Utah

LDS Church publishes new Spanish-language Bible

Translation praised for adding clarity and depth

Comments

• ManlyMan
    March 15, 2010 10:55 a.m.

Finally, now our Spanish friends can fully benefit from the word.

And by the way, So Happy and Don, I believe the NWT is considered a very well translated bible. I'm not gonna say I fully agree with it, but its quite interesting how it has taken the responsibility to transliterate the tetragrammaton into English. I know of very few translation that have actually restored the name Jehovah in the Old Testament. Even the King James bible fails to do so, only using quite a few times. And even the newer revised versions have eliminated it. It may not be too important to some, but if you think about it, to make an almost perfect, or at least most accurate translation, you must actually translate the Old Testament correctly, never removing or excluding names. Why has the King James version taken the liberty to substitute the name Jehovah with LORD, over and over again??? You guys want to talk accurate, than let's be accurate.

Oh, and why hans't the LDS church made its own translation?? We could benefit from it greatly!!!

• Ricki
    March 15, 2010 10:46 a.m.

Sounds great! Now the spanish speakers can fully take advantage of the scriptures.

But it's still questionable, since the Book of Mormon itself was not originally the "most correct" of books. I mean, even the Kings James version was found to contain many faults early in the 20th century. And when revised, so too had the Book of Mormon taken revision. Aside from the fact that, quoting extensively from the King James Version, it too was written in a Shakespearean form, which by the time was already archaic itself. Considering that the book lifts more than 20,000 words directly from the King James Version, it astonishes that it was purportedly full or errors, something Smith undertook to revise. Of course, his widow kept the manuscripts, so the LDS church does not use it.

I just find it odd that if the Book of Mormon can't contain errors, or is perfect, than why has it, and the other revelations, taken revision over the years?? Maybe not today, but quite a while back??????

• colterbret
    Oct. 26, 2009 3:13 p.m.

cycles reductions possibly stance intensity thousand due institute

• Miryelle Resek
    Sept. 18, 2009 5:00 p.m.

Psh... Erick. He was my dad first!

• Vince
    Sept. 15, 2009 9:15 p.m.

What took so long?

Any bible translation, editing, etc. takes years.

Even with computers, etc.

The 1981 version of the English scriptures took years.

The Bible history, every major version since it was translated to German and then to English took years.

At that, they needed to collect the adequate Bible scholars for every single Bible translation.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 15, 2009 10:25 a.m.

What took so long? Aren't the majority of mormons native Spanish-speakers?

• Politics From Religion
    Sept. 15, 2009 9:33 a.m.

There are some members of the Church who seem to plays political views over the Church. I suppose it has always been the case as more liberal members struggled mightily with black-Priesthood issues. You need to humble yourself and recognize that the words of the Prophet and the direction of the Church should ALWAYS replace your political views. If the Church creates Spanish speaking wards and wants its Spanish speaking members to have the same scripture studying experience as English speaking members then that is the end. Keep your immigration/political views out of the Church/spiritual discussion.

• @America=English
    Sept. 15, 2009 5:53 a.m.

You show how ignorant you really are. The Spanish Bible is for the ENTIRE global church not just those who are Spanish speaking in the United States. And it will be used by missionaries who take the word to all the world. GROW UP AND APPRECIATE DIVERSITY!

• poq
    Sept. 15, 2009 2:52 a.m.

This is great news!
    The Mormon cross references now included will be an amazing tool for Spanish speaking members and investigators to really dig deep and study all the scriptures.

I'm excited, I think I might pick one up myself.
    I've read the Bible in English and Spanish and to be honest, I actually prefer the Spanish version. It's much easier to read and understand even as a second language.

• Re: Non-believer
    Sept. 14, 2009 9:08 p.m.

I sincerely say that I feel for you. If there is no God, than what is the point of this life?

You are completely right, there is no scientific proof that any of this stuff existed. However, it seems to be human nature to want to believe in something. While I may never prove my religion to be true, I believe that it is. I find strength in the hard times, and reason in all the rest.

I know that it sounds naive, but as I try to live the principles that I have been taught, I truly feel that there is more to this life than what we can prove, and this faith has gotten me through a lot.

• Vince
    Sept. 14, 2009 8:07 p.m.

A welcome addition to the cannon of Spanish scripture.

So much to read withe the cross references.

And when you compare Spanish KVJ with the Reina-Valera, they share common traits with subtle differences, all which add to the understanding of the entire Bible as a whole.

Excellent, just excellent.

• B
    Sept. 14, 2009 4:16 p.m.

Got one today!

• Alejandro
    Sept. 14, 2009 4:02 p.m.

Thank you for the great news! As LDS I've been waiting for this for the last 33 years I've been an LDS member. I know that the Church put a great deal of resources into this project and countrles hours, numbers of translators, readers, linguists, etc. Thanks be to God who allowed this project to take place and to the leaders of the Church for their great vision. Non-LDS Biblie lovers, shouldn't be worried, the LDS Church didn't adapt the Bible to fit the Church's points of doctrine. It already did! The Reina-Valera is the most universaly accepted translation in Spanish just as the King James is the most accepted and revered English Version. In fact, it's possible that Casiodoro de Reina participated in the translation of the King James, which is "younger" than the Spanish version. The other major Spanish translations, generally accepted by Christian organizations are the Bible of Jerusalem (Catholic), the Living Bible (Evangelical paraphrases) and the Jehova Witness' version. The LDS Church employed the 1906 free version as the 1960 is copyrighted by the Ameerican Biblical Society.

• Erick Resek
    Sept. 14, 2009 2:39 p.m.

That's my dad!

• shawilli
    Sept. 14, 2009 2:22 p.m.

I am wondering why it took so long 30 years after the standard works with references and headings were released for the english version. I think that this project will have a positive impact on spanish speaking members, but if I were a "Lamanite" I would be wondering why did it take so long?

• Clarification and Perspective
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:57 p.m.

"phillip | 1:04 p.m. Sept. 14, 2009
    Interesting for a religious sect who rates the Bible as the 5th most important scripture of their dogma. (1)anything the prophet or GA's say, (2) Book of Mormon, (3) D & C, (4) Pearl of GP, and (5) Bible (as far as it is translated correctly.

Look it up!"

No need look it up. I've been an active LDS member for 36 years. Two corrections for you "phillip"....

First, the LDS members do not put what any/every "GA" (General Authority) says ahead of the Bible. "General Authorities" hold a lot of sway in the LDS church but they are nowhere near the influence of the living prophet.

Second, you seem to think it odd that the LDS church puts so much effort into printing a Spanish Bible, though we do teach and believe that it (the Bible) does not sometimes as accurately communicate the teachings of God as does other books of sacred scripture (Book of Mormon, etc).

My question to you is, does your hiearchy of scriptural "correctness" mean we esteem the Bible lightly or that we simply hold in higher regard other books of scripture?

• re Joseph
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:46 p.m.

Um, this is an article about the Spanish Bible, not Glenn Beck.

But for what its worth, Glenn is not a republican, he's a libertarian, if you actually listened to him, you would know that he constantly tells people not to resort to violence and you would know that tells people not to rely on his word alone, but find the truth for themselves.

• Bill
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:41 p.m.

To Phillip:

Phillip your reasoning is false. The Articles of Faith that you are using as reasoning are not in sequential order. We simply state that We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in his son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. The fourth article states that We believe the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are First, Fain in the Lord Jesus Christ, Second Repentance, Third Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, fourth laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    The fifth states We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophesy and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

The eight article states emphatically, We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. The ninth states We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

• Jaime
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:39 p.m.

Que bueno!

• cadiz1982
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:17 p.m.

• RE: John Pack Lambert
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:08 p.m.

"This is exciting" but are the notes and cross references honest; The NIV Modern translation notes that(Luke 22:43,44)is not in earlier and better manusripts around 350 AD,the earliest this was added was around 650 AD. Christians translations are straight forward. These verses are troulbing for LDS due to some beleive the atonement was partially or fully done in the Garden.
    How about (Mark 16:9-20)Does the Modern Spanish translation point these are not in earlier and better manuscripts, around 350 AD, They added around 600 AD.
    When I get a copy I will look at the translation for myself.

• phillip
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:04 p.m.

Look it up!

• RE: 12:15p.m.
    Sept. 14, 2009 12:46 p.m.

Thank you for your reasoned and thoughtful response regarding America=English. "English-only" is a vexed and vexing topic, to be sure. Thank you for highlighting some of the complexity and nuances of that issue.

I congratulate the church in its efforts to provide this new translation for its members.

• RE: America=English
    Sept. 14, 2009 12:15 p.m.

As to the earlier comment about america=english, I have to address your concern. Yes, learning english while living in the USA is a tremendous blessing. However, as stated in the revelations (see D&C 90:11), everyone has the right to hear the gospel in their own language--without respect to the country they live in. I can speak from personal family experience in this matter. My wife emigrated to this country years ago and was dilligent in learning english, but her spirituality suffered for many months when she could not participate or testify of the gospel in a way to fully express herself. Being in a language-specific unit has been a great blessing for us.

I would also point out the numerous units of the church for servicemen & families overseas that are english-speaking. Why not attend the native-speaking units and have them "learn" as you say for 3 hrs? I invite you to come to any of the language-specific units for a month. Then at the end, test your knowledge of that language and also how much you've been spiritually fed. I think it might change your perspective a great deal...

• BP in TX
    Sept. 14, 2009 12:05 p.m.

I received a copy from distribution this week. The JST is included in the appendix. There is no TG or BD included, however, but the triple combination already has the "Guia para el Estudio de las Escrituras", which would be similar to a compendium of the TG and BD. As one who works directly with Hispanic saints, I am very excited about this new version.

• Yea from AZ
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:59 a.m.

As a branch president in Casa Grande, I'm thrilled to have this useful tool to make studying the scriptures easier and more effective.
    I love seeing the growth of spanish speaking members around the world.
    Their love of family and family time, and respect for parents is a perfect fit with gospel priorities.
    Thanks to all who studied and sacrificed to make this work as accurate as possible.
    !Que dicha!

• Non Believer
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:57 a.m.

What does it matter anyway? It is all based on folklore, myth and superstition. There is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE to support the Book of Genesis or the story of Noah and the flood. Nor is there ANY evidence to support the story of Moses and the Israelits. Same goes for the divinity of Jesus. You are all just deluding yourselves. This is no more exciting than a new version of Star Trek.

• belcher 41
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:47 a.m.

America-English. It clearly states in the scriptures that you will be taught the gospel in your native language. That is why there are so many branches in different languages in the U.S. It's not to keep them from learning English. You'd be surprised how many speak English very well, but want to go to church and learn in Spanish. About 5 years ago Elder Ballard said that in 20 years in the salt lake valley there will be English speaking wards in Spanish speaking stakes. Everyone shall hear the gospel in there own tongue.

• RE: Andrew
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:33 a.m.

God chose Hebrew and Greek to communicate to humans,not Latin French or Spanish. Reading the scriptures in the orignial languages is a blessing,you get a more understanding of the richness of the Jewishness of sthe Bible.

• RE: So Happy RE: Don
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:26 a.m.

"Cross references",Does the new Spanish translation cross reference(John 7:53-8.11)"A woman taken in adultry" NIV note, This is not found in the earliest and best manuscripts 350 AD or in Papyri 66,or75, 150 AD. Added between 600 to 700 AD.

"For example one version now exist where the idea of diety is removed from the Bible." Which version are you talking about? If you name it I will read the Greek and respond. The NWT is a the Jehovahs Witness Bible and they do deny Christs diety,anybody with any knowlege of Greek can see this counterfit.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:07 a.m.

Also, this article made no mention of the joseph smith translations, was this left out?

• c almond
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:05 a.m.

Maybe now the church can look into making a modern, updated, lds translation of the English bible. The king James bible also has terms which are archaic and now considered offensive. Modern scholarship and discoveries have greatly enhanced our understanding of what the earliest manuscripts said and it is time the lds church benefits from this as most of Christian denominations have for decades. If the king james version was perfect, they would have merely translated that into spanish, but as this article indicates, even church leaders recognize there is room for improvement.

• John Pack Lambert
    Sept. 14, 2009 11:04 a.m.

This is quite exciting.
    That said, I am trying to learn more about Enrique Resek. So far I have learned he is from Argentina. I also learned his paternal grandfather was a native of Lebanon.
    What I really am trying to find out is how long he has been working for the Church's translation department and if he worked under the father of Church translation, Eduardo Balderas.
    For those who know not the great Eduardo Balderas, I would reccomend doing a search of the Church's website and hunting down the great article "Translating faith into service".
    Eduardo Balderas translated many hymns into Spanish, worked on the translation of the Doctrine and Covenants into Spanish along with Rey L. Pratt, and Brother Balderas was the translator of the Pearl of Great Price into Spanish. As early as about 1949 the Church News had an article on Brother Balderas written by Gordon B. Hinckley, and Brother Balderas translated many talks by Harold B. Lee and Spencer W. Kimball at area conferences in Latin America.
    He also worked with Antoine R. Ivins on the first translation of the temple ceremony.

• Andrew
    Sept. 14, 2009 10:59 a.m.

I am very excited about this. Long over due. Thank you. Thank you. Muchas gracias. I will buy a copy this week. The need for one text is great and the cross references will make studying easier.

As for the concept of Spanish units. In the Spanish branch where I attend there is plenty of English spoken therein(a shocking amount) and often translators avaiable for English predominant speakers.

To paraphrase Rockfeller, "French is the language of diplomacy, English of business and Spanish the language with which to speak with God". That feels right to me.

• Captain Kirk
    Sept. 14, 2009 10:49 a.m.

This is Great. Now Spanish speakers should be able to get a Quad and x-refs. I wonder if they put JST notes in it?

@ YAY | 10:17 a.m. Sept. 14, 2009
    Local newspapers serve the local community. This community happens to be predominantly LDS.

It is not surprising that there is a lot of news about Mormons.

• Yea, You're Clueless!
    Sept. 14, 2009 10:47 a.m.

"YAY | 10:17 a.m. Sept. 14, 2009
    more news about mormons."

Hey, guess what?

You live in a state FOUNDED by Mormons.

Or....you CHOSE to read an on-line newspaper owned by the LDS church.

And yet there are LDS-oriented articles here?

I know, it's a shocker, isn't it?.....

• Don
    Sept. 14, 2009 10:46 a.m.

@RE: AZ Girl

Perhaps she was referring to the numerous attempts to rewrite the Bible to fit a particular group's agena. For example, one version now exists where the identity of deity is compeltely removed throughout the Bible.

Ironically, it's the LDS who have been pointing out for over 150 years that the Bible, while inspired and very valuable, is not a perfect book. Good to see that you're on board.

• america=english
    Sept. 14, 2009 10:38 a.m.

I think it's a great thing for the church to haev put out it's own version of the bible in spanish. I do not favor the growing number of spanish branches and wards in the state however. Should we not encourage people to learn english and improve their positions in this county? One way to improve english skills is to attend 3 hours of church meetings in english every week. I imagine it would do wonders. So tired of the appeasement.

• YAY
    Sept. 14, 2009 10:17 a.m.

more news about mormons.

• So Happy!
    Sept. 14, 2009 9:45 a.m.

I am so excited about this. For anyone wondering why we would need an LDS version of the bible, it is because of the headings and cross references and bible dictionary and topical guide and maps... What an incredible blessing. I can't wait to get a copy!

• RE: AZ Girl
    Sept. 14, 2009 9:41 a.m.

"rewriting the Bible as other Groups" One of the many reasons Christian denominations have made modern translation is; They have discoverd several earlier and better mansuscripts found since Josephs time. Codex b about 350 AD was a great find,the KJV is based on combination of manuscripts from around 1200 AD.The NIV Bible is the fruit of over 20 Christian denominations. Plus modern English is easier to understsand.

• There are changes
    Sept. 14, 2009 9:34 a.m.

. . . in the new LDS edition of the Santa Biblia.

Changes to more closely align with original meanings in greek and latin manuscripts. Changes required by archaic language. Even a few changes to clear up concepts [like the caridad/amor change mentioned in the article].

Every change, though, is both etymologically and doctrinally valid.

While there may be quibbling with a word here or there based on personal preference, no objective, qualified biblical scholar will have a major problem with any of the changes.

• This was needed because<
    Sept. 14, 2009 8:47 a.m.

as I understand it, this is the most accurate Spanish translation of the bible available. They compared Greek and Hebrew text to other Spanish translations, and then applied any improved translations to this modern text. In addition, and most importantly, this Bible contains the LDS cross references to other scripture - Book of Mormon, D&C, etc. Other Spanish bible translations were just simple translations without any cross references.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 14, 2009 6:57 a.m.

It was already available for decades, centuries probably, in spanish. Are you sure you're not rewriting it, like many groups do?

• world
    Sept. 14, 2009 6:49 a.m.

I thought the fact the accompanying picture of Omar was taken by Chen Wang--a little convergence of our global Church.

• B Reed
    Sept. 14, 2009 6:37 a.m.

Thank you for publishing this article. The new Bible was promoted at our Stake Conference yesterday here in Mexico.

The article clears up a concern I had about "Reina Valera 2009." I was concerned that it would be even further away from the 1960 version, which I felt had great errors.

On a personal note, reading the article, I was saddened to read that Deolindo Resek passed away. He is Enrique Resek's father. I knew him as a missionary in Argentina. He was a wonderful person.

• huh?
    Sept. 14, 2009 6:13 a.m.

And this was needed because?

• AZ girl
    Sept. 13, 2009 10:01 p.m.

Okay, I didn't read the article, but the short headline "LDS Church Publishes New Bible" is really misleading at first glance. Wouldn't want anyone to think we're rewriting it like many groups do.

That said, what a wonderful thing for our Spanish-speaking members to have all of these resources available!