Utah

A bouncing baby... elephant

Newborn pachyderm to debut Friday

Comments

• Animal lover
    Sept. 9, 2009 6:21 p.m.

I hope you keep the Mom & baby pictures on here for a long time. It simply brightens my day just to look at them. THANKS!!!!!

• Awesome!
    Sept. 9, 2009 11:42 a.m.

I love the baby pics. How exciting to have this little bundle of joy here in out town.

On a somewhat off note: I'm feeling sorry for the poor dude whose job it was to collect Jackson's contribution to this baby's creation. Something like that surely belongs on one of those "worst job" tv shows.

• Very cute
    Sept. 9, 2009 10:29 a.m.

I have to agree these are wonderful photographs. I plan to show them to my grandchildren.

• splitme2
    Sept. 9, 2009 9:23 a.m.

I think they should name her after ME, she was born on the birthday!

• ahhhh
    Sept. 8, 2009 6:56 p.m.

Now, those are the cutest pictures I've seen in long time.. WAY TOO--SWEET! Thanks DesNews ;)

• Interloper
    Sept. 8, 2009 4:53 p.m.

I can vouch for Jeremy's comment. The Portland Zoo also has a baby elephant. The mother's initial reaction was to assault the infant. The baby had to be separated and fed with a bottle. Eventually, the zookeepers and vets were able to get the two to gradually bond. They are together without conflict, now. Obviously, the mother-child relationship between elephants is a sensitive matter.

• Jeremy Elephant
    Sept. 8, 2009 4:42 p.m.

Respone to K; Hi, I've been to the zoo with my daughter each week for the last couple of months. In expectation of the baby elephant arrival the zoo informed us that elephants imprint and build family bonds similar to humans and other animals. They needed to make sure Christie and the baby built a connection, that the baby was eating/nursing well, and that noises and exposure to excited humans didn't scare and endanger the little one or her mother. Hope this helps! See all y'all there!

• Silverforest
    Sept. 8, 2009 4:26 p.m.

I was so worried that the baby had died or something bad had happened to the baby, but when I heard that the baby had been born I was soooooooooo relieved.

• Michelle
    Sept. 8, 2009 3:57 p.m.

Oh, the baby is so cute!!! She looks tiny compared to her Mother but I am sure she is rather large. I can't wait to hear the name they give her!!!

• K
    Sept. 8, 2009 3:09 p.m.

Thanks for the photos, DN!

I can understand why they had to wait so long to expose this baby to the public, so it was great to have photos of her, while she's still "small".