Utah Utes football: Wynn downplays promotion to No. 1 QB

• kari
    Aug. 29, 2009 10:56 p.m.

i remember jordan eating pnj's in jr high inbetween classes to bulk up. kids come a long way! great consitency!!!!

• Re: speechless
    Aug. 17, 2009 9:28 p.m.

6 months equals 24 weeks, which means that he gained about 2 pounds a week. If you had listened in your seventh grade health class then you would know that 2 pounds a week, either in losing or gaining weight, is the healthy way to change your weight.

• Re: Discovega
    Aug. 17, 2009 5:13 p.m.

He'll be a flop just like Ben Olson was for BYU. I wouldn't put too much stock in a freshman QB who hasn't played a single snap in college football.

• Dicovega
    Aug. 17, 2009 12:08 p.m.

I watched Wynn play in San Diego. This kid is serious and has a bright future. Watch out MWC, the Ute's a poised to dominate for years to come. -- Oh the joy of being a Ute!

• speechless
    Aug. 17, 2009 5:58 a.m.

40+ pounds in 6 months? Wow, the Utes must have magical peanut butter. Sounds like someone has A-Rod on speed dial.

• nice comparison
    Aug. 16, 2009 11:54 p.m.

Hall and Johnson...dead even. I'll be objective and buy that. the differnce in winning a sugar bowl and losing a vegas bowl is the rest of the players. Hall will be better this year, he's a gamer. Wynn could be a big surprise, but all he has to be is consistent, not great. It's about the system, and the Utes have a strong machine right now. The only two real question marks are Oregon and TCU...gonna be a fun season!

Utes are definetly building on last year, not scratching their heads trying to fix problems. a much better mental state to be in to start a season.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 16, 2009 4:46 p.m.

Do all you Ute fans still think you can beat go undefeated and beat Florida with a Frosh??

BYU will get hammered by OU, FSU, and TCU

• Mr. J
    Aug. 16, 2009 1:32 a.m.

i'll admit that i am as nervous as all get out for this season. i hope this isn't just a developmental idea for seasons to come. we are too talented this year for that. i really hope wynn is really the best.

but you can't not trust whit. to big a resume. seems risky. but...

• good luck utah
    Aug. 16, 2009 12:51 a.m.

Having a freshman as a starter could mean good things down the road in his later years but as a freshman you can guarantee he will struggle. Depending on future non-conference SOS it will be interesting to see how he handles himself against strong opponents. You can never tell with a new QB.

• RE re your boy
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:19 p.m.

"Wynn makes Utah vulnerable... Max won't lose to lesser talent"

Hmm?!? ***scratching head*** ...

7-5 Arizona 31
    10-2 BYU 21

• TDS Fans Remind Me Of...
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:18 p.m.

....little poodles yapping at big dogs from the safety of a living room window.

• RE Yes
    Aug. 15, 2009 10:39 p.m.

"Long live medicority!!! MWC=BYU"

I think every Ute will agrees with you that the medicore program in the MWC is BYU. Ok the other hand national stage is BCS!!! MWC = Utah

• Re: Your boy
    Aug. 15, 2009 10:23 p.m.

Here's a little food for thought:

I went through and looked at every game in which Brian Johnson and Max Hall played a significant portion of the snaps. I only looked at games won or lost against teams that ended the season with a winning record (i.e. they won at least 50% or more of their games, including post-season bowl games).

Interestingly enough, Brian Johnson and Max Hall are dead even. Against teams with a winning record, Brian Johnson has 10 wins and 5 losses. Max Hall has 8 wins and 4 losses. On a percentage basis, it's exactly equal: 67% wins, 33% losses.

Despite what you may believe, Brian Johnson is not that great of a QB.

• Hawaii Ute
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:53 p.m.

Can someone tell me why I don't see James Aiono on the team roster? Did he end up not coming to Utah?

• Outside of Utah
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:05 p.m.

I consider this decision to be important, and this story interesting, and I am glad to have read it. I'm tickled by the "vanilla reaction" quote, I've never heard that before, it's a funny cool way to downplay the matter. As far as some of the comments here, I'm surprised at any second-guessing of this decision. The head coach has an up close and personal microscopic (even intimate) view of the player. I'm sure that the coach who prepared and put into the Sugar Bowl the players that beat Alabama, I'm sure he knows which one of his quarterbacks can best run his offense. Also, to doubt the player based solely on the fact he is a true freshman, that's just prejudice and ignorance, even cynicism: judge people on what they actually do, and not on your own limited speculations and expectations about them. Lastly, the comments are funny for the way they veer into BYU territory... what's BYU got to do with the story? Nothing, but I guess some people just think that everything is always about them (or in this case, everything's always about BYU).

• re: your boy.
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:46 p.m.

wow your logic is amazing! The vast majority of colleges in any conference would take max halls w/l record. Also, maybe max continues to struggle against upper echelon teams but that is not the point. The liabilities of Wynn would certainly guarantee utah those same loses against teams like OU. However, Max wont lose any games against teams of similar or lesser talent. Wynn makes utah much more vulnerable now to "bad" loses. And to the previous byu poster who wants to wear pads. Don't automatically assume Wynn was named starter because right now he "must" be destroying the competetion or be way more talented. From how it sounds all 3 quarterbacks are stacked pretty evenly so the coaches decided to start the freshman and baptize wynn by fire to make him better in FUTURE years. Dont be foolish and think Wynn is out performing the other candidates. Being younger he gets the nod. BYU tried a similar experiment with john beck. Did it turn out so good the first year??? Wynn will be solid just not THIS year.

• Your boy
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:33 p.m.

Wynn should take under water basketweaving, and nothing else. He needs all the extra time to get ready for the season. I hope he is as good as the coaches think he is. BYU fans please! You have enough problems of your own. Max Hall? How does he play against teams with a winning record? Maybe you should be looking for a quarterback.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 15, 2009 7:48 p.m.

He put on 43 pounds since January? Yeah right...anybody done a "chemical"test on this boy?

• Anonymous
    Aug. 15, 2009 7:06 p.m.

Heaps is graduating early to participate in spring ball.

This BYU fan thinks that this Wynn kid must be a stud to get the nod as a freshman.

• somebody who actually wears pads
    Aug. 15, 2009 6:40 p.m.

first off i'll open this by saying i'm a byu fan that is usually wearing my perscreption blue goggles, first off i feel like i better apologize for some of these byu fans who have already posted here...their idiots! This bodes really well for utah...louks is a great quarterback and if he was beat out by this kid while he had every advantage (experience, size, knowing the system) it means that wynn must be an amazing quarterback...is he the next alex smith probably not(I still think he was kinda not that good he just had urban the god coaching him) but i see him being able to be the next brian johnson (maybe this time minus the injuries:) and he's showed some great work ethic by putting on 45 pounds, i'm in the middle of attempting to gain 25 pounds in 12 weeks and let me tell you from experience its hard!

• All the smart
    Aug. 15, 2009 6:23 p.m.

Byu fans commenting on exactly what they are going to deal with next year. I am sure their spin will be totally different though. I wonder if Heaps will try and Graduate early so he can be involved in spring ball?

• and the U
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:52 p.m.

melt down begins. . . . He wont last one game and now your real QB is pissed off. Good luck with that locker room karma. . .

• Dog
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:48 p.m.

I'm totally jealous; that sounds like the perfect diet that I'd love to follow. Problem is if I followed it I'd gain about 200 lbs.

Congrats kid, do us proud!

• Still more comments
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:14 p.m.

(Oops on the typo above...)

PS - regardless of the QB decision, we still have an awesome D, so even if Wynn has a few rough edges, our D will keep us in a lot of games.

• More commetns
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:10 p.m.

To Soccer Boy: that was AWESOME! You get the award for the best new BYU joke in at least the last 10 years!

To Whit Must Go: try and remember, this is the coach that has led our program to the BCS a mere 8 months ago, after inheriting a program in '04 that was in serious jeopardy of falling flat on its face after Meyer and his staff left and all the seniors from the Fiesta Bowl team graduated.

Whether Louks stays or goes will not make or break this program. I'm sure he's disappointed, but it's not like it was last year's starter that got dethroned. If they put Wynn in over a returning starter, that would be totally different.

It could get interesting, but it's nothing to fire the coach over. Football's still played 11-on-11, and Wynn has lots of help: a strong O-line, solid RB's and a great WR corps.

Can't wait till 9/3! GO UTES!!

• ute4ever
    Aug. 15, 2009 2:10 p.m.

I can't wait to see a true freshman outplay a senior Heisman hopeful, utes are here to stay and happy valley needs to get over the fact that utah has passed your program!!

• "vanilla reaction"!
    Aug. 15, 2009 2:09 p.m.

Because hes a VANILLA player!

• re:already knows the plays
    Aug. 15, 2009 1:38 p.m.

For all of you who think Louks "already knows the plays," remember the Utes have a new offensive coordinator. Louks knows SOME of the plays, but it is a new system. Apparently Wynn is picking up the system better.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Aug. 15, 2009 1:24 p.m.

Sounds like this guys a real winner. 6'1" 190 lbs. Now that we have a qb the size of a BYU qb, we might actually get some offensive production!

• Re: Ernest
    Aug. 15, 2009 1:15 p.m.

You never cease to make clever comments. Thanks for the laughs!

• Got to love Y fans!
    Aug. 15, 2009 1:10 p.m.

As the Y fans continue to mock the U and Whits selection in Wynn for the qb spot do they not realize the very real possibility exists that the Y will be starting a freshman next year? Before all the Y fans go nuts saying that Heaps is the 2nd coming and Wynn is not just realize that he threw 32 td's his senior season at 150 lbs. With his increased size, strenth and performance in spring and fall camp, Wynn's stock has risen dramatically.

• Wynn
    Aug. 15, 2009 12:57 p.m.

Gives the Utes the best chance to win bottom line. The Utes will be a run first team with Asiata but with all the athletes at wr Wynn is the best to get them the ball down field.

• easy road
    Aug. 15, 2009 12:50 p.m.

easy road would have been to start Louks (I was pulling for him and he looked great to me last year). A lot harder to pick the best without being political-- a credit to the coaches.

• RE: Soccer Boy
    Aug. 15, 2009 12:21 p.m.

I think your comment is suitable for framing! I would even wear a T-shirt with that on it. The "Quest for Perforation"
    The 2009 Paperfield Champions

• Utah Man
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:59 a.m.

The poor zoobs. They're smack lets you know how "nervous" they are. I would be feeling the pressure too if I knew the first game of the season was do or die to my BCS hopes. How confidant do you really feel? Knowing that Max and the boys are already on a two game losing streak going into Dallas. The last game was against a mediocre Pac-10 Arizona and the next game is against the reigning Heisman Trophy winner and the team that was in the Championship Game against Florida. A bit of a step up in the competition and you haven't added to your arsenol. I will be cheering for the Cougars who will be representing our Conference. I hope you win and that you win big. It will be great for your program, the conference and the game in November when Wynn has had 11 games under his belt and he's heard a season full of your SMACK. Oh I would be nervous Cougars..VERY nervous. GO UTES!!!

• Utah Mann
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:42 a.m.

Wow cougies...sounds like you all are so nervous that UTAH has found the next alex smith, you might have two bowls of ice cream at the creamery tonight. This is great!!! UTAH is the new quarterback factory in this stateanyway. Wynn is the man and I FULLY trust in Whit. Ute fans stand behind our new QB. Yes there will be a turnover or two every game, but we will still win 10 games and be ranked in the top 15 after the season!!!! You heard it from me first. The cougs will lose 4 games.

• I love how
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:26 a.m.

all you Ute fans now have 2 BCS wins and still spend all your time trying to suck up to BYU fans. Set your sights a little higher.

• Ute fan
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:13 a.m.

wow, how we let that little school down south rattle us... who cares what slcc says about Wynn and the utes and the bcs... who cares that slcc goes to the vegas bowl... focuse brothers on Utah football not slcc or uvsc or whatever you call them now the team down south byu

• Soccer Boy
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:12 a.m.

I hear BYU is tearing out the turf at the stadium and replacing it with paper...they can't win the big game on grass, they can't win the big game on artificial turf...but they ALWAYS win on paper!!

• comments
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:02 a.m.

these comments are great...I love reading them! I'm a huge Utah fan and admire the whit, wisdom and truth that Utah fans post here. Keep it up. Go Utes, beat BYU, if anyone!

• Mr. Moa
    Aug. 15, 2009 10:59 a.m.

Max Hall is no taller than 5'10.....You ever seen him in person? Jordan Wynn's size is not an issue, he will do just fine.

• Tiny?
    Aug. 15, 2009 10:41 a.m.

He's an in taller and 6 pounds lighter than Maxine the wonder pony.

• Re: Wynn is TINY
    Aug. 15, 2009 10:16 a.m.

Hes a lot bigger than Max Hall.

• Wynn is TINY
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:55 a.m.

Wow, that kid is tiny, don't you think? Do Ute fans honestly think Wynn will lead them back to the BCS? One good hit on that kid and he's toast! Can he even see over the O-line?

Wynn, I wish you the best of luck...but maybe you should look into getting a booster seat or wearing some arm floaties for extra protection.

• RE to yes
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:52 a.m.

Id be more worried about the Horned Frogs taking your trophy this early.

• akk
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:51 a.m.

Wynn can play... if he is good enough to beat out to other good QB's he'll be fine. He gets it and with the talent and SPEED around him and the D we have it bodes well. What has me really excited is the debth in talent and speed... the Utes are here to stay. GO UTES!!!!!

• Re: ha ha he he
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:48 a.m.

I love it when insecure cougar fans make ridiculous comments like that. Worry about your own defense before you tell us we are in trouble.

Aug. 15, 2009 9:48 a.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is NUTS! Is Whit CRAZY??! Starting a freshman when he has an experienced and dedicated QB in Louks who already knows the plays and is very capable?? And now Louks is very unhappy with the decision, especially after being named the backup's backup, and is thinking about transferring. IDIOTS!!!! WHIT MUST GO!!!!!

• Ernest T. Bass
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:36 a.m.

Sounds pretty sure of himself for someone who won the spot using the Paper-Scissors-Rock method against the other two QBs.

• Skip H
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:28 a.m.

I'm as surprised (shocked) as anyone by Coach Whit naming a true frosh as No. 1 QB. Obviously the coaches know far more than the rest of us armchair QB's. I guess it's better having too much talent as opposed to not enough.
    Bret Ratliff is in the NFL and no one thought he was 'that' good....so maybe Wynn is da man. I feel bad for Louks...maybe the Utes can use him in some kind of 'Wildcat' formation....
    GO UTES!

• Congrats Wynn
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:17 a.m.

I was pulling for Wynn since I saw him play at the Red/white game last spring. Always liked Louks but did not see him as our starter. After watching a bunch of interviews with Wynn he does totally remind me of Alex Smith. Let's give the guy a chance, for all we know he could be one of the best true freshmen qbs in the country. I'm just glad he wasn't talking about an NC like Heaps was. Typical zoobs, always over-hyping the season before it even starts, to then give their fans an even bigger let down. The Utes will always just take it one game at a time. Congrats Wynn and may you keep that no.1 spot. Go Utes!

• RE YES!
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:02 a.m.

Is that your next brilliant t-shirt idea? How about yes - we're slow
    yes - we're ugly
    yes - we're myopic
    yes - we're pale
    yes, you're a clown. the kitty's will not win the MWC this year. No O-Line, No speed on D, No Clue!

• ha ha he he
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:58 a.m.

And the utes seem to be worried about one freshman starting on BYU line? I would rather our freshman be a lineman than a QB. . .Kyle and the boys are in serious trouble on the hill.

• Wynn
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:54 a.m.

Just Wynn Baby!

• This cannot
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:41 a.m.

be good news. How can a freshman be the best when you have that much experience ahead of him. This is awful and doesn't bode well. Gary must have his team licking its chops for first game.

• RE:YES!
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:21 a.m.

Calm down brotha and step away from your cougar flavored ice cream!

MWC does certainly not = BYU. Utah has put the MWC on the map along with the success of TCU last year. Nobody gives a rip about BYU's 2001 season which was considered about as weak as Hawaii's BCS run a couple years ago. Nobody cares about 2006 and 07 when "if" they coulda woulda, they would have made the BCS. NOBODY CARES!

UTAH is the MWC and its credibility! TCU will follow up this year. You silly coug, you overlook everything and can't see out of the bubble. Maybe you should hope your team doesn't suffer anymore injuries and maybe puts on some pads and hit each other. But with the injury prone powderpuffs of Provo, this would only cause more injury!

Jordan Wynn is surrounded by some of the best talent in the league. Great O-line, great backs, great recievers, and what could be even a better defense! I know its hard for a homer such as yourself to see outa the bubble, but maybe you should clear the glass as its obviously fogged.

• RE: yes
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:07 a.m.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but ding dongs and oreos are a "source of joy" only to BYU co-eds.

• the top of the mountain!
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:04 a.m.

Ha ha wow! Idiotic = byu. Talk about long live mediocrity. The Utes are anything but average I would consider ybu......a team who can't beat a decent out of conference opponent and who hasn't been to a bcs game average at best. Keep hatin cougars man its good to b e a Ute fan! I'll take a BCS WIN every 4 years Go Utes

• Re: YES!
    Aug. 15, 2009 7:34 a.m.

When was the last time BYU beat anybody that was ranked in the top 5 or even 10? Their bowl record, even dating back to when Edwards was coaching them, is aweful. BYU dominated the WAC because all the other teams were truly below average. BYU's fall from your perceived grace is due to the fact everybody else simply got better. You guys lack speed, always will, and never seem to get a defense worth talking about. When the other team has a stout defense and a solid offense - you guys lose. BYU will never be a top 10 program. BYU's honor code, which I admire for its high standards, hurts the program. The team has high quality young men, who will go on to do great things in the public and private sector, but lacks the top athletes needed to break into the BCS.

Aug. 15, 2009 7:27 a.m.

Ever notice how BYU fans always sound like they're mimicking scripture?

But that's besides the point. I'll bet you that Jake Heaps and Bronco are already planning his early arrival after hearing of Wynn's success. It's nice to have a little brother down south to inspire.

UTAH = 2-0 BCS

When you get your second BCS win, come back and talk as equals.

• Re Yes
    Aug. 15, 2009 6:56 a.m.

Your expectations always start out high for the kitty kats and they always turn into mediocity. Can the utes be the team they were last year? Probably not but they will be competitive. if you recall it took only 4 years from the fiesta bowl to the sugar bowl championship for the utes to build into a solid team. The kittys brag every year and go where the Vegas bowl. Wynn may be the next Alex smith we will be patient. go utes

• I like this guy's attitude...
    Aug. 15, 2009 6:42 a.m.

he seems mature beyond his years, he lacks the arrogance/entitlement attitude demonstrated by Louks and so many other athletes.

I'm sure he'll have some growing pains this year, but it will be fun to watch him develop. Here is one Cougar fan who is not betting against him.

• Re: YES! | 1:34 a.m.
    Aug. 15, 2009 6:41 a.m.

It must be a slow news day in Cougarville. Though I noticed that the DN was kind enough to put an article on your board about a 50 year old guy who is taking his "final ride." Sounds like great reading to me, why don't you go have a look?

While you are here, perhaps you can explain to all of us how you calculate the "odds" you refer to above. Also, please explain what "mediocrity like they always do" you are talking about in reference to a team that has been to the BCS twice in 4 years.

I'll help you...mediocrity is what BYU has been wallowing in for the last 25 years. It is easily masked because of their weak conference...which changed about 6 years ago.

• RE: YE!
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:19 a.m.

Just like those little cougies to count their chickens before they win anything important. lol. Is this the third attempt at the "quest" or the 4th? I'll take the Utes "one game at a time" approach. Seems to have garnered a little more national respect. So keep living in la-la land with all the other witches and faries in the bubble down south. You keep counting your preseason wins, and the U will just keep bringin in those other ones (you know, the ones played on the field...). For a team that just lost another lineman you sure do talk a lot of trash. I mean come on! Your defense is so bad they can't even intercept Max Hall!!! And you have 2 freshman starting on your O-line? or 3? And how many defensive lineman have you lost? And who is ranked higher? And why am I arguing the obvious with someone who obviously doesn't understand logic? lol. Utes will roll. GO UTES!

Aug. 15, 2009 1:34 a.m.

My night just got soo much better!! I should have known better but still for the last few months I doubted my gut instinct that utah would follow up their great sugar bowl season with mediocrity like they always do. I doubted my knowledge that this next season for the utes would be average. WHAT A RELIEF!!! Not only is this season going to be at best average, odds are U will win about 7 maybe 8 games now. YOUR FALL WILL BE GREAT! Cant wait to watch it and at the same time see max and the boys hoist the MWC championship trophy. My only advice to utah fans is to load up on ding dongs and oreos cause that will be your only source of joy this fall. Long live mediocrity :) !!! MWC=BYU

• Great story!
    Aug. 15, 2009 12:32 a.m.

They ought to make a movie of this...sort of sequel to Rudy when Jordan and the Utes come off a sweet victory at Cougar Stadium in November. Wait, maybe they ought to wait until after the victorious bowl game win. KEEP GOIN UTES!

• Congratulations Wynn
    Aug. 15, 2009 12:08 a.m.

Will he be able to KEEP the weight on, or will he have to continue with his 2am feedings?

• cbadutefan