Utah

2,000 rally in Utah against federal policies

Liberty Alliance joins with local activists in protest at the Capitol

Comments

• Insider
    Jan. 13, 2010 9:43 a.m.

First, this event had well over 3,500 people in attendance according to the professional crew hired for stage and sound (this company does many large-scale events and is experienced at estimating crowds, including ticketed crowds (so they have experience comparing estimates to actual counts). The event organizer, Jared Law, estimated the crowd at 3,000.

This is rather extraordinary; the left usually draws large crowds to their protests, since most of them don't have jobs, or they do have jobs, those jobs tend to be in education (so they get summers off), so they can attend summer events with many thousands; Principled Patriots actually have real jobs, and have families, so we have to make time to attend events. This was the largest rally in the history of the state of Utah that was attended largely by conservatives/principled patriots, from what I've seen on the Internet.

The point: this event was about Liberty, restoring America to what we've been, what we should be, what we can be. This event was about LIBERTY vs. TYRANNY! It was wonderful! I can't wait to see what Jared Law & Co. do next!

• Jan to Teddy
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:18 a.m.

Re:

"Free market capitalism, smaller governemnt, federalism, checks and balances, hard work, strong national defense, robust yet unintrusive foreign relations, lower taxes, more local government control over social issues, personal responsibilty, respect and adherence for the constitution, obedience to civil law, respect for law enforcement agencies, respect for private property, quality education, strong intact families and ethical civic leadership."

"This is the conservative message; it works everytime it's tried and it's what made the USA great in the first place."

ADD FAITH IN GOD AND YOU HAVE MY VOTE.

When people are willing to put so much trust in government, I believe it is because they lack sufficient faith in God.

"O Lord, I have trusted in thee and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for a I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm."

• jan
    Sept. 14, 2009 1:11 a.m.

I don't know anyone who isn't glad that we have a black president. That is one thing we all agree is good for the country. But why can't you disagree with his choices without people thinking it is because of the color of his skin? I wonder if it is because people don't want to address the concerns and it is a cheap and easy shot to dismiss disagreement by labeling it racism.

• Chaffetz, Wimmer Eagar
    Sept. 13, 2009 10:00 p.m.

I really liked the speeches from Rep. Chaffetz, Carl Wimmer and Cherilyn Eagar.

The events were great!
    Thanks Susan Southwick for getting this set up and Jared Law for getting many there.

• long ago
    Sept. 13, 2009 8:26 p.m.

I had a fine teacher at AFHS who ridiculed the idea that the general public was mad at the fed. govt. while they road on interstate highways, were protected by national defense forces, and ate food inspected by the feds.

And he was right. Hypocrits, you really know how to make a man laugh.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 7:41 p.m.

Lets get it right. The system needs to change and fast!

Was Glen Beck the one that said its time for change now and help our 50 million fellow americans that need healthcare?

Was he the talk show host who mentioned the following?

A trillion dollars can be spent on a war to protect us and its ok? Republicans vote ok?

A trillion dollars can be spent on Healthcare to protect us and its not? Republicans walk out?

There is a war going on and lets recognise the enemy first.

Its the fat cats in the medical and insurance industry and legal system that dont provide for our fellow Americans without Healthcare.

September 11th, 2001 fails in comparison.

Picture 50 million americans dying instead of 2000 american.

The Terrorists in this case is the for profit medical and healthcare insurance industry and paid off politicians spreading fear about changing the medical/insurance system to protect their large incomes and letting people die throughout the land.

Lets get it right. The system needs to change and fast!

• A True Patriot
    Sept. 13, 2009 6:29 p.m.

As a New Englander and LDS, I ask,Do Not defile the heritage of my ancestors by pretending to show support for less taxes when your "Conservative" leaders have been the biggest spenders the last eight years of administration,promoting war and Health only for the rich. Our ancestors fought against what you pathetically and falsely promote.
    Let the Tea party be remembered for truth and justice not defilement of corrupt political gainsayers,pretending to be Democratic.
    We have elected our President and we have had our say! You can rant and rave..thats a right...but dont make a mockery the original Boston Tea Party.

• To anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 5:48 p.m.

While I refer to myself as a Republican, I have voted and will continue to split my vote as appropriate. This is not partisan since there are also Democrats that attend Tea Parties, I know you don't want to hear that, but it's true. I know this may even surprise you but some Obama voters regret their vote.

Yes, I grumbled during the Bush years and my children stated that I was likely on the FBI list since my grumbling consisted of writing the White House and various Representatives. I wasn't just complaining to the neighbors but active complaint to those that could change things if they desired. The mounting debt, especially in the past 8 months, made a difference regarding picket, but I was already protesting. What did you do?

• Robert Hamilton
    Sept. 13, 2009 5:39 p.m.

I am glad I live in Canada where we have a public health care system. It is not perfect, but far better than the United States health care system that is controlled by big business interests. It is sad that the cain culture dominates in the United States.

• Mahonri
    Sept. 13, 2009 4:51 p.m.

They are right. Refuse all Federal programs. All food stamps. All aid. All medicare. Refuse it all and hold your breath til you turn blue while you are at it.

• It doesn't matter.
    Sept. 13, 2009 4:48 p.m.

Neither party supports less government. The Republicans say that they do until it's time to send troops or regulate person choice behaviors. Since most people are loyal to one of the two parties, government will continue to grow. In regards to healthcare, it's really irrelevant if it's socialized or not. Right now the insured pay high premiums so that hospitals can charge the insured high rates to make up for losses incurred when serving those who cannot pay. Perhaps the socialization may drive down some costs as the poor will receive care sooner, and not from emergency rooms. That is left to be seen.

• racists?
    Sept. 13, 2009 4:38 p.m.

Have you noticed that the only people who keep bringing up the fact that the president is "black" are all liberals? Doesn't that make them racist, because they are the ones who keep bringing it up? I hear black people say all the time, "My president is black". Would I, as a white person, be considered racist if I went around saying "My president is white"? Technically we're both right. But you only ever hear about the 50% black part, and it's usually from the left. Just wondering...

• Able
    Sept. 13, 2009 4:33 p.m.

Smaller government now! Let's start with the expensive stuff first! Can the military! No infrastructure projects! I have a 4X4 Suburban so I don't care if there are potholes on I-15. Let's get rid of the CIA and the FBI too! Government is the root of all EVIL! I don't need the FDA to keep me from getting sick or the IRS taking my hard earned money! For that matter, let's get rid of government money too! We'll all barter for fuel for our SUVs and ammo for our guns! No Goverment at ALL!

• Live Free or Die
    Sept. 13, 2009 4:11 p.m.

Welfare breeds more welfar, breeds more welfare.

Handouts are not Helping people.

• RW
    Sept. 13, 2009 4:02 p.m.

It amazes me that Glenn Beck's 9-12 Project has not been mentioned in any of the articles that I've read on this protest. It was the 9-12 group that put it all together. This is what we're all about...striving to return ourselves and our country to where we were the day after terrorists murdered 3000 of our fellow Americans.

• Civic Responsibility
    Sept. 13, 2009 3:24 p.m.

It's all well and good to get upset at the government over issues. But what's pathetic is how little most Americans even know about the Constitution and the Separation of Powers, and how Congress is set up to be a check and balance of the Executive or the President. And that the Congress is a big place with 435 Congressmen and a separate and independent chamber of 100 Senators. A lot of well-educated people don't even know the difference between a Senator or Congressman. They don't understand how Congress is "controlled" and operated by the majority party (currently Democrats) and that there is little Republicans can do to stop bad ideas from being Rahmed through with the Democrats controlling the Executive Branch, and the Congress. So to the commenter earlier that both Republican and Democrats are at fault and to get "rid of all of them," you are asking for the devil. I don't think that people saying that are thinking through the consequences of that or even understand what that would get us. You have to hold each individual member responsible based on their record and values.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 3:18 p.m.

You "grumble" during 8 years of a republican administration. And now you picket and protest the efforts of a democratic administration.

This whole demonstration was a good example of partisan politics at work, trying to make one side look worse than the other.

• The Real Patriot
    Sept. 13, 2009 3:05 p.m.

Freeeeeeeedooooooooom!

• Funny
    Sept. 13, 2009 2:53 p.m.

A couple dozen LGBT activists hold a rally in which they assault innocent bystanders and make outlandish demands for freedom of public perversion, and their "cause" is all over the front pages for 2 weeks.

2,000 people peacefully rally for a return to sanity and responsibility and they're dismissed as radicals and nutcases.

It's really not so funny.

• To anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 1:57 p.m.

Where was I when Bush was doing what he was doing? Grumbling. But then I'm a Republican. There were plenty of Democrats that did indeed protest though. I don't know how you missed that?! But, Obama did not only inherit the mess, he massively added to it in 8 months or do you not realize how much further in debt we have become under Obama? He has made Bush's debt look like chump change. So, I have moved from grumbling to picketing publicly as well as writing to various representatives while you look through your rose colored glasses.

To Elephant: Race isn't the issue but policy and crying wolf is getting old, especially given that much of White America voted for President Obama based on his words. Those European Americans are now changing their minds along with African Americans because of P O L I C Y decisions.

• ELEPHANT
    Sept. 13, 2009 1:32 p.m.

12:27

Could it be the only difference between then and now is the fact that now we have a black president and then we had a white president?

NAW.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 1:28 p.m.

This "American Liberty Tour" is not an independent organization. It is a republican-based group attempting to recruit followers while distancing themselves from the republican label. Backed by Fox News Channel commentators such as "Hannity" and "O'Reilley", it's the same old republican crowd with the same old conservative rhetoric, but labeled and packaged under a different name.

• Hand it to yourself...@11:07
    Sept. 13, 2009 1:28 p.m.

Taxcuts? You mean how the witholding was changed to allow you to take home more pay? $13 a week tax cut?
    It's still taxable income, just wait until your taxes come due.
    A tax cut happens when your actually allowed to keep more of what you EARN. Not a gimmick with your witholding.

No wonder your a liberal.

• And...
    Sept. 13, 2009 1:21 p.m.

Liberals demand MORE government.

You call that news? That's like reporting "MormonDem" is a pompous know-it-all and calling it news.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 1:19 p.m.

I wish those who scream about socialism would just get a brain and realize that what Obama is doing is what America needs.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 12:38 p.m.

Where were you protesters when George W. Bush got us involved in the billion dollar Iraq war and then gave his rich upper income buddies the biggest tax break in history? Where were you protesters when George W. Bush began trampling the constitution by extending his own powers as president? We could have definitely used less government then.

Remember: Obama didn't create this problem. He inherited an 8 year old mess created by George W. Bush and his sidekick, Halliburton/Black Water investor Dick Cheney.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 12:37 p.m.

What Obama is doing is WORKING.
    Conservatism, on the other hand, has failed again and again to move this country forward. Just check the census data and you will see that under Republicans incomes drop, poverty rates increase, the numbers of medically insured decline. The exaxt opposite happens when Democrats rule. This is a fact that Republicans can't face. Obama knows what he is doing is what is right for this country and it's people.......conservatives included. Don't let your flawed ideology blind you. But then, this is really about politics so I don't expect Republicans to be bothered by the truth.

• Scooter
    Sept. 13, 2009 12:27 p.m.

WE THE PEOPLE. Its about time we term limit Hatch and Bennett. George Washington set the precedent 2 terms or 8 years and get out and let others try!!!!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 12:27 p.m.

Where were these people? Let's take a journey back to June 24, 2004.

"Since 2001, even with record low inflation, U.S. federal spending has increased by a massive 28.8% (19.7% in real dollars)–with non-defense discretionary growth of 35.7% (25.3% in real dollars)–the highest rate of federal government growth since the presidencies of Richard Nixon and Lyndon Johnson. This increase has resulted in the largest budget deficits in U.S. history, an estimated $520 billion in fiscal year 2004 alone.

As predicted by Independent Institute Senior Fellow Robert Higgs, author of such key books as Crisis and Leviathan and the new Against Leviathan, this explosion of government power would only have been possible in the aftermath of 9/11. Times of crisis present the easiest opportunities for politicians to take advantage of a frightened American public.

President George W. Bush is now on his way to becoming the first full-term president since John Quincy Adams (1825-1829) to not veto a single bill."

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 9:53 a.m.

Everyone needs to quit their parties and become Independant. There's too much corruption in government and too much greed in BOTH parties. Americans need to unite as Americans and NOT Democrats and Republicans. My freedom is more important to me than a government healthcare plan. Freedom is something worth fighting and dying for.

• DR Don
    Sept. 13, 2009 9:52 a.m.

I find it interesting that so many people seem to have the need to attack and belittle the protesters rather than actually address what they are protesting.

• Teddy
    Sept. 13, 2009 9:05 a.m.

Alpheus 11:42. Well said. I think a lot principled conservatives think the same way as you do about Geo. Bush, McCain and our current president.

• Silent Majority
    Sept. 13, 2009 8:46 a.m.

When will the silent majority speak up? Probably never. It is amazing to read these boards. You might get the idea that the majority of us oppose the "crazies" who go and protest big government. I think the opposite is true. Most of us are scared of the direction the country is going but feel helpless to do anything about it.

• @crazies
    Sept. 13, 2009 8:44 a.m.

Its the "crazies" when the right protest. When its the left doing the protesting its called freedom of speech or thoughtful and proper use of our right to dissent.

• Crazies?
    Sept. 13, 2009 8:40 a.m.

Who keeps reelecting these people who plunder our treasure? Who elects those that inslave us and use the sweat of our brow for there own pesonal gain? WE DO! WE DO! WE all must unite and throw off the chains that hold us down and take back what belongs to us all. I want my country back and think most of you do too. Most of us act like children, pointing fingers at each other and placing blame for this or that. I think there is a thought provocking reason that Jesus Christ calls us sheep. Time to gorw up kids or the CRAZIES will distroy our playground. Right or left, black, white, brown, yellow or purple with pink poke-a-dots, it dosen't matter. We must unite and seek out honest men and women to represent us or we'll be playin' in the insane asylum with big brother telling us what is best. And we all know that BIG Brother is crazy!

• Patriots
    Sept. 13, 2009 8:32 a.m.

These tea-party demonstrations aren’t about right v. left or the color of anyone’s skin. These are simply concerned citizens expressing their outrage at big government and government corruption. Once upon at time in America, these people were called patriots, now they are labeled crazies, racists, etc…Name calling has never been a very effective rebuttal.

• To crazies
    Sept. 13, 2009 7:51 a.m.

So, you are saying that those African Americans that protested with me, in DC, were racist? The issue is not racism, but policy. It isn't about Pres. Obama, but the final straw including Congress. Perhaps you only assume racism because that is the issue foremost in your mind. I feel sorry for you.

• George
    Sept. 13, 2009 6:44 a.m.

Dump Bennett & Hatch. I am a Republican moving toward being an Independent. Both these guys have been in the Senate TOO LONG. Their actions prove it.

• response to Crazies
    Sept. 13, 2009 6:32 a.m.

What is your problem? When the left protests everything is fine, but when ordinary citizens try to voice their displeasure with what our government is trying to do to us, all of a sudden they are crazies.

If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen...

• Robert Y. Valentine, PhD
    Sept. 13, 2009 6:15 a.m.

Democrats are running for local offices throughout Utah by HIDING the fact that they are Democrats. As much as I am disappointed in Republicans, anyone who is a registered Democrat scares the heck out of me by supporting abortion, gay marriage, environmental control, socialized medicine, cap and trade, etc.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 3:33 a.m.

As his been the case with many people who become the focus of articles by opposing health care insurance reform, Wes Jenkins appears to be a recipient of Social Security and Medicare. Suffice it to say that his opposition to government involvement in health care is ironic.

• Canadiandy
    Sept. 13, 2009 1:46 a.m.

Nancy Pelosi.

• Crazies
    Sept. 13, 2009 12:52 a.m.

It is nice to see the first amendment at work, where crazies emerge to have their say, even if it is more emotional than logical and probably driven more by the color of the skin of the president, who blessed with a magnetic and compelling personality stirs up hatred amongst the the small-minded like none other.

• Alpheus
    Sept. 12, 2009 11:42 p.m.

As a protester (who attended Provo's gathering), during the last eight years of the Bush Administration, what I felt, was basically this: Bush is *supposed* to be a Conservative--but he passed this new Drug Plan. He does *some* things that are good--but he does a lot of awful things too!

Then he went on and passed the major "bailout". It became clear that he was a complete enemy to responsible spending!

Also: It's horrible that things have become so uncivil that a senator called the President a "liar and a loser"...oh, wait: That was Harry Reid, talking about President Bush! He was probably right then, and if he repeated that statement, he'd be correct now, as well.

I ended up voting for McCain, but I felt dirty afterward. If he had made the Presidency, he would likely have been doing the same things! And I would be there, protesting him as well.

• Where were you for 8 years?!
    Sept. 12, 2009 11:18 p.m.

I've lived in DC for the past decade. It's well known in this area that the Beltway's economy is essentially impervious to the recession because the government (and gov't employed contractors) expanded almost exponentially during the past administration.

Where were you protestors then?

Political hypocrites make me sick.

• Gotta hand it to Rush
    Sept. 12, 2009 11:07 p.m.

Are these the same protestors at the tea party several weeks ago who were protesting Obama and high taxes shortly after Obama lowered their taxes and all people who earn less than $250,000 per year?

Got to had it to Rush, he could sell snow to an eskimo.

• Obama's broken promise
    Sept. 12, 2009 10:37 p.m.

Right out of the gate, Obama violated one of his promises to the American People. While Campaining, Obma said "When there is a bill that ends up on my desk as president, you will have five days to look online and find out what's in it before I sign it."–6/22/07, Manchester, N.H.

He violated this promise when he rushed through the big "Stimulus Package" Bill, and few people even knew what it contained. One of the biggest spending bills in US history, and the president who promiced transparency and a five day review period did not keep his word.

Many Democrats, Independents, and Republicans alike were shocked to find out how all the money was actually to be spent, and as a reslt all those who have sufficent conscience to find enslaving our grandchildren to our debt unconscienable will band together and make their voice heard. No nation has every borrowed ans spent its way into prosperity.

As long as these demonstrations are peaceable, NO ONE should have the slightest qualm about them happening.

• bluebeach
    Sept. 12, 2009 10:26 p.m.

WOO HOO, 2000 protesters. Sounds pretty paltry to me. I wonder what the average attendance at a high school football game is around Salt Lake City?

• Daniel Drew
    Sept. 12, 2009 10:11 p.m.

I think everyone has the right to express their feelings. I think that the debate over health care has become uncivil to the point where a member of congress was uncivil to the president. I say let anyone who wants to protest do so. But, hopefully the lies that both sides are feeding the public stops, and real reform will happen not what the Political Action Committees of each political party wants!

• they won't get it
    Sept. 12, 2009 10:05 p.m.

Not by voting Republican or Democrat.

• BLAH BLAH BLAH
    Sept. 12, 2009 9:30 p.m.

In the world of politics, Utah is a joke-- we don't have enough electoral votes to even bring a Presidential candidate to Utah- Even the Republicans don't bring serious national candidates here. All Mitt Romney came to Utah for was money.
    Why do all of you right wingers waste your time protesting when you don't even matter????