Sports

Utah Utes football notebook: Replacing Asiata tough task for U.

Comments

• Cougarf@n
    Oct. 1, 2009 1:16 p.m.

Zoobie troll at your service! I agree, lame comment by LV Coug, but I think there have been enough eweties commenting on that already. I don't think Hall will be NFL bound either and I expect a bevy of comments similar to LV Cougs in reverse on BYU boards next year (probably from people currently criticizing LV on this board).

I think the next level smack is stupid, especially since but both Hall and Johnson are great college QBs. Beck and Smith were great college QB's who may never do anything in the NFL besides ride the pine. What happens after college doesn't diminish their accomplishments during college.

Tough break on Asiata, but Wide is a legit RB and Utah will use the bye week to adjust. CSU is tougher than they have been in years so hopefully Utah is prepared next week. I expect a similar score as the BYU game with Utah scoring one fewer TD as cain irons out more of the wrinkles.

Go Cougars!

• re: Quetioning BJ released
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:49 a.m.

"U have ZERO credibility...."

So do your former utah QB's Alex and BJ. I'm sure the 49ers are just so freakin happy they wasted a #1 pick on Alex.

• It's fine
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:38 a.m.

The Shak kid is as good as Asiata. What's the big problem. An average running back is an average running back. Throw anyone in there.

• BJ as
    Oct. 1, 2009 10:35 a.m.

The Utes QB coach, it would be a great opportunity to stay around the team and assist the future QBs of this school to perform

• Questioning BJ released..
    Oct. 1, 2009 6:45 a.m.

How in the world would you know how many notches below any of these leagues are? Have you played in the NFL, CFL, JC, the new league (which has not even started yet)...etc etc etc.. U have ZERO credibility....

• Hey LV COUG:
    Oct. 1, 2009 1:47 a.m.

That was one of the most classless comments I've seen on here. Where is the zoobie troll that keeps track of fans commenting on the wrong articles?

Brian Johnson may not be an NFL quarterback but he was a great college qb and is an outstanding young man. My bet is that Brian get's his chance yet.

Matt, I hope you work hard to get your senior year back. Good luck!!

• This thread isn't....
    Oct. 1, 2009 1:40 a.m.

about hateful Cougar fan(s) taking shots at Brian Johnson, it's about an outstanding student athlete who blew out his ACL and lost his senior season.

My heart goes out to Matt. I hope he is granted a 6th year so his college career can be extended. Tough break Matt, you're a class act.

• @LV Coug
    Sept. 30, 2009 6:46 p.m.

I hope you don't look as dumb as you sound. Brian Johnson is a class act. Many outstanding college players don't hook on with a team on their first try. Maybe his future is in some other endeavor. Show a little class yourself if you can.

• Jake
    Sept. 30, 2009 6:41 p.m.

I am sorry for Matt's bad luck. He is a good running back and a leader. Perhaps he will get another year. In any case, in my book he is a winner.

• re: BJ released
    Sept. 30, 2009 4:00 p.m.

So what? Not sure what your point is. The Utes (and Cougars) are in the business of winning college football games, and not making it at the NFL level does not diminish the accomplishments these guys had at the college level.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Sept. 30, 2009 3:09 p.m.

He is smiling so big in his photo because I made him some cookies.

• BJ released
    Sept. 30, 2009 2:59 p.m.

The United Football League released Brian Johnson? He couldn't even make it in THAT league? That league is several notches BELOW Canadian football and just barely better than JC football. Oh my, how embarrassing. Neither BCS busting QB for the utes is having success after getting out of their tricked up college system. What a shocker.

• Aggies
    Sept. 30, 2009 2:51 p.m.

have more conf. championships than Utah in the last 30 years!! HA HA HA HA HA

• re LVCoug
    Sept. 30, 2009 2:24 p.m.

And who was the MWC offensive player of the year on the 13-0 Sugar Bowl champion team? Hmmmm... was it Maxie Pad? no..... maybe Pitta? no.... oh I remember, It was Brian Johnson, Imagine that.

• re: snow ute
    Sept. 30, 2009 1:52 p.m.

I say we call it the widel-cat!

• Asiata
    Sept. 30, 2009 1:17 p.m.

If he chooses can probably get a sixth year. I've read several posts claiming there is no chance at this, but Whittingham said it is a possibility, as did a friend of mine who works in the athletic department at the U. If Asiata wants to play in the NFL he will need another year in college.

• too bad
    Sept. 30, 2009 12:42 p.m.

It wasn't that he wasn't doing well, it is that the team hired on an ex-NFL qb which I am assuming has to do with the fact that the offensive coordinator that they hired only works with NFL offenses. Spread offense QB's struggle in a pro offense. One day the pro's will pick up the better offense, until then we are stuck with the archaic offense.

• RE: LV COUG
    Sept. 30, 2009 12:31 p.m.

I Hear John Beck is taking protests. If you really want you can sent your protests to Max Halls therapist, he is having trouble keeping the ball out of the defense's hands and a protest about brian johnson might be just what he needs.

• Re: LV COUG
    Sept. 30, 2009 11:55 a.m.

This is the first I have heard of this! This is ridiculous! Maybe he can get picked up in the nfl next season, or try the Canadian Football League, I mean, it is still football...

As for Asiata, I wish for the best. I am a huge Utah fan, and I am saddened to hear this. Good luck, and hopefully you continue to play football at the next level.

• SNOW UTE
    Sept. 30, 2009 11:34 a.m.

They could change the name from "The Asiata Package" to the "Runnin' Ute." What do you think?

• LV COUG
    Sept. 30, 2009 10:16 a.m.

What? the dominant, giant killer, NFL bound, Brian Johnson, got cut from the UFL? Simply unbelievable, where to I file my protest?

• byu fan
    Sept. 30, 2009 8:32 a.m.

Unfortunate news. For him to work so hard and miss out on his senior year makes me feel for him. I hope he can find a way to benefit the team as well as himself through his example and leadership. If we beat the Utes, I want them to be at full strength. Best wishes to Asiata.

• So sad
    Sept. 30, 2009 6:55 a.m.

He's a tough player and a good lookin' kid. It's always horrible to see injuries.