Utah Jazz notebook: Battle for starting forward spot news to Boozer

• Question for those who know
    Sept. 30, 2009 11:58 a.m.

What if you had Boozer start as a small forward, it is my understanding that on the offensive end of the court that Okur likes to play outside, giving room for Milsap and Booze inside and on the defensive end of the court you have Milsap down low which works out better anyway.

• competition
    Sept. 29, 2009 10:39 p.m.

I remember playing athletics in high school and every season each of the starting positions were wide open for anyone freshmen-senior. If you wanted a starting position all you had to do was go out there and prove that you truly deserved that position. How would it be if professional athletes actually played for the love of the game instead of money. (hopefully there are still a lot of professional athletes who play for the love of the game!!!)

• oops
    Sept. 29, 2009 8:43 p.m.

someone's inflated ego is showing. Who starts when you won't play at less than 100%? Do you want to know why we all love Williams and resent you?

• dizzle
    Sept. 29, 2009 8:11 p.m.

Lets just hope he will show up and play like he did the first season with the jazz. or at least until we trade him for bosh man that would be nice.

• Beej
    Sept. 29, 2009 3:45 p.m.

When you are playing and the team is winning, people ARE happy you dufous!!

• billybobjoe
    Sept. 29, 2009 7:32 a.m.

Bozzzzer is like that bad sunflower seed you get in the bag.....Leaves a bad taste in your mouth....

• what a punk
    Sept. 28, 2009 5:55 p.m.

get real booz. You sound like Allen Iverson. you two should play together in Memphis after Sloan hopefully makes you ride the bench and you have no value.

• I am the starter....
    Sept. 28, 2009 5:22 p.m.

Yeah RIGHT.....BOOZER!!

I hope Milsap beats Boozer out.....Booz like sitting on the bench anyway..he has spent half his time in Utah there.........

• Get real
    Sept. 28, 2009 3:53 p.m.

I HATE EVERYTHING about Boozer EXCEPT his offensive talent.

There is not even a discussion who is better offensively between he and Millsap.

Millsap was nearly disabled after he covered for Boozer just part of last season. He could hardly walk. What is he going to do taking that beating all season long? He is too small and can't bang down there for 82 games. His stats will dwindle if he becomes the starter.

As far as I am concerned Millsap can put a sock in it too. He was prepared to come off the bench in Portland (with that big fat contract he got himself) behind LaMarcus Aldridge so why should he have a problem with it here? Hypocrisy.

You all will see--on the offensive end there is nobody that has been better than Boozer in go-to moments and I see no new talent to change that.

D-Will to Booz in the pick n roll is the best offensive weapon this team has and it is not even close.

I still hate Boozer as a person though. You people better learn to get past it though if you want to win any games.

• Anoymous@
    Sept. 28, 2009 2:29 p.m.

Boozer: Try playing some defense if you want the starter position. Big numbers, double doubles is all good but you don't play one iota of defense.
    You're just full of youself when you make noise you're going to shop another team in the off season and your going to do this and do that....I can understand now what happened in Cleveland. You lied to them and misrepresented yourself just so you could get a spot with the Jazz. And I think that was only because Karl Malone was your idol. You want to know something Boozer, you'll never be like him, he had more class.

• jazz fan
    Sept. 28, 2009 2:04 p.m.

Millsap deserves to start, he works harder than boozer, and everybody knows it.

• we did better when you were out!
    Sept. 28, 2009 1:50 p.m.

Maybe Boozer remembers things differently but our biggest win streak of the season was when he was out. So when he says we would have got a higher seed in the playoffs if he didn't have to miss games, I'm not buying it. Thanks though.

Hope that somehow paying more for the same team will result in more wins, but i'm doubting it.

• Don't let the door hit you on...
    Sept. 28, 2009 12:46 p.m.

When exactly did Boozer "earn the starting job?"? Two years ago when he said he would shop the free agent market because he was "definitely getting a raise"? This year when he said he couldn't wait to play for Chicago/Miami? Or did he earn it by missing more than a third of the Jazz's total games over the past few years?

The only thing he's earned is Utah (and Cleveland's) eternal disdain. And maybe a movie role as a Sasquatch.

• Dallas
    Sept. 28, 2009 12:36 p.m.

Haha... Boozer... the problem isn't just you being "Hurt" if that is what you want to call it. I think the problem is that you are lazy on both offense and defense. Your defense has to be the absolute WORST in the NBA for a big man. You prefer to take more outside shots instead of doing your job of going hard to the basket.

Boozer can't be traded soon enough. The guy is about the worst team player anyone could have.

• Nicolo Q.
    Sept. 28, 2009 12:09 p.m.

Just trade Carlos. The man is full of himself. I would love to see Millsap starting than Boozer. He would disrupt the Jazz's team chemistry.

• Jazz Cop
    Sept. 28, 2009 11:25 a.m.

Please, someone take boozers foot out of his mouth. I'm glad he's on the roster, he's going to help us, but let's look at his record of predictions, he says the jazz are going to make a run for the championship last year, of course, after he got healthy, ok? Not to mention his payraise, his trades, not that it matters much, but he might be getting less than one or two minutes a game, and in that case, for his own sake, let's hope he's practicing how to put a sock in it. He could be in all star form too, which is good for him and the jazz, but that's no garuantee, and boozers garuantees are empty speculations. My advice for Boozer, make no garuantees no predicitions, no talking about the future period.

• Loozer Boozer
    Sept. 28, 2009 11:11 a.m.

Well looks like we have another cry-baby Boozer. What a pain. In my experience in coaching this sort of attitude is exactly what you look to get rid of. GO AWAY BOOZER!

• IDjazz12
    Sept. 28, 2009 9:52 a.m.

We all know that Jerry is just side stepping the questions until opening day when he announces who the starters are and we are guaranteed that it will be guys who do not deserve it or have earned it.

We seen this with CJ starting all of last year and had no impact. We seen Boozer inserted back into the starting lineup and we watched us plummet to the eight seed. We seen Knight(cant hit the side of the barn) in front of Price.

Does not matter who is the better player in Utah because Sloan will start a snail if he likes him.

• Andrew Zaelit
    Sept. 28, 2009 9:44 a.m.

Boozer on his role as a starter,

"I think I've earned that. That's the only role I've been in my whole career."

Boozer on sharing time,

“he'd be open to yielding some of his minutes to Millsap”

And Boozer on sacrifice,

“I think I can make that sacrifice for the betterment of the group."

This is clearly a player who is in denial and is deluded. Mr. Boozer you will play the role the Mr. Sloan says that you will play. I might also humbly remind you that you are in a contract year. The best advice you can get is going to be this fine quote from Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson,

“Know your role and shut your mouth.”

The best way to earn a starting roster spot is to show up in shape and be ready to play. Stay healthy for an entire season. Finally be the 25 point, 10 rebound player that you were paid to be and stop telling anyone who will listen how great you think you are. Winning erases many stupid decisions and many stupid statements.

• Tom C
    Sept. 28, 2009 9:24 a.m.

Boozer is clueless.

• PurplePeopleEater
    Sept. 28, 2009 8:36 a.m.

A lot of things are news to Boozer, but he doesn't read the news, so he is generally clueless.

Still, he's the best overall power forward the Jazz have right now.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 28, 2009 7:10 a.m.

Jerry Sloan will decide who plays based on what is best for the team. J Slo won't play politics - he wants to win. That said, Booz does play the role of being naive very well when he wants to.

• TwoEndsOfTheCourt
    Sept. 28, 2009 2:08 a.m.

How about giving more minutes to the players who cause the most favorable point differential from their combined efforts on both offense AND defense--just like it should be?

• what a nice guy
    Sept. 28, 2009 12:44 a.m.

i can't believe what a nice guy boozer is. i mean, how many guys in the nba who spent their summer saying how happy they'd be to be anywhere but utah would be so nice to come back, claim the starter's spot without any evidence for deserving it, and give up a whole TWO MINUTES to help the team win? wow, boozer, you're my hero (note the EXTREME sarcasm)

• dave
    Sept. 28, 2009 12:39 a.m.

i can't believe boozer would even have the guts to start claiming he deserves to be the starter and acting like it's owed to him or something. after flapping his mouth all summer long, he should be glad to have a job at all. the guy can play offense adequately, when he isn't hurt, and basically nothing else. i seriously am starthing to think a screw is loose in his head! how can anyone in his position be dictating what should happen with the Jazz? i say trade the guy, and good riddence. seriously, can you believe this guy?!? boozer fans out there, i pity you, cause he's got you hoodwinked! the only team boozer cares about is team boozer! i say trade boozer!!!

• Want to be the starter?
    Sept. 27, 2009 11:20 p.m.

If you want to be the starter than start acting like a leader of this team. Act like it is more than a paycheck. Stop talking about how you would rather be somewhere else. You are the one who decided to stay when you could have left. There was never a doubt of if Karl Malone would start because you knew he was the best and would give you his best in a game. When I and most fans see you play there isn't that same thought. I don't know which boozer will show up.

You are a power that is amazing when you want it enough.

• Honest Truth
    Sept. 27, 2009 10:59 p.m.

The Jazz were doing much better last year before Boozer started playing starter minutes. Booze is better on offense, but Millsap is better at rebounding and defense. Probably about sixes, but Millsap is still getting better and plays harder so he has the more upside except for the fact we need to showcase Booze so we can trade him before the deadline.

• Milsap: Never an allstar
    Sept. 27, 2009 10:31 p.m.

The only people who bring up Milsap starting is the media.

• Starting or Finishing
    Sept. 27, 2009 10:07 p.m.

Let Boozer start. Let him feel like he is the "main man". I like the idea of who will be on the court the last 10 minutes of the game, when 90% of NBA games are determined. You can tell by the 4th quarter who wants to play, and who wants to be introduced as the starting PF. D-Will, AK, Brewer, Korver and Okur are usually on the court at the end. No stats, just a "W".

• delusional
    Sept. 27, 2009 9:24 p.m.

People thinking Millsap should start over Boozer they don't understand the NBA. I love 'Sap but Boozer is legit, Paul works hard and does fine.

• Go Boozer!
    Sept. 27, 2009 8:56 p.m.

I agree, Booze is the starter...when he's not injured!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means he might start about 5 games?

• An Asian Perspective
    Sept. 27, 2009 8:25 p.m.

Boozer might pile up better stats than Paul. But that's about it. Boozer cannot make other players better. And Paul is a far better defender. I prefer Paul starting along with Okur and AK. They seem to click pretty well on the offensive end.

• Re: Bryce
    Sept. 27, 2009 7:44 p.m.

Don't presume to speak for the "fans" dude, let alone me!! I value what Boozer brings to the floor and I'm guessing I'm not alone.

• Done
    Sept. 27, 2009 7:28 p.m.

This season is already a disappointment. I'll start following the Jazz again when Loozer is gone.

I've said it before, 80% of the players in this league could score 20 each night if they are selfish or the coach call plays for them. In Loozer case he is selfish and the coach calls plays for him. Crap, CJ could score 25 each night if they called plays for him. We get too caught up in numbers. Loozer is terrible for team basketball. BENCH HIM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

• Jake
    Sept. 27, 2009 7:15 p.m.

"But mom, he started it"

"It's mine, I saw it first"

"No fair! I want the green cup"

"I was starter first. I don't want to share. It's mine"

"If you don't give it to me, I'm leaving"

2 days in and he's already destroying the chemistry. What did we expect anyway? Is there no limit to the distance down his throat this Loozer can stick his own foot?

• Wiley Old School
    Sept. 27, 2009 7:12 p.m.

"oh... did I say that out loud?"

On the plus side, at least he acknowledged that there might actually be a competition for the position. Maybe a degree of progress afterall?

• play some D
    Sept. 27, 2009 7:03 p.m.

Boozer got to play some D in order for him to be as starter, that's the competition he has to face against Millsap

• Thorvald
    Sept. 27, 2009 6:05 p.m.

This goes to show that Boozer never knows when to shut up.

• Sorry Booz
    Sept. 27, 2009 6:04 p.m.

It's not just about ability and seniority. It's also about attitude and leadership. I for one, hope you have the qualities you need to start, but you need to show it.

• Bryce
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:54 p.m.

I am fairly confident that the majority of Jazz fans out there would support me in saying that we would rather have someone starting who actually cares about winning and who isn't going to miss 50% of the games this season. I can't believe that boozer said that "he thinks he earned it". Unreal! Explain to me Carlos, how did you earn it? Do you leave it all out on the court every night? Do you play defense? How often do you miss games? Also, when you finally do come back from injury (after missing 30 games) you totally screw up the team's chemistry. You have been nothing but negative for the Jazz and the fans DON'T WANT YOU!!!

• Ah, come again?
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:53 p.m.

Boozer says "I've earned it?" Which part of last season did I miss? I know how much of it Boozer missed, and any objective observer would conclude that Millsap earned it, not Boozer. What a chronic idiot this guy is. Absolutely no sense of self-awareness.

• Jazz Fan
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:46 p.m.

And thus it begins....

• It would be .....
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:44 p.m.

a bit ironic to see the booze religated to the bench in favor of Milsap. Not saying Milsap should get it but I do think he has the edge in the "who deserves it" battle. And one thing is for sure, he will continue to earn it evey minute he is on the floor. He gets my vote.

• JazzFan
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:43 p.m.

Boozer should have to work up like the rest of them and defend the millions he makes. I'd love to see Millsap take the lead. He didn't make off season comments that he wanted to be traded like Boozer did. Millsap deserves the start. Maybe Boozer could learn something about playing for a "Team" vs. "I'm the starter."

• Oh Boy
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:43 p.m.

I am sick of Boozer. He really probably should be the starter, but he doesn't need to be a jerk about it.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:41 p.m.

Wow! After everything that has happened, he has the arrogance to make that comment?! Wow! I hope he doesn't start, just to show him that he does not call the shots!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:40 p.m.

Sorry Booze, but until you show some effort on defense, you will be backing up Millsap.

• JazzFan
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:38 p.m.

If booz starts, then the jazz have no chance at the playoffs at all! boo to boozer!

• Correction
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:36 p.m.

I'm sorry Mr. Boozer, but starter is not the only role you have known during your career. I think you have been a great cheerleader from behind the bench for much of your time in Utah. I do agree that you should start though, at least until you get injured 10 games into the season. Then the players that want to be on this team can take over.

• Lots of you will
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:35 p.m.

continue to bash on Boozer, but that's the attitude you want from him - "I'm the starter!" If Milsap, or anyone else, wants it, they're going to have to earn it; just the way it should be.

• Seriously?
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:32 p.m.

I have always been a starter so I deserve to still be a starter? Hows about you play like a starter???

• Jayson
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:30 p.m.

Boozer may want to look around the league at all the players who could be starters but who are coming off the bench. Just because your the best offensive player at a position on the team doesn't always translate into that person being the starter.

• Matt
    Sept. 27, 2009 5:27 p.m.

Millsap did a good job filling in, but lets remember a healthy Boozer is so much better than Millsap.

Millsap was just barely getting the pick and roll down when Boozer came back in to the picture. And the Jazz can't run the offense out of the post with Millsap.

I love Millsap and I kind of resent Boozer, but Boozer is better.