Utah

Boy recovering from pit bull attack

5-year-old's skin grafts are helping heal gaping wound

• Pitbulls
    March 5, 2010 8:00 p.m.

First of all this is a very sad story and I feel for the family involved, but all of you blaming the pitbull in this situation are wrongly (and commonly) mistaken. Yes pitbulls are loyal animals, but they also are unbelievably friendly to ALL people. The statement about them being bred to be mean to all other people is 100% false and if you did any research on the breed and it's history you would know this. They were bred to be EXTREMELY people friendly and even the fighting pits today rarely attack people. This is so the owner can stop the dog in the middle of a fight with an ANIMAL and not get hurt. I will agree that you can't predict when they'll snap. Sadly this is the case with every and I mean every dog in the entire world. ALL dogs can bite! Statistically though Border Collies and Golden Retrievers bite more often than pits! The only problem here is that pits do more damage when they do bite so most cases become publicized where as those of labs or Chihuahuas would not be media worthy. Solution: Ban bad owners, NOT the pitbull.

Jan. 28, 2010 12:50 p.m.

I am so sick of pit bull owners saying that their dog is the exception and wouldn't hurt anybody. Get a clue.

Pit bulls are in the mastiff family, a breed charactirized by their tendency to be loyal to one or two people and mean to all the rest. That's what they were bred for. They're also charactarized by a tendency for unpredictable violent outbursts. They can be perfectly calm and friendly most of the time and then snap all of the sudden.

You can't predict when they'll snap, no matter how cute you think the the dog is. I can't understand why anyone would want to keep one of these in their home, let alone expose it to the neighbors.
    Bottom line: The evidence that Pit Bulls are nice and safe is anecdotal. The evidence they are vicious breed is overwhelming. Ban them.

Jan. 28, 2010 12:32 p.m.

thats why i hate pit bulls they are realy bad dogs

Jan. 28, 2010 12:31 p.m.

that is so sad poor baby

• Tony
    Dec. 24, 2009 12:27 p.m.

The first question is why have such an animal. The line of suitability is drawn at the point where the pursuit has a deminishing return aspect. Given they are a breed not a species No one would recomend breeding such a animal into existence had it not already been done by a former generation. They may have served a very importaant purpose at that time. At this juncture they serve no purpose and there ownership is a testament to someone who has formed a knee jerk attachment or lacks idenity outside of conflict. They always ask the question is it a good family dog. Self centered they forget the question is is it a good community dog.

• Animal lover
    Nov. 21, 2009 4:02 p.m.

For those of you don't like animals and don't want to live in a community where there are animals, why don't you move into an apt. complex? Then you don't have to deal with the ones that own animals.

As for pitbulls I would never own one or be around one if I can help it. They can turn on anyone and should not be trusted. I think that they should not be allowed. they are very vicious dogs.

• HMMMM
    Nov. 16, 2009 9:54 a.m.

to the person who hates dogs, maybe you should get a dog for your children, they teach them responsibility and loyalty and they would probably love it. People who dont like animals have something wwong with them. Dogs love you no matter how good looking you are, how fat or skinny you are, how rich you are, they could care less, cant say the same for people.

• wow
    Nov. 16, 2009 9:08 a.m.

people are ignorant. It is all in the owner, dogs just aim to please.

• wow
    Nov. 16, 2009 9:03 a.m.

how did rotties get brought in to this. I own a rottie and he is the sweetest dog. I socialized him young and trained him to behave. People who blame the dog are ignorant. Pit bulls are very loyal and do anything to please their owner. I think there should be restrictions one who owns these very powerful dogs.

• Wow
    Nov. 16, 2009 9:00 a.m.

To Chance @ 8;38 am. Wow how did Rotties get brought up in this whole thing. I own a rottie and he is the best dog I have ever owned. I know there are mean rotties out there and it is all in the owner. My dogs mom is one that was trained bad. Her owner beats her and didnt socialize her, but my dog is the exact opposite. I took him out to play with other dogs and to be around kids and people when he was a puppy. It is always the owners fault. If people would socialize their dogs and treat them good then they would be fine. People who blame the dog are just ignorant. Pit bulls are loyal and are just doing what the owner taught them.

• dog lover
    Nov. 15, 2009 2:33 a.m.

I am so sorry for anyone who is bitten or attacked by any dog. I feel it is a crime to abuse any animal and people who raise their dogs to be vicious should not be allowed to own dogs. I own a part pit, part lab. I have to honestly say that she is the best dog I have ever owned. At first my neighbors were afraid of "a pit bull" I know that every single one of them would say that my dog is so well behaved and gentle that she is trusted by all. Any dog and attack and bite, pit bulls get the worst wrap. I have been bitten by other peoples dogs several times when I was younger. Never by a ppit bull.

• A reasonable solution
    Nov. 14, 2009 7:33 p.m.

My wife and I have a 1/2 pit and 1/2 retriever. He's a silly dog who loves to chew on soft toys, blankets and will do tricks for any type of food. He loves everyone he meets when we are with him, but if you try and enter the backyard without us there he'll most likely tear your face off.

That having been said:
    I understand the thoughts on both sides of the argument. The world would not become less of a place if we decided to neuter all pit bulls OR only allow them to breed with a friendly dog such as Lab, Retriever etc. The new offspring or new species ( example Pit Lab or Pit Retriever)is a just fine mix.

Anyways everyone knows that pure breeds have more health problems than mixed breeds.

He still loves to wrestle and fight a bit but upon the snap of a finger or stomp of a foot he comes to attention and sits still. In other words s

• Grow up
    Nov. 14, 2009 5:38 p.m.

I hope they put down the mangy pit bull who did this horrible thing to this sweet little child. The owner of the dog has rocks in his head to try to shove all the blame onto this little boy. LETS GET SERIOUS!

• To Scott...
    Nov. 14, 2009 5:09 p.m.

You obviously think you are a lot smarter than you really are, or you would know that pit bulls are dangerous.

Case in point...there are people that think it is a good thing to reinstate wolves into the wild. Common sense would tell a reasonable person this was unwise. One of their arguments was that "there have been no documented wolf attacks on humans". Well, I personally know two people that have been attacked by wolves. One in the wild, and one in captivity. SO why aren't these cases documented? By the way, the "reinstate the wolves" thing has turned out very badly. I suspect that there are a lot of pit bull owners out there that are so emotionally attached to their dogs that they WILL NOT accept common sense, nor will they accept the documented cases of pit bull attacks as valid. But it happens FAR TOO OFTEN. And I personall know of a young boy that was attacked by the neighbors pit bull.
    So why don't you do some research yourself so that you can be as smart as the rest of us that have the gift of common sense. Pit Bulls are DANGEROUS.

• dan
    Nov. 14, 2009 3:49 p.m.

Dog needs to be put down period. it will be when not if that the dog will do it again.

• JAYEG
    Nov. 14, 2009 3:15 p.m.

Owning a dog is not a right. It is a privilege. Some dog owners own up to their responsibilities as dog owners. They provide proper care, training, and containing of the animal.

Others clearly do not.

The most important consideration should be the safety of our children. And it angers me whenever I see another picture of another child who has been maimed...or even worse, read of another dog attack fatality.

• JAYEG
    Nov. 14, 2009 3:05 p.m.

RE: Anonymous | 2:08 p.m. Nov. 14, 2009

Some cities have passed legislation requiring the owners of certain breeds of dogs known for aggressive tendencies to carry a substantial amount of insurance.

Nov. 14, 2009 2:08 p.m.

Maybe dog owners should be required to carry special insurance that covers everything from counseling to funeral costs.

What right do people have to take risks with other people's lives?

• Scott
    Nov. 14, 2009 1:48 p.m.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed? The majority of these (anti-pit) comments appear to have been formulated and written by a select few, (The names being changed to protect the 'Guilty'). Check out syntax usage and spelling errors throughout most of the postings. Why do these people proudly exhibit their low IQ, and find enjoyment in sharing ignorant and unsubstantiated dialogue with the rest of us? Stop hiding behind false monikers and 'Anonymous' postings...and cite your sources. [Fools need not apply].

• JAYEG
    Nov. 14, 2009 1:28 p.m.

Consider this. The owner of this particular dog provided no proof of rabies shots.

This means that anyone the dog bites must undergo rabies treatment.

In the United States, post-exposure treatment for rabies consists of a regimen of one dose of rabies immune globulin and five doses of the rabies vaccine over a 28-day period. Doctors administer the rabies immune globulin and the first dose of the vaccine as soon as possible after exposure. Normally, additional doses of rabies vaccine follow on days 3, 7, 14, and 28 after the first vaccination.

This sure beats the former treatment, which involved very painful daily injections into the abdomen for a period of about 5 weeks. Quite a few side effects too.

Dog owners MUST be held financially accountable when their dog bites or mauls a human being.

• JAYEG
    Nov. 14, 2009 1:17 p.m.

As I look at the picture of this child, I thank the powers that be, and how quickly the older children ran for help, that this didn't result in another fatality.

A 5 year old child is quite helpless. And this dog is said to be 50-60 pounds. The dog took this child down in the blink of an eye, biting him beneath one armpit, and ripping his cheek off.

IMPO...regardless of how the dog got loose, or what might have transpired in the past...a dog who is running loose, and who mauls a human being, and especially a helpless child, should be automatically euthenized.

The dogs owner should be required to pay the medical costs, as well as counseling for the child. He's going to need it.

• JAYEG
    Nov. 14, 2009 1:12 p.m.

Re: Dog owners... | 6:14 p.m. Nov. 13, 2009

While I would agree that it is annoying to hear neighbor's dogs barking day and night, or that their dogs might roam loose and poop in your yard...I would also say that unruly neighborhood children can also be quite annoying as well.

We have neighbors whose kids roam unsupervised. They are sometimes destructive to other folk's private property, and they are often noisy and obnoxious.

We have a number of senior citizens in the neighborhood who cannot tolerate the usual day to day neighborhood noise. If they so much as hear a neighbor's radio while he's washing his car, they call the cops. If a child so much as kicks a ball over their fence, they call the cops. If a dog poops on their easement, they call animal control.

But disruptive and destructive children, barking dogs, and the odd pile of poop here and there from is part and parcel to living in a neighborhood.

If you can't handle it...it might be better for you to consider moving where people are scarce.

Nov. 14, 2009 12:49 p.m.

One other thing, when my son got attacked by the dog, he never blamed the dog for the attack. He still loves dogs, and is not afraid of them, however, he is a little more cautious now around dogs, and shows responsibility. He honestly misses the dog I had to put down, and still cries because he misses him.

Nov. 14, 2009 12:37 p.m.

I have first hand witnessed kids in my neighborhood teasing my dogs when I had them locked in a kennel. They would throw rocks and sticks at them, trying to get my dogs riled up. I asked them to stop, but it was a little to late. My dog ended up biting my son in his face 2 times, and my son needed emergency plastic surgery. Needless to say, the very next day, I put the dog down. It was very hard to do, but I could not let the dog go on knowing that he could do that now. He normally was not a vicious dog, but I feel the kids caused him to get that way. Best thing, take your dogs inside, or lock them in a garage if kids are around, and can tease them. Protect both the dogs and the kids.

• Stick it to the dog's owner
    Nov. 14, 2009 11:57 a.m.

Only an idiot would have a dog like that. Pit Bulls are of no use except for attacking people. This kid would never have been hurt if some idiot didn't have a pit bull running amuck. I say stick it to the owner!

• It all depends
    Nov. 14, 2009 11:43 a.m.

I've had neighbors with mean, aggressive dogs that frightened me, and also neighbors with kind, affectionate dogs. It all depends on the individual circumstances.

• TO Tang
    Nov. 14, 2009 11:42 a.m.

I am so sorry you feel so damage by this boy, the boy may have been responsible for letting this dog out. I know so many kids who go up to vicious dog pens and let them out. Oh wait how has the dog owner been damaged? He had to clean the blood off his dog.

• Phil
    Nov. 14, 2009 11:38 a.m.

The said thing is that the person who is at fault, will probably never pay much. Personal responsibility does not go far when you have so many ways to get out of paying civil court judgments. The biggest question will be can this guy pay anything is it even worth a filing fee.

• I just have to say
    Nov. 14, 2009 10:42 a.m.

that it seems very weird to me that a 5-year old was all by himself, wondering around the neighborhood and that this happened in the first place. Where were his parents? Why was he all alone? And, just let some of you think about it for a minute - this child has probably been out doing all kinds of ornery stuff all the time. And his parents have probably condoned, taught and encouraged him in it.

• To No More Pets
    Nov. 14, 2009 10:38 a.m.

I have pets, I've had them in the past, and I'll probably have them in the future. I don't go out looking for one - some irresponsible hump dumps them on my front porch or I see them bleeding and sick and take them in. I wish I didn't have them a lot of the time. Hair and fur and stinking poop and vet bills and then they die and I have to bury them and sob at their graves. But, that's the way it is. I, like you, wish there was a neighborhood that banned them and that to live in that neighborhood, you couldn't have a pet - outside NOR inside. Add to that children under 25. There. Now we'd be happy, wouldn't we?

• To 7:53
    Nov. 14, 2009 10:23 a.m.

Yeah...all dogs are cute when they're puppies. But Pit Bulls and some other breeds grow up and eat you.... nuff said

• No common sense
    Nov. 14, 2009 9:45 a.m.

Anonymous: you are correct. How long? If put before the voters, a measure to ban these dogs would pass 80/20. The little boy will be afraid of any dog the rest of his life. At some point our elected people need to show a modicum of common sense. Ban all dangerous animals - wolves, pit bulls, snakes, all of them.

• PAY FOR IT
    Nov. 14, 2009 9:17 a.m.

... and Tang's owners should be forced to pay the medical bills!

• JAIL TIME
    Nov. 14, 2009 9:16 a.m.

Tang's owners need JAIL TIME.

• Chance
    Nov. 14, 2009 8:38 a.m.

THe pit lovers will be all over this, but I have been saying for years now: Ban Pit Bulls and other dangerous dogs like Rotties. If you do the research, these animals have done some terrible things to little kids and it has happened alot, for no apparent reason often times. Kill them all. OR, lets domesticate and allow people to keep Mountain Lions for pets. Same thing.

Nov. 14, 2009 8:25 a.m.

Pit Bulls are notorius for attacking people and this one should be put down. My heart goes out to this little boy. My son was attacked by a dog when he was 6 yrs. old and took a piece of his scalp out. I wouldn't have a dog that would bite people.

Nov. 14, 2009 8:23 a.m.

These dogs are only as dangerous as their owners make them. We had a pitbull living next dooor for years and he was a very gentle dog. We also have had large part wolf dogs and they were very good and gentle dogs

• @To: "Dog owners"
    Nov. 14, 2009 8:16 a.m.

Lots of empty words. Now, try to explain to the child involved why he was mauled by a loving pet.

Nov. 14, 2009 7:58 a.m.

A locked gate that a five year old can open is not secure enough for a dog with that kind of capability to hurt humans! If he opened it or not is not a valid argument here! The dog owner is responsible for this tragedy! Its nice there is a fund set up for Andrew's care, but the dog owner or his insurance should be paying all the medical bills. When will these dogs be outlawed? How many more children need to be hurt or killed before they are no longer allowed in neighborhoods?

Nov. 14, 2009 7:57 a.m.

"Tang's owner"? What's the individual's name?

And how can a little boy possibly release a vicious animal that's properly secured?

• Chris
    Nov. 14, 2009 7:48 a.m.

I would have to agree with the dog owners....
    In all my married life I have lived next to dog owners who (with one exception) always let their dog bark whenever we were outside. They barked all the time and nothing was ever done to quiet them. I have had to scoop dog poop off of my lawn almost everyday.
    And you wonder why people who don't have dogs are bitter?

• Chris J.
    Nov. 14, 2009 7:37 a.m.

I can't believe my eyes when I read the dog owner state it was the innocent 5 year old boys fault! The dog owner is at fault for rearing a viscous dog and keeping him insecurely detained, as I'm sure the misdemeanors attest.
    That dog should be shot point blank, and the owner railroaded out of Utah, so he can't molest our children in this fashion.
    To the dog owner: Stand up and take some responsibility for your actions (Like a REAL man).

• Pit Bulls are illegal
    Nov. 14, 2009 6:46 a.m.

to own in South Jordan. Good for South Jordan! Seems that city has some common sense.

• Utah Doc
    Nov. 14, 2009 5:46 a.m.

BAN THIS BREED!

How many children must be maimed before we rid these monsters from our society.

• No more pets.
    Nov. 14, 2009 2:42 a.m.

I doubt anyone is going to agree with me. But, amimals belong in the wild. To me, pets are slaves. They are also dangerous, destructive, and often a nuisance. I truly wish that I could move into a neighborhood that had a no pet agreement. Perhaps I'd feel different if people truly took care of their pets, and had them trained correctly. But, too many people are not that responsible. Nobody should ever have to live next to a home with a barking dog. NEVER!

Nov. 13, 2009 10:01 p.m.

How many of these vicious maulings must be endured before these animals are outlawed in domestic settings?

• To 7:53
    Nov. 13, 2009 8:52 p.m.

Thank you for cleaning up and being responsible. I'd dare say you are among the 5% that do...but I'd have to agree with "Dog Owners 6:14"...simply because I know several people that have been attacked unprovoked by dangerous breeds of dogs...and I have a lot of dog doo doo on my lawn and I don't even own a dog.

As for pit bulls...meanness is bred into them. One day they will snap and attack someone needlessly...no matter how nice and sweet they were up to that point.

Nov. 13, 2009 8:45 p.m.

What a beautiful child! How tragic...but he is still beautiful...those eyes are so blue. I can't quite see him letting the dog out...he is quite young.

• Mimi
    Nov. 13, 2009 8:05 p.m.

Pit Bulls are always gentle and sweet...until they chew someone to death. An extremely unpredictable breed.

• To: "Dog owners"
    Nov. 13, 2009 7:53 p.m.

What in the world happened to you to make you so bitter?

A loving pet is one of the supreme joys of life. Our furry little baby brings us infinite amounts of unconditional love, happiness and laughter. We are responsible pet owners. We walk our dog on a leash and clean up after her.

As for Pit Bulls - it depends on the owner. It depends on how the dogs are treated and trained. A friend brought his 5 month old pit bull to our house and he was just the sweetest clumsy puppy, not the tiniest bit mean. And look at Caesar Milan's Pit. The one he takes with him everywhere as a calm example to other dogs?

• Kamis
    Nov. 13, 2009 7:34 p.m.

I hope that guy has homeowner's insurance that will help pay that boy's medical bills.

His pet, his responsibility - regardless of whether or not the neighbor kid aggravated the dog and let him out. Tough lesson.

• Very telling
    Nov. 13, 2009 6:43 p.m.

..... "no dog license and no proof of rabies shots"...

This in and of itself proves that Tang's owner can not be trusted to own a pet much less a breed that is notorious for attacking humans. To all the Pit Bull lovers--dont even bring up "its how they are socialized, or "its how the owners raise the dog". The key is this breed was specifically bred for fighting and killing.

• Dog owners...
    Nov. 13, 2009 6:14 p.m.

OFTEN Make bad neighbors.

I mean if the dogs aren't attacking your children, they're pooping on your lawn and killing the plants in your front yard and barking at all hours of the night and day. Then your children step in the poop and track it into your house....you get the point. I see dog owners letting their dogs poop in city parks etc. all the time.

If you want to own a dog, keep it locked up somewhere where I can't smell it, see it, or hear it...PLEASE!

And if you want to own a viscous people eating animal THAT makes you an even WORSE neighbor. It should be illegal to breed and own such dogs unless they are ALWAYS locked up securely with NO chance of escape (again, where they can't be seen, heard, or smelled). Do the world a favor and euthanize your "pets". My children and ALL children will be much safer.

Signed, Someone who is sick and tired of others' irresponsible pet habits.

Nov. 13, 2009 5:52 p.m.

This owner needs to be liable for the medical expenses as well as pay for the scars he will carry for life, both mental and phisical. Why anyone owns a dog like this is simply a mistery to me.
    Vick kills a few of these dogs and looses millions. The owner that put this young boy in danger should pay a like price. It should be just as publisised as to deter this problem in the future!!!

Nov. 13, 2009 5:51 p.m.

I think it's cool there is an account set up for Andrew. I hope the owner is the first one in line dumping most everything he owns into that account.

I am a father, and I am a dog owner (never a pit). If this happened to my child, you would be sure the lawsuit would already be filed. If my dog did something similar, even if the child provoked it, you would also be sure the dog would already be put down, and I would be doing the best I could to pay for my animal's behavior.

• Justice for all
    Nov. 13, 2009 5:42 p.m.

Wow. What a pathological liar Tang's owner is. I hope Andrew's family files a significant lawsuit against the owner to help protect children from future attacks. I believe it would be a deterrent if there was an actual consequence to these asinine dog attacks. A "fine" and putting the dog down don't seem to stop owners from putting others in harm's way.

And to Anonymous above, your son is asking for trouble by owning a wolf.

• Liability
    Nov. 13, 2009 5:32 p.m.

Maybe a civil action against Tang- should be strictly liable for damages. No defense when damages caused by an extra hazardous dog.

• ER
    Nov. 13, 2009 5:20 p.m.

And still we don't learn. It will happen again and again, ask any Emergency Room nurse. Until it's your family, it's just a personal interest story that one quickly forgets. Dangerous dog owner should be held responsible for their pets. If the owner did this to a 5 year old child there would be an uproar.

• Ralph
    Nov. 13, 2009 3:21 p.m.

People who keep such animals should do some considerable time in the clink. Four misdemeanant citations and a polite sanitized discussion regarding the demise of this cute little doggy does not render adequate justice. Tang's owner provided the usual lame excuses which are often casually thrown out when justifying the existence of this vicious breed.

Nov. 13, 2009 2:44 p.m.

ANDREW IS JUST A YOUNG BOY, THE DOG SOULD OF BEEN MORE SECURE .MY SON HAS A WOLF HE IS UNDER LOCK AND KEY JUST LIKE THE PIT SHOULD BE.
    .ANDREW IS SCARED FOR LIE GOD BE WITH YOU ANDREW.