Utah Jazz: Miles as giddy as a kid at Christmas

• Fickle Fans
    Dec. 4, 2009 9:46 a.m.

It is truly amazing that so many fans think Matthews is the second coming. Let's see if he can keep up the pace. He is playing for his basketball life right now. He's only played in a few games compared to Miles and Korver. It's like the old apples and oranges bit. You can't put Matthews in the same league as Miles and Korver. A few dives on the floor and a couple of 3 pointers doesn't give Matthews the right to continue starting saying that he has earned a starting position. He's there out of default. Both CJ and Korver have earned alot more than Matthews at this point. How quickly Fans forget the charges taken and dives to the floor by other players.Matthews can make a good contribution to the Jazz team, but he's not going to replace Miles or Korver. Both Miles and Korver bring a dimension to the game that Matthews does not have. Let's not be blinded by all the rookie hustle.

• BP
    Dec. 4, 2009 12:42 a.m.

Hey look, Jazz Cop and CL are agreeing with each other on back-to-back posts...maybe it's another Deseret News Conspiracy! :-) LOL

--In all serenitude genteelmen, what I find more uncanny (... ironic, serendipitous, ???....not sure the right word here) is the fact that none of the "multiple alias conspiracy theorists" ever use a name. They title their posts with Re: or some random Question, etc. Maybe Irony is the best word to describe it after all. Yeah, that's it... that there is some good Irony fellers.
    (DISCLAIMER: I didn't actually go back through and read each entry to verify the factuality of my statements...that would be a way bigger waste of time than the last half-hour I've sucked out of my life typing this post. Rather, it is simply a semi-informed, albeit astute and savvy, observation by yours truly......I DO DECLARE--for you Office fans)

Anyhow, you conspiracy guys make this forum fun...wouldn't be the same without ya...Go Jazz v. Pacers manana noite! And Go... whoever is playing the Knicks this Weekend!

• BP
    Dec. 4, 2009 12:04 a.m.

Yes, it's the real BP...just signed back on to see if anyone responded to my 1 (singular) comment and was pleasantly surprised to see all the back and forth. Sounds like we need to flash our Social Security cards now to have validation on this forum. Unlike some of you, I only have time for a post once in a while, and I have NEVER posted with different aliases. One would have to care A LOT about being right, and have A LOT of time on their hands. That's not me, though I know it happens from time to time.

As evidence I'm not those other guys, I'm going to whole heartedly DISAGREE with CL's comment about Sloan's toughness negatively impacting CJ. I don't buy into that. He wouldn't still be here if he couldn't progress under Sloan. A tough-as-nails coach is exactly what a player like CJ needs. Also, what's your definition of step-it-up? In my view, you gotta give him more than 1 year. Unless he plays BIG minutes this year and shows NO improvement...doubtful that either will happen.

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 3, 2009 11:19 p.m.

@cl, I'm with you, it would be nice to see feztheb and miles play up to their 'potential', whatever that is, i think it's that we'd like to see them capitalize on that athletic ability.
    the good thing about cj is he's made progress, he's slowly headed in the right direction, he'll probably be better this year than last year, but if he is about as good as he was last year, you hope hes not disrupting the precious little chemistry the jazz found. Im with you cl, hopefully we do see miles playing and it's not because of injury or because he's sloans project, but because he's played his way into them.

• CL
    Dec. 3, 2009 10:07 p.m.

Re: Jazz Cop, you may be right, we'll just have to see how things pan out. Like I said, CJ's potential makes me hope he will step up and play to the level of some of the spurts he has shown,I'd like to see Sloan and the coaches try to be positive with CJ and bring his potential out of him, but if he doesn't, then he'll only be a role player whereever he ends up. I guess I'm hoping he will step up for the Jazz's sake, because they need it.
    I'm also hoping that they can get Fes to play to his potential, we'll have to wait and see about that too.

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:35 p.m.

the comment i left about slaon belongs with another article;

@cl those are some fantastic thoughts, probably the stuff dreams are made of. considering how long its taken cj to get to the point hes at, which isn't as far as wes, you have to question whether he'll get to the point of wes; before you can consider him being an allstar, go to guy, whatever, comeon!!

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:27 p.m.

that farm talk , may've been good with malone and stockton, but thinka bout it, boozer went to duke, williams is smart, all the international players on the team--and they get farm cliques? It's not like sloan is motivating the team, much, he doesn't realize the reason why he expects the players to do it themselves, because he can't with farm talk.

• Re: Re;BR,BP &now CL
    Dec. 3, 2009 6:20 p.m.

It would be nice to know who is frustrated with the comments of BR,BP & CL. Obviously who ever you are, it bothers you that there could be several fans who share the same opinion of CJ. This is CL writing at this time and I don't feel the same as Miles does about CJ, he thinks he is the best player on the team, I only think he has the potential to be the best. But like I said, I'm hopefull CJ can produce to the level I think he can. He is long, athletic, and has good skills. He shows signs of being that go to guy the Jazz need and someone who can help Williams in the crunch. So far in his career he has been a disapointment but I keep trying to stay positive and hope he can step up and play consistant. He is only 23 yrs old and Sloan hasn't really helped his developement with his negative reinforcement style with young players. I'm hoping getting older and maturing will help him step it up.
    If CJ doesn't step it up this year, he needs to be traded.

• Re: BR,BP&now CL
    Dec. 3, 2009 2:58 p.m.

You guys make remarkably similiar comments. Probably because you share the same head. LOL hahahaha

• Miles
    Dec. 3, 2009 2:57 p.m.

Houdini, comma man and 50 other posts by houdini: I know your Mamma loves Korver very much. But you are going to have to accept the fact that Korver is not going to play much this year.

Sorry RE Ranking Korver can play hard but his ability is limited on both ends of the court. He is gone after this year.

• Why the bother?
    Dec. 3, 2009 2:12 p.m.

I'm not really sure why so many people on this blog think that for CJ to get his minutes, Matthews has to lose his. CJ plays the 3-Matthews plays the 2. The odd man out (assuming that CJ plays well) is Brewer. With AK under Horny's wing, Brewer is the only person that scares me when he shoots outside of his jumping distance. Also-the Jazz didn't resign him- a pretty obvious sign that he hasn't reached his potential.

I watched CJ in the first few games and he was great. I think that the Jazz brass are throwing all their options towards Miles (and Matthews)

• Re: BR or BP
    Dec. 3, 2009 2:05 p.m.

I'm CL, I don't know who BR or BP are but I also agree with there comments. I like Mathews too and think he should stay as the starter(for now), but I also hope CJ steps up and plays to his potential because he has the higher upside and it will only make the Jazz better if he does step it up. Like I said CJ has frustrated me for a couple of yrs by not stepping up and it is problably being optimistic and hopefull to think he will. I think he can be the player the Jazz need to compliment Williams in crunch time and create for himself and others if he starts to play like he can. I don't think Williams and others would talk of CJ with high hopes and commments like the sky is the limit, if they hadn't seen what he can do. Here's hoping he has the determination and guts to step up.

• Umm ok
    Dec. 3, 2009 2:01 p.m.

Are you serious ??? What D on kobe??? You mean how we only managed to win one silly game last playoffs against them.

Kobe went 31 , 38 , 18 , 26 , and 24 as the lakers easily stepped over the Jazz for the series win.

Oh you talkin regular season ?? What about Jan 2 when he went off for 40 points? Or the one time we beat them on Feb. 11th and he scored 37 points??

• Know it alls
    Dec. 3, 2009 2:00 p.m.

Okay all you know it alls, how come you don't work for the Jazz organization if you know so much? I'll tell you why, because no one values your comments or opinions except for yourselves. Jerry Sloan is the master of deciding who will play when or what position and all he needs is his 23 years of experience to do it. He monitors the guys in practice and evaluates them on there habits and execution. The best player that can help the Jazz at any given situation will start or come off the bench. Right now team chemistry is working good and there is no need to fix what ain't broke! Just watch and enjoy cause when the Jazz are playing this good, there isn't anything I'd rather watch. Go Jazz!!!

• Brandon
    Dec. 3, 2009 1:57 p.m.

Haha did a guy up there just say that when Miles is hot he is worth 30 ppg? Oh my that is the funniest thing i have ever heard! Miles has scored over 20 points 5 times in his whole career!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 3, 2009 1:55 p.m.

We need better defenders! Matthews is the man! We have a dime a dozen scorers. CJ can back Matthews up!

• Re:BR or BP ??
    Dec. 3, 2009 1:15 p.m.

I'm B.R. I don't know who B.P. is, but I agree with his comments.

Like I said before I like both players alot and do not care who starts, as long as they both get plenty of time on the court. I have never bashed Wes Matthews (He's phenominal), or C.J. Miles for that matter.

• Re br and bp
    Dec. 3, 2009 1:05 p.m.

wow you really impress us all,maybe you should be coach

• Re:BR or BP ??
    Dec. 3, 2009 11:52 a.m.

What would be more manipulative then posting as somebody else and praising yourself for your own comments??

I have no bias I just want the Jazz to be good. Put the best guy out there. From what we have seen to this point from Miles is he is not up to the level Matthews is. Can he be ?? Maybe, only time will tell. But I think we all understand that he needs to earn his spot back.

• Korver
    Dec. 3, 2009 11:45 a.m.

played much better defense last year than miles,no he`s not as quick,but he`s a whole bunch smarter,miles basketball IQ is really low

• RE Ranking
    Dec. 3, 2009 11:41 a.m.

"what makes you want to put Korver in the mix"...how about the fact that he pretty much took all the quality minutes away from miles last year? did you follow the Jazz last year ? ,he`ll be back soon,is a regular who`ll get his minutes again,because he plays hard all the time...should I go on???

• Re CL
    Dec. 3, 2009 10:42 a.m.

a new one..."flashes of excellent play" here`s a flash for you and all the miles lovers,Matthews looks better on BOTH sides of the ball,simple,just watch the game

• CL
    Dec. 3, 2009 10:36 a.m.

Re: Ranking, What makes you want to put Korver in the mix? Korver is a good shooter and plays smart but is limited on D and on O. Mathews, CJ and Brewer play better D. CJ has to step up and play consistant, if he does he is ahead of Korver. I agree with the post that Korver is a good trade chip.
    Brewer needs to stay at the 3 with AK.

• bucksnort
    Dec. 3, 2009 10:33 a.m.

How many games does "potential" ever win???

Winning takes determination and mental toughness!

Figure it out!

• Re:BR
    Dec. 3, 2009 10:14 a.m.

BR, (I am sorry self professed Master of the Universe) , guess you get ugly when people disagree with you. Sorry you feel you need to go there.

• Ranking
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:55 a.m.

The 2/3 spots as of now SG-Matthews,Korver(when back)Brewer,Miles,SF-Brewer,AK,Miles

• CL
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:49 a.m.

continued, CJ, if he will, can be the help Williams needs in critical times to go get a shot and create.
    Step up CJ. Here's also hoping Fes gets more time and developes. He could really help. His D and size make a difference and if he will slow down on Offense(he seems to rush and hurry things) he can be at least OK on that end of the floor.

• RE Smeekee
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:44 a.m.

miles aveaged about 9 points last year,not 16

• CL
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:39 a.m.

Amen to comments by BP & BR, CJ has the most potential of anyone on the Jazz team, but he has only shown flashes of that potential. Hopefully Mathews presence, his D and hustle, along with CJ maturing will motivate CJ to play up to that potential. I have been real frustrated with CJ and his play for the last couple of years because he doesn't play hard and tough, enough of the time. In those flashes of excellent play CJ shows he can play to the level of an all star, but he has yet to show any consistency. The ball is in CJ's court, it is up to him to whow what he has. Mathews is showing he can be a vital part of the Jazz, he doesn't look as good as CJ offensively but his is producing and his D is awesome. He should remain starting until CJ proves he deserves to bump him from that spot. I think Mathews and CJ should get the 2 minutes (Williams some), with Brewer & AK at the 3. Lets hope CJ ups his game and starts producing to the level some of us think he can.

• Dr Luv
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:31 a.m.

Basketball is still played on both ends of the floor. Sports Center and most of you do not realize this. Phil Johnson & Scott Layden do.....thank goodness they are in a position of influence instead of some of you. This is why Wesley Matthews will not be sitting on the bench! If you do not understand what I have just posted, please have someone who understands the game explain it to you.

• blauch
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:25 a.m.

Matthews strength is his ability to stay between him and the defender. He is so deft at sliding over and taking a charge - for example in the last game - it was a 3 on 3 fast break and he slid over at the free throw line and took the charge. I hate that call personally but I loved that it was us doing it not the opponent. If you are going to have Okur and Boozer as your 2 big guys - you need to defensive minded wing players who does not allow opponents in the paint - you don't need some who has the ability to score 30 points - just a defender who can hit the open 3 pointer on the corner.

On Defensive - the Jazz this season have done a lot better - Okur attempted to take 3 charges last game. (Boozer 1 this season)

The Jazz are going to have to figure how to play the defensive player Matthews, Fess, Millsap and Brewer with the offensive players - Okur, Boozer, Miles, Korver. Williams, AK, and now Maynor are clearly the play maker. You will notice that Sloan will always have either Williams or AK in the game.

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:20 a.m.

Cj has improved with playing time, so hes tried to develop his game, but its been slow; obviously, if cj missed something by not going to college hes going to have to fill that in, now, the jazz have 3 more years to find out. In the meantime, the role seems to have been filled, the wes from marquette has done what we need fromthe position, wes filledthe role and i think the job is his.
    it was too bad for cj he got injured, because he could've rounded out his game more in the summer, unfortunately, thats all we have to compare him to wes, each year is new, i don't really care who plays, as long as they fill the role.

• Miles
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:11 a.m.

Do any of you consider that Brewer may end up being the odd man out? It would be Matthews and CJ at the 2 and 3.

• B.R.
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:04 a.m.

@ Miles, Rich, scodyshootfight, D.R., B.P., Tough crowd, Time will tell. Enjoyed your intelligent, informative, unbiased, comments. They are very refreshing compared to the manipulative type comments we see on here. ( mostly by the same person )

• Sneaky Jimmy
    Dec. 3, 2009 9:02 a.m.

Miles has never scored 30. His best game was 29.
    He averaged 16 a game last year.

• Hollywood
    Dec. 3, 2009 8:49 a.m.

Great comments by CJ re: chemistry. And CJ was the starting SF last season over AK, not the SG.

Matthews needs to start. He plays tough "D" and doesn't require/demand touches. That's why his scoring is up and down. Look at the last game - only 7 shots. Wesley does the dirty work while the offense goes through Boozer, Deron, Memo and Ronnie B. Jazz need "D" not more offense from their starters.

IMO, CJ should come off the bench, getting 10-15 mins initially. But with AK out, he'll have to play more. I still like DWill and Maynor playing some together (and so does Deron).

Here's the way I see it once AK returns:

PG - DWill (28); Maynor (20)
    SG - Matthews (20); DWill (8); CJ (20)
    PF - Boozer (28); *Millsap (20)
    C - Okur (30); *Fess (10); *Boozer (8)
    SF - Brewer (24); AK (24)

*Against teams with smaller centers, Fess sits, Boozer gets all the backup mins at the 5 and Millsap's PT increases.

CJ needs to impress before he starts taking away mins. from Matthews. You can also cut Maynor back a bit to give more mins. to CJ and Wesley.

• Phnehme
    Dec. 3, 2009 8:40 a.m.

CJ has not started a game this year, so I don't see it has losing his job due to injury. Players earn their spots every year. Also, CJ has never been a good defensive player. Was that supposed to magically change this year? Mathews has earned his spot and his playing time. The one good thing about CJ being back is, the Jazz are instantly more athletic. With the emergence of Mathews, and Maynor finally we can match up with other athletic teams.

• B.R.
    Dec. 3, 2009 8:38 a.m.

Looks like houdini is all over this board today.

With me it's not either or. I've liked C.J. from the get go. C.J. got a bad rap because Sloan had him stand out on the 3 point line as a decoy and people who were not aware of that took it as laziness. C. J. can flat out play and I'm sure you haters will see that.If you don't believe he can play defense, watch or you can ask Koby. I also am extremely impressed with Matthews. I am not obsessed with bashing Matthews because I am not insecure with C.J.'s game. He can play. So can Matthews. I believe they could be one of the best two guard tandums in the league.I WANT THEM BOTH TO PLAY AND I DON"T CARE WHICH ONE STARTS. They are both ballers.

• DR
    Dec. 3, 2009 7:44 a.m.

C J Is a much better shooter than Brewer. He will be the one that takes a hit in minutes. Matthews defense has been the reason the Jazz have improved. D-Will better get use to playing the two headed point game, because that has also been a catalyst for this team. AK is hurting, and so is Millsap. I think they will take a small hit in minutes too. Price is the other defensive minded player that could help in spots. Korver is the guy that could be trade bait, he is on the last year of a contract, and if he comes back strong, he could be a nice piece for a contender. If fact we are going to loose Boozer and Korver, so trade em while they are here.

• scodyshootfight (KC)
    Dec. 3, 2009 7:32 a.m.

Very mature comments by CJ. His D will be the key to whether or not he gets any minutes.

• Re: BP
    Dec. 3, 2009 7:04 a.m.

I respect your opinion , but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I guess we can all admit he is not there yet.

So why overlook his failure to take the opportunities to get better?? Like refusing to play in the Jazz summer league. Oh that was a business decision ?? Shows where his priorities were... Gettin paid not getting played....

What good is being longer and taller if you do not know how to use it?? Would you like me to list the countless failed NBA players that had the tools but never learned to how to harness them??

The bottom line for me is what gives Matthews and edge on potential over CJ is his Intelligence and Personal Drive. He holds himself to a very high standard. He has those intangibles that you cannot teach. Miles is the perfect example of that...

• Dr Jazz
    Dec. 2, 2009 10:35 p.m.

• BP
    Dec. 2, 2009 10:25 p.m.

You may have watched 2 years worth of games, but that hardly qualifies you on the matter. I haven't missed more than a couple games per season for nearly 15 years. That said, I don't even think I'm qualified to judge these players.

But I think you are wrong on a couple things:

First, you are right that CJ is yet to make a "consistent" impact night in night out.

At the same time, I think you are flat-out up in the night to suggest Matthews has more upside than CJ. CJ is taller, longer wingspan, has more talent offensively by far. He needs to grow into his body, and he needs to be more consistent on D, but he's 6 + years away from when most players peak. And he was the only wing we had last year to play tough D on Kobe...actually made him work and helped us win 2 games.

All that being said, I love Matthews and would definetely keep starting him since he's already grown into his body and plays tough D. But he has a ceiling. He's like Milsap, Wont be Allstar. CJ maybe.

• ToughCrowd
    Dec. 2, 2009 10:12 p.m.

Welcome back CJ!!! Looking forward to watching you play! I'm sure your team mates are very excited to have you back as are the true fans of the Jazz and basketball. Don't let any haters, know-it-alls, and wannabes discourage you. They don't have anything better to do than complain about everything and everyone while sitting on their butts.

Go Jazz!!!

• Gazelle
    Dec. 2, 2009 9:38 p.m.

I am a die hard fan, I watch every game, I think I have only missed a handful of games over the last couple years, and I still cannot figure out what is all the hoopla surrounding CJ.

I mean please somebody fill me in on these amazing things he has done for the Jazz since he has been here because I do not see it.

CJ Miles has never made an impact on the game like Matthews does every night out.

From what I see in front of me , Matthews stands to improve more then CJ. I mean look at how much the guy improved since the summer league. This is really a no-brainer.

• Matthews all the way !!!!
    Dec. 2, 2009 8:54 p.m.

I agree with the earlier post about being so sick of talking about potential. Matthews plays the game the way we hope not only CJ would but everyone else on the team should play. Even thinking of taking matthews out now would be a major mistake. I am glad you guys do not run the team.

CJ is young , but at the same time he is not the only person to go from highschool to the NBA. Four years and we continue to wait. He might have talked about having a good summer , but until that translates into something on the court , thats all it is is talk.

Bottom line give Matthews that credit he deserves !!
    He has more then earned it !!!!

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 2, 2009 8:06 p.m.

I've watched miles closely the last couple years, especially last year when he got regular minutes, which, unfortunately, he never made the most of, unlike wes from marquette, who has stepped up and into the role.
    Miles has a high ceiling, but i agree, i'm tired of talking about potential;
    but like other people said, if miles is going to play alot, maybe start, hopefully its not because 'he had a starting job', but because he outplayed the other people at his position; miles started last year, but korver was the better player and didn't start.

• Rich
    Dec. 2, 2009 6:39 p.m.

Remember, Jazz fans, Miles is still young. He would be a rookie if he had gone to college. And he probably would be a better basketball player in many respects had he gone to a power school such as Duke or played for a local quality coach, such as Stu Morrill or Dave Rose. And one thing he would have learned from a good coach is toughness and defense. He's slowly picking up those characteristics as a Jazzman, but he's not nearly as tough or defense-oriented as Matthews, who is the big surprise of the season in the entire NBA. Still, Miles is, pardon the pun, miles ahead of where he was in '05 and '06 and even '07. He now can be counted on to shoot well under pressure and to make good basketball decisions. He's an asset to the team and will only get better. O'Connor: Congratulations, you stole another great player in Matthews after everybody else passed on him! Wow. I'm sure that someday he'll be generating the same kind of talk that Milsap gets.

• Time will tell
    Dec. 2, 2009 6:28 p.m.

CJ still should have a chance to prove himself. As someone else noted he is younger than Mattews and has bulked up this year. But he is still a question mark. I hope Jerry continues start Mattews and bring CJ off the bench and work up his minutes slowly. Than he can be evaluated to see who is better. The big question mark is what to do with the minutes when Korver is also back. What are the odds that the Jazz can have four (If you also count AK) healthly 3's at the same time. Not enough minutes for all of them even with some of them playing at the 2.

• Miles....30 points???
    Dec. 2, 2009 4:54 p.m.

refresh our memories....when has Miles ever scored 30 or more???? the only person who was talking about "how good CJ looks" in preseason was you,miles,yes maybe you should give it up,he`s worthless

• Andy
    Dec. 2, 2009 4:53 p.m.

I've given up on CJ. Nice guy, but soft and inconsistent. I'm really worried about chemistry as these guys come back from injuries.

• Jazz-Fan
    Dec. 2, 2009 4:46 p.m.

I like Matthews better than Miles

• todd from santa ana
    Dec. 2, 2009 4:18 p.m.

hee hee

More of Matthews
    Up to Cj to outplay him

I ask "Jer" not to just hand him his job back

• DrGreedo
    Dec. 2, 2009 4:15 p.m.

By the good fortune of injury, the Jazz have managed to put together the best team they've had in years - primarily because they play together as a team. I like CJ and he can be a decent outside shooter, which is a great help for spreading the floor, and he can move inside for some dunks. But he's inconsistent, only an OK defender, and looks more often for the shot rather than the pass.

Matthews has added defense and hustle, which has helped to energize the entire team (when did you ever see Memo dive on the floor like last game)? But more than that, like another poster said, he's a great team player. He doesn't score as much as some others because he's always looking for the pass. He actually got five assists last game - which is probably more than CJ ever got in a game. That makes the Jazz better all around.

Besides, CJ needs time. Brewer is doing great at 3 - leave him there. Back him up with AK and CJ. Back Matthews up with Korver (when he's back) and DWill, with Mayor at point. Solid team off the bench.

• @Miles
    Dec. 2, 2009 4:12 p.m.

Cj is not going to lose his starting job because of an injury. He is going to lose it because Mattews is the best 2 we have ever had on the Jazz! Watch his defense.

• Miles > Matthews
    Dec. 2, 2009 4:09 p.m.

To Blauch and the person who replied to me:

I like Matthew's defense and his ability to get to the free throw line. I think he still struggles in the offense though (I didn't see the last 2 games though)

I wouldn't call Matthews a "consistent" scorer yet. When Matthews has a good game he scores 15 or 16 points, when CJ Miles is hot he scores almost 30ppg. I think Miles has the ability to someday score 20ppg (for some reason I'm still hopeful... maybe I should have given up on him like everyone else)

Just remember that in training camp everyone was talking about how good CJ Miles looked. Unfortunately he hasn't gotten the chance to show us how much he improved. I'm hoping he'll turn some heads.
    I really thought Matthews would be going to the Flash when KK and CJ got back. But he has done really well, I hope he continues to progress. But I'm still thinking CJ Miles is gonna surpass him (and play decent/good defense)

• Just Me
    Dec. 2, 2009 3:42 p.m.

Miles should not be starting. Matthews is doing great. Miles should be traded or at the end of the bench for garbage time

• It will take Miles a couple of
    Dec. 2, 2009 3:26 p.m.

weeks to get to full strength. He is very good defensively sometimes and very good shooting sometimes.

I suspect that there are match ups where Miles would be best and also ones where Mathews would be best. I hope Sloan plays match ups and gets rid of his "set by the stop watch" rotations. If a player is playing well let him stay in. The depth is really important on back to backs and against running teams.

I don't care who plays or how much, as long as it results in a W.

Many players play better over the course of a season with a routine. However, the Jazz need to treat every game like a playoff game and win every game they can.

The Vets are comfortable to Mathews at this point, they have played with CJ for years. Sloan can mix and match.

Just keep the Ws coming.

The Jazz move ahead of POR if they win this one and are gaining on DEN.

• Miles
    Dec. 2, 2009 2:58 p.m.

@Blauch: Thanks for the update. With AK out that leaves 44 minutes a game for CJ. I am sure he will be happy with that!

@Miles (comma man, houdini) Read my post before you post. I said that Matthews would be playing 20 minutes, not 5 - 10. Now you look like a fool.

• akk
    Dec. 2, 2009 2:40 p.m.

Matthews is a better team player than Miles. Maynor and Williams is a better backcourt than Williams and Miles. I hope that Sloan sticks with a rotation that has been working. Miles didn't lose his starting job because he got hurt... He's lost it because he hasn't been very good.

• A little help
    Dec. 2, 2009 2:19 p.m.

Here is Jerrys statement:

"Coach Jerry Sloan said he'll have to evaluate how Miles looks in practice before deciding whether or not to reinsert him in the starting lineup over rookie Wesley Matthews, who's started the past nine games. Sloan hinted that he isn't necessarily inclined to make changes to the starting five, though."

Take a seat Miles.

"CJ should not lose his starting job due to injury,he`s our starting 2,Matthews can back him up,5-10 minutes per outing"

Great point if we want no defense and no rebounds from the 2 position.

Miles won't be losing his spot due to injury. He will be losing it to a better all around player.

If Miles can come back and somehow prove that he can play better than Matthews then he can have the spot, otherwise?

We are tired of hearing about "potential" we would much rather watch actual performance and results as we have seen with Matthews.

How is it you justify benching THE TEAMS BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER?

Only you Miles would think that would make sense.

Your judgement is impaired as your rebounding.

• Good Comments
    Dec. 2, 2009 2:15 p.m.

Good comments Blauch...I agree 100%. Miles needs a chance to show off his off-season work, but he's really got his work cut out for him to beat out Matthews. Matthews is great - he's got the grit we need.

• Blauch
    Dec. 2, 2009 1:20 p.m.

Miles is not better than Matthews

Matthews shoots a better FG% and 3p% He also gets to the line at a higher percentage

He is a much better defensive player. I have seen Matthews take more charges this season than I did all last year.

He complements Boozer, Okur, Williams, and Brewer much better than Miles.

Miles your numbers do not add up.

Matthews plays 20 minutes a games
    AK plays 34
    Brewer 34

That leave 10 minutes to Miles.

• Miles
    Dec. 2, 2009 1:08 p.m.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2009 1:07 p.m.

To Miles > Matthews: Matthews is the best defender on the team, according to the team itself, plus he's a reliable scorer when needed. Miles is not a lock-down defender like Matthews nor is he a consistent scorer--so I'd say Matthews is the better player.

This is what four years of college ball can do for you, versus zero for CJ. Plus, Matthews is actually older than CJ, believe it or not (by about a year), and it shows in a positive way.

• Miles > Matthews
    Dec. 2, 2009 12:56 p.m.

Matthews is doing well, but Miles is better. Plus he put on a bunch of muscle over the summer. I'm really excited for his comeback. I don't expect it to be slow (it will be a couple of weeks before he is consistently doing well) but he could be huge this year!

• Miles
    Dec. 2, 2009 12:53 p.m.

If I were Jerry I would not play him for another week. There is no way he is ready to play after being out for two months.

@ CJ Miles; As far as being the fourth guy off the bench, whatever. First off Millsap is not a 3. Did you forget that Matthews only plays about 20 minutes a game? So I am sure that CJ would be happy getting the other 28 minutes. Great Idea. Thanks for bringing it up Houdini!! Your intelligence is starting to shine forth.

• i bet CJ is excited...
    Dec. 2, 2009 12:47 p.m.

he's watching Matthews tear it up. Look for CJ to be traded before the deadline.

Matthews and Maynor two complete studs.

• CJ Miles
    Dec. 2, 2009 12:04 p.m.

should be the fourth guy off the bench at the 3 spot,Brewer,AK and Millsap should get most of the minutes there,maybe he can pick-up a couple minutes a game at the 2 backing up Matthews

• Joe Wilson
    Dec. 2, 2009 11:58 a.m.

I am glad the Jazz let Maynor go back to VA to he honored by VCU.
    I am not sure Jerry would have let that fly 5 years ago.