USU, BYU football: Cougars aim to contain USU offense

• Anonymous
    Oct. 4, 2009 2:32 a.m.

Ehy doesn't BYU play Boise State instead of USU. USU hasn't been competitive for years. They don't put any money into athletics and they don't have tons of money like BYU who has the nerve to ask people to donate their entire estates to the University. This is something I find very crazy.

• Miami is Fast
    Oct. 2, 2009 6:18 p.m.

Put BYU on the field with Miami Hurricanes and you will see how slow they are. They made Florida State look slow a few weeks back on a Monday Night Game.

• re:re seriously
    Oct. 2, 2009 4:27 p.m.

Wow, they really came out and showed everyone that they were a force by defeating suu...........nice argument.

• re: seriously
    Oct. 2, 2009 4:09 p.m.

Nobody gave USU a chance against SUU and look what they did to that team?

• re: WAC is Better! Results.
    Oct. 2, 2009 4:08 p.m.

If Idaho and New Mexico State are winning MWC cellar dwellers than USU is in deep deep trouble because they would get throttled by New Mexico or San Diego St.

• seriously?
    Oct. 2, 2009 3:58 p.m.

I really miss seeing USU on ESPN's "bottom 10" from week to week. It seems like USU should quit the WAC and join utah's high school division 3A, that way they could get a winning record!

Id say BYU deserves a brake, 10 top ten teams have lost to un-ranked teams this year.

but seriously, USU doesnt stand a chance

• Re: Turbin
    Oct. 2, 2009 10:48 a.m.

That will probably happen when BYU comes to recruit him just like they did Nelson.

• trueblue
    Oct. 2, 2009 8:36 a.m.

Max Hall is a decent college quaterback that is all. He still tends to lock on one reciever and try force the ball to him at times. Don't take this to harsh I think Max is doing an decent job but, he could realy improve by scanning the field and hitting recievers in stride instead of spot throws. Have you noticed how many times he hits Pita on deep curl routs ? I know it is the play called but there are a lot of times where he needs to get these guys the ball in stride. It makes a huge difference in yards after the catch. His fault, recievers fault, nobodys fault he is the quaterback and he is the one credited with interceptions. If the cougars do not turn the ball over and can run the ball efectively they should win by atleast a couple touchdowns. Don't be shocked if they lose. ANYBODY CAN BEAT ANYBODY ON ANY GIVEN DAY !

• WAC is Better! Results.
    Oct. 2, 2009 7:50 a.m.

New Mexico State beat New Mexico at home. NMSU is the worst team in the WAC and will lose all games in WAC. Yet beat the mighty MWC New Mexico team.

And Idaho Beat SDSU by 2 TD's and Idaho is the 2nd worst team in WAC....

MWC needs to wake up a little & it's mainly BYU fans, MWC is much weaker top to bottom this yr and it is obvious. Please look at the results.

• Cougars
    Oct. 1, 2009 11:24 p.m.

That's right, no way to stop us, only hope is to contain us.

Go AGGIES!!!!!

• Fatty
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:16 p.m.

Here's to hoping: Go Aggies!

• RE:Max Provides Aggie Offense
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:04 p.m.

Any knowledgable football fan that watched the byu/fsu game knows that the loss was not on Max Hall. Byu lost that game due to a defense that could not get a stop and could not get off the field. Chambers fumble and the Defense put BYU in that hole early on. Anytime your down by more then 2 scores in the second half a qb has to start throwing down field and the defense knows this and thats when interceptions happen. Oh and as far as the 3 ints only one was really Max's fault. Last year against Utah he had a bad game, sobeit it happens all qbs have a few bad games. Say what you will about Max but his record as a starting qb speaks for itself, not many starting QBs have a 24-6 record as a starter and of those 6 losses only one was really on him that being the utah game last year of course.

• Max Provides Aggie Offense
    Oct. 1, 2009 6:13 p.m.

If Aggies can get off to a fast start then Max Hall will provide plenty of Aggie offense. The y's ugly losses last year and this year were games when Hall was pressed. I believe Hall had the second most Ute completions last year.

• Another thin
    Oct. 1, 2009 5:13 p.m.

USU cannot fumble the ball to stay competitive they put the ball on the turf every game. They also need to find away as many of teams have done to pick of Max Hall a couple of times. They do this and they have a good chance to win. But it will be an uphill battle for USU to win. BYU has the downhill advantage and should win the game.

• Not an overnight change
    Oct. 1, 2009 4:51 p.m.

First of the Aggies are improving but they've played three games under Coach Andersen. It's going to take more time and more recruiting to build USU until USU will be able to keep up with BYU and Utah. What I mean by "keeping up" is that they will actually win some games against BYU and Utah. But that isn't going to be this year. BYU will win this game. USU will fight for which is why I give a prediciton of 38-21 when the final whistle blows.

• re: Re: Cougarf@n
    Oct. 1, 2009 4:15 p.m.

Of course, it's been a while now, but after Oklahoma and Tulane, there was lots of national press talking about everything INCLUDING a possible NC.

The fact that you really can't recall is a topic for a different discussion.

The national media would LOVE to see a non-BCS team forced upon the BCS National Championship, not because of a love of BYU, BSU, TCU or even everybody's darling (Utah, for those of you still trying to guess), but because even sports media LOVES AN AXE MURDER!

If Texas or Florida play in the NC, there's no sizzle in that.

• Biggest Utefan Ever
    Oct. 1, 2009 4:09 p.m.

I'm going to be honest. My Utes were lucky to see USU early in the season. They'd whip us today. USU looks very good now that they have their assignments down. We Utes are still struggling and if we don't turn it around there will be cleat marks all over us at BYU in November. USU will play with BYU into Qtr 4 and may even be ahead but I think BYU will win in the end - too many higher quality athletes they can rotate in. This will be a good game to watch.

Oh and we have only lost one but the three teams that have me worried are: CSU, BYU and TCU. We'll be lucky to only have 4 losses by Dec.

• Dear Albert....
    Oct. 1, 2009 3:26 p.m.

I believe you are the ONLY person on this entire board to even mention religion. So in all reality, you are the only one leaving the subject of football here. Nice try though.

• Clovis Fan
    Oct. 1, 2009 3:05 p.m.

The Aggies will give the Cougars a game. USU seems to be on the upswing, but in the end it won't be close. We'll have too much of Max Hall, Dennis Pitta, Harvey Unga, etc. Yea the Aggie offense is improved, but so is the Cougar defense. BYU by 3 touchdowns.

• re: re anyonymous
    Oct. 1, 2009 2:40 p.m.

How can you say that BYU plays in a good conference. TCU is the only good MWC team this year. Don't bring up past years, or the WAC will have to reference the fact that they have had two of their teams make it into the BCS; 3 if you count BSU this year.

The WAC will be far and away the better conference in two years when Utah goes to the PAC 10 (with Colorado), and TCU goes to the Big 12 to fill the Colorado's vacancy. Then BYU will petitioning the WAC to get in.

Answer: NO

• What
    Oct. 1, 2009 2:15 p.m.

a joke... BYU fans refuse to give credibility to anyone they play, and there is a total lack of respect for USU. USU is a mid-major fighting for recognition just like everyone else around here... BYU and Utah have a 10-20 year head start, but that doesn't mean we'll never compete. We've done it in basketball all along! I hope it's a good game tomorrow and BYU fans can keep the arrogant, condescending remarks to a minimum, so I can enjoy myself, but I doubt it. The last time I went to a BYU game I had season tickets to football and basketball, I liked BYU, and I wanted them to do well, but the fans convinced me to never do that again!!! Go Aggies!

• Re: Confused
    Oct. 1, 2009 1:47 p.m.

I am a little confused about the fact that you say that you are not a big cougar fan, but basically claim that BYU will beat TCU. We certainly should "get back to reality here", TCU is largely the same team that crushed BYU last year. Presuming a win against them is silly.
    I think Cougarf@n has some fair predictions for the game, but for re: Anonymous 8:26am @ 10:34, I don't get why Cougars are coming after Aggies for predicting that they will probably lose, but it will be more competitive than people think. He goes on to bash the Aggies and say that they have big mouths. Not really sure how predicting a close loss for your team means that you have a big mouth, while predicting your team will crush somebody makes you humble and realistic. Nice post.

• re: Mizzou blue
    Oct. 1, 2009 1:11 p.m.

Actually, I'm hoping Bronco keeps Riley out of this game. Don't want to see him get a cheap-shot season or career ending injury from former unhappy teammates. After we're up by 50 let Gaskins hand the ball off to Kariya for our final 4 TD's.

• re: USU alum
    Oct. 1, 2009 1:03 p.m.

"What I love about reading these comments is that not one of them is from a member of either team."

So we can assume the same applies to you? Thought so. Way to create no credibility for your own comment.

• WinSum
    Oct. 1, 2009 12:58 p.m.

I get embarrassed by many of the BYU fan comments. almost as disappointing as the BYU haters....Sports and Sport Fans have really lost "class." Gross tatoos and smack-talk......what a sad commentary on games.....

• Paul
    Oct. 1, 2009 12:56 p.m.

you want logic and reason, how about this. Your beloved 57 ranked BYU defense is going up against USUs 9th ranked offense. You are also going against the fourth ranked rusher in the country. Granted You do have the 24th ranked offense going up against the 117th ranked defense, but to say this game is going to be a blowout and that USU should not even be playing is the only childish words I am hearing.

I know there is only a small chance USU will win, but it is possible and could happen. And as a USU fan I am holding onto that. To say that there is no chance of us winning just shows your lack of knowledge about sports. Maybe you should read some facts before you make a fool of yourself!

At least I am talking about sports here, unlike most these other idiots flaming off about your religion. Lets here what you have to say that is actually sports related...

• Cougarf@n
    Oct. 1, 2009 12:52 p.m.

The BYU coaches know better than to look past a team that put up a pretty good fight to Utah and Texas A&M, and it looks like the players are buying in (which they should after FSU). I think we all agree that Utah State is improving and I would not be surprised by them being able to put up 14-24 points on BYU and I think they'll be most effective early in the game. However, I don't see them keeping BYU out of the endzone enough to keep this game in contention very far into the second half. I see BYU putting up 35-45 points with a ten point win as the worst case scenario. But with Anderson on the other side of the ball I see this game becoming more competitive every year. By 2012 it should be a pretty good game. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Utah State goes on to win 5-6 games this year, they are in the WAC afterall.

• Little Jimmy Brady
    Oct. 1, 2009 12:44 p.m.

I don't know who will win the game but I'd love to see the Aggies smoke the Bragging over rated Zoobs. Hey notice that the Zoobies are now using Coach Whits "one game at a time"while fans are still bragging how great the team is. My frogs will cream you for sure and I'm sure that the Utes will too.

• Confused....
    Oct. 1, 2009 12:36 p.m.

BYU's season will be decided on October 24th against TCU. If TCU remains unbeaten and in the top 10, that will be two teams BYU will have beaten in the TOP 10 this year. Not too many other teams can say that, if any right now. I am confused as to why BYU is suddenly such a bad team because of the loss to Florida State? Let's get back to reality here, everytime BYU plays a game from here on out,its crazy to think they are going to get killed or Max Hall will throw all these interceptions....The last time I checked they are ranked in the top 20, and teams like Boise State (who play an awful scheduel)will lose before the season is over.
    ALSO, AND MAY I POINT THIS OUT. THIS ISN"T COMING FROM A DIE HARD BYU FAN, but someone who loves College Football and sees BYU as a good team that will get better. Also, I never heard any BYU fans talking about a National Championship..

• Mizzou Blue
    Oct. 1, 2009 12:21 p.m.

It would be great to see Bronco give Riley Nelson significant minutes tomorrow. Talk about a guy that would be motivated to play. Give him a shot Coach. Go Cougars!!

• re: Albert
    Oct. 1, 2009 12:02 p.m.

I think that most of the so-called "aggie fans" posting here are actualy just ute fans posing as aggies. Pretty sad.

• Wyoming
    Oct. 1, 2009 11:59 a.m.

600 yards total offense against Texas A&M? That is nothing to ignore, win or lose. This may be a win for BYU (I hope) but I have always said that anyone can be beat on any given day. Everyone has to bring their "A" game if they want a win.

• Realist
    Oct. 1, 2009 11:55 a.m.

USU DB's will have a field day....its not every week you get to play against Mr. Pick 6(Hall)!!

• USU alum
    Oct. 1, 2009 11:47 a.m.

What I love about reading these comments is that not one of them is from a member of either team. It's always interesting to me that in terms of sports and supporting, if the team you root for wins, it's always "We won." If the team you root for loses, it's always "They lost." Just support the team you root for and accept it that the players are the ones making the plays and winning or losing. Don't take the victory or loss as something you helped contribute to since you weren't actually on the field. Good luck to the Aggies against BYU this Saturday.

• Speed...
    Oct. 1, 2009 11:43 a.m.

I love how people conclude that the only attributes that decide the game is speed.
    If that were true, BYU would lose almost every game.

Also, it doesn't matter if USU racks up the yards if they can't put points on the board.

Talent, size, execution, and speed are all equal components to winning a game.

Oklahoma is known to be "freakishly fast", but they didn't perform. Florida State, had our number with an amazing QB performance, amazing schemes, and executed rush blocking.

USU can have all the speed they want, but if they don't size up(hit) and perform, they will be rolled.

this is reality...

• true blue
    Oct. 1, 2009 11:43 a.m.

Go Aggie blue!!!

• Albert
    Oct. 1, 2009 11:10 a.m.

Can't USU become rivals with Idaho? Please, be rivals with someone who needs and could use a rival. BYU has enough of them. Can't wait for this game to end so we no longer have to read all this childishness from a one-sided rival and ridiculous predictions.

Paul is the prime example of this. Where are the men Aggie fans who can talk logically and reasonably? I have never seen one on this website.

• Mr. Football
    Oct. 1, 2009 11:04 a.m.

Please put a taller db in for Logan in the red zone.

• re: re: Cougarfan
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:59 a.m.

Wow, where do you read your news? It was all over ESPN and many other networks. IT was extremely likely BYU could have made it to the championship game had they gone undefeated.

I love how Utes come on here pretending to be Aggies and predicting that USU will cream BYU. Nice try guys!! USU is one of the worst defensive teams in the nation. SUU scored 30 plus on them!!!! That tells it all. BYU should score at least 50 on USU. A two-man show for USU can never compete with BYU's weapons. I can't wait to see what happens when the game is well in hand and Nelson comes out.

• Guarantee
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:46 a.m.

There are very few guarantees in college football. I'm willing to pull out the guarantee word about one thing though. Max Hall will throw multiple interceptions and make this a closer game than it should be.

Here is another guarnatee. If Gary Andersen is given enough time and resources ($) he will return USU football to what it once was. For all of you Cougar fans that only choose to remember the Lavell Edwards years, skip Crowton and remember Mendenhall, that means USU will return to not only competing at the same level as BYU, but destroying them regularly.

• Ogden Aggie
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:38 a.m.

Thanks for the article D-News. It was well written. Turbin is actually 212, not 202. If the Aggie Defense shows up than the Ags have a shot at winning this. The team has proven it can score points, but I am not sure they can stop the BYU Offense. Either way I look forward to the game. Go State!!!!

• re: Anonymous 8:26am
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:34 a.m.

"The problem with BYU is their big heads."

And one of the many problems with USU fans is their big mouths.

If you think USU will be competitive in this game then you must be smoking that cheeseville cheese.

USU points to the loss to Texas A&M as some kind of great game for them. What a joke, Texas A&M just isn't very good but the aggies will take the moral victory. And the "blowout win" over SUU? BYU would score twice what you guys did against them.

Our team isn't happy at all about easily beating CSU last week and then dropping a spot in the polls. I think USU is really going to get a beating this week because of that.

• MWC
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:28 a.m.

The MWC is better than the WAC? Actually they are very similar. The problem is this year the bottom of the WAC is better than the bottom of the MWC. I know that this kind of stuff is really hard for MWC fans to understand. When your conference mates are losing to Idaho and New Mexico State you really shouldn't talk about how great your conference is.

• To: To Radar
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:28 a.m.

You said: "Too often, USU beats BYU, which is one reason why BYU should play USU".

L.O.L! USU has beaten BYU 2 times since 1978 and the last win was in 1993! How is THAT too often? Wow, I guess everything is relative. All of those "moral victories" you have counted aren't actually victories.

• Paul
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:19 a.m.

Byu is so focused on Turbin and Borrell that Smith and Sawyer are going to have a field day against the slower BYU defense. Also this is going to be the first good performance for Gary's defense that has been under performing all season. Get ready to cry cougy fans!!

USU 45 BYU 38

• re: Rader
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:11 a.m.

Better WAC team? The WAC is horrible with the exception of Boise State. Nevada is a complete bust and looks horrible. Hawaii isn't good at all, Idaho and New Mexico State are consistently at the very bottom of the WAC below USU in fact. So to me USU is just as a threat as any other WAC team besides USU.

USUs offense is better. But the D hasn't improved at all. BYU will score near 40 points against USU. And I think USU will score 21.

• Spidey
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:05 a.m.

Every single one of you make me laugh... First off there is nothing wrong with having a big head... That is called being a fan. Second, lets stop talking and start watching. Anything can happen, on any given Saturday. We have seen this already. And lastly, it doesn't matter if BYU or Utah win every single game by one point. A win, is a win. And I hope Boise St does go undefeated, and goes to a BCS game because that will just show up how warped and messed up the current system is.

• Re: Cougarf@n
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:01 a.m.

Several good points, but I don't recall anyone but BYU fans talking about BYU winning a National Championship. No one else EVER thought that would happen.

• Turbin
    Oct. 1, 2009 9:59 a.m.

So when is Robert Turbin transferring to BYU? Should be soon, I know he'd like to be part of a winning program.

• Aggie Fan
    Oct. 1, 2009 9:52 a.m.

Thanks to Deseret News for a respectable article and to BYU players and coaches for thoughtful comments that at least hint at the fact that they are seriously game planning for the Ags. I am not predicting an Aggie win, but I think it will be an entertaining game and close into the 4th quarter.

• stephen
    Oct. 1, 2009 9:41 a.m.

for the sake of the Mt West BYU needs to win. I have to agree, they have no defense, especially the last 2 games. We lack speed. It's that simple. Someday we'll get that too. This game will be a lot closer than BYU would like it to be. If they can't contain USU's qtrbck, it will be a long night for the defense. USU could upset the Y by 13. If the D shows up, then it can and should be a blowout. One more day, we'll see.

• PJaggiefan
    Oct. 1, 2009 9:03 a.m.

Kudo's to Coach Baldwin and his great offensive schemes, something we have not seen since the early Dennehy years. I think we can roll up yards and points against the cougs, but can we stop them? Here's to a good game. Go Aggies! Oh yeah and calling the ags "bums and stiffs", well just watch that "bum" Robert Turbin steamroll your goofy looking secondary all night.

• Cougarf@n
    Oct. 1, 2009 8:58 a.m.

BYU didn't have dilusions of themselves, those silly little national publications like ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, Sporting News, and Sports Illustrated, the Associated Press and USA Today thought BYU was NC/Heisman/MWC Champ material. Stop trying to pin the hype on BYU. As for the fans, were we really supposed to argue with the hype after BYU had beaten Oklahoma? It's fun to speculate so stop being such a wet blanket. The reality is BYU is probably a good top 20 team this year with the capacity to play great against an outstanding Oklahoma team and poor against an okay FSU team. The FSU game was a good reminder that on any given Saturday anything can happen. One game at a time is great for the players, but the fans have the luxury of losing focus in a week like this one against USU. It's not like BYU pinned a shutout on a ranked UCLA and then got shutout themselves by a horrible UNLV team (Utah 2007).

• What defense?
    Oct. 1, 2009 8:41 a.m.

Nice title! The Cougar defense hasn't been able to contain anybody the past 2 games. FSU and CSU racked up the yards on them.

• Knowwhat
    Oct. 1, 2009 8:30 a.m.

There is one thing that will be for certain in the BYU/USU matchup, USU will have more team speed.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 1, 2009 8:26 a.m.

I think it's going to be a better game than people may think. The problem with BYU is their big heads. If they are focused they will win. If they aren't (which I can see happening)...USU will win. USU is a better and different team than they have been in years. A mobile QB? That's death for BYU. Maybe they should put some red on their jersey's so Max will throw the ball directly to them!

• Anonymous
    Oct. 1, 2009 8:02 a.m.

We've gone from talk of the BCS, National Championship, Heisman Trophy, Conference Champions, to what should be the focus--winning the game one week at a time. I wish BYU would stop having these delusions every season. Some day they'll get it and stop making targets of themselves.

• re: Anonymous
    Oct. 1, 2009 7:39 a.m.

Uh...no. BSU would get rolled by Oklahoma. BYU beat Oklahoma. Boise State plays in a weak conference, BYU does not.
    BYU will destroy Utah State, Boise State will play no one and get a BCS bid. Congratulations.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 1, 2009 7:15 a.m.

All the junior high school kids that think they are BYU fans should go back to their cherios and cartoons (radar).

If you think USU is a walk over opponent this year, you didn't see the Utah or Texas A&M games.

• to: radar
    Oct. 1, 2009 7:09 a.m.

USU players are not bums or stiffs, and BYU is not in the WAC. You say "I'd rather 'player' (sic) a better WAC team than playing these bums every year", so I point out that you don't play them every year, the BYU football team does. Too often, USU beats BYU, which is one reason why BYU should play USU: because USU often has a good team, with the chance they may be even better than BYU, so we should respect them and use the game to build experience and talent to use against the Mountain West Conference teams, so we don't lose to one or more of them as we seem to do every year. BYU was in a similar position to USU, not so long ago.

We don't need to make our rivals worthless to make our team seem better! The value of a victory is only equal to the quality of the opponent; a crummy opponent makes a crummy victory. When BYU beat Tulane, it didn't mean much; their rating stayed the same. When BYU beat Oklahoma, their rocketed ahead in the ratings, because Oklahoma is a quality team. THINK BEFORE WRITING!!

• re: radar
    Oct. 1, 2009 6:55 a.m.

Yeah, why don't you guys schedule Northern Iowa Community College High School again?

• Anonymous
    Oct. 1, 2009 6:33 a.m.

Go Aggies. This is your year to beat arrogant BYU! The win against Oklahoma was a fluke. Boise State is a much better team and would steam roll the Cougars.

• Uh oh
    Oct. 1, 2009 6:20 a.m.

I don't think USU is a good team right now, but they always get up to play BYU. Unless BYU comes out ready to play, and if they do it will be a blowout, USU may be able to steal one. If they beat BYU, or even if the game is close and BYU wins, it is the end of the season for the Y. No confidence and even less leadership will be the result.

• MIke
    Oct. 1, 2009 3:40 a.m.

GO Aggies! BYU is ready to get hit in the chin again!

• radar
    Oct. 1, 2009 2:12 a.m.

Why are BYU playing these bums, USU are a bunch of stiffs, I'd rather player a better WAC team than playing these bums every year.