Rock singer leads a protest at McDonald's

• DennisLee
    Sept. 4, 2009 6:37 p.m.

Chrissie Hynde is a big star even of some of you haven't heard of her. She has been a PETA backer since the group began. Factory Farms do treat animals as if they had no feelings. Factory Farms pollute the environment. There is a more humane way but Tyson and others won't change their methods to make sure that chickens are dead before they are dropped in the scald tank. These birds feel pain as much as much as any dog or cat. Chickens are intelligent birds who are denied all of their basic needs while alive. This issue isn't about Chrissie or PETA it is about how we treat other species and the earth. These big factory farms only care about profits and they treat animals as if they have no feelings at all. It does matter how a bird dies if it is going to be food. Have some compassion for these other species who feel fear, thirst, pain, and die horribly for fast food chains. Become aware and educate yourselves. It doesn't take much to do that and to choose humanely. Thank you.

• Chx
    Aug. 26, 2009 11:32 a.m.

why would you use euthinization to kill a bird? waste of euthinization. It would make the chicken taste funny plus, it dosent matter how it dies it is going to be food no matter what!

• Anonymous
    Aug. 25, 2009 5:42 p.m.

I have no idea who this lady is, but in her honor I bought a nice tasty chicken sandwich and enjoyed every bite!

• Pretend
    Aug. 25, 2009 5:35 p.m.

Let her go on pretending to sing and I'll go on pretending that what she thinks really matters.

• DesNews Facebook
    Aug. 25, 2009 5:29 p.m.

One of our fans Facebook said the following: "I think protesters should be educated before they spread gossip around. It would be interesting to find out there is really meat in mcdonald's foods."

• Plant Worker
    Aug. 25, 2009 5:04 p.m.

Some years ago I worked in a poultry processing plant here in the USA. We processed thousands of birds each day. They were stunned before being bled, and all expired long before their brief dip in the scalding tank.
    I have a hard time believing PETA's claim that birds are "scalded to death".

• I prefer your other protests...
    Aug. 25, 2009 4:07 p.m.

What happened to the "I'd rather be naked than wear fur!" campaign. That got my attention.

I still am disgusted by the PETA organization and how it all started, but it's always been about the money. PETA's very first "defamation" was an attack on a Maryland researcher in the early 80s that earned it a wealth of fame and $, but it was all lies and cost one of the most brilliant neurological researchers his entire fortune defending himself - as all charges were eventually dropped. He eventually found work some years later and developed ground breaking treatment techniques that has greatly improved the lives of stroke and spinal cord injured victims.

• mickey11
    Aug. 25, 2009 4:01 p.m.

The only thing that appears scalded in this story is Chrissie Hynde herself. If becoming a Vegan means looking like her someday, no thanks.

• Duder
    Aug. 25, 2009 3:38 p.m.

completely ignore 5 LDS prophets / they didn't forbide the eating of meat. They said they preferred not to eat meat. Big difference. And chopping up scripture is really fun. You can make anything okay. You want the rest of the verses?

• More scriptures
    Aug. 25, 2009 3:05 p.m.

Doctrine and Covenants 49:18-19:

18 And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;
    19 For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance.

• Tree-hugger
    Aug. 25, 2009 2:56 p.m.

There are the lower laws,
    and then there are the higher laws.

• re:Dude you didn't know | 2:32 p
    Aug. 25, 2009 2:54 p.m.

Duder, you double speak....
    What's your point???

You pulled one scripture (taken completely out-of-context, I might add) -- yet continue to completely ignore 5 LDS prophets (who should also be sinners, losing the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils -- using your red-neck logic).

• Roscoe
    Aug. 25, 2009 2:51 p.m.

Cosmo -
    The Pretenders were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005. Their first album is considered to be one of the best rock and roll albums of all time (Rolling Stone and VH1).

"failure" yea right. Good comment.

• Dude you didn't know
    Aug. 25, 2009 2:32 p.m.

84,000 utahns are out of work, for them it is a famine.
    And if we need to get into scripture, 1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
    2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
    3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

• goforit
    Aug. 25, 2009 2:25 p.m.

Please, all of you who are against treating god's creatures ethically, eat every meal at McDonalds, every day, for the rest of your lives (becase when you do we won't have to put up with you for as long as we would have if you educated youselves as to how and where most of our food comes from)

• kiaoraguy
    Aug. 25, 2009 2:10 p.m.

One more reason to not go out and buy that Pretenders album I've been avoiding getting for 25 years. By the by, I had a great lunch at KFC today- killed some veggies and animals for it. What a world...

• Silly Mormons
    Aug. 25, 2009 11:43 a.m.

It's sad that some LDS members will add in non-scriptural doctrines of their own like "Cola drinks are bad and evil",
    and yet completely IGNORE the printed words in the cannonized scriptures - not once, but TWICE!!!

"and it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine."

"And these" in repetition of the admonition to limit the eating of animal flesh "God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger."

• keeps going...
    Aug. 25, 2009 11:38 a.m.

Words of Wisdom...

Sadly, many Mormons today think bacon and eggs for breakfast, a burger and a milkshake for lunch, and a roast for dinner are somehow "necessary."

They've also been programmed to believe that things like obesity, cancer, heart disease, and diabetes are "naturally occurring" conditions.

• Elder Homer J. Simpson said:
    Aug. 25, 2009 11:30 a.m.

Ummm, chicken nuggets...arrrrggghhhhh!

• Cosmo
    Aug. 25, 2009 11:19 a.m.

Blah Blah Blah, another failure trying to get the limelight again!

• McHater
    Aug. 25, 2009 11:13 a.m.

Looks like about 8 people showed up to hand out unhappy meals. I should have gone just to get one. PETA is the best. I'm lovin' it.

• Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith
    Aug. 25, 2009 10:57 a.m.

President Joseph Fielding Smith's wife, Jesse Evans Smith, said, "my husband doesn't eat meat" and he felt a "disdain of meat and (a) love of vegetables."

• Elder John A. Widstoe
    Aug. 25, 2009 10:55 a.m.

"It was shown in the history of plant science that plants contain all the necessary food substances: proteins, fats, starches and the carbohydrates, minerals...water [and] vitamins. The Great builder of the earth provided well for the physical needs of His children. Countless varieties of edible plants, vegetables, cereals, fruits and nuts are yielded by Mother Nature for man's daily food. If one uses meat it must be used sparingly and in winter or famine only.... They who wish to be well and gain the promised reward stated in the Word of Wisdom must obey all of the law, not just part of it as suits their whim or their appetite, or their notion of its meaning."

• Pres. Heber J. Grant
    Aug. 25, 2009 10:54 a.m.

.. stated, "I think that another reason I have very splendid strength for an old man is that during the years we have had a cafeteria... I have not, with exception of not more than a dozen times, ordered meat of any kind. ...I have endeavored to live the Word of Wisdom and that, in my opinion, is one reason for my good health."

• Pres. Lorenzo Snow
    Aug. 25, 2009 10:52 a.m.

Concerning the Word of Wisdom, Lorenzo Snow paid "special attention to that part which relates to the use of meat, which he considered just as strong as that which related to the use of liquors and hot drinks."

• Such Role Models
    Aug. 25, 2009 10:48 a.m.

Hey, quick. Remind me to care about what some obscure third-rate rock star thinks about what he eats. I'm going to have my own counter-protest today at McDonalds. I'm going to pull up in the drive through, and order a 12-piece McNugget, a large Diet Coke, and 2 cherry pies. And I'll do it in honor of, oh, what's his name? So if the Deseret News wants to cover it, they can get in contact with my agent.

• Bro. Joe
    Aug. 25, 2009 10:48 a.m.

Joseph Smith added a clear cautionary warning to Genesis 9: 11 in the Joseph Smith Translation (found on page 797 of the current LDS biblical index section) reads, "...surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands."

• meatyes
    Aug. 25, 2009 10:14 a.m.

No anger here Roscoe, it seems that PETA is the dieing breed to me, everyone knows how extreme they are definetley not in the mainstream culture!

• Anonymous
    Aug. 25, 2009 9:12 a.m.

I wish I had been infomed of the protest in advance, I would have stopped by the McDonalds to get some food. And I'm not really a huge fan of that place.

Aug. 25, 2009 8:54 a.m.

and peta-DUMB!!!!! If these yo-yo's at peta would spend half as much time, money, effort, concern and anything else they put into protecting people as much as they do animals, this world would be a far - far - far - far - far - far, and might I add FAR!!! better place. Oh, I forgot, they were all animals in a previous life, my bad.

Hey, I have a great idea, lets all pick-it peta from now on, for cruelty to all of us normal "people" having to listen to their garbage all the time!!!

• and you
    Aug. 25, 2009 8:51 a.m.

Mr/Ms wrote most of the comments are using up bandwidth with your repetitive comments. The Pretenders continue to be well-known in their genre.

• Roscoe
    Aug. 25, 2009 8:33 a.m.

The comments of a fringe and dying breed. "Family values" folks that are against the ethical treatment of animals and don't know who the Pretenders are. Does your irrelevance spawn your anger? Go Chrissie!

• meatyes!
    Aug. 25, 2009 8:31 a.m.

I love meat, I think I will go and eat some chicken mcnuggets and eat them in front of the PETA people haha!! mabye I will even get a group to go with me an eat some mcnuggets!!, we will see how they like that!

• Message to PETA
    Aug. 25, 2009 8:25 a.m.

Go tell somebody that cares - right now, you are using up precious oxygen in my space!

• Just trying to stay relevant.
    Aug. 25, 2009 8:24 a.m.

Chrissie has to pull stunts like this, otherwise the only she'd be remembered for nowadays is writing the intro theme to the Rush Limbaugh Show.

• PETA
    Aug. 25, 2009 8:02 a.m.

People eating tasty animals - Go PETA!

• lawl
    Aug. 25, 2009 7:42 a.m.

This Article made me hungry!!!! I think I might go get some nuggets. Who is this band "pretenders" anyway? At least get somebody people know to run your "hippie fest"

• Anonymous
    Aug. 25, 2009 7:40 a.m.

this article put me in the mood for some McDonalds. I think I'll stop by for lunch. They must love the free advertising...

• Yeah, yeah, yeah
    Aug. 25, 2009 6:46 a.m.

The Pretenders - that's good - because they are. They're just seeking media coverage and it's all about them - it has nothing to do with chickens or animals. At least they weren't flinging paint and causing property damage or injury. Factory farming? If you've ever eaten chicken, you've eaten factory farmed chicken. Free range? It's all pretend.

• Chicken lover
    Aug. 25, 2009 1:24 a.m.

Yes but chicken taste so good! You know they say it’s the way you prepare it that makes it so succulent. McDonald’s brings fast food more economically and profitable than anyone in the business. Quit trying to ride piggyback off them in hopes of ending your ennui. It is not your place to force your misconceptions on the rest of us. There are other ways to make yourself famous. My kids love he McNuggets so lay off man!

• Fellow animal
    Aug. 24, 2009 7:13 p.m.

PETA is irresponsible and dishonest. They have misrepresented medical research involving animals while enjoying the benefits. Their president is an insulin dependent diabetic whose insulin was developed with dog experimentation. Mickey D's has bad food. PETA has bad credibility.

• Jason
    Aug. 24, 2009 6:43 p.m.

PETA and its members are liars!! Domestic terrorist do not deserve news time. And I don't even like McDonalds, at least until today. I love animals, they're delicious!!!