Hatch, Kennedy made political theater as 'odd couple'

• hcapcarp
    Aug. 28, 2009 10:13 a.m.

It is easy to pass judgment from the sidelines. At the end of the game advisaries often show respect for their opponent's efforts. Our America has many factions, like most I want my faction to win. If mine always wins then others always lose. Compromise has been part of the game since 1776 any history buff will inform you of the many compromises have made up the America we have today. As I grow closer to a fixed income, budget deficits (inflation)scares me and I have become less tolerant of congressional spending. Yet in my youth spending that improved my income or led to a more vibrant economy was cheered.
    Senators Hatch and Kennedy found common ground so that niether faction lost all the time and neither won all the time. History will look fondly of them as they do of another Senator who was favored to be a President but never made the cut. Senator Clay's mark on our country is deep and he is considered a great statesman. Kennedy and Hatch fall into this catagory.

• Frank
    Aug. 28, 2009 2:00 a.m.

Ted Kennedy was able to neutralize Hatch. Hatch never has had the commitment to trim the Federal government back to its Constitutional limits. He has not tried to eliminate any government bureau. He has not eliminated any class of tax. He has not had the gumption to tell his liberal friends that their quest for bigger, more powerful government was wrong. He has abandoned the idea that government is the problem for any and all government solutions. He is willing to compromise with enslaving us. There is no middle ground between those who want to tell us what to do from cradle to grave, to steal our earnings thru taxes, in short, to make slaves of us. How much freedom do they want? The question is how far has Hatch let his team be pushed toward the other team's goal? How do you compromise with the one who wants to put just a few drops of poison in the koolaid? And so as he made friends with Kennedy, and abandoned the Constitution we have steadily become less free. Throw Hatch out.

• Wilde
    Aug. 28, 2009 12:00 a.m.

I love this article about Kennedy and Hatch. I think it shows great humanity when two different sides find a way to move to the middle and form a relationship that is productive and lasts. I was also at Faneuil Hall when Kennedy and Hatch both spoke to those 200 missionaries. It was my first day there and I still feel honored to be a part of that historic experience.l

• Hey Bill... Mark here....
    Aug. 27, 2009 8:37 p.m.

First of all, kudos to you for having the guts to not hide behind fake screen names... I admire that. But you should also work on consistency. You once wrote that you were not in a position to judge, that there was a greater power who had that job. And yet, you have no problems calling people RINOs and Socialist, like you have been made keeper of the definition of what it means to be a Republican. You can ask for you money back all you like. If you have it all figured out, you can even run yourself. You can decide not to vote for someone. But running around calling those who don't see the world exactly like you names - and that you are the keeper of FACTS... well, I am not sure your quit as converted as you say you are. Not sure where Christ or anyone else taught to disrespect your brother like that. I missed that day in church I guess.

• Lute
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:33 p.m.

Gosh, Bill, I thought the most socialist Senator in Congress was by definition whoever was the Democratic nominee for president. Anyway, that's what my RINO friends all say.

• Bill Baumgardner Sr.
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:04 p.m.

The reason they got along so well is because Hatch is a RINO. He proved it when he ran in the primaries & stated he would not use abortion as a litmus test for a Supreme Court Judge. That is when I wrote to him & asked for our $72.00 back that we sent to help him before he made his RINO speech. We never did get the $$ returned. Thank you for letting me state some FACTS & my reasons for not backing Hatch. He was too close to the most socialist Senator in congress.

• antitermlimits
    Aug. 27, 2009 5:17 p.m.

I would only favor term limits if we could also limit the amount of time civil servants can work in the government. If you limit congressmen to serve 12 years then the power in the federal government would shift even further to the executive branch lifetime bureaucrats. Congressional term limits would make the IRS, SSA, DOE, HUD, VA the real power in the country and they are not answerable to the voters. Guys like Hatch, that are willing to forgoe making big bucks in the private sector, can match institutional memory and tactics with the 35 year bureaucrats. The Leviathan that Thomas Hobbes talked about would become even more of a reality than it is today. Be careful what you wish for. I suppose most of the screamers on these blogs don't even know who Thomas Hobbes is or what the leviathan is and yet with a pocklet copy of the Constitution they consider themselves experts. It would be like going to a janitor for brain surgery. Let somebody who knows something about it make the policy - go back to watching American Idol and your fantasy football office pool.

• RememberResults
    Aug. 27, 2009 3:59 p.m.

Whether labelled Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Conservative, Right or Left all that matters is results.

Do we take love our neighbor by taking action like the parable in the good samaritan. Great example of someone who took action to help the less fortunate that produced good results.

Dont be like those in the parable of the good samaritan who just pass the healthcare issue by on the other side.

That is the focus our senators need.

That is what the healthcare issue is all about.

Our Senators need to learn how to care for the Americans Health by taking action together and put aside political differences.

• Good People
    Aug. 27, 2009 2:13 p.m.

I am always suprised at the vitriol heaped on Senator Hatch by Utan's. He has done an enormous service to the state over the years by being steadfast in his principals but willing to compromise when necessary to promote the common welfare. Some extreme right nut-jobs bash Hatch inspite of what he has done for the state because he doesn't toe an extreme, puritanical line. Remember, Jesus was bashed by the "right-wing" pharisees who thought he was corrupting the othodox culture. In the end, guess who will win?

• kiaoraguy
    Aug. 27, 2009 1:52 p.m.

Before anyone else comments here, just take a moment and think about how you would be feeling is you lost one of your best friends, no matter what that person's character was. I'm pretty much anti Teddy and not so in love Orin, but think beyond the headlines for a moment.

• An Idahoan
    Aug. 27, 2009 1:08 p.m.

My mother loved the Kennedy Klan, she would take my picture out of a frame and put in Jack's, or Bobby's or Teddy's picture. She was a poor judge of character. I never had any use for the liberalism they espoused and I think America is a better place without them or their brand of politics. I did like one Kennedy and that was the sister that founded the Special Olympics. She did a great thing that gave hope to many wonderful special people and it is too bad her brothers were such decadent souls.

• Atlas
    Aug. 27, 2009 12:30 p.m.

• One way
    Aug. 27, 2009 12:18 p.m.

I find it interesting that Hatch helped Kennedy with legislation but I didn't see anything in the article about Kennedy helping Hatch. Hatch is one of those befuddled Republicans like Spector was.

• Hatch
    Aug. 27, 2009 11:48 a.m.

Hatch is an Odd Duck, The start with he is not interested in people.
    He feathers his own nest.
    33 years and done nothing for the people like Kennedy.

• disagree
    Aug. 27, 2009 11:07 a.m.

If "committment to principle" was the only value to be respected, we would have to include Hitler, Osama bin Ladin and other despots because they also were "committed to principle". It's "committment to CORRECT principles" that makes one worthy of adoration.

I've never understood why "comittment" and "passion" are in and of themselves admirable, when they often are attached to people who have done bad, immoral things.

Kennedy may have been charming and big-hearted, but he largely was a personal failure.

Mary Jo Kopechne, tax evasion, infidelities, cheating in college, dealing with questionable people...he just gave me the creeps. May he rest in peace.

• Mc
    Aug. 27, 2009 11:01 a.m.

I admire Sen. Kennedy's ability to work with the other side and be friendly even when he disagreed vehemently with them on the Senate floor. This is sorely lacking in Congress today. Democrats in the House and Senate are not willing to work with Republicans at all and treat them with disdain. When Republicans had the majority they were much more respectful of the Democrats, which sometimes frustrated me, but it showed more consideration for the nation and less of the arrogance we're seeing from Democrats today.

• John Pack Lambert
    Aug. 27, 2009 10:34 a.m.

Two of the most important bills that Kennedy and Hatch colaborated on were not mentioned. They were the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and the Religious Land Use and Instituttionalized Persons act. There laws to some extend undid the great destruction of Americans rights perpetrated by the majority opinion of Antonin Scalia in the case of Employment Division v. Smith.
    I guess that makes Hatch a liberal. He has the audacity to think Jews should be able to turn a former convent they purchased into a synagogue and the gripes of the neighbors that they "do not want to live next to a synagogue" should not be able to stop its construction and use.
    For those who might not get it, I am trying to say that the actions of Hatch and Kennedy in this instance and their results are good. Of course, Marci Hamilton thinks that allowing this synagogue to take over the former sight of a convent is allowing a religious organization to "do harm" to others under the guise of religious freedom, but she also has many other odd ideas, look her up to learn more.

• Jack
    Aug. 27, 2009 9:58 a.m.

They are a couple of"Grandstanders" , and could give a rats about anything other than their appearence that they are wonderful. They should have been gone years ago!

• Justino
    Aug. 27, 2009 9:40 a.m.

We lost a a great lider who really care about people. I am sad to lose this kind of lidership in America.

• Dave
    Aug. 27, 2009 9:10 a.m.

Those who suggest that individual states impose term limits on their Senators and Representatives obviously do not understand the importance of seniority in both houses. Unless terms limits are imposed by the federal government, an individual state would commit political suicide to do so on its own.

• Bill
    Aug. 27, 2009 9:01 a.m.

To BobP: Thank you for your comments.

I feel that if a conservative and a liberal can reach common consent then so can the rest of us. To say that isn't possible in today's policitical climate would be disparaging to the two senators.

I don't feel we need term limits on Senators. We already have it. That is the voters. However, if voters continue to put them in then it is our fault not those who are running for office. Term limits were imposed on the president because of FDR and fear of dictatorship that many felt was happening during his tenure. We all need to understand that what happens in Washington is our fault. We blamd congress for this and for that but in the end it is our fault. If we want honest change we would vote all incumbents out of office. Wow, what a concept. Then it wouldn't matter which party rules, they would then start listening again to the people.

• Tim
    Aug. 27, 2009 8:58 a.m.

There is no "odd couple" here...Hatch and Teddy were two peas in a pod, just look at Uncle Orrin's voting record over the years.

• Hey, Anon 6:38
    Aug. 27, 2009 8:51 a.m.

looks like you're the only hate dork out there. Typical liberal.

My opinion of Hatch has no bearing on the article, as I am not connected with Utah anymore, and don't claim repub or dem ties. As for this relationship, I can't recall a single conservative bill that Kennedy compromised with Hatch, several where the opposite was done. Compromise is a democrat way of saying, "I don't care what you want!" and a republican way of saying, "I can cross the aisle to get things done."

• BobP
    Aug. 27, 2009 8:38 a.m.

Hatch will still be in the Senate when the Savior returns.

I am about as right wing and conservative as it is possible to be withou becoming the cruel parody I have seen on these forums.

Kennedy made more mistakes than most, he was way too far left for my taste, but he oevercame some of his worst faults and he allowed a friend named Hatch to help with some of them.

To the cheap shot artists out there, I would like to say; "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I would then hope that the went and sinned no more.

• I agree
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:51 a.m.

I agree with those who feel and think that Hatch chummed with liberals too long and too much. Please put a limitation on his term! I feel betrayed by him. I have several friends and many family members who also feel they have been abandoned by our US Senators in Washington.

• ediddy
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:45 a.m.

I remember well Hatch's mantra against then Senator Frank Moss. "18 years is way too long for any publicc servant," he said. It worked for him enough to get elected to his "eternal" seat on the senate. Hatch is more liberal now than Moss was then, and he has long forgotten his promise not to repeat Moss' tenure.
    Say what you want about Hatch, but he is not the "lion of the senate" he once was thought to be. You'd think he had died and we were listening to his eulogy the way people fawn over him and laud his attributes.

• to Still, Too long
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:43 a.m.

I couldn't agree more.I have always liked Sen. Hatch.I thought that Kennedy was probably a decent fellow in spite of his politics.But, Sen Hatch compromises too much.He has been there too long. So have most of the rest.

• Still, Too Long!
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:22 a.m.

Sen. Hatch & Sen. Kennedy may have worked with each other, that's great, but both of them & many others have been on the government 'Dole' way too long. This is not what our founding fathers had in mind, they wanted the common man to govern & pass laws that they would also live under.

For example, health care, do you think that any of these government 'employees' will drop theirs for for the new health care plan? ... Not Even!

Sen. Hatch & Sen. Bennett need to go & in Sen. Hatchs own words, "that many Senators, including Moss, had lost touch with their constituents." ... Ouch, who has lost touch?

• New Englander
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:16 a.m.

I'm glad they got along so well and even thoughj I don't agree with all their politics, we do need to be respectful as they lay this man to rest.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:02 a.m.

Enjoyed the article.

• Hatch
    Aug. 27, 2009 6:13 a.m.

needed Kennedy. Kennedy did not need Hatch. Get that concept straight.

• Easterner
    Aug. 27, 2009 6:04 a.m.

Have never particulary cared for Sen. Hatch, but after reading this and seeing how much can be accomplished when we put our differences aside, I must say he has gained stature in my eyes. I just wish that we could all be as magnanimous. The vile and ugly things I have read in DN comment boards since Sen. Kennedy's death are disgusting to anyone with an ounce of decency. Thank you Sen. Hatch for letting me see that not all Mormons are so mean spirited.

• larry the lesson learner
    Aug. 27, 2009 5:59 a.m.

I think there are lessons to be learned here for all of us.....including certain talk show host who cry and call people racist on tv

• Candy
    Aug. 27, 2009 5:17 a.m.

Hatch is a star struck opportunist. He was enamored with Kennedy and Victoria Principal.

• bring it on
    Aug. 27, 2009 2:12 a.m.

Sorry to burst your bubble-

But the 60 seat Senate majority is dead.

• shawilli
    Aug. 27, 2009 1:35 a.m.

Hatch - another "eternal' politician who will serve until he is dead,I wish to goodness that people would have the courage to place term limits on the people they send to Washington.I have never understood why politicians seem to wallow in the boring stuffy political life back in Washington, why can't they serve a term or two and then come back home and let someone else have a chance to serve the people also?

• hatch-liker
    Aug. 27, 2009 12:51 a.m.

I like Hatch. He is a really nice person (based on personal experience). I don't support him politically on many things, but I respect and admire him (and support him on some issues). It really is too bad that this political landscape has been defined by Glen Beck/Keith Olbermann type of apologetics/polemics. It is mindless, childlish and unproductive. The "tea parties", yelling about health care "socialism" and general hysteria is sickening. Now that I think about it I will support Hatch, Bennett and other moderate Republicans over the extreme 'conservatives' who seem to love the Chaffetz types in Utah County. Utah County...geeez, what a place!

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:16 p.m.

Hatch is a really nice person, and when he says something I listen...I'm not from Utah though. I liked the story about when Kennedy helped get the steeple approved for the Boston building. There was a lot of opposition to the height of the steeple and Kennedy said, there are steeples all over the place on other churches here, let them have their steeple. And it was done.

• MikeinDenver
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:48 p.m.

I've been thinking lately about how much people really HATE each other these days for political views. This friendship is inspirational to me and should be for everybody who "hates people of the opposing view"

• RivertonCoug
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:59 p.m.

I have always admired how the two worked together. One of the things I loved about living in Boston was the opportunity to vote against Ted Kennedy, but I had to admit, his desires were in the right place. I wish more in Washington could be willing to work together for the good of the nation instead of the awful vitrial that comes accross now.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:38 p.m.

I'm sure this will soon fill up with liberal this and liberal that hatred.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading what two people with different views can do when they put the people first and let personal views fall away.