Sports

BYU football: Starting left guard out for season

Comments

• Faithless
    Aug. 17, 2009 8:10 a.m.

Just a couple of comments for the faithless posters. Reynolds will be back in time for the Oklahoma game. He will help greatly, but the young BYU o-line will be challenged by the Oklahoma D with or without injuries. Bronco is much more aware of the effect of injury to his team than was his predecessor. I've also heard him be criticized for not having enough live scrimmage. BYU fans can't have it both ways. (no injuries and more contact) Finally, luck is involved with a team's injuries. Some years are good and others are bad.

• Re: Who?
    Aug. 16, 2009 7:18 p.m.

You can't be serious, please tell me you were joking.

• Who?
    Aug. 16, 2009 7:54 a.m.

To: And who will do it then? | 1:29 p.m.

Bring back Crowton.

• Already?
    Aug. 16, 2009 7:52 a.m.

TO: FIRE BRONCO | 9:16 a.m.

He has not lost to Utah and you want to fire him already?
    Be real!

• Appreciative
    Aug. 16, 2009 1:04 a.m.

As a BYU fan I will say I appreciate the somewhat supportive perspective by even some of the Ute fans with the injuries, because they've been there before. Some of our "fans" need to learn how to deal with opposition and still hope for the best and have faith in our team.

• Ute Fans
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:23 p.m.

When I moved up here I heard that Ute fans hate BYU first and love their school second. Judging by the comments made about articles in the newspaper, I would say that is a fair assessment of some of their fans.

You would think two BCS games would distract them even a little bit, but they are more interested in pretending to be BYU fans making ridiculous comments on some article

• Anonymous
    Aug. 15, 2009 7:29 p.m.

Honestly people? I'm sure some of you wouldve fired lavell when he started this whole chat about putting down bronco is a joke. I'd love to see someone do a better job than him at byu. Byu probably won't win Oklahoma and if they do all y'all will have amazing excuses why we did. I can hear it now. Um um well Oklahoma must not be that good. People are reduculous.

• Virgil Carter
    Aug. 15, 2009 7:26 p.m.

I don't think Max has what it takes to play against OU. Personally, I believe that if Max walks out of that stadium on his own two feet it will be a miracle. Bronco has brought us this far but I don't believe he has what's needed to take us over the top. Never the less go Cougars!

• Weird
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:57 p.m.

I am so glad I left your lovely state 30 years ago and that I am not raising my children there. You guys are just plain strange.

• Cool Y Fan
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:34 p.m.

U alum here, but I have to give kudos to 'Hey "Fire Bronco" for quoting from one of my favorite movies - "Kelly's Heroes" was fantastic!!

Seeing Gavin McLeod in his pre-"Love Boat" days is always amusing. And Donald Sutherland was great too: "That's paint, you dummy!"

"Woof. Woof woof."

GO UTES!!

• Crazyjohn
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:20 p.m.

I still think this game comes down to coaching. If BYU wins or loses it will be because of coaching. Call me crazy but as far as physical talent amongst the teams there is a small gap between them... or at least not enough to determine the result of the game on mere talent alone. Coaching!

• Remember
    Aug. 15, 2009 4:13 p.m.

I am a huge Ute fan season ticket holder. I remember one game in particular a few years back. Down goes Asiata, Down goes Johnson and a several other players. The fans wanted Whitt's head. After last year you can't say that anymore. Getting the younger guys to step and help benefits to whole program. Keep your heads up and it will pay off. Good Luck Jason from a fellow Lancer in West Valley.

• The Truth
    Aug. 15, 2009 3:16 p.m.

Stop the chit-chat

OK 69 BYU 3

• gdog3
    Aug. 15, 2009 2:58 p.m.

Wow, I would love to have my voice heard more as a fan, but the comments here contain such a high level of ignorance. To those that I have a problem with in general: Have an opinion based on legit predicates. Stop making blanket non-applicable comments that are just inserted inductively to match your conclusions. I am a Ute fan that struggles with patience on listening to fans on both sides have their minds made up before their first premis is created. Inductive reasoning has it's place, but come on cougar fans. For the fire Bronco dingbats; who would be better for the job? I can't stand BYU, but appreciate what Bronco does for your program. Do I think he is an oddball who rubs me the wrong way? Yes, but do you Bronco haters have any idea the challenges that Mendenhall faces as head coach of BYU. Here's a couple: 1) a lack of athleticism. 2) unrealistic expectations from fanbase. 3) Depth issues. 4) practice restrictions. 5) missionary fluxuation. 6) ECT... Whittingham would not be able to do the things at BYU that he can at the U of U. Cougars, Bronco is your guy.

• Don't ever count BYU out!
    Aug. 15, 2009 2:57 p.m.

Here's where the real coaching begins. K-whit didn't do squat in seasons where injuries were a factor. BYU will challenge for the MWC title yet again this year.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 15, 2009 2:30 p.m.

It only takes listening to Coach Mendenhall for a couple of minutes to know that he's a great coach and know's what he's doing. And he is a lot more classy than Whitingham.

• Ouch, this hurts!
    Aug. 15, 2009 2:29 p.m.

Injuries like this are unstoppable. It is just happens and its unfortunate. I wish Speredon could be out there and I look forward to his return next year.

What BYU faces with replacing the o-line from last year and so many injuries now, would be a blow to any team. If BYU can overcome this it will be incredible. But there are a few weeks before game time, so hopefully replacements can get solid preparation.

Still think there are only three teams on BYU's schedule that should be favored against the Cougs and Utah isn't one of them. It will be tough to win the MWC over TCU this year though, but the offensive line may be at its best when the TCU game rolls around. This is going to be a tough season. For conference play at least, it is better to be banged up early than late. Just hope no more injuries plague our team. Can't wait until our players start dishing out pain to our opponents rather than to ourselves.

• Put in Jesse Taufi
    Aug. 15, 2009 1:36 p.m.

I don't know why Coach Weber doesn't put Jesse Taufi in. The guy is a Junior, a JC transfer, and a former USC recruit. That way by the time Matt Reynolds gets better we won't have any freshman or walk ons starting. In the meantime having Braden Hansen seems to be the next best choice. He has impressed coaches in a similar way Reynolds did his freshman year. But by the opener with Oklahoma we could still have Nick Alleto, Terrance Brown, R.J. Willing, Jesse Taufi, and Matt Reynolds as the starting line. That is still a very solid group. I hope they wise up and put Jesse Taufi in there.

• And who will do it then?
    Aug. 15, 2009 1:29 p.m.

Who would head coach BYU better than Mendenhall? You?

• Rick Jensen
    Aug. 15, 2009 1:10 p.m.

I disagree. Bronco did an admirable job cleaning up after crowton, but it is now time for a new coach that can get us to the next level. We are not keeping pace with Utah. Time for Bronco to hang it up.

• 3 years in a row.
    Aug. 15, 2009 12:21 p.m.

BYU has finished the past 3 seasons ranked in the top 25. When has a MWC conference ever done that before? I realize that some people might not like new things, but trust me this new thing is good. If you want to talk about firing Bronco, at least wait until finishes a season out of the top 25.

• Bleeding Blue
    Aug. 15, 2009 11:55 a.m.

Back-to-back injuries on the weakest part of the team is a horrible break going into possibly the toughest game BYU has ever played. I don't care how good the freshman is, he's going against opponents who were better athletes out of high school and who have been lifting and training for four years to boot. This hss the pottential to be ugly. But remember Austin's Axiom: "When you're doing what's right, on and off the field, the Lord steps in and plays a part." There's no better time or place to put faith and clean living to the test. Go Cougs!

• Hey "FIRE BRONCO"
    Aug. 15, 2009 10:24 a.m.

Either you are a ute fan in cloak or an outlandish, brash, uniformed Cougar fan thats quick to pull the plug. To quote Oddball from Kelly's Heros: "I don't like those negative vibes baby".

• Anonymous
    Aug. 15, 2009 10:06 a.m.

What? Bronco is a cool biker dude. We need a coach like that.

I loved the Quest for Perfection. I admire the five priorities designed to give himself job security. I love the way he will "get a kid through a tough time" like a mother instead of saying..."when you play a high risk sport, you could get hurt. Deal with it like an adult."

Hmmmm, now that I stop to think about, he's kind of strange.

• tom in lehi
    Aug. 15, 2009 10:02 a.m.

It really does seem like bronco is losing it.

• ute fan first
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:51 a.m.

Although I'm a Ute fan, I still cheer for BYU on other games, especially against BCS teams. I almost bought tickets to take my father ( a Y alum) to Dallas for this game, but just listening to your comments here, you've already lost mentally.

Better pull your heads out or your season is over before it starts.

Good luck against OK

Go Utes!

• Re:manaen
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:49 a.m.

You were going to get ESPN. I thought you were going to say you were going to the game. Calling you cheap is being kind...

• Agree
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:48 a.m.

Maybe its time for Bronco to go somewhere else. Would Leach be interested? Maybe Andy Reed...

All I know is that the game has passed up bronco.

• Flames6
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:46 a.m.

Hope Heaps can recruit some linemen for you guys down the line. I heard that the 2011 class will be special. Enough about this lets go have some ice cream. Oops, I heard that's running out too !

• re: manaen
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:45 a.m.

Wow, really - you don't have espn? What century are you living in? I hope you were able to get your free government coupon for you digital converter box. Are you the guy that had a bunch of aluminum foil on your rabbit ears.

BYU fans, wake up, get a big boy job, join the 21st century and get ESPN. Is it really any wonder that byu fans are so misinformed?!

• wsr
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:34 a.m.

Injuries are never predictable, but I thought the program had a conditioning guru. The injuries thus far have occurred while playing tag and two days of actual hitting.

• manaen
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:18 a.m.

This may have saved me a few dollars -- was going to get ESPN to watch the Okla and Tulane games -- now, maybe not

• FIRE BRONCO
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:16 a.m.

Fire bronco right now! Bronco needs to go. He does not know how to make adjustments, does not know how to practice (injuries galore), does not know how to make adjustments in a game or is just too stubborn (getting torched by TCU, CSU, UNLV, Utah, and Arizona). Utah hasn't had any injuries. We should have offered Whittingham more money, as he is clearly the better coach. We need a change.

• TrueRed
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:08 a.m.

A redshirt Freshman is the next in-line?

Boy, sound like the Donko has been having too much fun (to quote his words)!!!

• ban football
    Aug. 15, 2009 9:06 a.m.

not for human body

• Watch out
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Watch out Max, there's a huge hit coming from the blind side. Concussion or separated shoulder during the first half. Sooner defense will smoosh the Coogs inexperienced front line.

• Let's Be Realistic
    Aug. 15, 2009 8:17 a.m.

If we were opening against Tulane we may be able to hang in there with this VERY inexperienced and thin line. But we are opening against probably the most talented front seven in the entire nation. And remember that several Oklahoma players passed on the NFL to try to win a NC - they are also very motivated. My biggest hope is not a win in Dallas but that somehow Max Hall comes out of that game standing and able to play the next week. I love Hall but last season he showed his one weakness is facing big time pressure. Oklahoma will bring more pressure than TCU, Utah and Arizona combined.

• Re: Come on O-line
    Aug. 15, 2009 7:56 a.m.

result: 9-4 season with a loss in LV bowl in addition to losses on 9/5, 9/19, 11/28

Not bad at all!!!

• Buckeye Ute
    Aug. 15, 2009 7:52 a.m.

I live in Columbus, Ohio. On the sports radio station here they do a feature called 30 teams in 30 days. Yesterday they did BYU and had Bronco on. They asked about the injury and about how young the O-line was. Bronco said that the line had capable players. I don't think that bodes well for BYU. Most coaches are conservative about talking about their teams, but calling a player capable is like saving the girl you are trying to set your friend up with has a sweet spirit. I could be a tough year for you guys. I hope the O-line is better than capable because as a Ute fan we need a good BYU team to beat at the end of the year to keep our profile high.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 15, 2009 7:02 a.m.

This must mean that Mendenhall is actually practicing our guys. Not only that, he is using contact. We will certainly be ready this year...those guys up North are going to be in big trouble in November. Mendenhall is doing so many different things things this year. Thanks Coach, you're the BEST!

• Anonymous
    Aug. 15, 2009 6:56 a.m.

TCU is looking more and more like the conference front runner. They will represent us well, no doubt.

• Eugene
    Aug. 15, 2009 6:56 a.m.

Ouch!

The defense must be pretty aggressive if they keep hurting their own offensive players. We need to turn that aggression against the upcoming opponents starting with OK before we decimate our own offense!

Too many close calls and now a season-ending injury. Practice smart and play OK smarter!

• Come on O-line!
    Aug. 15, 2009 1:40 a.m.

I think these guys know there is a lot riding on their shoulders. I don't doubt they'll play their guts out and leave everything out on the field. I think it will translate into results for us.

• RE:Angel
    Aug. 15, 2009 12:49 a.m.

This is good news? how old are you 10. Here's a guy that just ended his entire season and your calling it good news. I'm a Ute fan and feel worse for this guy than you do. Typical Cougar fan, don't even care about your own players.

• Dude
    Aug. 15, 2009 12:11 a.m.

This is crap. You know what this means right? We literally have 12 O-lineman left on the roster that can play right now, that includes walk ons, the new freshman, and the guys who are in place to start.

This freaking hurts. It will be okay though. I really have heard good things about Moose, he'll do a good job. It sucks to loose Jason though. He looked tough. He didn't have the typical "fat man" build, he was athletic at the OL spot, just a big guy with stregnth and mobility, but again I've heard good things about Moose.

I almost wonder if some of the new freshman might get some looks. Guys like Terry Alleto, Tui Crichton, and Ryan Mulitalo were pretty highly recruited. Come on O-line we NEED you guys!!!

• Running Backs
    Aug. 14, 2009 11:23 p.m.

won't do any good if there aren't any holes to run through. Every team they play will bring the heat on every play knowing they're young and inexperienced on the o-line.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 14, 2009 11:03 p.m.

Hall is going to have to have a very quick release on the ball! Hes going to have to have a running back that can carry the ball as well to help releave some of the presure.

• Hey Angel!
    Aug. 14, 2009 10:22 p.m.

Yes, I know what you mean... sometimes I'm not sure if I'm seeing Hall or Mike Vick out there as they're both so fast! ;).

• Angel
    Aug. 14, 2009 9:58 p.m.

This is good news because the new recruits are the best class that BYU has ever had. This will let them play faster and develop sooner. Hall is too fast to let Oklahoma's defense hit him anyway.

• Not Good...
    Aug. 14, 2009 9:16 p.m.

Could injuries start piling up at a worse time? now we are down to a freshman starting at guard and we may not even have Reyonds back in time for the oklahoma game.

• Dear Hans Olson
    Aug. 14, 2009 7:40 p.m.

This is why the cougs have to watch it. This is why Mendenhall knows more about his team than you do. He could let the dogs go and beat each other up in practice, but he's also very realistic. We don't have depth like USC to let them go at it like you want. Use your head sometimes.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 14, 2009 7:39 p.m.

Here comes Oklahoma! They will POUND through that weak, inexperienced front line and tear Hall apart!

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 14, 2009 7:36 p.m.

I agree with K-dog.

This ain't good....

Good luck, Cougs!

• Taylor
    Aug. 14, 2009 7:35 p.m.

This is not going to be a good season. You can't win without a strong line. To bad every other position is strong.

• K-dog
    Aug. 14, 2009 7:29 p.m.

This really stink! What's next Unga or Hall? Come on boys, take it easy on each other! Oklahoma's is only a few weeks away.