Sports

Utah Jazz: Win 6th in 7 games as Brewer leads team with 25 points

Comments

• Old Jazz Fan
    Dec. 2, 2009 12:19 a.m.

I'm getting excited for the next game. Fes and the rookies have rejuvinated my interest in the Jazz. If Boozer keeps playing like he is we might want to keep him around at least until the deadline.

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 1, 2009 11:55 p.m.

Just get feztheb more minutes.

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 1, 2009 11:47 p.m.

Okurs not that bad when he isn't tired, or trying to save his energy; its just another good reason for fesenko to get more minutes; especially if the jazz are going to run alot.

• POR Lost @ home to Miama
    Dec. 1, 2009 10:38 p.m.

The Jazz move into 2nd place in the NW with a win.

Okur will get his game back pretty soon. With Boozer so hot, he is getting a lot of the passes that would go to Okur. Over the course of a season Okur scores well and rebounds well.

• NevAda fan
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Hey back off cowboy he has a right to say what he feels this a jazz fan blog. I agree okur is soft at defense and his shots are not falling. Wishing we had kaman. Go jazz

• D'antoni
    Dec. 1, 2009 8:55 p.m.

knows how to beat PHO. The Jazz should study the game film from PHO/NY. They should be able to beat PHO as NY beat them by 25.

• BP
    Dec. 1, 2009 6:26 p.m.

TO AGGIE MAN: BRILLIANT LINEUPS

I've been saying for 2 years now that our problem lies in playing Booz and Memo together. If it's just one of them on the floor, we can usually make up for their bad defense. When on the floor at the same time, they are the BLACK HOLE. Though I must say with Booz' improved defense this year, I'm becoming a believer. He is active. I always knew he could play defense if he wanted to, because he has the body, quickness to do it. Memo doesn't have the body or the quickness to ever be a great defender.

• Brewer
    Dec. 1, 2009 5:22 p.m.

Big part of jazz future,he`ll sign for a reasonable salary,he`s more valuable to the Jazz than Miles,he`s the one we should trade or waive

• Salary Problems
    Dec. 1, 2009 4:22 p.m.

are primarily Millers'. As a fan I am heartened by the Miller family's willingness to go over the cap. They seem to be serious about getting enough resources. I like the committment on thier part.

Many of the weaknesses of the Jazz are starting to get fixed by young players instead of trades.

Maynor is becoming the back up PG that the Jazz sorely needed. DWill can play 2 some of the time and fix the shooting 2. Mathews is a defensive 2 who can shoot. Brewer can play 3. CJ can shoot and play defense on occasion. Korver is a shooting specialist. AK is a D specialist. The Jazz have 2/3 covered well with a lot of depth.

Fez gives another approach to the C and changes the inside game that compliments Okurs outside approach.

Boozer is playing well, Millsap is versatile.

The D grading system is great.

The Jazz have yet to demonstrate they can stop the PHO fast break or the LA front line.

Sloan needs a plan for both PHO and LA. Then the Jazz are contenders. If he can devise a way to defend PHO and LA the Jazz are real.

• Kirilenko
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:56 p.m.

" I will brreakk you."

Did he mean finacially?

• The Ultimate Jazz Fan
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:26 p.m.

Playoffs? We're talking about playoffs? Playoffs?

• Jazz Cop
    Dec. 1, 2009 3:17 p.m.

Its not memos fault that he's not a good defender, defense is so basic, he's not to be blamed for being bad at the basics? If its a basic flaw, all that can be done is to put effort into it.

• 2cans
    Dec. 1, 2009 2:35 p.m.

Cowboy joe"s comments on memo are spot on. Bad defender poor rebounder, and cannot clog up the paint, yes he can hit the open three . but come playoffs they will guard him out there. I say trade him and korver and ak now!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2009 2:09 p.m.

The Jazz have only beat two teams with winning records...the Spurs and Portland. Their seven losses have all come against teams with winning records.

• Miles
    Dec. 1, 2009 1:33 p.m.

Cowboy Joe: I agree that Paul is the better player. But I think Dwill is a better fit for the Jazz. I don't think CP3 would be able to play for Jerry.

Now let's hope that KOC doesn't sign Brewer to some crazy contract. We need to spend our money on elite players and surround them with role players. stop paying 6-8 million for role players. That is crazy. Memo and Millsap are fine examples. Same as Harpring and Korver.

• Jazz Woman
    Dec. 1, 2009 1:30 p.m.

Re: Cowboy Joe

Why are you on this message board? You are not a Jazz fan if you think Paul is better than Williams. Williams has outperformed Paul every time they have gone head to head. Why don't you go join a Hornets board. Then you can talk trash all you want about the Jazz.

Go Jazz!

• Aggie Man
    Dec. 1, 2009 12:45 p.m.

D Will / Maynor
    Matthews / Miles
    Brewer / Kirilenko
    Boozer / Milsap
    Fesenko / Okur

Plenty of scoring on and off the bench. Defense on and off the bench. No boozer and Okur on the floor at the same time.

• Cowboy Joe
    Dec. 1, 2009 12:15 p.m.

First off I have been a Boozer supporter all along. Boozer is top 3-5PF. Second Okur is not a bad player, but to sign him to an extension when the salary cap is going to be down was a mistake. Okur could have been signed for the MLE is they were patient.
    Third I still think CP3 is better than DWILL. DWILL is a great player maybe an all star, but CP3 is a top player in the league.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2009 11:17 a.m.

Re: Fuss

The Jazz already beat San Antonio twice. Once in Utah and once in San Antonio.

• @Whats The Fuss About?
    Dec. 1, 2009 10:54 a.m.

In case you haven't noticed we have already beat San Antonio twice this year. Also its not just this win that people are excited about, its the fact that we've won 6 of 7 and have shown defensive improvement and improvement on the road.... so i think its okay to start getting a little bit excited even if its short lived.

• re: The Fuss?
    Dec. 1, 2009 10:41 a.m.

The good thing about beating a bad team, missing players or not, isn't just that we beat a bad team... It's the fact that we blew them away and din't look back. The Jazz have a habit of either playing down to their opponents, or getting a 20 point lead early and having it vanish midway through the third quarter. It was nice to see that killer instinct last night. Yeah, Memphis isn't good, but those are exactly the games the Jazz always have a hard time winning. Kudos to the Jazz. True team effort. If they keep sharing the ball, getting everyone involved, and hustling on d, they're going to be very hard to beat down the stretch.

• re Cowboy Jow
    Dec. 1, 2009 10:05 a.m.

regarding Okur "I don't know why KOC signed him to an extension."

Probably because he is one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA maybe?

Because he has hit several clutch shots to help the Jazz win?

Probably because big men are at a HUGE premium in the NBA?

Shall I go on?

Sure he is soft and is not a great defender but he does alot of things OK and does some things VERY well.

Big men that are complete are so few and far between. Look around the league...how many Centers are better than Okur? Sure there are several but are any of them AVAILABLE?

Now you hopefully understand...if you don't you should probably stick to being a cowboy and less of a jazz analyst.

• Miles
    Dec. 1, 2009 10:01 a.m.

Memphis is horrible. About time the Jazz stomped a horrible team instead of letting them hang around.

@Cowboy Joe: Okur seems to be doing as little as possible to keep his starting job. I fear that when Boozer walks at the end of the year the KOC will mess things up by thinking that Millsap can handle the job.

I still think we need to find a legit 3.

AK does not really fit in with this team. I am shocked how well he plays considering how he is an outcast in Jerry's system.

You have to hand it to Maynor and Matthews on how well they are both playing.

CJ had better step up or he will be riding pine.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:58 a.m.

I think Loche is coming into his own! At first I did not like his presentation either but to his credit he is getting a lot better and I like how he envolves everyone. Truly he has become the 'Deron Williams' of broadcasting. Give the guy a break! He is doing a good job.
    Side note:
    Oh man, Oh man, "How 'bout them Jazz! Also Okur is a very underrated guy and when he is full strenth everyone will remember why we need him later in the season.

• Doug
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:49 a.m.

The Jazz are enjoying their recent ability to contend with other teams. Makes for great entertainment.

There seems to be less Boozer bashing, glad we are rid of those folks, hope they enjoy their time at home.

Great to see Fez get some playing time, he may yet surprise us and become a viable center.

Sloan seems to be making the most out of his shortend rotations and it seems to be confusing our opponents. Keep it up.

• Re cowboy
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:42 a.m.

last week you were bashing Boozer and Williams,the week before that it was Brewer,now Memo has an off game and you bash him, why don`t you go stack some hay

• plyxply
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:41 a.m.

I have to agree about Locke, I really hoped he would understand the game isn't about him, he isn't making us love the Jazz more because of his call. It's had the opposite effect on me, I cannot listen anymore in the car except in spurts. I hope the Jazz front office people are smart enough to realize their mistake and will turn it over to Klauke like they should've done initially. Locke is ok for his radio show, but he really is painful to listen announce games.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:38 a.m.

boone is senseless as well.

• jazz man 98
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:37 a.m.

64,000 dollar question. How will the return of CJ and Korver affect the chemistry?

• Jazz-Fan
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:28 a.m.

I do not like locke at all,He sounds like his nose is plugged, he is hard to understand.

• B.R.
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:24 a.m.

With the emergence of Fes out of the D League it is looking more and more like the Okur extension was a mistake, at least for that much money. Okur's lack of defense is being exposed right now. Okur and Korver are basically three ball shooters for when situations require. We have better options at their positions when it comes to playing both offense and defense.

• @Cowboy
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:22 a.m.

usually I agree with you and I do think they gave Okur to much. However, Okur is more of a specialist C. So is Fez. They are extremes and both match up well in certain situations.

Okur does try on defense much of the time but he is not fast or quick but he has improved his inside game and is still a very respected outside threat.

Okur and Fez give the Jazz 2 very different approaches to opposing teams. That versatility is putting up Ws. As Fez gets better the Jazz W % will go up. If necessary Okur can move to PF with Fez at C. That would only be an advantage for PFs that Boozer/Millsap are to short to guard. Z Bo probably was an example and he was not that much of a problem.

The Jazz need someone who can guard Gasol/Odom.

• JazzMaTazz
    Dec. 1, 2009 9:11 a.m.

What an amazing job Coach Sloan does with the talent he is given each year.

• Whats The Fuss About?
    Dec. 1, 2009 8:16 a.m.

The Jazz beat a bad team missing 2 of it's starters in Conley & Foye, so what kind of a big deal is that? Wait until the Fakers & San Antonio come calling shortly, then grade them.

• Cowboy Joe
    Dec. 1, 2009 6:11 a.m.

Okur is the worst Jazz player making big money. He always looks like he is going to cry when someone touches him. I don't know why KOC signed him to an extension.

The Jazz should have used Okur's money to resign Boozer. The Jazz best line up is

PG. DWILL, Maynor
    SG: Mathews, Brewer
    SF: Brewer Kirilenko
    PF Boozer Millsap
    C Fes, Boozer

Fes is playing great, when Boozer is paired with Fes great things have been happening.

• Locke Suckes
    Dec. 1, 2009 5:41 a.m.

His voice is TERRIBLE. I cannot stand to listen to him. The play by play is pathetic and all the useless stats don't make up for anything.

• jbra80
    Dec. 1, 2009 12:42 a.m.

You usually are, but hey i'm all for bashing a guy who just isn't any good. From the catch phrases, his voice, and the fact you are left clueless as to what is going on in the game (score, possession, where ball is on the floor). It's just unbearable, but he is the only option i have in the car. I could understand him though. I tuned in long enough to hear him talk with David James about how he didn't realize Deron was a good shooter, made for great radio. I just hope he doesn't last as long as Hot Rod.

• Locke has
    Dec. 1, 2009 12:30 a.m.

LOCKE JAW. NO I CAN NOT UNDERSRTAND HIM EITHER.

• todd to jbra
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:51 p.m.

could you understand Dave Locke any more than my mom does and she is not even a basketball fan?

I thought we were being too "negative" jbra......

• jbra80
    Nov. 30, 2009 11:46 p.m.

I missed the game, actually i heard a little bit of Locke on the radio (man he's awful), but i'm impressed with the box score. I know it's only Memphis, but we have a habit of playing to our opponent, so finishing off a team like this is nice. Things are starting to come around, hopefully we can keep this positive momentum going.