LDS Church dedicates Oquirrh Mountain 13th Utah temple

Onlookers sing 'Happy Birthday' to Pres. Monson

• hominid
    Aug. 27, 2009 5:21 p.m.

Kevin Branham discussed the people born since recorded history. What about those before? Cro-Magnon man? Neanderthal? Australopithicus?

How about including extinct mammals in the murals of the world rooms. Human hands painted them in European caves about 25,000 years ago. Don't those people deserve salvation by proxy ordinances?

• To: Dave 7:12 am
    Aug. 23, 2009 1:53 p.m.

Great question. Elder Scott (I think) addressed that question in a recent ensign article (July?). He basically suggested that when temples are closer and easier to attend, the result can often be that trips to the temple are also easier to cancel. His conclusion is that we say to ourselves "I can just as easily go next Saturday when I'm a bit less busy, since it's only 15 minutes away" whereas when a temple was 5 hours away, a person would plan an all-day trip and stick to it because it was a more significant effort to get there. A plan was probably committed to far in advance, and time set aside for that purpose.

Just a thought. I believe Elder Scott may be on to something.

• Dave
    Aug. 23, 2009 7:12 a.m.

So many have attended the open house and the dedications and yet so few attend temple? Why is this? How do we turn the crowds at the dedication into crowds at the temple?

• Kevin Branham
    Aug. 23, 2009 12:58 a.m.

I researched the number of people who have likely been born since recorded history--about 80-105 Billion souls. Recently, I reviewed the total names archived by the LDS Church Family and Individual Records department--about 10-11 Billion living and dead, or just over 10-12% of all the people who have lived in recorded human history. Joseph Smith received significant revelations by fall 1841 in Nauvoo, Illinois, wherein he laid out the ordinances of baptism and other work that is to be completed for every person who has or will ever live. Since this work is performed only in temples, we have the gigantic task before us to accomplish this by those who are temple goers, and the first 100 million people had their work done by 1993. The next 100 million has been nearly completed as of this year, just over 15 years or 10 times the rate of the first 100 million. An acceleration of 10-15 times the pace we are currently on will finish the names of all mankind by the end of the 1000 year Millenium; 80+ years for the first Billion at present rates. This is the greatest work of all time.

• 13 in Utah -- chronological list

47 Bountiful Utah 08 January 1995
    49 Mount Timpanogos Utah 13 October 1996
    51 Vernal Utah 02 November 1997
    53 Monticello Utah 26 July 1998
    129 Draper Utah 20 March 2009
    130 Oquirrh Mountain Utah 21 August 2009

(The number before each temple refers to its order in the church's chronological list, based on date of original dedication. As you can see, Utah had a 74-temple drought between 1998 and 2009, so I'd say they were due for another one (or two). Looking forward to watching the dedication at our stake center tomorrow!

• 13
    Aug. 22, 2009 11:06 p.m.

The 13th is Manti, not the 14th.

• johnj
    Aug. 22, 2009 9:52 p.m.

Beautiful building, especially lit up at night. But please don't baptize my ancestors...please!

• 14th is Manti
    Aug. 22, 2009 8:35 p.m.

Not "Green River"

• JAlan
    Aug. 22, 2009 8:23 p.m.

14? - Green River? count again

• Anonymous
    Aug. 22, 2009 7:24 p.m.

How much did this building cost?

• 14?
    Aug. 22, 2009 7:07 p.m.

Their are 14 temples in Utah from Logan to St. George,, They are starting from Cache County, to Down South , They are ,Logan, Ogden, Bountiful , Salt Lake, Jordan River, Draper, Ocher Mountain Mt Timp, Provo, Vernal, Monticello, Green River, & St.George,

• Harold
    Aug. 22, 2009 6:06 p.m.

Blessing are in store. I am so proud of the progressive growth of the church. The restored gospel is being recieved well by converts to the Lords Church.

• Gertie
    Aug. 22, 2009 1:34 p.m.

To. Katamb and everyone:
    Please let's keep this civil and respectful. There's no need for heat in this discussion.

• Re: How Inspirational
    Aug. 22, 2009 11:58 a.m.

Get over yourself. If it's not special to you, fine, but it is to a LOT of people, so don't be rude!

• Laurels
    Aug. 22, 2009 9:16 a.m.

The Oquirrh Mountain Temple is beautiful! It's grand staircases up the middle of the temple are breathtaking. I love the etched stars and circles in the windows. The circle symbolism throughout the temple was particularly nice. It is such a privilege and blessing to have another House of the Lord in the Salt Lake Valley. I hope that many gain strength and hope within the walls of this temple.

• anonymous
    Aug. 22, 2009 8:50 a.m.

I wonder? | 5:11 p.m. Aug. 21, 2009
    Why would lightning strike a temple? I don't get it!

The Church puts a lightning rod with the Angel Moroni on top of the temples because it's the "highest point." This time it HIT the rod - as it was supposed to so it didn't destroy the building.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 22, 2009 8:46 a.m.

86,000 members in this temple area but only 1500 or so got t attend a service in the building. I know it will be broadcast to local churches on Sunday, but how do you get a golden ticket to the first service? Is it for the people who live in Daybreak, the church leaders?

• Moroni
    Aug. 22, 2009 8:32 a.m.

The reason for Moroni on the Temple is to act as a lightening rod...that was the original intention. It keeps the temple safer.

Yup, and I'm a non-mormon and know this...sheesh

• How Inspirational
    Aug. 22, 2009 8:31 a.m.

Isn't it just so very special-- NOT! Reminds me of a world's fair pavilion with a plastic angel on top.

• Pale Bear
    Aug. 22, 2009 3:28 a.m.

"surely you don't think God is building them, or deciding where to build them, do you? don't your leaders make these kinds of decisions?"

Yes, we do believe that God is deciding where to build them. We believe that President Monson is a Prophet, which means he receives inspiration and revelation as to what the Lord wants done. Is the exact plot of land chosen by the Lord? I don't know that one for sure, but I do know that He can make things happen in miraculous ways--the property to build on was donated by Kennecott. I believe that you can see the hand of the Lord in all stages of temple building, starting with the direction to build it in the first place.

• shawilli
    Aug. 22, 2009 2:33 a.m.

I was noting that Sister Monson is using a walker and looks rather frail, is she not well? I guess that is why President Monson has not done very much travelling compared to President Hinckley. I do hope she gets better, she always looks to kind and sweet in the pictures I have seen of her.

• Don in Afghanistan
    Aug. 21, 2009 11:44 p.m.

I'm grateful for the generally uplifting comments that have been posted thus far. While I am currently a long way from my home in Utah, it makes me happy to know that this great work of temple building is moving forward. I hope there will be many who will appreciate and take advantage of the tremendous blessings of the temple. Thanks, Deseret News, for this story on the Oquirrh Mountain Temple dedication (and I thank the new Yahoo! homepage for making it plainly available to me)!

• Cats
    Aug. 21, 2009 6:25 p.m.

Just a little information...According to President Bateman, Utah has about 13% of the Church membership but 25% of the active members. That's one reason why a lot of Temples are built in Utah.

@to - Take a Hint...Christ did good works always, but on the Sabbath he worshipped in the synagogue. Attending Church and taking the sacrament is a commandment from our Father in Heaven. That's the answer to the question you were asking.

The Temples are built under the direction of Jesus Christ and are there for the blessing of all of God's children. Each one that goes up is a great blessing to everyone, especially the people in the area.

I'm so grateful for my opportunity to live within a block of a Temple. It is a great blessing to everyone in our community.

• Great question Ann
    Aug. 21, 2009 5:11 p.m.

I believe that they base the temple construction on how full the temple sessions are at surrounding temples. While I am sure it can be argued several ways as to when and where a temple will be built I know that because of the money and resources they require no hasty decisions are made. As to the appearance of the temples and churches it has always seemed that the church tries, generally speaking, to match the temple and its look to surrounding architecture which is not an exact science and of course due to the size it is not an exact match either.

Ultimately it is all about providing opportunities for LDS members to have an opportunity to attend and build themselves spiritually. Also to learn the lessons of the belief in eternal families.

Great question-thanks.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 21, 2009 5:11 p.m.

TO== John Pack Lambert | 3:00 p.m

once again, way more info,than anyone in their right mind would want. you are espousing information that no one wants. if you were to put all that research time into something that would actually benefit mankind, the world would be a better (and less boring) place...

• I wonder?
    Aug. 21, 2009 5:11 p.m.

Why would lightning strike a temple? I don't get it!

• to - Born Again! | 1:58 p.m
    Aug. 21, 2009 5:09 p.m.

["The new Statue Moroni, having been born again and washed of the blackening lightening strike, looked magnificent and in true form today!"]

I'm sorry - again, I'm not familiar with your ways... was Moroni born again or are you talking about a statue? and if a statue (which I believe you are, and I assume it was hit by lightning), how is it "born again"?

if you are using "born again" as a metaphor for the statue being repaired, that's probably not really very appropriate... born again indicates a living thing, not an inanimate object. It kind of implies a greater connection to God, and I don't think God cares about statues (in fact I don't think He likes them at all...)

just trying to understand....

• RE-- Anonymous | 12:51 p.m
    Aug. 21, 2009 5:02 p.m.

--->Doesn't seem proportionate, does it?

Personally, I don't feel that it's wise to second guess the Lord, who sees what we don't see, and knows the needs and abilities of everyone, everywhere. ----

I don't think the poster was second guessing God... they were wondering about your man-made temples...

• to - Take a Hint | 11:05 a.m
    Aug. 21, 2009 4:55 p.m.

["Too many of us treat the Temple lightly and are not willing to set aside the time required to attend a session on a monthly basis. However, we are willing to set aside time to go on dates with our spouse each month. How about attend the Temple on one of these Friday night dates?"]

one of the cornerstones of mormonism is family. to spend Friday night with your spouse is more than appropriate. Saturday night too...

how about you not put so much emphasis on your temples and put more on the family? how about Sunday the family go on a picnic at the park instead of services? it's not like God is just at your temple - God is everywhere, and He would be more pleased seeing a family all playing and laughing together than He would be seeing them sitting in a building all quiet and solumn....

• katamb
    Aug. 21, 2009 4:53 p.m.

Mr. Annonymous - your comments are so bizzare! They make you sound like a weird old man who will be swearing at people as they use the sidewalk outside your house to walk to the temple. You called me stupid the other day because I didn't know about Sunstone. GET A GRIP or go live in the mountains somewhere.

• Geraldine
    Aug. 21, 2009 4:48 p.m.

We need more than one temple in many countries. Inside, we do necessary ordinance work for our ancestors who have gone before us. And with many members going many times during the year some places need more. Utah is one of them. In Arizona we had only one temple for many, many years. Now there is another one in Snowflake, and one more being built and two more in the preparation state. In many countries in the past it has been very difficult and expensive for members to get to a temple even once in a lifetime. This is why temples are being taken closer to all the members, for which we are very grateful. And since the temples are literally houses of the Lord we build them as nice as we can, as was done in Old Testament times. The temple In Jesus' time was very beautiful. And He accepted it as His Father's House.

Thank you for asking.

• One of the flock
    Aug. 21, 2009 4:38 p.m.

Happy Birthday President Monson.

You asked for something special for your birthday, and I gave it--just wanted you to know!

Thanks for your great example.

• Re: Ann O'Day
    Aug. 21, 2009 4:35 p.m.

You ask a very good question. I'm not sure that it can be fully answered here,but I'll give it a shot.

The Lord loves every one of his children--those that have lived, those now living, and those yet unborn. God loves His children so much that He offered His Son Jesus Christ, to bless each of our lives.

Within the walls of the temple, the fullness of the blessings provided from Christ's atonement are freely offered to humanity. Because the Lord loves each and every one of us, he wants these blessings to be made available to all his children--past, present, future. This is a big task, and temples are needed to provide these blessings.

Each week as I go to the temple to bless the lives of our Heavenly Father's children, I am more deeply impressed with how much our Father and His Son Jesus Christ love us. If this is what the temple can do for us, then I wish there were temples everywhere--available to all on a weekly basis.

For more understanding, visit Temple Square--it's a great place for answers.

• Robo
    Aug. 21, 2009 4:33 p.m.

Why so many? Temples are different than chapels as you have noted. Chapels are for Sunday worship and use during the week for all members and visitors. Temples are for qualified members to obtain special ordinances that bind families together for eternity. It has been difficult for those who live far from temples to have those ordinances performed. So the church is trying to make a temple reasonably accessible for members throughout the world. There are quite a few in Utah simply because there are a lot of temple attenders in Utah and the existing temples just aren't able to handle the volume. I hope that helps.

• Dear Ann
    Aug. 21, 2009 4:28 p.m.

The answer is available. There is a great deal of attention that must be paid to the human family and the number of those who have passed on is large. We love all the human family regardless of when they lived upon the earth. Thanks for asking.

• Why so many?
    Aug. 21, 2009 3:31 p.m.

I am not LDS, but wonder why so many Temples are needed. I see lots of Churches and Temples. While the Churches sometimes are plain the Temples are beautiful.
    But is one needed in every county?
    Just wondering.

Ann O'Day in Sandy

• John Pack Lambert
    Aug. 21, 2009 3:00 p.m.

To the 11:30 and 2:58 commentator,
    Probably in the general vicinity of 15% of total members of the Churh live in Utah, this is a rough guess on my part. So 10% of temples would seem low. However, not all temples have the same capacity. Compading sizes directly does not work, because Salt Lake Temple has rooms used for the weekly meetings of the First Presidency and 12, and then there is the factor of temples with full laundries and cafetrias having more non-ordiance space, but the fact that over half the temples is Utah are over 100,000 square feet (Bountiful and Mt. Timp are both 104,000) while all temples in Mexico except Mexico City (which is about 116,000 square feet) are under 20,000 square feet (9 or the 12 temples in Mexico are 10,700 square feet, and there is a temple smaller than that) means that the comparison of numbers of temples is complexed and not straight forward.
    Then of course there is the fact that all 15 or so temples currently officially anounced and under construction or in planning are outside of Utah.

• Born Again!
    Aug. 21, 2009 1:58 p.m.

The new Statue Moroni, having been born again and washed of the blackening lightening strike, looked magnificent and in true form today! It is rather symbolic of what the Temple can do for each of us in our own lives.

• To: Fun Tradition
    Aug. 21, 2009 1:26 p.m.

Problem with "Dinner and a Movie" is that neither the Oquirrh Mountain nor the Draper temple has a cafeteria! Indeed, the Church seems to have phased out cafeterias in all the new temples. Looks like you'll have to "brown bag" it at these temples!

• Comparative %
    Aug. 21, 2009 1:17 p.m.

The comparative percentage of LDS members in Utah was 1.8 million in 2006, which was approximately 16% of total membership with temples in Utah now equaling approximately 10% of membership. Of course, temples in Utah are typically larger, but seems like a pretty solid # correlation of temples to membership. Just some fun stats.

• To Anonymous 11:30
    Aug. 21, 2009 12:58 p.m.

Your statement doesn't make sense. There only 13 temples in Utah.

I don't know what the percentage of members in Utah vs. the world is but I'm sure the percentage is far more than the 13 temples in Utah vs. 130 temples worldwide.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 21, 2009 12:51 p.m.

>Doesn't seem proportionate, does it?

• shawilli
    Aug. 21, 2009 12:49 p.m.

I am pleased with the new temple and wish the saints much happiness and peace as they attend and strive to draw closer to the Lord.

• Paul
    Aug. 21, 2009 11:58 a.m.

Take a Hint - and you would know that "too many of us aren't willing..." by what means?

• Anonymous
    Aug. 21, 2009 11:30 a.m.

13 Temples in Utah and yet there are more LDS members outside the United States than inside it? Doesn't seem proportionate, does it?

• John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
    Aug. 21, 2009 11:24 a.m.

It is a beautiful place to be, glad I was able to take the tour in.

• Fun Tradition
    Aug. 21, 2009 11:09 a.m.

Instead of going out to a Movie or restaurant for a spouse date, my parents have occassionaly gone to the Temple and eaten at the cafeteria after a session. They call it "Dinner and a Movie" and have passed on that tradition to their children. Its a fun and uplifting spouse date each month...not to mention affordable!

• Take a Hint
    Aug. 21, 2009 11:05 a.m.

Church services have been cancelled Sunday by Chuch Presidency.

We need to read between the lines and dedicate more of our time and energy in faithful Temple Service.

• It was awesome
    Aug. 21, 2009 11:01 a.m.

I was incredibly blessed to be in the 162 member cornerstone choir which sang this morning during the Oquirrh Mountain Temple cornerstone placement. What an awesome experience! The spirit of the Lord was so strong and powerful. I felt the Lord and his angels close at hand as we celebrated through song the dedication and placement of the cornerstone in His newest Holy edifice. I will never forget this day and how privilaged I was to be a part of the music welcoming the Lord to His Holy House.