Scott D. Pierce: 'Modern Family' is best new comedy this fall

Comments

• Traci
    Jan. 7, 2010 1:07 p.m.

I'm also shocked by the comments. If you have beliefs, then your actions should follow your beliefs (ie turn off the show), but that doesn't mean you should expect everyone else to hold the same beliefs.

Anyway, as for the show, I think Modern Family is pretty good. But I think it tries too hard to be something for everyone and despite people complaining about the gay couple, I see a lot of same old, same old with this comedy. I can barely stand the "traditional" family with the "uncool" dad and stereotypic children. Been there, seen that...many times.

My favorite comedy focusing on family this season is The Middle. Yes, there is a lack of gay couples, but as someone from the Midwest who has struggled paycheck to paycheck and come from a community where everyone's children do not look and sound like Hollywood clones, the series hits home. And the father actually shows some decent parenting skills, despite the shortcomings that I think all of us as parents have every now and then.

• southwick
    Sept. 29, 2009 12:39 p.m.

Hilarious show, and easily the funniest show I have seen so far this season.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 25, 2009 5:28 p.m.

This is by far the funniest show I have seen in a LONG time.

• Seejaye
    Sept. 25, 2009 2:52 p.m.

As a straight caucasian, I can't believe the bigotry I'm seeing on this site. Yes, it's bigotry, plain and simple. This was the same rationale used for arguing against mixed-race marriages sometime back. Someone's already refuted the ridiculous "animal" comparison, so I won't bother with that.

As for "brothers & sisters," such couplings biologically result in problems for offspring. And ongoing studies show that there are psychological issues with people wanting to marry a sibling, which is not the case with gays.

As for polygamy: there tend to be issues of jealousy and resentment when it's not one person devoted exclusively to another, so there's NO equivalence between that and two people devoted to one another.

• MosesStone1980
    Sept. 24, 2009 10:26 a.m.

@ Ummm... fair enough, maybe they will write in a brother and sister couple that happened to fall in love during their journey together as children, teenagers, and post-teen years. Maybe one day we can "normalize" that type of love as well.

Besides, with your rationalization, there is no reason polygamy shouldn't be normal.

• I'm Watching
    Sept. 23, 2009 5:02 p.m.

I am a married LDS man who will be watching and (hopefully) laughing. Just because that isn't the lifestyle that we advocate, it doesn't mean that we can't understand and appreciate the good that comes from it and learn from where others (and ourselves) fall short and how we can all work together to get better. It's pretty hard to understand another's point of view if all you do is shut your eyes and pretend that only your point of view is valid and everything else is EVIL.

Here's the reality - despite what you would like, not everyone is going to be LDS and you will get much more accomplished if you accept that and love them anyway, and try to understand.

• No Wonder
    Sept. 23, 2009 3:39 p.m.

Best new comedy? It's no wonder Americans are getting dumber by the minute. I haven't watched anything but news for years. Why sit on the couch and fill my head full of meaningless nonsense. I have better things to do.

• Hoosier Coug
    Sept. 23, 2009 3:13 p.m.

Since homosexuality is such a discussed topic, why is it wrong for Hollywood to have a gay couple on television? If you do not like it, do not watch it.

I much prefer for the discussion on a show that is clearly intended for adults. I for one, will be watching the show. If it becomes preachy or overly political, I will stop watching.

• ssbp
    Sept. 23, 2009 2:28 p.m.

K this is tv, its not like they are forcing anyone to watch this, if you dont want your children to see a gay couple than dont let them watch it. For everyone else, like me, who is curios to see a gay couple raise a child this is interesting. Obviously gay couples raising children is not going to be going away any time soon, its just going to become more popular and pretty soon normal, I think everyone should see this, it might help people to realize gay couples are just as caring as everyone else. Honestly I love Utah but there are to many close minded people here, we arent in the 19th century anymore, things are going to change, if they arent harming anyone I dont understand why they cant be accepted.

• Reality bites
    Sept. 23, 2009 1:55 p.m.

If anyone was to treat any gay guy as they do on these TV shows, they'd be labeled very 'intolerant' by the gay clubs. Because Hollywood does it, however, it is acceptable. And if anyone voice an opinion that they'll probably not be interested in the show, they'll be labeled homophobic. Nice to have all the angles of discrimination in your corner, isn't it?

• Next Generation is way funnier!
    Sept. 23, 2009 1:12 p.m.

With such TV programing, I am grateful I like to read. These days I have been doing much more of this because TV and movies have become so infected with crummy so-called "best new comedy" shows.

Today's review and promotion of this modern entertainment makes you wonder what has happened to the values meter at the Deseret News. Probably they are just trying to show their politically correct "diversity and tolerance".

As for me and my house, its good books(currently reading the Federalist Papers). And if I want a good laugh, I just go play with the Next Generation (my children and grandchildren). They always have a great joke to tell and my faith in the future is restored.

• SLH
    Sept. 23, 2009 12:35 p.m.

This looks funny. Yay, I love new shows.

• The real reason...
    Sept. 23, 2009 11:21 a.m.

Hollywood likes to put gay characters on because it makes them appear tolerant and diverse. Percentage wise, there are still FAR more whites on TV than are reflected in the census in this country. But instead of actually getting diverse and hiring black, latino, asian, or native american actors, writers, and directors, they throw a gay character on there and say "Hey! We're diverse! Look at this white guy! He's playing a gay dude, so it's different." And...that was a really long run-on sentence.

• Once again
    Sept. 23, 2009 10:45 a.m.

The most "traditional family" in this sitcom has a bumbling father figure. This is becoming the tradition on sitcoms. "while Phil wants desperately to be a "cool" dad – and is, thus, incredibly uncool". What's new about this on the sitcom circuit? Maybe we went to far with "fathers know best" but the pendulum has swung too far the other way. I hope the open season on tradition fathers will end soon. They have become the butt of sarcastic jokes on prime time television. Where is the tolerance here? No respect. I will not watch another sitcom where traditional dad is the scape goat for cheap jokes and is portrayed as the unelightened baffoon...

• Texas Gal - part 2
    Sept. 23, 2009 10:20 a.m.

I won't be watching the show either! :)

• Texas Gal
    Sept. 23, 2009 10:19 a.m.

I have to agree with "blah" & "i can imagine". By making a homosexual couple appear normal, it is confusing our children to what is morally correct. While I oppose the gay lifestyle & gay marriage, if the person is in all other areas of their life up-standing, then what they do in the privacy of their bed room is not my business.

• RE: Sighing Softly
    Sept. 23, 2009 10:12 a.m.

And it will still be morally wrong. Must be nice to have a crystal ball.

• Please
    Sept. 23, 2009 9:48 a.m.

Bring back Little House On The Prairie,we need good wholesome entertainment

• Ummm
    Sept. 23, 2009 9:43 a.m.

RE: horse and woman couple

A horse is not a consenting adult.

• Huh?
    Sept. 23, 2009 9:40 a.m.

Why does the topic of homosexuality always get the most comments on this website?

For people who don't approve of it, they sure like to talk about it a lot.

• AHHHHH
    Sept. 23, 2009 9:16 a.m.

When will Hollywood get a clue

• MosesStone1980
    Sept. 23, 2009 9:14 a.m.

It will be cool when they write in a horse and woman couple; and make THEM the most "conservative" "traditional" family. Fiction can be fun.

• Sighing Softly to the River
    Sept. 23, 2009 8:55 a.m.

"The desensitization of the American public to homosexuality being immoral is just another way to bring down a great country. It is wrong."

No, not really. But you keep telling yourself that. Fifty years from now you and John Charity Spring will be utterly devastated to find that homosexuality is pretty widely accepted by the public AND that America is still great. Too bad for you.

• Albatross
    Sept. 23, 2009 8:51 a.m.

"Their form of tolerance is cramming it down every bodies throat until no one complains anymore."

You know, tolerance for other people's beliefs shouldn't have to involve hiding away from people who may be offended. "I don't mind if they're gay, I just don't want them to go anywhere I can see them!"

Yes, Virginia, it really is you who is intolerant.

• John Charity Spring
    Sept. 23, 2009 8:22 a.m.

ewt is on the right track, but has apparently forgotten that this is a modern phenomenon. Historically, the entertaiment industry focused on promoting wholesome values such as morality, honesty, and self-control. All persons, regardless of their backgrounds, should be disgusted by the constant lack of morals displayed by the modern entertainment industry. This immorality is devastating our entire society, not just members of one background.

• had enough a long time ago
    Sept. 23, 2009 7:02 a.m.

Why is it that the writers in Hollywood feel they have to have a homosexual couple in every show? So much for tolerance. Their form of tolerance is cramming it down every bodies throat until no one complains anymore. I hardly watch TV anymore and will be watching none of this garbage.

• Theologically-based truth
    Sept. 23, 2009 5:43 a.m.

Ok, Reality, if marriage is just theological, then the government should stop issuing marriage licenses altogether.

• Albemar
    Sept. 23, 2009 1:17 a.m.

Five for 5 haven't seen the show, but don't like it. Some stating that because there is a gay couple on the show it must be bad. Sounds like they have "Pre-Judged" the show without knowing the facts.

It is no surprise that readers here would not enjoy a show that includes a cross section of America and includes more than just the "Cleavers".

Don't watch it, you might be exposed to other types of people and actually laugh and enjoy it... but not likely.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 22, 2009 11:42 p.m.

i'm not going to waste my time watching people put each other down and call it a comedy. Degrading people even as a joke is NOT FUNNY. I don't watch much tv anymore because there is too much trash such as this on it.

• Reality
    Sept. 22, 2009 10:36 p.m.

If they are going to write in a same-sex then they are INVITING people to share their opinions and facts. The reality is that marriage IS NOT A RIGHT it is a status. Stop with the second-class citizens and realize that not everyone is endowed with the right to marry. Marriage is not a socially-constructed idea but a theologically based truth. When people trivialize this fact they are open to criticism as well as Lady Gaga's praise. After all, some of the same-sex community are the loudest complainers of tolerant people by far.

• i can imagine...
    Sept. 22, 2009 9:42 p.m.

... this is the best/funniest new comedy on TV. Which is why I stopped watching TV years ago.

• blah
    Sept. 22, 2009 8:57 p.m.

• ewt
    Sept. 22, 2009 8:52 p.m.

Inasmuch as network TV is the cesspool of mass entertainment, having this show designated as the best new comedy by Scott, is akin to being named the best looking life boat on the Titanic.