Utah

4-year-old Orem boy run over, killed in driveway

He was hit while lying on driveway at his home

• Mark J. Morgan
    Oct. 2, 2009 2:02 a.m.

My heart ached for everyone involved when I first heard this story 2 months ago. I just learned it was your son, Quinn. Words sound so shallow. Your family will forever be changed and refined by this experience. We are left behind, while Cooper is back home...soon (his time) to be joined by his loving family in a great reunion. Not soon enough from our perspective. My prayer will be that the Spirit will comfort your family in His fullest manifestation.

• Sad parent
    Aug. 17, 2009 10:57 a.m.

Geesh! This happens way too much. Adults need to start watching out for these little guys. The parents need realize that it only take a moment to lose a child. I am sad for the parents and the aunt, too. Very sad indeed.

• Josie
    Aug. 17, 2009 10:27 a.m.

We all should learn from others mistakes-such as this one! You know they are always on the rush to get somewhere-specially teenage and early 20's drivers!
    Taking extra time when backing up, and yes,
    checking under and sides of the vehicle is the key!
    Life is so very precious and so just take time!!!
    (Here is to all rush and fast drivers out there!)

• You'll see him again....
    Aug. 17, 2009 10:08 a.m.

We're thankful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
    May you and your Family and your loss know that you'll
    him again... someday!
    Our Lord, Jesus Christ is here to help you. All you have to do is ask him and pray to him

• Mom in San Diego
    Aug. 6, 2009 7:56 p.m.

My heart is filled with sadness with the news of your little Cooper. He and your family have been in our thoughts and prayers. I have my first grandbaby and Cooper will help me remember to be extra careful. Bless all of you.

• Scott Riley
    Aug. 6, 2009 9:48 a.m.

Oh Quinn:

Awful to renew an old friendship this way. I am sure the Heavens shook as your heart broke as ours has to learn of this tragedy, but it won't be long before you'll be pushing him on a Celestial swing and all will be as it was. We are with you today and always.

• Alex and Kristen Ituma
    Aug. 5, 2009 10:50 p.m.

Our hearts are aching for your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers. May the Lord comfort you and your family through this difficult time.

• NIGHTMARE!!!
    Aug. 5, 2009 11:00 a.m.

Oh my gosh!! What a nightmare for this poor family. I'm sure the aunt is crushed by this as well. It is really hard to see kids sometimes as hard as you try but with that many kids around it would have been right to take a walk around the vehicle first ...but hind sight is always 20/20. This is a terrible tragedy that will cause unimaginable pain for a long long time. Hope the family and the aunt are getting the support they need.

• anonymous
    Aug. 5, 2009 10:31 a.m.

I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray for your family. Remember it was an accident. Remember the good times. From what I have read, your family is filled with love, and your little boy was very much loved also. Pray!! Know that you will see each other again.

• The Rogers Family
    Aug. 5, 2009 10:04 a.m.

Quinn and Jana--

We are heartbroken for you and want you to know that our love and prayers are with your beautiful family in this difficult time.

Love, Tracy and Sherri (Gunnell) Rogers

• A Mom
    Aug. 5, 2009 5:23 a.m.

Yes Families ARE Forever. To paraphrase Elizabeth Edwards: "Death looks different when you have buried someone you love". I'm sure there were many loved ones gone before that met your sweet "Coop" just as I'm sure that he will be there for you.
    God Bless You

• andrea
    Aug. 4, 2009 9:38 a.m.

FAMILIES ARE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Quinn, Jana, and Wendy
    Aug. 4, 2009 12:07 a.m.

We are deeply saddened to hear about your tragic loss of your sweet son. We love you and want you to know that your family is in our thoughts and prayers.
    Brian & Cindi(Berry) Watkins

• so sorry
    Aug. 3, 2009 2:10 p.m.

my expedition came with a mechanism that beeps when you are about to hit something while backing up. The closer you get the faster it beeps. This should be mandatory on all vehicles. God bless.

• The Freemans
    Aug. 3, 2009 1:47 p.m.

Quinn

My family offers its sincere condolences at this very difficult time. You were my rock in the most difficult of times on the mission and I feel these few words are very inadequate. While nothing ever silences the pain or loss, it's our faith that compels us to move forward. lease know we love and pray for your family.

-BLF

• The Neeley Family
    Aug. 3, 2009 1:02 p.m.

Dear Ones,
    Our hearts are aching with you in this tragedy. Tears and prayers are flowing in your behalf. We have always been amazed at the unity and strength of your families in times of sadness and challenges. Angels are gathered on both sides of the veil to strengthen and wrap you in love. We all send our love and blessings and prayers.

• Alpine Observer
    Aug. 3, 2009 12:12 a.m.

A sparrow has fallen to the ground, and our Heavenly Father notices and knows the ache and grief of those left to live life absent one of their own. But there is a fount of sacred support that they will have available to carry them through the immediate and most acute pain of loss, as well as down the road, through the months and years and decades when they see other 4-year-olds who will remind them of their little boy.

"He that believeth in me..." Lean on the promise and on the love of those around you.

• Family to Family
    Aug. 2, 2009 10:27 p.m.

My heart is broken for all involved. May the love of those around you and the love of God help you in the days ahead. May you be comforted during this time and know that your extended family will be lifting you up in prayer.

Jamie and family

• Anonymous
    Aug. 2, 2009 6:59 p.m.

I commented on the statements in the article that said 2 kids per week die in the US from being backed over. It also said this has happpened at least 3 times in four months in Utah. I did the math and said approx 10% of the deaths during this time happened in Utah, yet we're not 10% of the population. I did not point the finger of blame in this terrible tragedy. I expressed condolences and asked people to be more careful. My comment was not posted. It is highly inappropriate for DN to censor non abusive comments about the story. I've noticed they're all condolences. There are places in the obit section to do that. This is a forum for all opinions to be expressed. Condolences are fine, but they shouldn't be the only thing allowed.

• B Rossiter
    Aug. 2, 2009 5:17 p.m.

To the Kofford and Worsley families: We pray that His comforting arms will encircle your families and sustain you during this trial. We send our love and prayers and cherish the memories we have of you and all of your loved ones.

Ron and Barbara Rossiter

• Anonymous
    Aug. 2, 2009 4:44 p.m.

Jana, Wendy, Michelle, and the rest of the family, I am so terribly sorry about this tragedy you are all having to face. We are fasting and praying for you and hope you can find comfort. Stay strong together. From what I know of your family, you will have your faith of forever families. My heart is broken for you.
    Jill Pilkington

• Modesto Rodríguez
    Aug. 2, 2009 4:03 a.m.

Querida Familia Kofford: En estos momentos ms duro de vuestras vidas,es mi deseo y oracin que seis confortados y consolados directamente de la mano de Nuestro Padre Celestial, Jesucristo y el Espiritu Santo. Realmente la tragedia no est en la muerte, sino en el pecado. Cooper, debe ser uno de los grandes de la preexistencia y vosotros tenis el honor de participar con l de los vinculos eternos de la familia. Qu Dios os siga bendiciendo.
    Un abrazo muy fuerte.
    M. Rodrguez

• KP
    Aug. 1, 2009 9:27 p.m.

My heart is so broken for this family. I am so sorry for this family and I pray they have the strength to move forward, especially the aunt.

• Minnesota
    Aug. 1, 2009 8:36 p.m.

You are in our prayers. We love you!
    The Kolbergs

• Quinn, Jana & Wendy:
    Aug. 1, 2009 8:31 p.m.

All of our family and close friends here in Canada grieve with you. We were devastated to hear about delightful little Cooper now in heaven above. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. God bless. Our very best love, Dalt and Karen.

• Our Prayers are with you
    Aug. 1, 2009 8:03 p.m.

Our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out to both families. May you have our Savior's comfort and love wrapped around you in the coming days.

• Mckinlee Winterton
    Aug. 1, 2009 7:06 p.m.

I love you guys. I am deeply sorry for your unfortunate loss. I love you hunter:) you guys are in my prayers.

• cards
    Aug. 1, 2009 6:16 p.m.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless your eternal family.

• Paul and Linda Duncombe
    Aug. 1, 2009 5:36 p.m.

We send our love, thoughts and prayers to both Kofford and Worsley families at this most difficult time. May you be sustained with faith hope and assurance of the eternal nature of life. We have been blessed to know and be influenced by both of your families throughout our lives and know that the Lord will sustain you. Love, Paul and Linda Duncombe

• Erika Mouritsen
    Aug. 1, 2009 5:10 p.m.

Dear Koffords!
    I love you all and you are all so amazing! We will all miss Cooper! You are in my families prayers! Love you!

• Dear Jana, Quinn & Wendy
    Aug. 1, 2009 4:53 p.m.

My deepest sorrow and grief and hope are sent to the entire Kofford and Worsley families along with a total reassurance that you will have Cooper with you for the Eternities. May the Lord comfort and bless you with His love and goodness especially at this most difficult time with peace and understanding to those I have known and respected for so many, many years. Your friend, Sam Broadhead

• JRowan
    Aug. 1, 2009 4:49 p.m.

Koffords, Know that you are in our thoughts & prayers during this difficult time. What a comfort to know that we can be eternal families.
    With love,
    The Rowans

• President Valencia
    Aug. 1, 2009 3:53 p.m.

Dear Quinn and Jana, Lynette and I want you to know how sorry we are about this terrible accident. Yet we know that our Heavenly Father could have prevented it if He needed to. It is obvious that He needs a special little boy like Cooper by His side to keep Him happier until you go and claim him from Him for the rest of eternity. Until then, rest assured that he could not be in better hands and he wants you to know he's doing great with the Jesus he has heard so much about and now he knows personally, and his Heavenly Father also. We love you and you are in our prayers constantly, that the Lord will comfort you and all your family at this great time of need. With all our love.
    President & Sister Valencia

• jcbrailsford
    Aug. 1, 2009 1:32 p.m.

Quinn & Jana,

It's hard to accept what I just read. I've known you for a while now. What a wonderful family you are. I'm convinced that Cooper received more love in the four short years that he lived with you than many children will receive in an entire lifetime. What a regret that he couldn't stay with you here. What a relief that he'll be waiting for you there. I certainly hope that the grief you must feel now when you think of your little boy will continually be healed until the memory and the dream of him bring only peace.

Our family will be praying for you and your family every day.

JCB

• Anonymous
    Aug. 1, 2009 10:22 a.m.

Horrible story. Sorry to all.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 1, 2009 9:58 a.m.

What a horrible thing. Hope you will be comforted at this time...

• Just another Mother
    Aug. 1, 2009 9:38 a.m.

With my deepest most sincere sympathy, I pray for you to have strength, faith, and support as you mourn your loss; and yet at the same time, I rejoice for you that you were blessed with the GIFT of your child's life and your witness of the greatest miracle...the Love of our Creator. I pray that you have peace in Spirit by knowing that your Son completed his mission here on earth and returned home to our Creator, leaving you with loving memories. Lean now on love of family and friends still with you and know that your loving Cooper is only as far away as the memories you hold in your heart. His love of life is testimony that he was loved and cherished and a ray of light that comes from a loving family. Our people say that we are rich by loving family and friends. Clearly you are blessed with unending richness. To the parents, siblings,grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends, I ask for Our Creator to bless you and bring you comfort during your time of grief, and thank him for the gift he gave you in the life of your son. Aho

• kathryn
    Aug. 1, 2009 8:01 a.m.

Loving. Serving. Caring. Giving. These are a few words that describe the Koffords. Two more loving, protective, responsible parents would be hard to find. Their children are everything to them. An aunt that loved Cooper as her own. There will be no blame, only intense, sincere love and support. They will feel her pain and strive every day to lift it from her.

Accidents happen, and we can only know that it is in the Lord's hands. To be in their home, to know the parents, to observe their wonderful children, you could see there were so many safeguards in place on every level. The love and peace felt in that home was palatable. No one comes in contact with Quinn, Jana Lynn or the children without leaving lifted up and happier.

My heart will forever be with them, in their grief now, and in the examples they will be for all of us.

Precious Kofford Family, intense prayers and Love are with you. You have the privilege of having your beloved Cooper forever and ever.

• sorrow
    Aug. 1, 2009 7:27 a.m.

Who could read this without feeling such sorrow for this family?

We pray you can be comforted and blessed.

• Julie
    Aug. 1, 2009 3:06 a.m.

Please know that you are being prayed for by many. What a beautiful family- and how wonderful to know you are an eternal family! We will continue to keep you in our prayers and I am going to go tell my family that I love them- because accidents happen. May the peace of our Savior be with you.

• Victor
    Aug. 1, 2009 12:24 a.m.

These news are so sad, I am overwhelmed with sadness. Accidental children's deaths are always so difficult, and that is an understatement. I am praying for all of these people: parents and siblings of the child, aunt, grandparents, the other children present... I pray God will help you carry on through these difficult times, hopefully little shimmers of peace and love will invade your hearts this very night. I also pray a good professional counselor can help you establish perspective eventually. God bless you. God bless you. You are not alone, the community is praying for you.

• Sudweeks
    Aug. 1, 2009 12:19 a.m.

In this short time we have grown to love you Jana so much! Our hearts go out to you and to your family. May God bless you and wrap his arms of comfort around you!! Our prayers are with you and your loved ones!
    -Anne and Kimberly

• God bless
    July 31, 2009 10:50 p.m.

God bless these two sisters and all the children, the fathers, grandparents, the neighbors, everyone. Many hearts are drawn out to you in love and sympathy. All will be well eventually. May you be sustained through this terrible trial. Know that your child is well in the Savior's arms. Hold on to each other.

• James
    July 31, 2009 10:32 p.m.

Quinn - you were a great inspiration to me as a young man. I am so very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

• Walker Kids
    July 31, 2009 9:51 p.m.

We are so sorry. Cooper was so cute and nice. Best Wishes. Love, the Walker Kids.

• Elsie
    July 31, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Quinn and Jana, We are very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you in these difficult moments.

• Rebecca
    July 31, 2009 9:43 p.m.

The Lord calls us home when it is our time. We should never ask ourselves "what if". My heart and prayers are with these families. I hope and pray that the Lord strengthens all who are effected by this little boy's passing.

• Leticia
    July 31, 2009 9:29 p.m.

Jana and Wendy, your families’ thoughts and prayers are with you. Anything you need you know we are here for you. Love the Karrington’s

• A heart-broken father
    July 31, 2009 9:20 p.m.

I wanted to read comments to help me grieve, even though I don't know this family. Little Cooper represents what is most precious to all of us. There is no loss so painful. Let us all mourn together and love each other more and be kinder because of our shared pain.

• Anonymous
    July 31, 2009 9:06 p.m.

I can't even imagine what the family must be going through right now - especially the aunt. This is such a tragic story and my heart breaks for all of them.

• Jessie
    July 31, 2009 7:35 p.m.

This is such a sad, unfortunate accident. It was just that....an accident. I hope family, friends, church members, and the community will continue to extend their love, care, and help to this sweet family.

I am sure the aunt feels horrible.

• J.O.
    July 31, 2009 7:27 p.m.

May God's spirit be with all the families involved. It was an accident. Our prayers are with all.

• God Bless
    July 31, 2009 6:51 p.m.

Bless that little boy and his entire family. May you all be able to look to Christ for comfort during this difficult time. Our prayers are with you.

• horrible
    July 31, 2009 6:47 p.m.

Absolutely horrible thing to have happened. Such a painful loss. for everyone. God bless them and us.

• Anonymous
    July 31, 2009 6:33 p.m.

God bless the family as well as the aunt.

• Seriously.......
    July 31, 2009 6:12 p.m.

Any comment on here should simply be, you are in our prayers. Stop the nasty comments.

Our heartfelt prayers are with everyone involved. May you be comforted by those you love, and most importantly by our Father in Heaven.

• Anonymous
    July 31, 2009 6:06 p.m.

I am crying as I type this. I have a four year old grandson and cannot imagine the depth of their anguish. The fact that a beloved aunt is responsible only deepens it. The grandparents have to deal with the loss of their precious grandson, his Mother's pain and the other daughter who was driving. My heart goes out to them. They are in my prayers. Heaven, please help them.

• look!
    July 31, 2009 5:29 p.m.

Seriously....it's amazing how often this has happened recently. I can't believe it happens this often....

• Prayers
    July 31, 2009 5:25 p.m.

Our prayers are with this family in this time of need.

• Heartbreaking
    July 31, 2009 4:21 p.m.

I don't think I can stand to read the news anymore, and hear of little children being accidently killed. If it is that painful to me, I cannot even imagine the pain the parents and family are feeling. Thinking of their pain, then causes me more pain and the cycle continues.

Such sobering and painful news. May the family find peace at this time.