Utah

Actor gives gift of life to colleague

Theater community rallies to help Utahn

Comments

• Trevor Jerome
    Sept. 14, 2009 4:06 p.m.

Thanks for this story Erica!!!!
    Both gentlemen are remarkable and this story made me cry!!! So happy for you Paul!!!!

• Paul Gibbs
    Sept. 14, 2009 3:18 p.m.

"Waiting" is right, I was very fortunate to have a much better, easier experience than most patients with end stage kindey failure. There are an astonishing number of people out there who suffer from this disease and do not have the help they need. I was reminded of this everytime I visited the hospital or the dialsysiss center. Best wishes to Waiting and all who are fighting this battle.

• Waiting...
    Sept. 13, 2009 1:18 a.m.

I am waiting for a kidney myself... Been on dialysis since I was 10 years old. I am 29 now & am now able to receive a transplant. Unfortunately, I have no family or friends that can donate one to me. People out there, please remember, their are twice as many kidneys as their are people in the world & it's something you can donate while you are still alive. He's lucky he had people willing to donate. It's not that easy for most of us. My kidney disease was caused by ecoli poisoning back when they didn't even know much about it.

• lucy
    Sept. 12, 2009 7:50 p.m.

amazing. story.
    thanks for making my day better.

• Angie
    Sept. 11, 2009 2:51 p.m.

What a great news piece and even better when you know the guy! Paul is a great guy and it sounds like he has a great friend too. Thanks Ryan for your sacrifice.

• Kande
    Sept. 11, 2009 1:50 a.m.

So honored and proud to call Ryan my friend. Wish there were more like you in the world. I'm lucky enough to be part of the HCT family and it is a tight knit, loving group. May you and Paul continue to heal!

• VT
    Sept. 10, 2009 6:43 p.m.

Very touching story. Good luck to all.

• Quinn
    Sept. 10, 2009 11:09 a.m.

Congratulations Paul and best wishes. Ryan, thanks for your example - it motivates me to 'pay it forward.'

• G Dean
    Sept. 10, 2009 10:44 a.m.

Great article, it is great piece, it is a true testament to humanity at it's best.

• Hero of Canton
    Sept. 10, 2009 10:39 a.m.

Great story Erica, thank you.

Paul Gibbs is an amazing person (and ladies, he's single!) and is certainly deserving of this out-pouring of love and concern. Ryan Poole is also an amazing person, to step-up like that truly is heroic.

• Can't buy me love...
    Sept. 10, 2009 9:44 a.m.

"...one day Poole, who had appeared with Gibbs in a production of "You Can't Take It With You"....

That play was about, obviously, that you can't take money with you--and there are things more important. Great to see Ryan knows there ARE some things you can take with you--the power of a really good deed, and the friend he made forever in the process.

Ryan, anyone who reads this will be impressed with your selflessness. Kudos. And best wishes to Paul.

• Jami S.
    Sept. 10, 2009 9:33 a.m.

You know I love you both and feel so blessed to be able to call you friends.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 10, 2009 8:44 a.m.

Knowing the goodness and love actors have for each other does not surprise me. I have been involved with HCT for many years as a volunteer and these wonderful actors, staff have become my family. We are thrilled with the wonderful recovery and new lease on life these men are enjoying. Thanks for letting us be a part of this greaat gift.

• anonymous
    Sept. 10, 2009 6:52 a.m.

very touching

• Jana Mc
    Sept. 10, 2009 6:32 a.m.

You're the man, Ryan! I have a sister-in-law who did this for her brother earlier this year, and I'm just in awe of people who will do this. Good luck to both of you!

• HCT Guild Volunteer
    Sept. 10, 2009 5:10 a.m.

What a fantastic story!

"There's no people like show people, they smile when they are low. . ."

These are two of the most awesome, caring, giving actors you would ever meet! Truly inspirational! BRAVO!