Utah

Camper attacked by black bear

78-year-old victim flown to hospital; animal killed

Comments

• killroy
    Sept. 2, 2009 4:13 p.m.

The DWR uses the draw tag system which has a very small success rate at actually harvesting bears. If they would use the harvest objective system which has a higher success rate, alot of the trouble with bears and human incounters would be eliminated. Not all but many.

• xscribe
    Aug. 29, 2009 2:27 p.m.

@Garbear: Your last sentence says all anyone needs to know about you. Could have left out the last sentence, but apparently you're one of those people who have to resort to name-calling because you're not educated enough to have a real debate. It shows in your use of the sentence "I'm glad your (sic) on our side." The word should be "you're." That's a contraction for "you are." Glad to see that Garfield County education did you some good! Now let's see if the Des News will publish this, or if they only let those whom they believe to be "Conservatives" throw out barbs and name-calling.

• JAYEG
    Aug. 29, 2009 1:17 p.m.

Kudos to the man's daughter, who showed great courage in jumping a bear. Kudos to the grandson for having the foresight to carry a firearm.

A speedy recovery is wished for the injured gentleman.

• garbear
    Aug. 29, 2009 12:47 p.m.

good idea xcribe! I'm glad your on our side. With hunting season starting in a couple of days, I'm doing my part to rid the world of those pesky wildlife. You moron.

• xscribe
    Aug. 29, 2009 12:05 p.m.

Let's eradicate all animals in the wild. That way all we'll have to worry about are the 2-legged kind.

• Different campsite
    Aug. 29, 2009 11:42 a.m.

If one sees a bear at one predetermined campsite, wouldn't the better choice have been to move to another one? Chances are, that bear has something there that he's hiding or protecting.

Sorry the bear got shot, but happy to know that the old man is doing ok. Scary adventure.

• Joe
    Aug. 29, 2009 10:59 a.m.

I'm glad the family made it out safely. I'd like to know what caliber the grandson was using. Considering the bear was still able to run away I think he should carry something larger, perhaps a .454 casull or .500 mag. A wounded bear is even more dangerous than a hungry bear.

• Bears don't normally attack huma
    Aug. 29, 2009 10:30 a.m.

The ones that do get shot. End of story. Deal with it.

• I'm UNLV grad ...
    Aug. 29, 2009 9:31 a.m.

and I'm pleased to report that my education evidently was far better than the one received by the person styling himself "UNLV" above. Can't explain the difference.

Incidentally, if a bear bites one of my loved ones, I'm gonna blast 'em. That decision has little to do with environmental concerns and everything to do with the health and well-being of my family and friends.

• need more preditors
    Aug. 29, 2009 9:21 a.m.

want some grizzlis and wolves,Wy an ID have some extras

• geedub
    Aug. 29, 2009 8:19 a.m.

to K: I accept the dangers and I mitigate them by carrying protection. If an intruder came into to my camp in the middle of the night and threatened me I'd kill them, regardless of their species.

• arichpark
    Aug. 29, 2009 6:22 a.m.

Bears are really overgrown raccoon's. To the idiots who think bears are on par with humans in the grand scheme of things, I have this one thing to say. "Are you really that stupid?" Bears, while having a certain charm like Winnie the Pooh in your warped sense of reality, are rally varmints whose population needs to be kept in check. Not eradicated but kept in check. More bear permits please. Please go and sing "Mother Earth and Sister Moon" somewhere else. we have seen rabid environmentalists at work and its a scary world

• American Citizen
    Aug. 29, 2009 5:42 a.m.

With no grizzlies, black bears are pretty much the top of the food chain.

Bears have an amazingly good sense of smell. He first came around in the evening when he probably smelled dinner cooking and then returned later that night. This was probably not the first time he had met river rafters.

If humans want to be at the top of the food chain when they go into the wilderness, they had better go armed.

Kill or be killed is the wilderness rule. Sorry, but that's reality.

• The Bear
    Aug. 29, 2009 5:04 a.m.

had it coming.

• in this corner
    Aug. 29, 2009 3:10 a.m.

His daughter jumped on it and beat it with her fist.**************************

UFC

In this corner we have Miss Adrenalin at 135 lbs. early morning no caffeine attitude.

She is wearing a night robe, 5 ounce white slippers.
    Her fingernails are 1/2 inch long and she has a 26 inch reach.
    She has won a couple of fights in high school-

Her biting and hair pulling ability's are well known.

Over here -(heh)-
    At 203 lbs- a 46 inch reach and 4 inch claws-

We have a stupid wild bear that doesn't know what he is in for.

(BEAR)-
    "I thought I would kill this older man on the cot and drag his body into the brush for a snack."

"Then Miss Feisty here jumps on me and starts kicking, screaming and clawing into my eyes."

"I tried to bear hug her and get my jaws around her neck but she kept punching, kicking and clawing my eyes with her red polished fingernails"-

"It wasn't a fair fight!"

• Anonymous
    Aug. 28, 2009 5:36 p.m.

Why does EVERY story on this website turn into a fight between the left and the right? This country is like the Crips and Bloods...what a delightful place!

• K
    Aug. 28, 2009 5:15 p.m.

When you go out into the wilderness you have to accept the dangers. If you cant accept that wild animals live out in the wilderness, and that they attack "intruders" then play it safe and stay home. Don't be naive and think "That will never happen to me". It happens.

• VJT
    Aug. 28, 2009 5:11 p.m.

Bears are not more important than people, but they are as important as people in our environment.

• Randy
    Aug. 28, 2009 4:54 p.m.

Maybe a few more bear hunting permits would help. I suppose the tree-huggers would oppose that. Bears seem to be more important than people.

• Re: UNLV
    Aug. 28, 2009 4:39 p.m.

Grow up! The bear wan't shot for the fun of it, it was put shot because it attacked a person, as it should have been.

• twenty first century
    Aug. 28, 2009 4:39 p.m.

Mr or Ms UNLV, If you didn't know this has not been the home of Black Bears. The government has aloud them to migrate to these areas that have not seen them in at least 100 years. I guess you would like to see thousands of buffalo roaming the streets of Omaha.

• You're kidding, right?
    Aug. 28, 2009 4:28 p.m.

Clem,

What would you like the government to do? Give bears permission to live in the wilderness? Kill them all? Teach them how to be less bear-like?

The only tragedy here is that the bear was killed.

• UNLV
    Aug. 28, 2009 4:20 p.m.

There is a reason it is called the wild or wilderness. It is the bear's home. Do you want people coming in your home and shooting you? Oh that's right, that is called a crime when humans do it to humans.

• Clem
    Aug. 28, 2009 4:11 p.m.

This is a another sad example of the government's inaction leading to tragedy. Why does the government still refuse to do anything about the bears in these areas? How many more attacks must there be before something is done?