans are a whiny melodramatic professionlly victimized bunch arent you

• Lets See
    Dec. 8, 2009 11:42 p.m.

Hall doesn't read this stuff but it sure bugged him for a year...even though he doesn't read it. WOW I'm so glad that the Cougars are proud that Max is 2-1 against the UTES. It must mean that the UTES are pretty important on the scale of BYU fans. Has to be..their 1-2 in Bowl Games with Max and none of them were outside Sam Boyd Stadium. Isn't that special :)

• Max better finish degree
    Dec. 8, 2009 11:40 p.m.

Better have a back up job. NFL doesn't look that promising.

• RE: JM
    Dec. 8, 2009 11:27 p.m.

• Amazing
    Dec. 8, 2009 11:14 p.m.

It's amazing how Max wants to move on so quickly after making a fool of himself, but couldn't move on after his family was allegedly abused a year ago at Rice Eccles.

Apparently, he's a lot more accepting of his own mistakes than the alleged mistakes of others. At least his mistake is documented.

• JM
    Dec. 8, 2009 10:33 p.m.

NFL? As what? Waterboy? PR Manager maybe? Certainly not a quarterback!

Oh how I wish BYU could find a loophole and Max could play one more year. I would drop $10000 for a ticket to see him play the Utes at RES next year. Plus who knows, maybe he could finally win something bigger than the Las Vegas bowl. Please Santa Claus (Obviously a Ute Fan), just one more year.

• Spencer