Utah

Utahns, others remember Kennedy fondly

Comments

• jj
    Aug. 28, 2009 10:06 p.m.

Just curious..... why bother making any comments. They are meaningless. Think of a story like this with absolutely NO blogging.

• No more guile
    Aug. 28, 2009 10:23 a.m.

Notwithstanding all the good or bad that a person contributes to this world while in it, once his life has been completed and he is called home, the rest (all of eternity) is up to his creator to determine.

Regarding Chappaquiddick, only three people know the truth- Mary Jo, Ted, and the Savior. She will testify of the truth, Teddy will agree and Jesus, with his loving arms around both will render His judgement. The reward will be fitting for all involved and all will accept the adjudication.

As for us remaining, we should be glad that we still have the opportunity to do some good and to right some wrongs. Jacob Marley: "It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow men! If it goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death! It is doomed to wander through the world! Oh, woe is me! And witness what it cannot share but MIGHT HAVE SHARED on Earth and turned to happiness!"

So do the best you can and leave Ted and his family to their sorrows.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 28, 2009 9:56 a.m.

Ed Klein, a former editor of Newsweek and the NY Times Magazine, went in for a live interview on the Diane Rehm show the other day and told an "amusing anecdote" about Senator Kennedy. It seems that one of the Senator's favorite topics of humor was Chappaquiddick, and that, not just content with telling his own jokes about the subject, he'd often ask others if they'd heard any good jokes about it they could relate to him. Apparently, after Mr. Klein realized that this wasn't nearly as cute and sweet a story as he thought it was, he started trying to backpedal, and the show cut right to commercial.

I'm sorry, but how horrible is that? You're involved in an accident that leaves a woman dead - whether you're at fault or not - and you like cracking jokes about it for the next 40 years? What kind of a person does that? And we're supposed to be fawning all over him just because he's dead? No, sorry.

• An Albertan
    Aug. 27, 2009 10:16 p.m.

To LOST IN UTAH

WELL SAID!!!!

• RE: Lost in Utah 10:15 am
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:35 p.m.

What makes you think we are all Mormons? What makes you think we live in Utah? Look who is judging! Why are we consider to be hateful when expressing our own opinions? Have you heard of being a hypocrite?

We are only human. We have a tendency to judge when we shouldn't. I feel that some of the remarks made here are emotional as most of us have watched our country slowly be destroyed by those who have swore to uphold the constitution! Mr. Kennedy had become one of the most "socialist" Senators that we have ever had! He wanted complete control of the people, just look at his voting record, it doesn't lie! I can totally understand everyones frustrations & inability to show any sympathy at his passing, yet I understand that we must also try harder to be more Christ-like & show compassion. I didn't really like the man, but I am sympathetic to the situation.

• casablanca
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:05 p.m.

Let the poor soul rest in piece. He is the one now who has to meet his Maker!

• Orren Hatch
    Aug. 27, 2009 5:17 p.m.

is an idiot and has many liberal tendencies. His relationship with this abortionist is further evidence of that.

• True
    Aug. 27, 2009 4:15 p.m.

Remember yes. Fondly, no.

• Mang
    Aug. 27, 2009 4:06 p.m.

What is with you haters? Do you know for sure that Senator Kennedy hated Mormons or that Mormons hate Catholics? How can you possibly post things about a family whose tragedies have far exceeded the norm? If you can't say a kind word or offer condolences, why don't you just shut up and keep your opinion to yourself. This is about someone's son, father, uncle, grandfather, friend, passing away - it isn't about politics or religion. Yes, we all have our faults, and indeed, Senator Kennedy had his. But the Chappaquiddick incident was 40 years ago. Let it go and get a life. There again, all you know is what you read and that isn't always the truth. If you weren't there (or at any other incident that so many choose to post), then how do you know the truth? And what business is it of yours anyway? People should live their own lives and keep out of others. I'm sure the Senator has paid his dues with everything that has happened in his lifetime. May he rest in peace with his family which is really all that counts, not your stupid comments.

• Grieving
    Aug. 27, 2009 4:06 p.m.

My condolences for the family that loses their patriarch. Death is seldom easy, but enough already.

• Lee, you're a sap
    Aug. 27, 2009 3:48 p.m.

Only positive comments are going to be posted? And I'm sure you're all for the fairness doctrine, as well. No biased media. Yeah, right.

• US Vet
    Aug. 27, 2009 3:20 p.m.

C'mon, lower Utah's flags at half-staff for Ted Kennedy...does the Governor know how to read???

• 47 years
    Aug. 27, 2009 2:06 p.m.

Too bad he couldn't learn anything. the worst economy since the Great depression and the lion of the senate never saw it coming. Senator Hatch is just as bad. And we keep electing them year after year to screw things up. Only in America.

• Why the 5-4 S.C. is liberal
    Aug. 27, 2009 12:04 p.m.

Ted Kennedy fought conservative Robert Bork's nomination to the Supreme Court on these grounds - and won,

"Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens for whom the judiciary is -- and is often the only -- protector of the individual rights that are the heart of our democracy... President Reagan is still our president. But he should not be able to reach out from the muck of Irangate, reach into the muck of Watergate and impose his reactionary vision of the Constitution on the Supreme Court and the next generation of Americans. No justice would be better than this injustice."

Those are not Utah's values.

• To Lost in Utah
    Aug. 27, 2009 11:53 a.m.

Let me tell you there are other areas of the country that will more freely cast verbal stones than here. You just expect that because are large portion are LDS that they shouldn't do that.

Also you say, "He clothed the naked, He fed the hungry, He gave shelter to the homeless! And he tried to provide medical care for them also".

NO HE DID NOT! He took your and my money to do that - we did that, BUT not by our own free will and choice.

I have a single Mom who is now living with my family trying to help her and her baby. I did that on my own free will.

So don't throw verbal stones and preach to me.

• Re: Think some more daveescaped
    Aug. 27, 2009 11:46 a.m.

Those incidents you mention are different than a man of full mental and physical capacity, who fled the scene of an accident and left a woman to drown, and then neglected to report the incident to authorities until after the body had already been found and the story was already making the news. Eyewitnesses the next morning said he was acting as though nothing was wrong, and that he'd called the front desk of his hotel a few hours after the accident to complain that he'd been woken up by a loud party down the hall. He then changed his story a few times, making himself sound more heroic each time, and paid off the woman's family so they wouldn't sue him. The young woman also left her things, including her purse and her hotel key, at the party, making it seem that she was going off alone with the senator and then planned to return to the party afterward.

Whether it was an honest accident or not, whether he truly was in shock and didn't realize what he was doing, his actions after the accident spoke volumes about his character.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 27, 2009 11:41 a.m.

The vitriol I've seen directed at Ted Kennedy in the last 2 days here at DN makes me think that many of those commenting have problems that Ted Kennedy and politics in general are not responsible for.

Find your humanity, people, and think what all the hate you're carrying around inside is doing to you.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 27, 2009 11:29 a.m.

To "Lost In Utah" Amen! You said it all perfectly.

• John Pack Lambert
    Aug. 27, 2009 11:11 a.m.

Mitt Romney is no Utahn. He was born and raised in Michigan. He has lived most of his adult life in Massachusetts.

• Blue
    Aug. 27, 2009 10:30 a.m.

I will not be lowering my flag to half mast.

• Think some more daveescaped |
    Aug. 27, 2009 10:27 a.m.

I think we all know someone who has made a really bad mistake. Recently, in my area we had an 85 year old lady strike and kill a 6 year old getting off a bus - is now any good she has done in her life completely undone by this accident? A soldier who uses poor judgement, and kills by friendly fire someone I played high school football with - who later went on to play pro ball and then enlisted - is that soldiers life now meaningless. The doctor wo makes a mistake in surgery, and looses his patient, should that person be condemmend for the rest of their life despite all the other people that same doctor positively touched. Do we vilify the pilot of a communter jet that misunderstood runway instructions and in the end caused an accident that took many lives, is that persons life and any good completely lost?

I think we don't look past others failures because we don't want to. If it were a brother or sister who made the mistake, we would grieve with them. But a political figure -there seems to be no room for forgiveness.

Way to stand tall Utah.

• Lost in Utah
    Aug. 27, 2009 10:15 a.m.

"He among you that is without sin let him cast the first stone." I am so happy to be in Utah where there are thousands of you people that are clean and pure and without sin so you can freely cast verbal stones at everyone you disagree with.

How sad that many members of the Mormon Church, that profess to be followers of Jesus Christ, do not do what He asked us to do or not do. Yes I am an active member of the Mormon Church but it is difficult at times like this to admit that I am because of the hate that comes so freely from so many of you.

Ted was a great man. He did many great things for the "least"! He clothed the naked, He fed the hungry, He gave shelter to the homeless! And he tried to provide medical care for them also.

Have you done these things? If you haven't you better start because that is what Jesus Christ said that we would all be judged on.

Good Luck!

• Chance
    Aug. 27, 2009 10:05 a.m.

It always has to turn to religion. Can't we just talk about these men politically and leave Mormonism out of it. They do not make as big a stink about things about Catholics or Baptists. Kennedy was a political snake, IMO. He did things that made me sick to my stomach, personally and politically. Just because he served long and had a popular political career doesn't mean that he is the best thing since fried chicken. (Although besides JFK, he was probably the best of the bunch.) Also, I dont like the word elitists. It shows a particular stink from the bottom up that I think many of us are guilty of. Most people are trying to become elitists. Aren't they?

• Neighbor
    Aug. 27, 2009 8:48 a.m.

No matter what you feel about the Kennedy family, please be aware that four brothers died while in service to the country. The first of these brothers was awarded the Navy Cross. Yesterday, there was a touching political cartoon in the press of three brothers welcoming their aged brother into their sloop. Utahans should all be sensitive to the family and their contributions, and we best stow any other notions at this time.

• daveescaped
    Aug. 27, 2009 8:44 a.m.

To No Teddy Lover. I must agree that I'm totally conflicted about his death. People can tell great stories of his kindness and service. But then there is Chappaquiddick. I've stayed out of any discussion because I don't think I can say kind things about him. But eventually the adulation reaches such a point that it might be important to point out his highly significant shortcomings. I mean, he walked away from a manslaughter charge that to my knowledge he rightly deserved. Drunk driving touches a nerve with me since it claimed the life of my cousin. If her killer were a lauded public figure I think this love fest would have made me sick. And it might have painted his supporters in a pretty unfavorable light. Do those who have such adulation for Ted really have ni issue with Chappaquiddick? It's just an honest question. Maybe I need to recheck my math. Maybe his good made up for his bad. I find that hard to believe though.

• teddy
    Aug. 27, 2009 8:34 a.m.

He was a person with all his flaws and human traits. The natural man is an enemy to God. And Teddy was the most natural man out there. He never did anything that wouldn't feed his inner desire for notoriety and power. RIP

• No Teddy Lover
    Aug. 27, 2009 7:57 a.m.

Chappaquiddick and the cover-up/silence afterward--trumps any good Ted Kennedy may have accomplished in his life.

• Warren Kay
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:23 p.m.

I wish my condolonces to his family and friends.

I personally could never embrace him because of Chappaquidick. I don't understand why the elite are not held to account. Though I disagree with many of his political views and personal traits, I do recognize the effectiveness he had in congress.

• Really Pathetic
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:13 p.m.

American was crafted from the debate of competing opinions and ideas. True patriotism embraces the debate of ideas, for that is what this freedom is all about. Demonizing those who don't share our opinion, spreading fear and hatred is how others in other places and other times have clung to power.

I have not always agreed with the Kennedy family politics, but no family has lost more and suffered as much as the Kennedy's have protecting the rights of people to choose freely to be liberal or conservative. They have paid for it with the blood of their own family, loosing three of four brothers to the cause. You don't have to like their politics, but you can respect their dedication and sacrifice they have made.

Thank heavens there are people out there that remember who they are, what they stand for and represent far overshadows some political party affiliation. There is time to stop, and respect those who has lost this day, even if it is someone we disagree with.

It is too bad class and respect are lost. It seems some have become Republicans first rather than fellow Americans. Real patriotism is in shambles.

• Glenda
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:50 p.m.

The way to get rid of your enemies is to make them your friends. That's what they do in Washington. They have to get along with each other to work together. Perhaps Kennedy didn't think like a Mormon but if they were hateful to him he would never want to be like them. Their job in Washington is to sway each other to think alike. It's called debate, not hate. Who's to say how much good rubbed off onto Sen. Kennedy from friends.

• Optmist
    Aug. 26, 2009 6:27 p.m.

It dose my heart good and it makes me proud to hear prominent leaders from our Utah community speak well of those from a party, that is not of our own.

It is much better than hearing all the bashing of our President and all that he tries to accomplish.
    It is better than hoping that all that our President does accomplish, eventually will fail.

I hope that these Utah leaders are contagious in their open minded recognition that there is good in all of us, regardless of our Party.

• Canadiandy
    Aug. 26, 2009 3:57 p.m.

I'm glad his suffering is over and he's gone to a better place.

I'm also inspired by Hatch and Romney showing true statesmanship in honouring the family and efforts of Kennedy.

Now I just hope the left-wing loons don't try to exploit his death ("Let's pass health-Care for Teddy") just to make political points out of it.

• Henry Drummond
    Aug. 26, 2009 2:57 p.m.

I remember a chance meeting I had with Senator Hatch and it didn't take long for the conversation to turn to Senator Kennedy. He truly admired him as a man who could get things done and find common ground on important issues. Senator Kennedy took his share of heat for backing causes unpopular with his base but we should also recognize that Senator Hatch has done the same. I remember some particular ugly commercials that were aired about the CHIPS program that criticized his friendship with Kennedy and his willingness to put together a program that has helped many many people.

I hope that others in the Senate will step forward in this difficult debate and follow their examples.

• Aric
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:33 p.m.

For all his faults, Ted Kennedy knew how to work toward a common good with people of different political persuasions. I wish more of the Utahns who have posted comments so far would figure that skill out. Too many Utahns favor ideology over pragmatism and common sense, and the result has not been in our state's best interest.

My sincere condolences to the Kennedys and to Sen. Hatch.

• fatts
    Aug. 26, 2009 1:23 p.m.

why do you fight with the un negotiable? let the dead rest and the live live in peace... while the unrestful disturb the peace with their restlessness, let them create their own destruction...

• It the "give and take. . ."
    Aug. 26, 2009 12:40 p.m.

. . . between Hatch and Kennedy, is there anyone who guesses about who did the giving and who did the taking? I think not.

• Lee
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:37 a.m.

I wonder if Ted Kennedy "bent" any of his liberal ideas to match up with Hatch?It seems that a conservative is "bi-partisan" when he adopts the liberal mind set.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:25 a.m.

Gee, I thought this was about Senator Kennedy's passing. What is all this rot about whether or not Romney is a Utahan?

As much as I did not like Kennedy's personal actions, the grief that a death of anyone brings to family and friends is regrettble.

To the Kennedy family, condolences on the loss of your family member.

• Linda
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:20 a.m.

I resent the statement "Romney is a Mormon; therefore, he's a Utahn at heart." Boy are we naive! 55% (at least) of Mormons are not from Utah nor the U.S., and don't even know of our Utahns. So, pretty much your statement is fatuous. Get your facts straight or keep your mouth shut!

Ted Kennedy had his faults (we don't know all the facts of the Chappaquiddick story) we all do, but his heart and soul was dedicated to the people. I'm not a liberal but I know this man saw through labels and fought for everyone. Thank you Mr. Kennedy for a long, wonderful life of love and concern for the American people.

• bud
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:16 a.m.

ted will be greatly missed, may god open his loving arms and welcome him home.. a job well done ted.,

• Americans First
    Aug. 26, 2009 10:01 a.m.

Reading through these comments I find myself wondering why some Republicans think it is more important to be a good member of their party than a good American. Ted Kennedy served in the United States Senate and represented the views of millions of Americans. Other great Americans represented other views and that competition of ideas and priorities is what makes our country great.

• Christopher Jones
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:56 a.m.

Mitt said some good things about Senator Kennedy. I wish he would now tell the story of how Kennedy was responsible for getting the steeple put on the Boston Temple. Thanks Senator Kennedy.

• Justice
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:45 a.m.

Why is Orrin Hatch so star struck by Teddy Kennedy???

• al
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:42 a.m.

Oh, Pleeeeeze, Matt @ 8:57 am. All Mormons do not embrace, nor relate to, the Utah culture.

• utecougar
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:31 a.m.

"Ted Kennedy, with all of his ideological verbosity and idealism, was a rare person who at times could put aside differences and look for common solutions."--Orrin Hatch.

So why don't you follow your "best friend's" example, Orrin? Geez, talk about ideological verbosity....

And no matter what National Review says, Orrin is NOT a liberal. Did they call him that just because he's a friend of Ted?

• rightascension
    Aug. 26, 2009 9:22 a.m.

My sympathy to Senator Hatch. It is always hard to lose a friend.

I remember years ago when Kennedy attended the funeral of Hatch's mother in a Midvale ward building.

The relationship of Hatch and Kennedy is not actually that odd. The real liberals and the real conservatives have more in common with each other than they do with the great middle ground of moderate mediocrity. And of course, it is the old story of inseparable friends, one wild and one steady.

• Hmmm
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:45 a.m.

Where's Chaffetz and Bishop?

• J
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:42 a.m.

Is Romney a Utahn?

• Opening Sentence
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:41 a.m.

Sorry, but Romney is not a Utahn.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:17 a.m.

Mitt's a Utahn?

• Sorry Lee Davidson, You're Wrong
    Aug. 26, 2009 8:16 a.m.

"Three Utahns who knew Sen. Ted Kennedy well – Sens. Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett, R-Utah, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney...

Hatch was perhaps Kennedy's best friend in the Senate, even though Hatch is a conservative Republican and Kennedy was a liberal Democrat."

Mr. Davidson, Mitt Romney is not a Utahn. He's a Boston elitist. In fact, you said it yourself, he's a "former Massachusetts Gov."

Hatch is not a "conservative Republican". Hatch is a flaming liberal. The National Review even named him "Latter Day Liberal".

Liberal ideology and irresponsible journalism go hand and hand these days.