Sports

Brad Rock: Wayne Howard made the Utah-BYU rivalry a rivalry

Comments

• BYA vs U
    Nov. 26, 2009 12:59 p.m.

sorry, BYA leads the BYA-U series 3-2

Utah counts a spring scrimmage played in April as a real game; whoever heard of a real game being played in April?

BYU vs Utah

bottom line:

since BYU and Utah joined a conference that still exists today, the WAC, and BYU's administration decided to field a college team instead of a club team

BYU leads the series 28-19

Utah 4

National individual awards
    BYU 15
    Utah 0

• Part 1 BYU Selective Memories
    Nov. 25, 2009 8:50 p.m.

After reading "Stirred up a hornets' nest, posted at 12:21 p.m., where he refers to the Utah-BYU rivalry but only goes back to 1978, I thought I'd better help him out to give a more complete perspective of the teams and who has dominated the most.

1896-1898 BYU and Utah each won 3 games apiece

The series then took a break until 1922.

1922 Utah 49 BYU 0
    1923 Utah 15 BYU 0
    1924 Utah 35 BYU 6
    1925 Utah 27 BYU 0
    1926 Utah 40 BYU 7
    1927 Utah 20 BYU 0 (Utah has outscored BYU
    186 to 13 in the last 6 games)
    1928 Utah 0 BYU 0 (BYU actually plays Utah to a

To be continued...

• Part 3 BYU Selective Memories
    Nov. 25, 2009 8:27 p.m.

1962 Utah 35 BYU 20
    1963 Utah 15 BYU 6
    1964 Utah 47 BYU 13 (Utah now leads in
    the overall series 37-5 with 4 ties)
    1965 Utah 20 BYU 25
    1966 Utah 13 BYU 35
    1967 Utah 13 BYU 17 (BYU has a 3 game
    win streak for the first time in 70 years)
    1968 Utah 30 BYU 21
    1969 Utah 16 BYU 6
    1970 Utah 14 BYU 13
    1971 Utah 17 BYU 15 (Utah leads BYU in the series 41-8)
    1972 Utah 7 BYU 16
    1973 Utah 22 BYU 46
    1974 Utah 20 BYU 48
    1975 Utah 20 BYU 51
    1976 Utah 12 BYU 34
    1977 Utah 8 BYU 38

At this point Utah holds a 41-14 overall lead in the rivalry series. I will end there, since that is where the poster named "Stirred up a hornets' nest," posted at 12:21 p.m., began his post.

Just one last comment to the BYU fans who constantly come on and point out how one-sided the rivalry has been for BYU. The rivalry has indeed been one-sided---in favor of the Utes. (Overall 53-33-4)

• Part 2 BYU Selective Memories
    Nov. 25, 2009 8:17 p.m.

1937 Utah 14 BYU 0 (Utah has beaten BYU
    9 straight games by a combined 279-26!)
    1938 Utah and BYU tie 7-7
    1939 Utah 35 BYU 13
    1940 Utah 12 BYU 6
    1941 Utah and BYU tie 6-6
    1942 Utah 7 BYU 12 (BYU wins for the first
    time in 45 years!)
    1946 Utah 35 BYU 6 (Utah defeats BYU by 29
    in the first game after World War II)
    1947 Utah 28 BYU 6
    1948 Utah 30 BYU 0
    1949 Utah 38 BYU 0
    1950 Utah and BYU tie 28-28
    1951 Utah 7 BYU 6
    1952 Utah 34 BYU 6
    1953 Utah 33 BYU 32 (BYU actually celebrates
    only losing to Utah by 1 point by carrying
    off the coach on the shoulders of his BYU
    players.)
    1954 Utah 12 BYU 7
    1955 Utah 41 BYU 9
    1956 Utah 41 BYU 6
    1957 Utah 27 BYU 0 (From 1946-57 Utah
    has outscored BYU 314 to 106)
    1958 Utah 6 BYU 41 (BYU wins outright
    for the first time in 17 years)
    1959 Utah 20 BYU 8
    1960 Utah 17 BYU 0
    1961 Utah 21 BYU 20

To be continued again...

• FL UTE
    Nov. 25, 2009 6:50 p.m.

1978, 23-22 UTES over Cougars on an icy late Nov day in Rice Stadium.

I was a freshman, and took my best buddy from high school (who just happened to be a Cougar!) and sat in the U student section.

The game was as hard-hitting, emotional, and back-and-forth as any I've ever seen before or since. When the Y's wonderkind QB Marc Wilson got injured, LaVell brought in the Frosh MacMahon, and the U's defense held.

We were as loud as we could be, and I did not have a voice for a week, but that victory was as sweet as it gets because it was such an upset over a highly rated (and seemingly arrogant) archenemy.

Prognistication for This year:
    Utah by 5, 31-26

• Go Cougars
    Nov. 25, 2009 6:31 p.m.

I now live at about 10K feet elevation in the Breckenridge Colorado area - yesterday I went to store and there were 6 boys/men with US Air force football hoodies on - 3 of them played USAF football. I asked them how they were calling the Ute/Cougar game - they all said that BYU should kick the Ute's butts. They also said that they should have beaten Utah & TCU — but not BYU.
    In the 1980's I went to a BYU/Utah football game in SLC and we had beer thrown on us. I have been to lots of football games - at different stadiums for high-school, college & pro football and the nastiest fans have been at the U - in - SLC.
    I have been to USC vs UCLA and they were more composed the Ute fans.
    They could be Jack-Mormons that could not qualify for admittance into BYU — Kick there butts Cougs.

• Seeing lots of Ute haters..
    Nov. 25, 2009 5:34 p.m.

My how things have changed. Seeing more and more Ute haters than Byu fans.

• Stripes
    Nov. 25, 2009 3:47 p.m.

Howard is the epitomy of a BYU hater . . . loathing the team, school, people secretely hope to be, but never will because you lack the discipline and intellect.

• Henry Drummond
    Nov. 25, 2009 3:32 p.m.

The article brought back a lot of memories. Howard wasn't alone in accusing BYU of "running up the score" though. I'm not even sure if he was the only one who expressed his feelings in terms of "hate". He was a colorful guy and was good for the U.

• Bob Henstra
    Nov. 25, 2009 3:16 p.m.

I loved Coach Howard, I donated to the "Save the Coach Howard salary slush fund!" I have an egg farm, I named all my chickens after Howard his staff and many of his players---We call our banty rooster--Howard!

Good game I hope, I want the score to be 60 zip! I want the ball in the air for the last touchdown when the final gun sounds.

Go--- Big Blue! "We're not Arrogant, we're just better than u!"

• BYU-Idaho Ute Fan
    Nov. 25, 2009 3:13 p.m.

Been a Ute fan my whole life. I love Utah football, and I can honestly say I hate BYU football, just like Howard. It is funny, I go to BYU-Idaho and cheer on the Utes, and my Brother-in-law went to Utah and cheers for BYU. He hates Utah. Go Utes!! Beat the team down south.

• Urban Meyer
    Nov. 25, 2009 2:35 p.m.

Urban Meyer is thew most arrogant, disrespectful football coach in football today. His whole "school down south" thing was just ridiculous. And the Utah fans were so stupid to think he cared about them...all he cared about was using Utah as a stepping stone get what he wanted. He played Utah like a fiddle. I can't stand the Utes but I have the utmost respect for Kyle Whittingham. He has class and does things the right way.

• GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Utes!!!!!!!!!!
    Nov. 25, 2009 2:32 p.m.

Haha... I love this rivalry. BYU fans get to call Utah fans drunkards (which can be true - but don't worry, no alcohol is allowed in RES). Utah fans get to call BYU fans holier-than-thou fools (well, because it's true. Max Hall and Jan Jorgensen have dirtier mouths than a sailor). But in the end I love it the most because BYU will always be a program with recruits who "obey the honor code" and have a coach who claims the purpose of the BYU football program is to "bring others unto Christ." Both statements a bunch of bull.... Go Utes! Kick those prideful kitties to the curb!!!

• Jim McMahon
    Nov. 25, 2009 2:12 p.m.

While it was fun playing for the Y back in the good ol days when they allowed me to drink adult beverages and inject steriods into my teammates I'm going to have to go with the Utes this weekend.

They are just too good. Utah is the best school and I think they will win by 3 td's again.

Play hard though Cougars. Bronco try to act like you care. thanks.

• RE PAUL KRUGER
    Nov. 25, 2009 1:54 p.m.

Hey Paul shouldn't you be focused on preparng the Raven's 53 man roster for Sunday's game?

• Truth and Honor
    Nov. 25, 2009 1:53 p.m.

I like Utah. It is good to have a place for the kids who can't get ito BYU to go.

• Paul Kruger
    Nov. 25, 2009 1:06 p.m.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that it was fun beating BYU last year and intercepting one of Max Hall's passes.

That being said, I'm sorry fellow Ute fans but it doesn't look like we have a good chance of winning the game this Saturday. I think the Cougs will whip up on us by 2 touchdowns. But give it your best anyway.

• Bob2
    Nov. 25, 2009 12:53 p.m.

He truly did get the Utes back on the road to respectability. I don't think some fans realize how down this program was. 8-2-1 was a minor miracle. I had just started school and I remember having class with Geno Lerouque, Mike Sobolewski and Tom Krebs. They were some of the rowdiest, but friendliest people you could ever meet and they loved their coach. I live in LA and I want to go down and watch a game with Coach Howard at a sports grill in Long Beach. Good luck to you coach and thanks for the memories!!!!

• Kaneshiro
    Nov. 25, 2009 12:36 p.m.

I predict 24-21 for the Cougs.

• Interesting Factoid
    Nov. 25, 2009 12:26 p.m.

Coach McBride was on Coach Howard's staff.

• Stirred up a hornets' nest
    Nov. 25, 2009 12:21 p.m.

I remember Howard's comment and BYU's 22-23 loss to the Utes.

BYU fans can thank Howard for stirring up a hornets' nest and making Utah's bowl game for the next decade more exciting for Cougar fans.

1978 BYU 22 Utah 23
    1979 BYU 27 Utah 0
    1980 BYU 56 Utah 6 (largest margin in BYU-Utah history)
    1981 BYU 56 Utah 28
    1982 BYU 17 Utah 12 (BYU by 5 :)
    1983 BYU 55 Utah 7
    1984 BYU 24 Utah 14
    1985 BYU 38 Utah 28
    1986 BYU 35 Utah 21
    1987 BYU 21 Utah 18
    1988 BYU 28 Utah 57 (1st Utah win in 10 years)
    1989 BYU 70 Utah 31 (most points in one game)
    1990 BYU 45 Utah 22
    1991 BYU 48 Utah 17
    1992 BYU 31 Utah 22 (Utah's 1st bowl in 28 years)
    1993 BYU 31 Utah 34 (the famous 34-31 game)
    1994 BYU 31 Utah 34 (both teams finish in Top 10)
    1995 BYU 34 Utah 17
    1996 BYU 37 Utah 17 (BYU finishes #5 with Cotton Bowl win)

• Let me get this straight
    Nov. 25, 2009 12:20 p.m.

This rivalry is heated and everyone hates everyone else because of the behavior of BYU fans? Is that what is being said?

I'm pretty sure the behavior by both sides is equally reprehensible. As an alumnus of both schools, I thinks the behavior by both fan bases is pathetic!

Its football, for crying out loud. Have fun with the rivalry but show some class and eliminate the hatred. Life is too short for such excesses.

Is it worth having a coronary because of your misplaced hatred?

• Reasons to "Hate"
    Nov. 25, 2009 11:51 a.m.

My uncle had a U flag in his front yard last year, notice I say had? After the Ute's one some charming Y fan pulled it down burned it on his front porch and ran up a Y flag instead, then people want to complain about the rivalry being to intense? It will go on forever and I say bring it because in the end both sides love to hate the other.

• Wildcat
    Nov. 25, 2009 11:47 a.m.

The players come and go, the coaches are responsbile for the legacy left behind. Coach Mac built the foundation for Utah and is doing the same for WSU, which is in the FBS (William & Mary, Sat).

Go Utes!
    Go Wildcats!

Sorry BYU, I root for you whenever you aren't playing Utah. I would like to see you succeed & continue to represent the conference with pride. But your legacy is fading, the program is not keeping up with the new era of College Football. Progress can only be made when you can be true to yourself, recognize your weaknesses, then address them. It has been the same beat to the same drum for too long, always good but never great.

• Pretender - EXCUSES
    Nov. 25, 2009 11:30 a.m.

Who Cares. Typical BYU Yning. Coach Howard used this to hype his team and the game. You don't need to explain and excuse actions at a BYU game over 30 years ago. Like Coach said "Hate" doesn't mean I want to shoot you, just beat you.

• Cougar Fan that Respects Howard
    Nov. 25, 2009 11:19 a.m.

Yes, Howard only beat BYU once in his five or six years there but one must also remember that BYU was at its high point with several one loss teams and QB's like Wilson, McMahon and Steve Young. Howard's teams were very competitive with BYU. I remember watching the 1978 won by Utah 29-28. It was my first of 20 straight games I was able to see in person from these rivals. As a 13 year-old Cougar fan I was pretty upset with the Ute win but it began a love affair with this great rivalry and Howard made it fun!

• Re: plyxply
    Nov. 25, 2009 11:10 a.m.

Your analogies need a little work, but keep trying you'll get there.

• Blah
    Nov. 25, 2009 11:02 a.m.

Except for the football game in the middle of this whole mess, I really hate this rivalry. It never quits. It is always going on. Ute fan talks about how bad BYU fan. BYU fan talks about how Ute fan wants to be Y fan.

Lame. Really.

I'm a BYU fan who hates where this rivalry goes when the football game is over.

• Re: Cougarf@n
    Nov. 25, 2009 10:30 a.m.

Thank you for pointing out what Coach Mac did for Utah football. He moved the program to a level it hadn't been in my lifetime, and did it with personality that was appreciated by Utah fans and foes alike. His success and recruiting set the table for unprecedented success in the last seven years.

I look forward to a hard fought, competitive game this weekend. Hopefully the Utes come out on top!

• Ute Haters
    Nov. 25, 2009 10:05 a.m.

More BYU "fans" called Wayne Howard's radio show than Ute fans? I had no idea there were more Ute haters than BYU fans back in the 70's. Just like the 90's. Just like the 2000's. More things change, more they stay the same.

• San Diego Ute Fan
    Nov. 25, 2009 9:51 a.m.

Sounds to me like we should put up a statue for Wayne Howard. Fans from the school down south make it easy to feel the way Wayne felt.

• Cougarf@n
    Nov. 25, 2009 9:47 a.m.

I'm pretty sure Howard going 1-5 against BYU didn't make the game a great rivalry. It was one sided for Howard and it continued to be one-sided for nearly 20 years after he left. The accolade for making this a great rivalry, in my humble opinion, belongs to coach Mac for his great work in the mid to late 90's. Myer and KW have kept the game exciting every year and brought the U to new heights, but Mac put a previously one-sided rivalry on the map. But I guess Rock has to try to make an article about a coach over a mostly medicore team interesting somehow, so he can take credit for making the rivalry for one article, however meritless that may be.

• AK Cougar
    Nov. 25, 2009 9:40 a.m.

Nice article about a former coach and his mark left on the team. Investing in apartments and high end housing must have been quite profitable for him to retire at 61.

Now to Saturdays game. Go Cougars. Get Emotional and have fun for the last game of the season.

• Rivalry
    Nov. 25, 2009 9:37 a.m.

There is a program the have been airing on the MTN about the Rivalry that explained this pretty well. Great Story.
    Go Utes!

• plyxply
    Nov. 25, 2009 9:30 a.m.

I think Coach Howard hated BYU's coaches and players, I think the rest of us just feel like that about Cougar fans, and probably Bronco for talking like he's on medication all the time. I've never met a group of people who know so little about football yet act and talk like they know so much. I've laughed on many occasions listening to Cougar fans explain their football theories, great stuff.
    I liken it unto a freshman math student who is trying to impress his fellow classmates with his vast math knowledge, what he doesn't know is that he's in a room with a bunch of MIT math professors who are doing everything they can to encourage this kid while trying with all their might, mind, and strength to not laugh out loud in the kids face.

• Billy Red
    Nov. 25, 2009 9:13 a.m.

Good thing he wasn't coaching WYO when Whit onsides kicked them. He would have had a coronary on the spot!

• The Flyin' Ute
    Nov. 25, 2009 8:37 a.m.

Never met Coach Howard but heard a few stories from some of the older players. They thought it was fun playing for him.

Thankfully Jim Fassel started up the "missionary" program and recruited me. Previous to Fassel if you wanted to go on a mission they were not holding your scholarship.

I'm happy to know what happened to Coach Howard. Thanks for update.

This Saturday's game has the making of another epic battle. Hopefully it is close. Go Utes.

• Urban
    Nov. 25, 2009 8:35 a.m.

He thinks BYU was bad for doing that in one game, look at one of the u's more recent coaches, Meyer. He runs up the score every chance he gets, and did it at Utah all the time too.

• ok
    Nov. 25, 2009 7:21 a.m.

Its time to de-Howaed the rivelry
    Its just football

• TDS
    Nov. 25, 2009 7:08 a.m.

Dear little brothers,

Your big brothers from north will be visiting you this Saturday. So get ready. Stuff yourselves with turkey, blueberry sauce (you don't deserve the red cranberry sauce), corn, peas, etc. Then your big brothers will whip you good.

Utah 35
    BYU 14

• Go Utes!!!
    Nov. 25, 2009 7:05 a.m.

Nothing wrong with wanting to beat BYU.
    Who doesn't?

Utah 28
    BYU 14

• Stud Coach
    Nov. 25, 2009 6:48 a.m.

Fun article! I feel your hate.
    I love this rivalry, makes fall something to look forward to.

Thanks Coach Howard ;o)

• pretender
    Nov. 25, 2009 6:30 a.m.

I wonder if Howard would have put his QB back into the game (Wilson had already been benched) when he was told by assistants that he only needed 8 yards to set an NCAA record. LaVell didn't dream that the 8 yards would turn into a huge ran after catch for a TD. The game was already lost. Howard should have congratulated Wilson. Instead, he throws a temper tantrum. Real classy guy.

How many times did he beat BYU? He hated BYU, but LaVell had his number. He can retire thinking about that. Rivalry is great. Hate is stupid. I rooted for the Utes in 'bama game last year and every time they play a non-MWC opponent, but I'll be cheering against them this Saturday! Go Blue!

• Dennis
    Nov. 25, 2009 6:08 a.m.

Coach Howard led the way. I've named children and pets after him. A man like this didn't come around very often, but when one does, it's such a refreshing change that the world has to stop and take notice.